What are you currently reading? Post here!

I've read it multiple times, but never heard of the author and haven't heard its name mentioned anywhere before, but I loved "A World Of Thieves". Great book, very interesting throughout. Anyone else read it? I think its an older book, as I got it a few years ago and it might have been old even then (it was cheap).

Finished At the Mountains of Madness and starting The Handmaid's Tale

51ettPWhyFL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Finished Confessor and now trying to figure out what I want to read next. Leaning towards The Forever War by Joe Haldeman or maybe starting the Thomas Covenant books by Stephen Donaldson. Has anyone read either of those?

Mr. B Gone was pretty cute, I thought, for what it was. Incidentally, I somehow missed the fact Clive Barker was gay until I picked up this book and read the little blurb on the back. Then I remembered every single scene in Hellraiser and thought "oh well that makes perfect sense." I'd love to find a copy of The Hellbound Heart around here somewhere.

The Corrections will have to wait since the other day I finally found a copy of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for under $5. As usual, I'm late to the party,

[quote name='ian1418']Finished Confessor and now trying to figure out what I want to read next. Leaning towards The Forever War by Joe Haldeman or maybe starting the Thomas Covenant books by Stephen Donaldson. Has anyone read either of those?[/QUOTE]

The Forever War is one of my all time favorite sci fi books. Hell, it's one of my favorite books in general. Absolutely fantastic.

[quote name='ian1418']Finished Confessor and now trying to figure out what I want to read next. Leaning towards The Forever War by Joe Haldeman or maybe starting the Thomas Covenant books by Stephen Donaldson. Has anyone read either of those?[/QUOTE]

Covenant books are good, albeit pretty morose and depressing. His sci-fi series (The Gap?) is just as good with the misery even further cranked up.

And, not to double post but this is what I'm currently reading. Good. Albit it features a detective whose only skill seem to be 'listening'

Currently rereading "The Cat who Robbed a Bank" been on a rereading spree, already finished my manga, and working on some of my novels.

Decided to put off Feast for Crows just a little while longer:

45107.jpg

Super interesting after about 200 pages. Hobb's vision of medieval/fantasy assassins and the mythos behind them is really cool. Definitely glad I gave this one a chance.

Don't have a lot of free time this part of the year but I am trying to get though book seven of harry potter (got it for free and loved the earlier series as a kid so I decided to finish out the series). Despite all of its problems, it is probably one of the most imaginative book series to come out in the last 20 years in my opinion.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I read the first five books. I swear reading Goodkind is like watching a B movie. You know how bad it is, but it is oddly entertaining at the same time.[/QUOTE]

I'm currently reading Faith of the Fallen by Terry Goodkind. I'm liking it a lot more than the previous book 5 "soul of the fire". I read the first 4 books in under 2 months and its taken me a half a year to finish 5 and 6. You're right though, the whole series is very campy, but it's funny how when you start reading the novels you can't put them down!

Lately I've only been reading non-fiction. Finished "Dreadnought" by Robert Massie and just started David McCollough's "John Adams" biography.

John Adams is one of the best non-fiction books I've every read. Enjoy! 1776 is a companion book to it by the same author (covers more what was going on in the war in that year) if you haven't read it.

The HBO mini-series is fantastic as well.

Uhm, this:

It's about a guy who has a jewel in his skull. Hence, the title "Jewel in the Skull" !!!! At 200 some pages it's a very lightweight book. Action sword and sorcery fantasy without the 100s of pages of descriptions of towns and rivers, tellings of the past, and xanatos pileup conspiracies.

Michael Moorcock writes a nice fast fantasy book. I've been reading through the Elric series and for being so light on description they paint a nice world.

What happened to this thread? I've finished 3 books since someone last posted.
Currently reading Alpha by Catherine Asaro. It's crap.

Finished An Army at Dawn and The Hunger Games Trilogy . Fantastic reading all around. Currently about to start Mark Twain's autobiography.
Autobiography+of+Mark+Twain%252C+UCal+Press.jpg

[quote name='eldergamer']What happened to this thread? I've finished 3 books since someone last posted.
Currently reading Alpha by Catherine Asaro. It's crap.[/QUOTE]

I personally have really slowed down due to the light situation. I can't read on the bus in the morning since its pitch black out and I don't want to turn on the light and wake whoever I'm sitting next to. And I have the light on during the afternoon ride but its really hard to see. And then the light here in my house just sucks. I guess I should probably get a good, bright floor lamp at Lowes or something.

