What are you currently reading? Post here!

[quote name='Maklershed']Just picked up that Brent Weeks Kindle book on Amazon for $1.99. (Book 1 of The Night ... Angel? .. Trilogy. Can't remember what it was)[/QUOTE]

Enjoy it. The first book was pretty darned good, but hate to say books 2 and 3 went downhill.

More of a thriller than a mystery, and not a very thrilling one at that. Very British but with a lot of extra padding that only adds to the page count and not the story.

Just finished Magic's Pawn by Mercedes Lackey. Great first book of The Last Herald Mage trilogy. Wasn't expecting some of themes, especially considering the 1989 publication date, but no problem with them, either.

Taking a break from that to read Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere.

This is what I've read over the past few weeks...

Shit My Dad Says by Justin Halpern. A short hilarious read. Great for anyone who has a long train ride.

Dreams from my Father by Barack Obama. Obama in his own words. An awesome read for anyone who enjoys autobiographies or is interested in US Presidents.

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. If you have ever contemplated going to culinary school or have any interest in the restaurant industry this book is a must read along with HEAT.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon. An enjoyable tale of a high functioning autistic boy. Be warned, this book is not everyone.

Where Men Win Glory by Jon Krakauer. The incredible story of Pat Tillman. A fantastic biography.

Currently reading Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke and Team of Rivals (about a third of the way through).

Finished The Well of Eternity. Good straight forward Knaak, always good value. It's nice to finally read about Brox, whom fans have told me much about.

Moving on to The Demon Soul now.

[quote name='Jam Of Truth']Finished The Well of Eternity. Good straight forward Knaak, always good value. It's nice to finally read about Brox, whom fans have told me much about.

Moving on to The Demon Soul now.[/QUOTE]

The War of the Ancients trilogy by Knaak (along with Night of the Dragon) are my favorite Warcraft books. I'm also interested to read the new ones, but they are pretty far in my backlog of reading.

[quote name='GhostShark']The War of the Ancients trilogy by Knaak (along with Night of the Dragon) are my favorite Warcraft books. I'm also interested to read the new ones, but they are pretty far in my backlog of reading.[/QUOTE]

The current books, Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects and Wolfheart, aren't something I'm going to be reading anytime soon. Gotta wait for the paperbacks to come out, which won't be until next year at the earliest (although I do have both paperbacks reserved on Amazon).

Zombie Spaceship Wasteland by Patton Oswalt - It had a couple really funny chapters. Some parts of it drag when he gets to his autobiographical stuff. Decent for a random read.

Kindle book deal of the day today sounds interesting - Gotham. Its $1.49. It's a highly rated book on the history of New York City.

Amazon description:
Like the city it celebrates, Gotham is massive and endlessly fascinating. This narrative of well over 1,000 pages, written after more than two decades of collaborative research by history professors Edwin G. Burrows and Mike Wallace, copiously chronicles New York City from the primeval days of the Lenape Indians to the era when, with Teddy Roosevelt as police commissioner, the great American city became regarded as "Capital of the World."

[quote name='Maklershed']Kindle book deal of the day today sounds interesting - Gotham. Its $1.49. It's a highly rated book on the history of New York City.

Amazon description:
Like the city it celebrates, Gotham is massive and endlessly fascinating. This narrative of well over 1,000 pages, written after more than two decades of collaborative research by history professors Edwin G. Burrows and Mike Wallace, copiously chronicles New York City from the primeval days of the Lenape Indians to the era when, with Teddy Roosevelt as police commissioner, the great American city became regarded as "Capital of the World."[/QUOTE]

Gotham is fantastic book which covers the history of NYC up to 1898. Part II has been in the works for the better part of a decade. I would recommend buying a HC copy of the book. Although, the kindle version might suffice.

Since im hooked on the Syfy series "Haven", I finally got around to reading "The Colorado Kid" by Stephen King, which the series is based on. Though there are some very noticeable differences between it and the show. For example, two of the main characters are loosely similar to their TV counterparts, but their whole way about them was the same, so that gave an instant visualization of the characters themselves. At 180 pages and being a mystery, quite askew from everything else Stephen King, I enjoyed it quite a bit, and recommend it to anyone with a little time to spare.

Picked this up at a used book store. I had vague recollections of reading and mildly enjoying the first book in the series years ago.

This book, not so much. After 130 or so pages in I'm dropping it. The main character has just NOW decided she's going to do something. Confusing names/shifts in viewpoint. And for some reason the author's name bothers me Dianah PHAROAH Francis. (B-word, your middle name is not Pharoah.)

