What changes to CAG would you like to see in 2007?

[quote name='GuilewasNK'] If there is going to be a graphic for the n-word then there should be for other insensitive words as well.[/quote]Got any suggestions?

CAG has saved me a LOT of money over the last couple of years (or cost it... depending at how you look at it). I find it to be extremely valuable, and I'd like to help out. There should be an entry, or section somewhere than makes it clear how you can "pay it back" to CAG. I know there are links to vendors, etc. But there should be donation links, quick ways to submit deals etc. A complete "contribute to CAG" section would be nice.

Second, I think the forums are a bit overdone. I know everyone likes to have their forums divided into specific topics, but based on the average threads and posting rates, it seems clear to me there are too many forums.

Third, as the site is mostly about gaming deals, the deals should be more prominent and take a larger part of the main page. Lately, I just skip the page and go right tot he forums when I want to see deals.

Fourth, it would be positively AWESOME if the CAG-o-Matic could track more sites. At least more of the biggies, like Wal-Mart, Overstock, Best Buy and Circuit City.

Fifth. As a general clearinghouse of low price information, it would also be helpful to see/track average ebay prices for games.

Hope some of the suggestions are useful, and not too out there. Thanks again for a great site.

[quote name='CheapyD']Got any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

A gay pride rainbow if someone uses any gay hate speech. or a penis

A cracker with crumbs coming of for cracker, or a geese flying for honkey.

[quote name='Revenantae']CAG has saved me a LOT of money over the last couple of years (or cost it... depending at how you look at it). I find it to be extremely valuable, and I'd like to help out. There should be an entry, or section somewhere than makes it clear how you can "pay it back" to CAG.[/quote]With the traffic whoring and all the vendor commission links, I couldn't possibly feel obligated to donate anything on top of that.

If things were modeled in the same manner as other sites where the vendor links would return a percentage of money back to YOU after your purchase, rather than someone else's pockets, then I would be more inclined to support your idea.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Actually, I really like that idea. Perhaps just a sticky in the Assistance Forum?[/quote]

me too. it kind've punishes the person for breaking the rules because then everyone knows about it, but it also shows people that the rules ARE being enforced and the mods are doing so fairly

No offense but I miss the days that the front page was used just for deals. The 71st edition of the cagcast ceases to be news in my opinion. Maybe put it in a sidebar graphic or something so you cans till bring in new listeners. But the middle top topics should be deals only IMO

[quote name='CheapyD']Got any suggestions?[/quote]

You took that the wrong way.

My suggestion is this...

The n-word should be $$$$$$ not the "Ninja" graphic. Just like the f-word for homosexuals and the g-word for asians. Those show up as $$$$$$ and $$$$ and not some little graphic if you type them.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']You took that the wrong way.

My suggestion is this...

The n-word should be $$$$$$ not the "Ninja" graphic. Just like the f-word for homosexuals and the g-word for asians. Those show up as $$$$$$ and $$$$ and not some little graphic if you type them.[/QUOTE]
I agree with you, if what you're saying is that you dont want to glorify the use of the n-word here. (I'm pretty sure thats what you're saying)

[quote name='6669']I agree with you, if what you're saying is that you dont want to glorify the use of the n-word here. (I'm pretty sure thats what you're saying)[/quote]

Yep. That is exactly what I was saying. I am really surprised Cheapy took it the other way because it was not my intention.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Yep. That is exactly what I was saying. I am really surprised Cheapy took it the other way because it was not my intention.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I've seen the word used more often since they added the "ninja" filter.

[quote name='6669']Yeah, I've seen the word used more often since they added the "ninja" filter.[/quote]
Agreed. I never really got why the ninja thing was done, outside of just being an option, since the word's use has grown since it was started. Just look at how often fuck is used because we've got the nifty shaq-fu graphic, which the previous forums just changed the word itself to "shaq-fu" before.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Just look at how often fuck is used because we've got the nifty shaq-fu graphic, which the previous forums just changed the word itself to "shaq-fu" before.[/quote]
That's only because you couldn't change it to specific words. Only $$$$ or graphics. Shaq-Fu grew on the whole site, so I don't think we just wanted $$$$. I actually use the word less because it's makes posts look stupid, IMO.

