What are you currently reading? Post here!

I just started Abaddon's Gate by James S.A. Corey.  If you like space operas, you should give this trilogy a read!

Vale of the Vole by Piers Anthony was pretty damn good for someone like me who almost never reads. Now thinking about it I should look up the sequel.
Once you've read one of those Xanth books, you've read them all. They're all nearly idential only with a different main character.

Made it through the second half of Clash of Kings a few weeks ago and just finished Storm of Swords yesterday.

Started on A Feast For Crows right afterwards.

Cold Granite by Stuart MacBride.

1770869.jpg

Seems like a pretty generic police procedural by the numbers book so far.

Got through The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea yesterday on the bus.  Decided it was high time to finish the original Foundation Trilogy so I picked up my copy of Second Foundation.

I'm actually wondering how my reading will hold up now that I won't be taking the bus anymore.

Got through The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea yesterday on the bus. Decided it was high time to finish the original Foundation Trilogy so I picked up my copy of Second Foundation.

I'm actually wondering how my reading will hold up now that I won't be taking the bus anymore.
For several years I had a 160 minute round trip commute via my car. I joined Audible and would listen to books. It definitely takes some getting used to & the pace is slower than that of reading. It does pass the time though.

I recently completed the Sprawl Trilogy (Excellent)

I finished A Princess of Mars. It was good. I had planned on reading the entire series, but I will come back to it.

I think I am going to switch gears and finish The Looming Tower. I have also started reading The Rise & Fall of the Third Reich

51USOQW90sL._SY346_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_.jpg

51ePJSYUEBL._SY346_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_.jpg

I actually do 90% of my reading at work.

During my second thirty minute break if I don't find anything interesting on my phone I read for a half hour or so.

Usually the last hour or so of work is pretty so, so depending on my bench assignment I read then.

On weekends when  it can be dead quiet I can finish a whole book. (If the book is simple enough where I can speed read through it)

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5275090-matthew

Last edited by a moderator:
I read a couple really good non-fiction books in the area of quantum physics and string theory:

http://www.amazon.com/Fabric-Cosmos-Space-Texture-Reality/dp/1439566925/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-3&qid=1379147499

http://www.amazon.com/Elegant-Universe-Superstrings-Dimensions-Ultimate/dp/0393058581/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-4&qid=1379147499

Author Brian Greene has a gift for writing in language that a non-Ph.D. can easily understand and appreciate.  For those that want to cheat a little, if you're an Amazon Prime member, Fabric of the Cosmos is available for free in a multipart NOVA series.  He's really engaging in the way that Carl Sagan was back in the day when he was the public face of physics and cosmology.  Another standout in the field, Neil deGrasse Tyson is actually remaking Sagan's COSMOS miniseries updated to include modern theory.  I can't wait!

And speaking of Sagan, I just re-read this gem:

http://www.amazon.com/Demon-haunted-World-Science-Candle-Dark/dp/1439505284/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-1&qid=1379147842

Lastly, for those of you who can't quite wrap your head around the Big Bang (namely, how all we can see in the physical universe could have arisen from basically nothing), read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Universe-Nothing-There-Something-Rather/dp/145162445X/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1379148055&sr=8-1

Krauss argues a pretty convincing case here.  For those of you who lean towards agnosticism/atheism, the Afterword was written by Richard Dawkins.

Finished Angels and Insects by A.S. Byatt. A damned good postmodern Neovictorian novel.

Starting Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and Cosmos by Carl Sagan.

Starting..Cosmos by Carl Sagan.
Enjoy that one. I still treasure mine I received as a gift when it was first printed during my formative years. He's a captivating writer, and his sense of wonder about things we can only [make an educated] guess about always shines through.

Just finished reading The Fault in our Stars. Didn't know it was a girl book until I started reading it. I guess I should have known since a girl recommended it.

Going to start reading Jurassic Park or the Custer Wolf next.

Wow. this thread had been dead for over a month.

Started this:

216849.jpg

And about 100 pages in, I decided I'm not going to finish it.

That cover reminds me of that owl movie.
Started "The Custer Wolf" back up. I like what the story is suppose to be about but I don't like the writing style. Maybe because I rushed thru what I've read so far. I think ill start rereading it again to see if I can enjoy it.

Finished up Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. I'm content that this is one of the greatest novels ever written. Such dynamic work.

Also, finished my fifth reading of Ender's Game. Outside of most of Dick's and Stephenson's work, this might be the best Science Fiction prose I've read. The use of aliens and his sister as objective correlatives is just simply amazing. Some really amazing stuff pertaining to the morality of child soldiers and a great commentary on homosocial societies. 

