What are you currently reading? Post here!

[quote name='Rocko']Yeah, I'm liking it. I'm glad to be rid of the constant flashbacks of The Gunslinger. I've got to get to the book store and pick up the third book soon.[/QUOTE]

The third one's my favorite.

Currently reading The Road to Death by Matt Forbeck and I just finished Marked for Death by Matt Forbeck and Grant Comes East By Newt Gingrich and William Forstchen.

Ok, I'm currently reading Aztec and on deck I have Atlas Shrugged and then The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, but I'm going to Borders and I need some suggestions.

What book(s) should I get today?

[quote name='Maklershed']Ok, I'm currently reading Aztec and on deck I have Atlas Shrugged and then The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, but I'm going to Borders and I need some suggestions.

What book(s) should I get today?[/quote]

I got The Story of Edgar Sawtelle for my birthday. I don't know when I'll get to it, though, since I got more than 20 books... :whee:I think next up for me is going to be either Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut or The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I can't decide. America America by Ethan Canin and The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie are calling to me as well.

I'm being forced to read Fight Club for class. This is so fucking whiny and boring. (Oh shit, did I just insult the best man book ever?) After that is Heart of Darkness. I want to go back to my comedy sci-fi crappy romance novels.

I finished Odd Thomas not too long ago and like it enough where I would want to read the rest of the books in the series. I'm now starting on Lovely Bones and Tom Clancy Rainbow Six.

[quote name='VioletArrows']I'm being forced to read Fight Club for class. This is so fucking whiny and boring. (Oh shit, did I just insult the best man book ever?) After that is Heart of Darkness. I want to go back to my comedy sci-fi crappy romance novels.[/quote]

Watch Apocalypse Now! and you'll get a gist at what Heart of Darkness is about, it's basically the same thing. it's a bit heavy on the racism in Conrad's un-edited version but, meh...just gotta let slug through it.

[quote name='darthbudge']I just got "The Gunslinger" by Stephen King from my local library. All I have read so far is the forward. I will post my impressions later.[/quote]

Funny, I'm reading this series as well.

I'm on Book 4.

Last time I tried reading it I got to Book 4 where
it does the flashback, and I got bored, because it wasn't the main part of the story.

Will have finished the series by the end of the month.

[quote name='joe2187']Watch Apocalypse Now! and you'll get a gist at what Heart of Darkness is about, it's basically the same thing. it's a bit heavy on the racism in Conrad's un-edited version but, meh...just gotta let slug through it.[/quote]

I think the racism is what she wants us to hone in on. It's a philosophy and theory class. *brain tries to escape out of her ears*

At any rate, because I have no time, I have to take my literature in cute little short story chunks, and I buy those 500p. collections full of famous authors. This one's a British comedy one called The Mammoth Book of New Comic Fantasy. It's got Esther Friesner, Neil Gaiman, and Molly Brown in it, and it's been pretty good so far. Sweet Savage Sorcerer, Pest Control, and Return of the Warrior were my favorites, though I've only gotten halfway through it before becoming busy again.

While on vacation I finished Harp of Winds by Maggie Furey, and also read Dragon's Lair by Sharon Kay Penman. Really enjoyed Dragon's Lair so I'm going to check out her other books. I'm halfway through Sword of Flame (Furey, book 3/4).

Once I finish her series, I'm going to finally start Chainfire and work through the rest of the Sword of Truth series.

[quote name='joe2187']Watch Apocalypse Now! and you'll get a gist at what Heart of Darkness is about, it's basically the same thing.[/quote]

Well, naturally. I'd say: read the novella first, then watch the film -- perhaps you'll have a greater appreciation of the latter. I don't know, maybe not. I love them both, but I don't remember the order in which I first read/watched them.

I just started reading The Man In The High Castle by Dick. The premise is absolutely fascinating to me, but so far... the execution has been a little weak. I'm definitely going to stick it out, though.

On deck I have the new Augusten Burroughs and the new David Sedaris. Those two should be a couple of quality reads.

25514874_6b91564ecd.jpg

Highly recommended.

I am currently reading

1) Lonesome Dove
2) American Pastoral
3) The Road (for the 5th time)
4) The Stand
5) Omerta

Enjoying them all, American Pastoral is phenomenal, much better then Gilead by Marilyn Roberts.