Nonetheless the word is censored, and that's what the ultimate goal is.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Yep. That is exactly what I was saying. I am really surprised Cheapy took it the other way because it was not my intention.[/quote] Yeah, I was kidding.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']More frequent and better front-page updates. And here's an idea: how about user-submitted updates that you can go through and approve?[/quote]
Yes, this will be happening.

[quote name='Trakan']That's only because you couldn't change it to specific words. Only $$$$ or graphics. Shaq-Fu grew on the whole site, so I don't think we just wanted $$$$. I actually use the word less because it's makes posts look stupid, IMO.

Nonetheless the word is censored, and that's what the ultimate goal is.[/quote]
I figured that, but my point was that when it's covered up by a graphic it'll be used a lot more than before because posters just want to see it. fuck isn't that big of a deal but the more serious words, like the ones that are already $$$$$$'d just don't stand out that easily. If Cheapy doesn't want the N word thrown around just because it has a cool graphic, then $$$$$$ing it is the better choice.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']It'd be nice if there was a ban announcement (I know this would be hard to do though). Maybe a forum that says, CAG *insert name* banned for *insert infraction*. People often wonder why people were banned and it leads to unnecessary conversation most of the time until a mod comes in and says what happened.[/quote]Yeah, I still don't know why David85 was banned, and it would nice to have confirmation why this recent string of bans was done, though I'm pretty sure we know why.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I figured that, but my point was that when it's covered up by a graphic it'll be used a lot more than before because posters just want to see it. fuck isn't that big of a deal but the more serious words, like the ones that are already $$$$$$'d just don't stand out that easily. If Cheapy doesn't want the N word thrown around just because it has a cool graphic, then $$$$$$ing it is the better choice.[/quote]

Yeah, I understand.

It's not used often now, though, is it?

I think variations of the f-word, considering one or two are already censored, should be added to the censor. For example, all caps.

Z-Saber, I reported a month or two back that the F-word in all caps gets missed by the filter a couple times. My reports have been "passed on to Cheapy" but nothing has been done.

so why is there no tv, movie, sports, music, etc forums. its all lumped into off topic, but the community is pretty big and there are tons and tons of threads that deal with these topics.

I mentioned this before in its own thread, but got no response, but back in the day we used to get special deals for CAG's through Gamestop, Overstock and the like.

Now I realize that Cheapy is in Japan, but how about we get a special deal through Play-Asia? A special coupon, or a special sale, or something.

Granted, alot of CAG's dont shop at Play-Asia often, but with the right incentive everyone will pick up at least something, and that's more money being made through the referral links.

[quote name='Roufuss']I mentioned this before in its own thread, but got no response, but back in the day we used to get special deals for CAG's through Gamestop, Overstock and the like.

Now I realize that Cheapy is in Japan, but how about we get a special deal through Play-Asia? A special coupon, or a special sale, or something.

Granted, alot of CAG's dont shop at Play-Asia often, but with the right incentive everyone will pick up at least something, and that's more money being made through the referral links.[/quote]

This should definitely be doable. They are really easy to work with.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Yeah, I still don't know why David85 was banned, and it would nice to have confirmation why this recent string of bans was done, though I'm pretty sure we know why.[/QUOTE]

Because he was a twonk?

[quote name='Roufuss']I mentioned this before in its own thread, but got no response, but back in the day we used to get special deals for CAG's through Gamestop, Overstock and the like.

Granted, alot of CAG's dont shop at Play-Asia often, but with the right incentive everyone will pick up at least something, and that's more money being made through the referral links.[/QUOTE]

Ditto (obviously.) Imports are expensive as fuck and definitely not CAG-friendly. It'd be nice to shave a few $$ off the price of the latest $70 shmup for us crazy folks... hell, even the people who just want cheaper 360 games would probably love something like this too.