Started up English Passengers by Matthew Kneale. Nearly done with it. 

I'm also still plugging through Cosmos when I have free time away from my school reading. 

Almost finishing This Town. It's a sickening look at how those people in DC have elevated their swamp to Mount Olympus. It's basically tv's portrayal of high school except that it's real. At least the CW has given up on high school dramas with cliques and stuff, but if they want to go back to that crap, they should just embed somebody into DC.

Placed a bunch of Fantasy novels on hold at the library. Was trying to find something 'new' to read. Sorting by paperback and trade paperback, published since 2009, and then like 90% of the returns are like paranormal romance crap.

Shapesifting girl and here 'were' lover. Or fallen angel girl and her demon lover, mix and repeat.

If you want some newish fantasy, I'd give anything by Brent Weeks a try. He's pretty much the only newer fantasy author I'll read.

If you want some newish fantasy, I'd give anything by Brent Weeks a try. He's pretty much the only newer fantasy author I'll read.
Read the whole Night Angel trilogy. It was good, but the whole plot was held together by thin threads of coincidences. I didn't care much of the ending for the third book either.

Well, that was his rookie debut. His new series, Lightbringer I think, is much better. I too am looking for some new fantasy to read after I graduate. So if you check out anything good, lemme know.

501362.jpg

I'm about halfway through this. Don't really want to finish. It's incredibly generic. Interesting world, but not much is done with it. It also falls into the "average boy from tiny village suddenly becomes the greatest hero, friend to the king, and adviser to generals" trope.

Gave up on the previous book, and started this:

11487807.jpg

It's not bad, but it seems to be pretty much a D&D type novel just with an Arabic cast.

Started this:

6964765.jpg

Couldn't make it more than 50 pages in.  War novel with insect-human hybrids or something. Poorly written and explained.

Got a few messages from CAGs who have read/enjoyed the book I wrote, so I figured I'd pop in here.

I'm currently a few dozen pages into The First Duelist by Rutledge Etheridge.

Giving my wife first dibs on Allegiant, the third Divergent novel.

So I read 35 books in 2013. (More or less. There's maybe one or two there that I quit after 100 pages or less)

Unfortunately about half (15 of 35) I rated two stars or less. So, basically I read allot of books that I didn't really like.

I am reading "As a spam prevention tool, we don't allow you to post links until you have 3 posts. Please email at cheapyd[at]cheapassgamer[dot]com if you need to post a link urgently." right now. (1)

I just finished this book and can't recommend it enough. It's amazing the environmental impacts our diets have.

Comfortably Unaware: What We Choose to Eat Is Killing Us and Our Planet

by Richard Oppenlander
link

I got lazy and didn't bother updating here for a while.

The Art of Fielding was pretty good (last book I've posted about).

I can't remember what all I've read since then, not a lot though.

The Walking Dead Volume 19 and Ready Player One for sure.  Feel like I'm forgetting a couple of books though...

Anyway, now reading:

5145dkX9ndL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-67,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I've read both of those. I thought Consider Phelbas was okay. Player of Games is a much better Culture novel.

I read through most of Heinlein way back in high school. Soon after Stranger in a Strange Land he starts going off the deep end.

I enjoyed Consider Phlebas. One of the better Space Operas out there, so I look forward to reading more Culture novels. They should be arriving soon. 

I got a kindle fire hdx during Christmas, in plans of watching prime instant, but have since overwhelmed my self with reading and listenimg to audible on my hour drive to work.

I've been reading "The Bone Season" by Samantha Shannon. Its very good.

And listening to "Ready Player One" by Earnest Cline. And read by Will Weaton. Now this book is beyond awesome! Set 40yrs in the future. Online vr gaming, school, and life are the norm, when the creator of the console dies and leaves behind his fortune hidden online in an "Easter egg" for one to unlock by solving riddles and completing challenges. This book is jam packed with '80s nostalgia. Games, places, shows, all referenced and intrigal parts of the quest to find "the egg"! Once again I highly recommend this book!

Just finished The Republic of Thieves...it was pretty good, in my opinion, though not as good as the Lies of Locke Lamora.

Now I'm just starting a biography of Pauline Kael, a noted film critic for the New Yorker. Whether you like film or not, her pieces were always amazing to read.

Working my way through Neil Gaiman's American Gods.  Very very surreal book.    I think I'm about 2/3rds of the way through and it's been interesting from the beginning.

bread's done
Back