What are you currently reading? Post here!

Finished Beyond Bin Laden. It was alright, basically a collection of Newsweek style editorials. Worth reading for free as a library e-book, but I wouldn't spend the $2 on the Kindle short.

Still reading World Without End of course since it's a 1,000+ pages. But I started up the following as the library e-book came off hold for me:

51XY4h91YYL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Really digging it thus far, read the first 80 pages or so of the library e-book on my iPad tonight.

Finished The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman.

Loved it. Its basically about a bunch of people who work for an international newspaper in Rome. Each chapter is from one characters point of view, and every chapter is a new character (though various characters pop up in other's chapters). In between each chapter is a pager or two snipped of the paper's history.

It's a very realistic portrayal of what life in a newspaper is like and the characters are varied and interesting. And it's a very well-written book. So I give it a strong recommendation! :D

For those of you that have been playing L.A. Noire and/or you're looking for detective fiction, I saw on Rockstar's site that they've collaborated w/ Mulholland Publications to present eight short stories in a 99 cent e-book collection.

The stories in L.A. Noire: The Collected Stories are ...

The Black Dahlia & White Rose by Joyce Carol Oates
Naked Angel by Joe Lansdale
See the Woman by Lawrence Block
Hell of an Affair by Duane Swierczynski
Whats in a Name? by Jonathan Santlofer
The Girl by Megan Abbott
Postwar Boom by Andrew Vachss
School for Murder by Francine Prose

Finished reading The Fellowship of The Ring. Going to try and finish the trilogy over the next couple of weeks and then I think I am going to do the Harry Potter series (read about half of the first book a month or so ago).

Never read The Hobbit so I might read that as well. The EE version of the trilogy coming out has me excited.

Got Pillars Of The Earth for Kindle. Hope it's good. Haven't seen the miniseries either. Opted to try this book after deciding against reading the George Martin books prior to the 5th hitting shelves.

Bought Contact by Carl Sagan (along with a few other books) last week, so I'll be reading that when it's delivered, hopefully tomorrow.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Got Pillars Of The Earth for Kindle. Hope it's good. Haven't seen the miniseries either. Opted to try this book after deciding against reading the George Martin books prior to the 5th hitting shelves.[/QUOTE]

It's a good book and an easy read. You could have probably started the Martin books and been finished around the time the 5th is out in July though since they're all pretty long books (took me 3 1/2 months or so to read the first 4 this spring).

I'm still reading World Without End, the sequel to Pillars of the Earth--about 50% done with it.

Will be starting up the below soon though as the library e-book came off hold.

519WStkHvCL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-16,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

[quote name='Maklershed']For those of you that have been playing L.A. Noire and/or you're looking for detective fiction, I saw on Rockstar's site that they've collaborated w/ Mulholland Publications to present eight short stories in a 99 cent e-book collection.

The stories in L.A. Noire: The Collected Stories are ...

The Black Dahlia & White Rose by Joyce Carol Oates
Naked Angel by Joe Lansdale
See the Woman by Lawrence Block
Hell of an Affair by Duane Swierczynski
Whats in a Name? by Jonathan Santlofer
The Girl by Megan Abbott
Postwar Boom by Andrew Vachss
School for Murder by Francine Prose[/QUOTE]

anything by Elmore Leonard would be a better fit

[quote name='ROB64']Bought Contact by Carl Sagan (along with a few other books) last week, so I'll be reading that when it's delivered, hopefully tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Me and my sister both loved contact after we first saw it, I finally got around to reading the novel back in high school and quite liked it.

just read Usagi Yojimbo vol 20
finished the ragged man a bit ago

Bwana & Bully
two somewhat short stories in one book 60 or so pages and a 100ish. Bwana a short of traditional african story in a slightly sci-fi setting.
Bully copy pasted part of a review due to needed a proper explanation.
" is an alternate history tale about ex-president Teddy Roosevelt going to what was then the Belgian Congo (later Zaire, now the Democratic Republic of Congo) after leaving office in 1909. Accompanied by hunter-trader John Rowe and a colorful company of hunters, adventurers, and ex-Rough Riders, he sets out to take the colony away from the Belgians (on the grounds that they don't really want it anyway) and turn it into a U. S. protectorate where democratic government, Western education, and self-determination can flourish. He wants, in other words, to make it a thoroughly modern but thoroughly black-African nation. "

the mayflower project by k. a applegate an amusing youth novel with a bit of interesting take on the end of the world genre. reminded me a little of deep impact and the ending made me think of knowings ending. though don't quite get where the rest of the remnants series goes from there and the toronto public library doesn't have the rest sadly, randomly pulled it off my bookself, read it in less than 4 hours.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It's a good book and an easy read. You could have probably started the Martin books and been finished around the time the 5th is out in July though since they're all pretty long books (took me 3 1/2 months or so to read the first 4 this spring).

I'm still reading World Without End, the sequel to Pillars of the Earth--about 50% done with it.
[/QUOTE]

I've read the Martin books repeatedly. I burn through them pretty quick, especially on re-reads, when you remember the characters and 50% of your reading time is not spent looking people up in the appendix like the first time, lol. I guess I just wanted to get refreshed, but I suppose I could at least re-read book 4, since a lot of book 5 is probably going to be conclusions to the various agonizing cliffhangers in book 4 due to the split. Shit, I might just get book 5 on Kindle and save it while taking my time re-reading the previous ones.