[quote name='CheapyD']This should definitely be doable. They are really easy to work with.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, I made a thread awhile ago but I think it got buried.

Right now my import buying is limited to the super sales and a once every three month splurge, namely because most of the time my order dosen't go over $50 so no discounts, or saving $5 isn't enough on a $60 game.

You wouldn't see a *ton* of sales from a CAG coupon for Play-Asia, but you'd see more sales from people like me and Chacrana and the other people he mentioned. Maybe something like a $3 off $30, just to make shipping free, and that wouldn't Play-Asia's bottom line that much? Because I imagine a $10 off $60 would get abused way too much (but that would also be a very awesome coupon).

That would be awesome if we got a special coupon, and I'd throw a lot more business down with Play-Asia on top of what I already do. You can see from the Lunar Sale that a ton of people would buy imports if they just had a bit more incentive.

This talk reminds me that I should replace the current links in the import thread with referral links... anyway, whatever coupon or deal you could get us at PA would be much appreciated, Cheapy.

[quote name='Chacrana']This talk reminds me that I should replace the current links in the import thread with referral links... anyway, whatever coupon or deal you could get us at PA would be much appreciated, Cheapy.[/QUOTE]

If those are Play-Asia links, CAG already turns those into CAG referral links.

How about a temp ban (like 1 hour or something) anyone who uses "CAGers" ?
At least give it the treatment like fuck or nigger

ban people who r A~holes to other members u know who u are u suck big time

[quote name='starmask2k3']ban people who r A~holes to other members u know who u are u suck big time[/QUOTE]
I'd like to know who you are referring to.

[quote name='starmask2k3']ban people who r A~holes to other members u know who u are u suck big time[/QUOTE]
hahahahdf7.jpg

I've read through the whole thread. Any suggestions I am about to make will obviously be echoing those already posted.

When I came to the site, I came for the deals. And that was all. Before long, however, I found a great community in these message boards. And now, those two things are all I use this site for.

What I'm getting at is that I too miss the days of the frontpage being deals specific. There's just so much on there now that I have no interest in. Maybe if there aren't enough gaming deals that could grace the frontpage, the forums could take a bigger spread, and the deals could occupy a smaller area?

I think the "banned notice" is a great suggestion. Until reading through this thread I had no idea David85 was banned. Granted, I didn't care for his posts, but it's still news to me. I would like to know when and why users are banned.

I myself like the colors of the site and the boards. I'm sure more colors wouldn't hurt, but don't get rid of this style! (This is related to those saying they dislike the colors around here.)

I've felt that more mods would be a good thing. There are plenty of veterans around here that would make great additions, as a lot of them spend enough time here anyway! :razz:

And I like the idea of some sort of lurker/new user restrictions or removals.

That's really all I've got. There have been other fantastic suggestions in the thread thus far.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I too feel there is just way too much whoring out to digg around these days. Maybe it's just because I don't use that site, but I don't need to see a "digg this!" button on every page.

[quote name='Roufuss']Now I realize that Cheapy is in Japan, but how about we get a special deal through Play-Asia? A special coupon, or a special sale, or something.

Granted, alot of CAG's dont shop at Play-Asia often, but with the right incentive everyone will pick up at least something, and that's more money being made through the referral links.[/quote]

Done!
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127064

A working search function would be nice.

The colors on the site are fine, no changes necessary.

More mods. 6669 would be a good candidate.

I also like the "Wall of Shame" concept for banned users.

[quote name='CheapyD']Done!
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127064[/QUOTE]

Dude you are very awesome.

Where is the referral link for Play-Asia if I just want to buy random goods?

Is it a one time use coupon, does it expire, etc etc etc?

Nevermind, expires Feb 16th, still awesome, going to order a ton of stuff noooow.

