What are you currently reading? Post here!

[quote name='Jabrim']Just finished reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy and just started Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

- Jason[/QUOTE]

The Road is awesome.

Get Capone: The Secret Plot that Captured America's Most Wanted Gangster is waiting for me at my local library. Hope to get it this weekend.

Just finished Wings of Wrath by C.S. Friedman - really, really good. Great dark fantasy with very morally ambigous heroes/heroines. Really havent' read anything by here that I didn't like. Coldfire trilogy is very good as well.

[quote name='Maklershed']The Road is awesome.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I loved it, didn't read "No Country for Old Men" but save the movie and loved it. Bought "All the pretty horses" by Cormac McCarthy and am going to read that sometime soon.

- Jason

[quote name='crunchb3rry']The third book has an "event" that will just blow your fucking mind and you'll probably stop reading for a few minutes just to process what happened. I get goosebumps imagining how it's going to transition to the screen for the HBO series.[/QUOTE]

i know i know, im reading this book dreadfully slow... but im pretty sure i just got to the "event" and indeed i put the book down for a few minutes. maybe something else will happen in the last couple hundred pages but im not sure anything that happens will be as epic as this.
robb, catelyn and arya were all just killed at the twins

and if thats not what you were referring to just smile and nod

Oh, that's definitely what I was referring to. Totally blew my mind when I first read it because of how it was written. fucking brutal.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Started The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky last night. Figured I should read some real literature after reading nothing but fantasy/sci fi lately.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Quillion']Tell me how it is. I'm working my way through some canon, and need to pick something for after Kafka, but the length of TBK is daunting.[/QUOTE]

Finally finished this. Took right at 2 months since I only read a bit a night a few nights a week.

In all, I don't think it was worth the time. Not a bad book, but pretty dull and overlong and the themes of faith/doubt didn't do much for me in their presentation etc.

Factor in that I probably could have read 4-5 shorter books in that time, and I can't reccomend it.

I liked Crime and Punishment a lot more, so if you haven't read that, I'd suggest that if you want to read something by Dostoyevsky.

Not 100% sure what I'll start up next, thinking about Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk--will read the sample on my Kindle in a bit and buy it if I like it. If not I'll look through other samples I have and find something.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Finally finished this. Took right at 2 months since I only read a bit a night a few nights a week.

In all, I don't think it was worth the time. Not a bad book, but pretty dull and overlong and the themes of faith/doubt didn't do much for me in their presentation etc.

Factor in that I probably could have read 4-5 shorter books in that time, and I can't reccomend it.

I liked Crime and Punishment a lot more, so if you haven't read that, I'd suggest that if you want to read something by Dostoyevsky.

Not 100% sure what I'll start up next, thinking about Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk--will read the sample on my Kindle in a bit and buy it if I like it. If not I'll look through other samples I have and find something.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry to hear BK was a disappointment! I had been looking forward to it after reading Crime and Punishment. I'll still give it a read at some point but it's a lesser priority.

I'm close to finishing the Icelandic tale Njal's Saga and Milton's Paradise Lost.
After that I'll get into Camus's The Plague. Though it's in French so it'll probably take a long while.

Njal's Saga is hilarious. I love the old Icelandic sense of humor. Everything is understated but all the more striking for it.

Thorgrim the Easterling went and began to climb up on the hall; Gunnar sees that a red kirtle passed before the windowslit, and thrusts out his halberd, and smote him on the middle. Thorgrim's feet slipped from under him, and he dropped his shield, and down he toppled from the roof.

Then he goes to Gizur and his band as they sat on the ground.
Gizur looked at him and said, "Well, is Gunnar at home?

"Find that out for yourselves," said Thorgrim; "but I know that his halberd certainly is." and with that he fell down dead.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='2DMention']I think I might start World War Z that I got for Christmas from my Dad.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you should. One of the few zombie books that really live up to the hype.

I'm finishing up Pride and Prejudice. I am amazed by how much I am in love with this book. I was reading it to get some background for Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, but I am enjoying the original so much. Now I'm really excited for the walking dead version.