Yeah, Pillars is a pretty easy read. It's like a Victor Hugo book without the complexity. Read a few chapters and it's definitely got my interest.

Finished Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind on Sunday, started in on the second book of the trilogy, The Wise Man's Fear, and am about 1/3 through. Best fantasy I've read in over a decade.

After that, I'll read Game of Thrones and wait for the third Kvothe novel.

Kite Runner..
Story is a masterpiece. No book has ever gave me this emotion.. So much contrasts in this story, and shows how cruel the world is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im working my way through "The Difference Engine", as I have been on a Steampunk kick. Pretty good so far.

If anyone can recommend some more Steampunk I am looking for recommendations.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Im working my way through "The Difference Engine", as I have been on a Steampunk kick. Pretty good so far.

If anyone can recommend some more Steampunk I am looking for recommendations.[/QUOTE]

Boneshaker is pretty good as is Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson

1137215.jpg

diamond-age-bookcover.jpg

Pretty good. reads way more like a thriller than a sci-fi novel. It's terse and features well-defined characters. a little over the top, but not bad. Easy read.

Started Reality is Broken but it didnt quite hold my attention. I've took enough psych classes to already know the stuff about 'flow' and 'motivation' she talks about in the first 50 pages.

started way of shadows instead.

Pretty damn good. Although there's alot of all too convient conciendences in the last third of the book.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Reading Matterhorn after seeing a lot of reccomendations. Pretty good, but not necessarily living up to the hype. Really long too.[/QUOTE]

Keep at it. The book gets better as the story progresses. By the end you'll wish the book was longer.

[quote name='kill3r7']Keep at it. The book gets better as the story progresses. By the end you'll wish the book was longer.[/QUOTE]

I finished it. It was good, especially once I got all the names straight.

[quote name='GhostShark']I love the Night Angel trilogy from Brent Weeks. It is a little predictable at times, but it's still a fantastic read.[/QUOTE]

Really enjoyed the first one, but felt the remaining two were sloppy - suffered from introducing too many new and uninspired characters, and were spread too thin by the remaining, tangental plotlines. Personally wish I'd stopped after Book One, but I'm a serial completionist.

That said, about 200 pages into A Game of Thrones. May as well use the off-season to catch up on some overlooked reading.

Currently reading Reza Aslan's No God But God, Origins and Evolution of Islam.
Almost done with that, so I'll be moving on to the Master and Margarita next.

I'm roughly 180 pages into Salem's Lot by Stephen King. The pacing is way too slow for my liking. And it centers around another author going off somewhere to write a novel only to find that something wicked is going on. I can't even believe how often he's recycled that formula.

It's 631 pages long, but I'm not sure if I'll finish it at this point. I'm going to take a break and maybe come back to it later on.

Also, I started and finished Animal Farm by George Orwell yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed it all the way through. It was really nice, considering I think most books drag on for far longer than they really should.

I'm planning on reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll before I play American McGee's Alice and Alice: Madness Returns.

Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey

Good stuff. Crime noir with a supernatural streak through it. Reminds me quite a bit of Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt novels.

[quote name='jlarlee']Queen of Bedlam by Robert McCammon it has been excellent so far[/QUOTE]

His new book, The Five, is supposed to be amazing. It's not available as an ebook yet, unfortunately...might need to track down the dead tree version.

Finished World Without End. I didn't really like it much, pretty disappointing follow up to Pillars of the Earth IMO. No major overarching plot, lots of things with a lot of build up and no real pay off. Just pretty pointless overall.

Also started up David Dalglish's Half Orc series.

Finished:

51SugQW3KvL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-18,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

And almost done with the 2nd one.

51RfMbFMQuL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-16,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Pretty solid reads. For fellow Kindler's, the first book is free currently, and the rest range $1.99 to $3.99.

[quote name='dmaul1114']

Pretty solid reads. For fellow Kindler's, the first book is free currently, and the rest range $1.99 to $3.99.[/QUOTE]

Have you read the Sorrow, Thorn, and Memory series by Goodkind? If so how would you say these stack up to that? And you went through all 4 Ice and Fire books already or you're just taking a break?

Haven't read anything by Goodkind. I finished the 4 Song of Ice and Fire a couple months back.

I'd liken Dalglish to someone like R.A. Salvatore. It's pretty light, action packed fantasy. Quick, entertaining reads, but not a lot of deep history/mythology to the world (even less than Salvatore, so nothing like Martin or Tolkien etc.). But not bad at all for an indie writer and the cheap prices.

Started and finished Not in the Flesh by Ruth Rendell over a very slow Thursday and Friday night at work.

Not really all that great, very little mystery there and not quite dark/noir enough for my tastes.

Just got done reading James Franco's Palo Alto

A collection of short stories about teenage angst and shit, pretty good read.

Franco has a shit load of potential, only drawback is he has no differing voice narrating the characters in the book.

Character A sounds like Character C, who sounds like Character E sometimes.

Finished The Cost of Betrayal by David Dalglish and on to book 3 in the series.

51AbYufNhtL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-16,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Book 2 was a good bit better than Book 1 IMO. I definitely liken his writing to R. A. Salvatore, but not quite as good. But similar in it's focus on action and very detailed battles etc.

Not too bad. I'm only 100 pages in so far. It's basically a sci-fi book written in the 80s as a satire on advertism/consumerism gone awry.

bread's done
Back