What are you giving up for Lent?

Number83

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
Besides reading stupid Off-Thread Topics (Btw, you just broke your lent...HA!):D

I'm giving up World of Warcraft...Which is gonna kill me because I just entered a 60 day card, and I won't play for the next 40 of them. I just keep thinking of my Rested XP I'm gonna get!

FYI, LiquidNight, this is by no means a Christian event. It's 100% Catholic. Christians don't recognize lent as the Bible doesn't command us to.

[quote name='ragtop70']FYI, LiquidNight, this is by no means a Christian event. It's 100% Catholic. Christians don't recognize lent as the Bible doesn't command us to.[/QUOTE]

You're right, and I agree with you 100%, but you're going to get some people riled up by saying catholics aren't Christians...whoo, boy.

[quote name='Number83']Actually...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lent[/QUOTE]

If wikipedia says it....IT MUST BE TRUE!!!!

Many Christians don't consider Catholics to be Christians, and the only group of people who practice lent are Catholics and off-shoots of the Catholic church who have broken away over the years, but still practice a lot of the same things.

BTW, many things on Wikipedia like this article will say "Christianity" and basically just mean catholics.

Giving up my dependance on the chain of being and joining the Priesthood of All Believers.

[quote name='Apossum']Giving up my dependance on the chain of being and joining the Priesthood of All Believers.[/QUOTE]

Oooh! Snap! Kudos to the Bible literate!

Focus Please!!! We're going Off-Topic on the Off-Topic Discussion.

This is not the forum for discussion of Religious Beliefs...That discussion is that way------------>

SneakyPenguin, if you mean my mom, I can PM you the Cemetary and Burial Plot number for her grave, if you are into that kind of stuff. Let me know.

Haw-haw, you people have to "give up" something! Suckers.

Although laughably my stepfather's giving up driving to save gas (he already drives a fuckin' Prius) and riding his bike instead.

Let's so how long that lasts, what with our snow and all.

[quote name='smitboy']BTW, many things on Wikipedia like this article will say "Christianity" and basically just mean catholics.[/QUOTE]
Actually any belief in Christ can be considered as being Christian. The word itself means follower of Christ. The Christian purists that I've seen are the most closed minded people I've ever met, with the whole believe our way because your way is wrong attitude. Simpsons said it best, its not about the big stupid differences, it about the big stupid similarities.

Well, I'm Catholic. Mine's lame though, I'm giving up buying video games. It's not the hardest thing in the world (especially with the backlog I have) but it's something I haven't brought myself to do for the last month, so I'm hoping Lent can be that extra push I need.

For the guy pimping out his mom, that isn't cool man (PM me, we'll make a deal)

:)

[quote name='smitboy']Oooh! Snap! Kudos to the Bible literate![/QUOTE]

actually, I'm just a jew (well, not any more, but I was raised jewish) who is taking a class where we had to read about Martin Luther :lol:

but if I were christian, I'd go by his version of Christianity. I like that he fought against the Pope and translated the Bible so that normal people could read it.

sorry to go OT (as I do in every thread)

Blandly deriding every mention of Christianity and, instead, attempt to have reasonable discussion about religion.

I plan on going for more than 40 days, though. I'm not a religious person, but I get tired of reactionary and thoughtless "hurrr, religion sucks" comments.

Alternately? Probably Pop Tarts.

I'm Catholic and I won't be giving up anything. When I'm on my death bed I'm going to wish I had 40 more days to do something I enjoy so why waste the time now? It's just so silly.