Finished Treasure Island and on to Ship of Fools

314b92Ynw7L._SL500_AA266_PIkin2,BottomRight,-5,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Really digging it so far

Reading "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" for the billionth time. I'll probably read "Battle Royale" again after that and then go pick up a copy of "Ender's Game".

I'm almost done with The Value of Nothing: How to Reshape Market Society and Redefine Democracy.
http://www.amazon.com/Value-Nothing...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274286536&sr=8-1

It shatters a lot of the conventional "wisdom" on markets. For example, as to humans being intrinsically greedy and motivated solely by that is clearly false. He shows how, greed varies across cultures. Also, selfishness operates out of different parts of the brain than altruism which tears apart the notion that free market extremists posit on altruism really being about self gain. And A LOT more is broken down! Let me know if you read this.

I'm working through the original Conan the Barbarian series by Robert E. Howard. After I'm done reading those, I'm going to play the Age of Conan MMO, because its based on the original short stories. I'm digging the stories so far (writing style reminds me of Lovecraft).

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']bout a quarter of the way through a feast for crows.

didnt like how the book started out, but its starting to find its groove.[/QUOTE]

You're almost there! And by that, I mean you'll start visiting George's site every day wondering when the fuck the next book is coming. At least your wait will be shorter.

Reading a history of the Crusades by Johnathan Riley-Smith and working on the Crown of Stars series by Kate Elliot. Both are pretty good so far. Finally finished The Proud Tower by Barbara Tuchman and it was, without a doubt, the best social history I have ever read and taught me a great deal that I did not know about the history of the generation leading up to WW1.

Just finished Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk last night.

It was pretty good. It's written entirely in broken English as it's from the viewpoint of a foreign youth from some totalitarian state raised and brainwashed to carry out a terrorist attack.

So takes a while to get the hang of reading the language. Once you do it's pretty much typical Palahniuk fare with the anti-consumerist/capitalist bent, some gross violence etc. That's also one of it's weaknesses, as it feels like something all Palahniuk fans have read before. Unlike say, Rant which was a good bit different. It's much better than Snuff at least!

Next I'm going to put the Kindle down and read a physical book for the first time since getting my Kindle. Have a hardcover of Until I Find You by John Irving that I bought used a couple years back. Watching The Ciderhouse Rules last week motivated me to finally start it. I loved that book, as well as The Hotel New Hampshire by him.

[quote name='ian1418']Reading a history of the Crusades by Johnathan Riley-Smith and working on the Crown of Stars series by Kate Elliot. Both are pretty good so far. Finally finished The Proud Tower by Barbara Tuchman and it was, without a doubt, the best social history I have ever read and taught me a great deal that I did not know about the history of the generation leading up to WW1.[/QUOTE]

Both Tuchman books I have read were amazing (Distant Mirror and Guns of August).

I am finishing up the Fourth Crusade by Johnathan Phillips, I have been hooked on Byzantine history for a while.

not digging a feast for crows, but im chugging along. i just dont like the side stories and the way GRRM is doing the POVs this time.

should i read the farseer trilogy next or mistborn trilogy?

Was on vacation the past week and read through A Game of Thrones

51gTFaEvGfL._SL500_AA266_PIkin2,BottomRight,-17,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

My first forray into the fantasy genre. Brilliant. I recommend it to anyone even if you're like me and not really into the dragon and wizard stuff.

I'm not sure what I wanna do next ... if I wanna move on to A Clash of Kings already or break things up and read something else.

I plowed through the whole series at once mak, if you want to change pace you can read the short stories or comics based on them.

Yeah, generally I find it best to plow through series at once. But I also forget details of a book pretty shortly after reading it. Unlike my girlfriend who remembers details seemingly forever!

I just finished that two weeks ago, Mak. I thought it was incredibly good. I bought Clash of Kings a mere two hours after I had finished Game of Thrones. I couldn't wait to get further in the series. I know what you mean, though. Sometimes when I've read a series in the past I would occasionally read something in between entries to help freshen things up. But so far with Ice and Fire I haven't been able to focus on anything else.

---

Anyone have a recommendation on a good H.P. Lovecraft collection? His work seems really interesting, and I feel guilty for having never read any of his stories, but there seems to be a fairly large number of compilations out there. Having never read him, I have no clue as to what's worthwhile and what isn't. Any help would be much appreciated.