[quote name='siderealshift']Well, naturally. I'd say: read the novella first, then watch the film -- perhaps you'll have a greater appreciation of the latter. I don't know, maybe not. I love them both, but I don't remember the order in which I first read/watched them.
[/quote]

Saw the movie first, but picked up Conrad's book because the title interested me and had no idea it was related to Apocolypse Now! until about halfway through the book, made me actually appreciate the movie more than I did before.

I have backlog of 8 or 10 books.

Gotta finish all my Noir books before I can head into some Graham Greene.

This book seems mighty interesting. for all those Sci-fi dystopian future fiction lovers.

We're All Slaves Of History, In Sprawling Dystopian Novel

LibertationCover_01.jpg
What would the United States look like after the collapse of everything? The answer isn't a zombie-strewn wasteland or a sudden revival of punk-rock fashions, but rather something more like a flashback to the mid-19th century. The frontier spirit, small communities banding together, roaming Indian tribes... and huge masses of the population living in slavery. Brian Francis Slattery's dystopian second novel, Liberation has many brilliant ideas, but its depiction of a 21st century revival of slavery is really what burns it into your memory.

The book's full title is Liberation: Being The Adventures Of The Slick Six After The Collapse Of The United States of America. Which pretty much sums the whole thing up. The U.S. doesn't collapse because of ecological disaster or plague, but just economic crappiness. It's pretty much Brad DeLong's worst nightmare: the U.S. dollar becomes worthless, the foreign lenders all pull their money out, the banks all go under, everyone starves. When things reach their worst point, a former gang of super-criminals called the Slick Six reunite to put things right (sort of.)

Doesnt come out till October, more info on it here

I love this thread. Two more books just made their way onto my wish list. Actually, make that three, I just realized I've never read Atlas Shrugged. I thought I had.

Liberation looks particularly interesting. I've been on a bit of a dystopian kick lately.

[quote name='joe2187']This book seems mighty interesting. for all those Sci-fi dystopian future fiction lovers.[/quote]

Looks good but I'm skeptical. I think Mad Max is the more likelier scenario full of anarchy and misogyny minus the apocalyptic landscape. Oh, it'll still look like a barren wasteland for the most part, but it'll be due to the breakdown of technology to maintain modern civilization rather than some cataclysmic event. Having used up most of earth's resources, water & fertile soil become the most precious commodities. All that said, I'll give that book a read when it comes out.

Another take on a future america can be found in the excellent series by S. M. Stirling that begins with Dies the Fire and continues through The Protector's War, A Meeting at Corvallis and The Sunrise Lands.

Dress Your Family In Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris and A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle came in at the library the other day. I've heard good things about Sedaris and I've been hearing a lot of buzz about A New Earth between by family, Oprah's book club, and how well it's been selling. I've always thought I'd hate books about better living, life's insight, and all that feel good BS but I thought I'd give it a try and see what all the fuss is about.

i finally finished a prayer for owen meany.
I enjoyed it thoroughly. the character development is excellent.
I started all the pretty horses yesterday. havent ead enough to comment.

Candy Girl: A Year in the Life of an Unlikely Stripper by Diablo Cody

(If the name doesn't ring a bell, she wrote Juno.)

I need to get some of this David Sedaris stuff, too...not sure how I've missed him before.

can't find the FAX release (which is the version I'm reading) but here is a cover of Weird Tales that showcases the the novelette

weird_3811.jpg

really digging it so far

edit: take that back, found an image of the reprint version that I'm reading

ed8a_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The Lazarus Project by Aleksander Hemon.

awesome so far.

Grotesque by Natsuo Kirino. kinda boring, more of a winter book (very dark subject matter.)

[quote name='ninja dog']
Grotesque by Natsuo Kirino. kinda boring, more of a winter book (very dark subject matter.)[/QUOTE]

Liked her first book Out till the ending

[quote name='Soujiro_Seta']Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
It's pretty good I would recommend it if anyone cares :)[/quote]
I just read that a couple of weeks ago while on vacation! :) I loved his show so I decided to try out the book that made him famous and I agree that it is a good book. Right now I'm trying to track down some of the books he recommends in it and I'll probably read another one of his books in the near future.

[quote name='cindersphere']Kitchen Confidential was great as is Anthony Bourdain.[/quote]

It's too bad the tv show never got past 7-8 eps.:cry: Highly underrated, both book & show.

Finished, All the Pretty Horses
Excellent. ill be picking up the other two in the trilogy.

started the gun seller yesterday. i think im just over difference in writing.
so far its okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally hopped on the World War Z bandwagon. It was entertaining, but it definitely does not deserve the universal CAG circle-jerk that this thread portrays.

bread's done
Back