I think I'm gonna go ahead and retract all my statements about what I want to change at CAG now ;)

I'd like to know who you are referring to.

not u zewone just people who hijack people thread to talk crap and try to make a funny

[quote name='starmask2k3']not u zewone just people who hijack people thread to talk crap and try to make a funny[/QUOTE]

Cheapy, you helped us once with the Play-Asia coupon. Could we ban this guy now for being kinda annoying? It'll be almost as awesome.

[quote name='neocisco']
More mods. -Never4ever- would be a good candidate.

I also like the "Wall of Shame" concept for banned users.[/QUOTE]

I second both motions ;)

I think I should be a mod partially because my tolerance for morons is pretty close to zero. And I'm on here enough to take care of problems within a reasonable amount of time.

[quote name='Chacrana']I think I should be a mod partially because my tolerance for morons is pretty close to zero. And I'm on here enough to take care of problems within a reasonable amount of time.[/quote]
The easiest way to not be a mod--ask to be a mod. From my understanding, it's a "don't call us, we'll call you" approach.

[quote name='neocisco']The easiest way to not be a mod--ask to be a mod. From my understanding, it's a "don't call us, we'll call you" approach.[/QUOTE]
Those who want the power deserve it the least.

[quote name='neocisco']The easiest way to not be a mod--ask to be a mod. From my understanding, it's a "don't call us, we'll call you" approach.[/QUOTE]

In business, it's called being a go-getter and that kind of attitude gets you hired. ;)

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Those who want the power deserve it the least.[/quote]

To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.
To summarize the summary: anyone capable of getting themselves made President should by no means be allowed to do the job.
To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.
-DNA
-the restaurant at the end of the universe

Chacrana, put a sweater or something on will you? I can't help but stare at your chest. And I'm a girl.

[quote name='guinaevere']

Chacrana, put a sweater or something on will you? I can't help but stare at your chest. And I'm a girl.
[/QUOTE]

I'm beautiful and you can't stop me.

Edit: Oh, and you guys are going a tad bit overboard. I'm just half-jokingly saying that I'm willing to do the job... not that I want to oppress the masses or bring mass genocide to the lands.​

Maybe we have a different definition of the word 'exclusive', but announcing a special code on the front page isn't mine.

I know the goal is all about page views and getting new members, but it doesn't do any favors to the existing members who have signed up for the deals and participated in the forums when any Tom Dick or Harry can see the front page and run the deal into the ground.

I know we have SD and FW lurkers here, but at least they had to increase the member count to do so.

I'd like it if the CAG Trading forums could somehow be searched according to "Haves" and "Wants". A lot of times when I'm searching for a game I "want" my search results return that game in other people's "want" lists, which of course is useless. Everybody "wants" Suikoden II. I want to see who "has" it.

[quote name='Chacrana']I think I should be a mod partially because my tolerance for morons is pretty close to zero. And I'm on here enough to take care of problems within a reasonable amount of time.[/quote]

Certain CAGs aren't held to the rules as highly as everyone else though. You might see some of your decisions overruled IMO. Ask punqsux.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Maybe we have a different definition of the word 'exclusive', but announcing a special code on the front page isn't mine.

I know the goal is all about page views and getting new members, but it doesn't do any favors to the existing members who have signed up for the deals and participated in the forums when any Tom Dick or Harry can see the front page and run the deal into the ground.

I know we have SD and FW lurkers here, but at least they had to increase the member count to do so.[/quote]Maybe that is something I will keep in mind for next time.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Certain CAGs aren't held to the rules as highly as everyone else though. You might see some of your decisions overruled IMO. Ask punqsux.[/quote]Certain CAGs think they know what happened...and they don't.

Cheapy, If you decide to add a video game database (Which would be kickass) How about you run some contests, and people could gain points for adding submissions to the database. Then after.. X amount of time, the most points wins whatever prize.

This would probably encourage people to add stuff to the databse quickly - Mods could approve or disapprove the submissions (based on the criteria used, such as release dates.. box art, etc.)

bread's done
Back