Since I usually read my books in a pattern of fantasy/sci-fi/mystery/fantasy/sci-fi stopping the fantasy book breaks my pattern and slighlty mentally unbalances me. Do I read another fantasy book since I didn't technically finish this one? Or just move on to the sci-fi book and start the pattern anew?

[quote name='dastly75']Zombie Spaceship Wasteland by Patton Oswalt - It had a couple really funny chapters. Some parts of it drag when he gets to his autobiographical stuff. Decent for a random read.[/QUOTE]

Heh -- I just started reading this this past weekend. Part memoir, part comedy -- it's schizophrenic. Don't know if I like it yet.

Finished:

A Sword of Storms: Wow. And whoa. I really really wanted to keep reading Game of Thrones but wanted to take a break so it didn't go too fast.

So, first break was:

At first, it felt like a YA novel. Then shit got real. After Sword of Storms, the characterization, especially of the supporting characters, felt shallow. But I thought it was going to be predictable and it surprised me -- it started realizing some of the ideas I wished for but didn't think I'd see. Reminds me a bit of the Twelve Kingdoms anime, but not nearly as slow and dull.

Also finished:

I was going to drop it, but I found out the last two books on the shelf at the library were the end of the series, so I figured I'd see it to the conclusion. What a disappointment, especially since it has such great components. But it feels like its trying to be deep and failing because everything -- the characters and the "issues" are ultimately shallow. So much is left to interpretation that it's not definitive about anything, which makes it all seem kind of pointless. Can't believe the author is the same as Y: The Last Man. They're opposites, but not in a good way.

Still to go: last two collections of Y, then I have to find a new novel.

And that's enough out of The Demon Soul. It's rather cool to see Malfurion's power grow by miles at a time. I half expected him to break out his stormcrow form, but this would have been too soon.

So, on the The Sundering.

It was at a used book store. It was only $3. I guess I should know better.

It's okay, structurally sound and fairly decent sci-fi concepts even if they're not explained in the greatest of the detail. But the plot is just helter skelter it jumps around skipping over key events and when characters are only introduced for a paragraph it's hard to keep them all straight. Especially when the author(s) refer to them with their first, last, or nickname all within the same paragraph.
You can tell this was pushed together from two seperate short stories.

Finished the Lincoln Lawyer the other day. Good story, but was fairly anti-climatic (despite some crazy stuff happening) as the writing style is so straightforward. Hard to explain...

Still reading the Pearl Jam 20 book. And started up:

51xxgdkShLL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-47,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Also, if any fellow readers with Kindles weren't aware, you can now get Overdrive e-books from libraries in Kindle format. Update to the Overdrive system went live last week. Will be nice to read library e-books on my Kindle now instead of my iPad which I was using for them before since they weren't available on Kindle.

Reading A Tale of Two Cities. Like most people, I haven't read this since high school. About a 1/4 of the way through, enjoyable, but I can't help but think that I'm not picking up on a lot of the metaphors due to the language being quite a bit different.

[quote name='Maklershed']^ say what now? What's this overdrive?

(I'm at work so I can't investigate atm)[/QUOTE]

Overdrive is just the company that does e-book lending for libraries. Before it was only Epub/PDF with adobe digital editions DRM which Kindle couldn't support.

They updated the system and now also offer the books in Kindle DRM .mobi format now at most libraries.

So just check your local library website and see if they have it--if so (and you have a library card) you can check out books for the Kindle on the website and download them to the Kindle over Wifi (can't use 3G) or download to computer and drag and drop to the Kindle via USB.

My library gives you 14 days to read the ebook, after that the DRM expires and you can't open it any longer.

Only downsides are the same as with print books from the library--selection is somewhat limited and popular books tend to have long wait times. But it's still free. I've read a few on my iPad over the past few months while waiting for them to add Kindle support.

And that's all from The Sundering. So, aside from the new books, I'm all caught up on WoW lore. :D

Not sure what I'm going to read next. I've got a plenty of books on hand and a few others I'd like to look into getting.

Finished Cemetery Dance and started Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? last night. Somehow I've never read it, but the first chapter has me hooked.

Finished Gaiman's Neverwhere, moved onto Mercedes Lackey's Magic's Promise, Book 2 of The Last Herald-Mage Trilogy.

Looking at either the Deus Ex: Icarus Effect or Gears of War: Aspho Fields next, depending on what game Goozex sends my way first.