[quote name='Apossum']actually, I'm just a jew (well, not any more, but I was raised jewish) who is taking a class where we had to read about Martin Luther :lol:

but if I were christian, I'd go by his version of Christianity. I like that he fought against the Pope and translated the Bible so that normal people could read it.

sorry to go OT (as I do in every thread)[/QUOTE]

Nail that theses up, Martin! He did a lot of good things...except for killing others that didn't believe the exact same way he did. I guess he took that away from Catholicism as well. Zwingli and others did the same thing. Many Christians hold them near and dear to their hearts as patriarchs when they actually would have tried to kill some of us. Luther, Zwingli, Calvin and others are just weird people to study. They were right on in some things and extremely off-base in others.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Actually any belief in Christ can be considered as being Christian. The word itself means follower of Christ. The Christian purists that I've seen are the most closed minded people I've ever met, with the whole believe our way because your way is wrong attitude. Simpsons said it best, its not about the big stupid differences, it about the big stupid similarities.[/QUOTE]

I would actually disagree with you, but we'd just bicker all day and never change each other's mind, so I guess I won't...

I'm not Catholic... and I don't like vain attempts at kicking bad habits.

With that said: Masturbating.

Edit: Nevermind...

most of u guys are a bunch of fuckers, especially nickmad and hex.

Spirituality is one of the greatest things that us as humans have. If you truly believe in a mind body and soul (such as I do) then a cleansing and focus of the soul is one of the best things a person can do for oneself. Can you honestly say you are content and proud of the person you are?? Becoz even with the accomplishment of many goals and achievements there will always be some kind of emptiness or lack of happiness within you. Things like that can only be found within, and discipline is one of the best ways to go towards doing that.

While I think Lent is kinda silly in the sense that it's a systematic incentive for Catholics to be practicing discipline, at the very least it's there and people are doing it!!

It's just that, I find it a complete joke when I hear about people who give up dumb things like soda... obviously the system isn't too effective.

I've never given up anything.

The gf is giving up sweets/diet coke, though. It seems to be an excuse to diet, for most girls.

Anyway, Lent is for suckers. Ramadan is how all the cool kids get down. :cool: :lol:

[quote name='Jekki']Can you honestly say you are content and proud of the person you are?? Becoz even with the accomplishment of many goals and achievements there will always be some kind of emptiness or lack of happiness within you. Things like that can only be found within, and discipline is one of the best ways to go towards doing that. [/quote]

This won't end well.

[quote name='Number83']Besides reading stupid Off-Thread Topics (Btw, you just broke your lent...HA!):D

I'm giving up World of Warcraft...Which is gonna kill me because I just entered a 60 day card, and I won't play for the next 40 of them. I just keep thinking of my Rested XP I'm gonna get![/QUOTE]

to make things worse for you i heard that it'll only give you rested xp for 2 lvls.

I'll have to give up browsing for deals on Slickdeals.net
somehow i end up spending more money on shit i really don't need.

I went to a Lutheran elementary school, and in sixth grade, our teacher had us each give something up. I gave up buying anything Pokemon related, and I failed miserably.

I didn't even know it was Lent until it was mentioned here. So, nothing.

[quote name='JEKKI']If you truly believe in a mind body and soul (such as I do) then a cleansing and focus of the soul is one of the best things a person can do for oneself. Can you honestly say you are content and proud of the person you are?? Becoz even with the accomplishment of many goals and achievements there will always be some kind of emptiness or lack of happiness within you. Things like that can only be found within, and discipline is one of the best ways to go towards doing that.[/QUOTE]
Congratulations. You just explained why humanity had to make up religion.

[quote name='JEKKI']most of u guys are a bunch of fuckers, especially nickmad and hex.

Spirituality is one of the greatest things that us as humans have. If you truly believe in a mind body and soul (such as I do) then a cleansing and focus of the soul is one of the best things a person can do for oneself. Can you honestly say you are content and proud of the person you are?? Becoz even with the accomplishment of many goals and achievements there will always be some kind of emptiness or lack of happiness within you. Things like that can only be found within, and discipline is one of the best ways to go towards doing that.

While I think Lent is kinda silly in the sense that it's a systematic incentive for Catholics to be practicing discipline, at the very least it's there and people are doing it!!

It's just that, I find it a complete joke when I hear about people who give up dumb things like soda... obviously the system isn't too effective.[/quote]

:roll:

I gave up Catholicism in 2nd grade after I left Catholic school. Haven't looked back.

bread's done
Back