What are you currently reading? Post here!

Fair enough I guess. I'm more a fan of giving stuff a shot and forming my own opinion.

I mean I'll avoid stuff like Twilight that's popular because of tween girls etc., but books like this series that sell like crazy, get great reviews from critics and are raved about on bookworm forums usually tend up being worth a read.

Eyes of the Dragon and The Stand tie in better, in regards to Flagg.

I've finally been convinced to read Under The Dome. Damn thing arrived at the post office today just after the guy probably left in his mailtruck. Now I gotta wait till tomorrow to start it.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']I'm currently struggling through Palahniuk's Tell All. Not recommended.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, after reading reviews and the Kindle sample I decided to skip that one. Will be the first Palahniuk book I don't read.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, after reading reviews and the Kindle sample I decided to skip that one. Will be the first Palahniuk book I don't read.[/QUOTE]

Especially considering how surprised I was with Pygmy... Tell All a total downer.

After reading Pygmy, I almost thought he had returned to the brilliance he displayed in Survivor. Too bad.

I didn't like Pygmy that much either personally. Wasn't bad, just not up to par with his early books. Or even Rant which I also liked a lot. Snuff sucked as well though. So he's been pretty up and down lately.

Eh, Palahniuk sucks now IMO. Pygmy, Snuff, and Tell All didn't catch my interest.

and I loved Survivor. The last book I read from him was Rant, which was okay.

Reading Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon right now.

Just finished High Heat, by Tim Wendel. Wendel is fascinated by the history of fastball pitchers and tries to find out who was the fastest of all time. Not a hardcore baseball book, but very enjoyable. It is surprising how tragic the lives of some of these pitchers were.

[quote name='Pavel6969']I know Flagg is in both, but I was just saying that they are not tied together whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

They are alternate universes and if memory serves me correctly in the DT series someone glimpses a world that might have been the stand universe. i think Trash can man is in both too

I really wish he would write a sequel to It. He teased it bit near the end of Dreamcatcher. It is my favorite book by him

Finished the Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart and on to The Island Beneath the Sea

41Pu4%2BrE10L._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-17,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

[quote name='GhostShark']Starting The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Should be awesome.:applause:[/QUOTE]

Nice. I was planning on doing that too since the Starz series was awesome.

[quote name='gbpackers94']If I posted a list of books in a spoiler would you guys mind telling me if any are awful/amazing? Also is anyone else on goodreads?[/QUOTE]

Yes and yes

Well heres the list
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
Gunsling (Dark Tower, book 1) by Stephen King
Blindness by Giovanni Pontiero
A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson
I am America (And So Can You!) by Michael C Brumm (Stephen Colbert's book)
The Postman by David Brin
Island by Aldous Huxley
We by Evengii Ivanovich Zamiatin
The Chrysalids by John Wyndham
The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick
The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
I, Robot by Isaac Asimov
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer
Dispatches by Michael Herr
Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer
The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer
Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
The Good War: An Oral History of World War II by Studs Terkel
Boneshaker by Cherie Priest
City of Thieves by David Benioff
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
A Seperate Peace by John Knowles
The Thin Red Line by James Jones

Also, feel free to add me on goodreads.

Reading:

Extra Lives: Why Video Games Matter

The Best of H. P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre

And for the fun of it

Mass Effect: Retribution

[quote name='gbpackers94']thanks Maklershed! I'll be sure to pick a few of those up soon.[/QUOTE]

I definitely would go with The Postman first. :)

[quote name='gbpackers94']If I posted a list of books in a spoiler would you guys mind telling me if any are awful/amazing? Also is anyone else on goodreads?[/QUOTE]
I'm on there, just sent you a friend request (it'll be from Colin). Anyone else feel free to add me as well.

I'm still working my way through Altered Carbon. I'm absolutely loving it so far. Getting close to the end, though, and feel like getting into some more cyberpunk so I might finally pick up Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson.

Thanks for the comment about the Dark Tower series everyone. Knowing this may help me better decide what books to start on next. As I said before , since I know that many of Kings books , whether they really tie into the Dark Tower or not , are good books and I planned on reading them anyway. I was just trying to figure out whether I should be reading some before reading others.

In my previous post I also mentioned about almost being done with Zodiac , and now I can say that I have finished it (also on a funny side note , I never realized until recently that Zodiac was written before Snow Crash). Anyway , I thought the book started of really good , describing the bizarre nuances of main character S.T. and setting up the grand conspiracy/disaster that the story revolved around , unfortunately I felt the ending was a bit rushed. The 3rd act just seemed like he was trying to get too much done in too little time. I also didn't like that the events didn't really have a definitive ending but instead was speculation about how things would play out now that the truth was known. At least it was better than a non ending. Also , I wish I knew how much of the science/chemistry talk in the story was true and how much (if any) of it was made up for the sake of the story.

Moving on I'll probably be starting on Harry Potter 6 next , on my way to finish the series before last movie(s) come out.

I can at least recommend this.

The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett

Almost anything by him if you like hard-boiled detective stories. Also usually almost anything Black Lizard publishes. I follow them the way I used to follow indie labels back in the 90s.

Finished The Road & Picture of Dorian Gray. I saw the movie The Road before reading the book. The book was decent, I think I would have enjoyed the story more if I didn't already know what was going to happen. Dorian Gray was really good.

The Road was a rare case where I liked the movie more (read the book a few months before seeing the movie).

Just didn't dig the writing style, and the movie (being visual) did a better job of giving an emotional portrayal of the hopelessness of post apocalyptic life I thought.

[quote name='dmaul1114']The Road was a rare case where I liked the movie more (read the book a few months before seeing the movie).