[quote name='eldergamer']What happened to this thread? I've finished 3 books since someone last posted.
Currently reading Alpha by Catherine Asaro. It's crap.[/QUOTE]

Still in college and my professors were putting me through my paces this quarter in terms of reading. All in all in 10 weeks I read about 15 books, and about another 2k worth of published articles. So games, posting here, and leisurely reading went down the drain these last 10 weeks. But that is done and I can finally finish up the feed, which I stopped midway through.

Beyond that I have picked up a copy of Stiff by Mary Roach (msut, I believe you have read this, is it worth putting at the top of my list to read or can I put it off for a few months). Nickel and Dimed by Barbra Ehrenreich (I know I butchered that name) and Strategic Assessment of War by Scott Gartner.

I was also given a get stuff done book by a graduating friend, so probably look through that.

The halo novels, which i dont recommend if you like the single-player campaigns in the games. story-wise it's either the game version or the book version... after the second book they start to diverge... and eric nylund's version can fuck-right-off lol. toss pot...

....but then who plays halo for the single player campaign lol??

also just started reading "i shall wear midnight" and "dark side of the sun" by terry pratchett :p

and abandoned "peter pan in scarlet" halfway thru because i am in fact older than 12, and started to feel embarrassed while i was reading it :s (found it for 10p in local charity shop n thought what the hell)

if anyone else can stomach the awful way in which the halo novels are written (respect to the authors to be honest, cant be easy turning 10 hours of shooting and teabagging into a decent narrative) spelling, grammer, retarded'ness and all. then good for you!! lol. (i've been lynched by fanboys already for taking a dislike to em), i am however entitled to my opinion on the first 3 books as i've actually read them.

Finished this

I like the whole concept of the Runelords in the series. Althouhg both sides really just use the common people albeit for different goals. Way too much crammed into the last 60 pages though.

Now, on to a sci-fi book.

So I started this yesterday.

And about 40 pages in I'm kinda like, What's going on. Why do these characters keep refering to these things with no explination? (Which happens alot in sci-fi to do world-building)

I check on Amazon and it's a sequel to another book. What the hell? No where on the book does it say Book 2 of X or Sequel to X. This really seems to happen to me frequently with fantasy and sci-fi books.

[quote name='Maklershed']It only took 3.5 months but I finally finished The Stand. :whee:[/QUOTE]

It's not THAT big of a book. ;)

I'm guessing you probably didn't like it if it took that long though. I'm kinda in that boat with Under The Dome. A great story, but it's a slow unwind so far. I think it's been like a month and a half since I last cracked it open.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']It's not THAT big of a book. ;)

I'm guessing you probably didn't like it if it took that long though. I'm kinda in that boat with Under The Dome. A great story, but it's a slow unwind so far. I think it's been like a month and a half since I last cracked it open.[/QUOTE]

I liked it. Its just that it was my "at home" book since its physically huge and whatever is on my kindle is my commute book. For a stint there all I was doing at home was reading but then I got into Fallout New Vegas and that ate up all my free time. So I went for a big stretch there where I didn't even touch the book. And then I decide earlier this week that I want it out of the way and off my dresser I hunkered down and read through it.

I thought it was good but looking back at it there's a lot that could've been cut and/or in the end didn't even matter. I'm not scared away from big King books though because I'm considering getting Under the Dome for my kindle. I figured out from The Stand I enjoy reading about a small town coming together in the face of a crisis.

Started reading Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby last night.

Enjoying it so far. Hoping it's a return to form. I love High Fidelity and About a Boy, didn't care for How to Be Good or A Long Way Down very much. Didn't bother with Slam after not being interest in the Kindle sample.

I need to pick up something to read over my college winter break...
Moby-Dick (never was assigned it in high school and it seems so metal \m/) or
Paradise Lost (wasn't disciplined enough in high school to pay attention to it well, also I hadn't discovered my love of ancient Classics then, from which Paradise Lost is heavily adapted)

Anyone else got some good mythological-based suggestions?

[quote name='c0rnpwn']I need to pick up something to read over my college winter break...
Moby-Dick (never was assigned it in high school and it seems so metal \m/) or
Paradise Lost (wasn't disciplined enough in high school to pay attention to it well, also I hadn't discovered my love of ancient Classics then, from which Paradise Lost is heavily adapted)

Anyone else got some good mythological-based suggestions?[/QUOTE]

The Bible?

bread's done
Back