FINALLY finished Dan Simmons' Drood. The story was pretty fun. Definitely don't think this should be categorized as a horror book though. It's like the literary version of the movie Amadeus. At times though, it felt like a book report where Simmons just wanted to spurt out facts about Charles Dickens and Wilkie Collins. I feel like it could've been about 300 pages shorter.

Next book: The Princess Bride!

Picked it up at the Borders Clearance sale for like $3.00 (or less). Had read Mystic River and maybe something else by Lehane.

Really good. The twist is kinda telegraphed (especially if you've read enough books). Finished it in a little under two days.

In my effort to portion out Game of Thrones, I went into my book backlog:

And it was...okay. I never really liked the protagonist. I will say this: I had to google some of the stuff in the novel because I couldn't tell if it was real or not (this is Japan we're talking about), so points to the author for that.

I was thinking about starting Feast of Crows, but then I saw this at the library:

The first couple of chapters were incredible -- where the prose itself is pure entertainment. I'm in the middle, where it's a bit more plot centric, but still enjoying it.

I have to finish it soon, though -- the library tells me I've gone from 30th in the waiting list for Dance of Dragons to 5th, and I have to get through all of Feast of Crows. So much for spacing them out;)

Still trudging through A Dance With Dragons. It's really, really slow at times, but the drama and life breathed into characters in the dialogue is amazing. Jon and Tyrion's chapters are handled very well.

For school:

King Lear by Shakespeare
The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

Finished the Pearl Jan 20 book. Very good book, lots of good info, interviews, pictures etc.

Still reading the Keith Richards autobiography.

almost done Judas Unchained myself about page 650, wish I had read pandora's star when I had originally planned to before or during my 3 day trip home from Boise, mostly by train would have been rather fitting. Also I keep waiting to read it as starflayer for some reason.
halfway through Finding serenity : anti-heroes, lost shepherds, and space hookers in Joss Whedon's Firefly , roughly random essays about firefly, from before serenity came out.
finished The complete Hammer's Slammers. Volume 1 mostly how some joined the slammer's and where a few ended up.

Can anyone recommend me some good (older) books? The local library is having a book sale tomorrow and I'd like to find some books that I haven't read. I'll try just about any genre except for romance, really. I'll even try educational/reference books if they're on an interesting subject.
Thanks, if anyone can help.

[quote name='ROB64']Can anyone recommend me some good (older) books? The local library is having a book sale tomorrow and I'd like to find some books that I haven't read. I'll try just about any genre except for romance, really. I'll even try educational/reference books if they're on an interesting subject.
Thanks, if anyone can help.[/QUOTE]

How old? Have you read most of the classic?

Finished this and that closes out the series.

Although looking back every book follows the same pattern. Main character encounters the enemy/demons. Oh no, this is not what I expected! What to do? Debate choices for half the book! Join forces with one of the demons in the last third of the book and then defeat the enemy. Wring hands over difficult moral choices.

[quote name='kill3r7']How old? Have you read most of the classic?[/QUOTE]
I say older mainly because I doubt newer books will be in the sale (it's an old library) but I'm mainly looking for newer "old" books (70's and later) I guess.
Also, I'm mainly looking for somewhat obscure books, or even just some good authors to check out, really.

EDIT: I wound up spending $6.50 on books at a quarter a piece, and only two of them were previously library books. Most are like new, and from author's I've never heard of, so I hope they're good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only read this because I had to finish out the Trilogy. And it wasn't bad. At least it had more impact than other novels in the Trek Universe. Which I haven't read one, since the days when Next Generation was actually one air in the 90s.
A bit of an anti-climatic ending, but at least they adressed that in the book.

I'm reading "State of the Union Address" by George Washington,
washington_stateofunion.jpg

------------------
The Brothers Karamozov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, and
woodcut.gif

------------------
The Republic by Plato
The%20Republic%20Plato_128x128.png

[quote name='ROB64']I say older mainly because I doubt newer books will be in the sale (it's an old library) but I'm mainly looking for newer "old" books (70's and later) I guess.
Also, I'm mainly looking for somewhat obscure books, or even just some good authors to check out, really.

EDIT: I wound up spending $6.50 on books at a quarter a piece, and only two of them were previously library books. Most are like new, and from author's I've never heard of, so I hope they're good.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear you found something you liked. I would recommend using goodreads.com as a way to discover new books and authors. I know many CAGs are on it.

bread's done
Back