Just didn't dig the writing style, and the movie (being visual) did a better job of giving an emotional portrayal of the hopelessness of post apocalyptic life I thought.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, his books are a chore to read because of his writing style. I like No Country For Old Men better on the screen than on paper. THe movie was depressing as fuck, and not involving the characters, but just the scenario like the general atmosphere and especially that cannibal house.

I just got Under The Dome in paperback. I gotta say, that's the nicest quality paperback I've ever bought. It's full size (ie: hardcover size), great artwork on the front and spine, and the cover itself has this silky feel to it.

Has anybody read:
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
or
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith
If so how are they?

[quote name='Maklershed']In addition to Island Beneath the Sea I've decided to start reading The Stand

iyjsc9.gif
[/QUOTE]
Just finished this last month. So, so good. Probably my favourite King novel outside of the Dark Tower series.

A shocking number of 'n word' bombs in this version of The Stand. I imagine that's one of the things they touched up in the newer edition.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Has anybody read:
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
or
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith
If so how are they?[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed PPZ. Not as scary/gory as I had hoped, but a nice twist on a classic.

[quote name='Maklershed']A shocking number of 'n word' bombs in this version of The Stand. I imagine that's one of the things they touched up in the newer edition.[/QUOTE]
Really? Which section are you seeing that in?

The newer uncut edition still definitely had its fair share of choice language, but I can't remember specifics, so you might be right.

[quote name='joe2187']The Rum Diary - Hunter S. Thompsom: Basically thompson takes a newspaper job in puerto rico and fucks, smokes, gambles, and drinks his way through san juan until he gets pissed off and stirs up some shit.[/QUOTE]

If that's all you took away from The Rum Diary than you really need to reread it again. It is so much deeper than that.

Just finished Mocking Jay by Collins, it was an okay ending to an okay series. Nothing really special, well beyond the whole kids killing kids in a game/ having children stage a revolution (seriously where were the parents?)

Now I am going to go back in time and reread the classic Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Service. After that maybe go on and read the Dark Tea time of the Soul and the Hitchhikers Trilogy.

[quote name='Fjordson']Really? Which section are you seeing that in?

The newer uncut edition still definitely had its fair share of choice language, but I can't remember specifics, so you might be right.[/QUOTE]

I'm reading the first edition (Doubleday 1978). And the 'n word' is all over the book. It's not even used as a derogatory word so much as an adjective. On a brighter side though, I've noticed that the protagonists in all his books seem to be Boston Red Sox fans. :lol:

[quote name='Maklershed']I'm reading the first edition (Doubleday 1978). And the 'n word' is all over the book. It's not even used as a derogatory word so much as an adjective. On a brighter side though, I've noticed that the protagonists in all his books seem to be Boston Red Sox fans. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Interesting. Yeah, sounds like that was definitely changed in the uncut edition.

And yes, lots of Red Sox fans. Sox fans crop up in the Dark Tower books as well. I love all of those subtle (and some not so subtle) connections that weave between King's various novels.
---

On a different note, has any read the graphic novel series Preacher? I've been looking to get into some more graphic novels lately, and recommendations to read Preacher have been cropping up quite a bit lately.

Man I know I'm late to the ereader party but got my Nook last week and I doubt I will buy a physical book ever again. I was real hesitant but its doing for literature what the IPOD did for music

Yeah, ebooks are great. I love my Kindle. I've read a lot more since getting it since I don't have to hassle with paperbacks of books I'll only read once, or going to the library etc.

s[eaking as one who has never used one, i still dont buy it

i really must try one of these things and see if it really is that good

One of the best things about the Kindle and why it would be great for kids is the dictionary function. I'm 30 years old and my vocabulary is expanding faster now than when I was in school.

[quote name='Wolfkin']s[eaking as one who has never used one, i still dont buy it

i really must try one of these things and see if it really is that good[/QUOTE]

It's really a must for any serious reader IMO. Screen looks just like paper (at least in a paperback, not as white as a hardback). Great battery life. Great to get books instantly. Great to not have to find room to store books you'll only read once, or hassle with donating or selling them etc.

I'd say give a Kindle a try. Amazon has a 30 day return policy, so if you happen to not like it, you're only out the few bucks to pay to ship it back to them. Will be a few weeks wait currently as the K3 is sold out. $139 for the Wifi only model. $189 for WiFi and 3G.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Maklershed']One of the best things about the Kindle and why it would be great for kids is the dictionary function. I'm 30 years old and my vocabulary is expanding faster now than when I was in school.[/QUOTE]

Hooked On Phonics worked for me!

Just finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo..It was good, not quite up to the hype it was getting, and about 300 pages to long.

Moved onto Ford County by Grisham

[quote name='Pavel6969']Just finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo..It was good, not quite up to the hype it was getting, and about 300 pages to long.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it did feel a tad long. But the set up is worth it to get the characters well developed for the rest of the trilogy.

I'm about 60% through The Girl Who Plays With Fire. Liking it probably a bit more than Dragon Tatoo so far.

I just finished Pillars of Creation and am about to Begin Naked Empire. They are the 7th and 8th books in the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

Stayed up way to late finishing The Girl Who Played With Fire and starting The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets nest.

Loving the series. The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo starts slow, but from 40% or so through that book it's a real page turner.

Just fnished reading Magic the Gathering: Tapestries. It wasn't bad. As a newer MTG player that only started playing with the Shadowmoor set, I don't identify with a lot of the old MTG books, but they're still entertaining for a glimpse into the game universe.

51YCsjO5c%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

[quote name='Msut77']I finally broke down and starting reading "The Stand".[/QUOTE]

It's definitely one of King's best. Even though it's a fat ol' book, it doesn't feel unnecessarily bloated like most of his enormous books.

bread's done
Back