[quote name='Maklershed']I recommend it to anyone even if you're like me and not really into the dragon and wizard stuff.
[/QUOTE]

That's what got me into it. That it was more like a fucked-up Camelot and/or War of the Roses (the primary influence for the series...Stark/York, Lannister/Lancaster) than strict family-friendly fantasy with elves and shit. I like how they treat dragons more like how we view dinosaurs (simply an extinct species) than them being mythical creatures.

I'm stunned at how many people have got into the series lately. A year ago it was the kind of book you'd never have anybody to talk about it with because nobody read it. But after the HBO announcement, it's spreading like wildfire.

I just completed Milton's Paradise Lost. I found it progressively less interesting in the final chapters, but then, where can you go after paradise has already been lost?

Now I'm halfway through Umberto Eco's Name of the Rose. I haven't read many mysteries before, but this is damn enthalling. William of Baskerville is a most badass monk!

[quote name='crunchb3rry']That's what got me into it. That it was more like a fucked-up Camelot and/or War of the Roses (the primary influence for the series...Stark/York, Lannister/Lancaster) than strict family-friendly fantasy with elves and shit. I like how they treat dragons more like how we view dinosaurs (simply an extinct species) than them being mythical creatures.

I'm stunned at how many people have got into the series lately. A year ago it was the kind of book you'd never have anybody to talk about it with because nobody read it. But after the HBO announcement, it's spreading like wildfire.[/QUOTE]

People ask me what the series is all about and I tell them its like Lord of the Rings but with zombies and hookers.

It is like someone peeked into my soul and decided to write a fantasy based on what they found.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='looploop']I just completed Milton's Paradise Lost. I found it progressively less interesting in the final chapters, but then, where can you go after paradise has already been lost?
[/QUOTE]

Kinda like The Divine Comedy. It started with the good stuff, and then it was all downhill (er...uphill?) from there.

Been reading the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. Just finished the second book; Shadow's Edge. I really like the trilogy so far. I need to pick up the third book and get started on that.

I also started reading DMZ (God bless Half-Price books and getting the first two paperbacks for 6 bucks combined). Amazing. It's right up there with Y the Last Man and The Walking Dead as far as non-superhero comics go. Great reads. Need to get the rest of the series.

Read something a little lighter yesterday:
51vb5AlNBsL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Yes I'm a male in my thirties. It's "urban fantasy" but a YA version.

Found this in the attic bookshelves and felt like rereading it
51JE7P5BKKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

i just finished Choke by chuck palahniuk and that was pretty good, some really cool twists toward the end but the end itself was kind of a let down. now im reading Survivor also by chuck.

[quote name='Maklershed']Well I decided to continue with the series so this morning I started A Clash of Kings

51kwWFvHjRL._SL500_AA266_PIkin2,BottomRight,-16,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Nice. I just finished that. It's fantastic.

I'm considering taking a break from the Song of Ice and Fire books. I blazed through the first two, and I don't want to finish book four too soon since who knows when A Dance With Dragons will actually come out. Only problem is, the book I want to read (just shipped today from Amazon) is The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King. It's around 1200 pages, so I think that might be too big of a break :lol:

We must be on the same wave lengths cause I just bought The Stand for my Kindle to read next.

Since we're 2 for 2 may I suggest Ship of Fools? Awesome book. Some elements of Dead Space to it and its a quick read. I burned through it in a few hours.

Just started "The Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch. Good, but the first 50 or so pages seem like it's Ocean 11 set in a medieval/fantasy setting.

Recently finished Child of God by Cormac McCarthy and started Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk and John Dies at the End by David Wong.

[quote name='Maklershed']We must be on the same wave lengths cause I just bought The Stand for my Kindle to read next.

Since we're 2 for 2 may I suggest Ship of Fools? Awesome book. Some elements of Dead Space to it and its a quick read. I burned through it in a few hours.[/QUOTE]
Haha, nice. I'll definitely check that out.

Ok CAG readers, I need some suggestions.

I was never a reader in high school or college, but now I want to get into it.

I have The Road, Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter and P&P and zombies to read through, but I want more. I'm more of a fiction person, so suggest away please!

bread's done
Back