What does an American look like?

Clak

CAGiversary!
I've heard people say often that someone doesn't look American when referring to someone they think is foreign. Now there is the understanding of what they're probably getting at, but it still makes no sense to say such a thing. Americans have no particular race, language, religion, or anything else that can really be thought of as uniquely American (with the exception of a few art forms). So why do people say this and how did it start?

Slightly overweight white female who is not paying attention to what she is doing because she is texting.

5515945485_3fdc428364.jpg

At least for another 20 years and then we become more Latino instead of white and ofcourse slightly chubby will turn in to fat!

This goes way back to the social and legal definitions of white and black racial categories. What it came down to is that anyone that was considered white was able to enjoy the full rights and protections under the law as a citizen of the US. Anyone that wasn't considered white wasn't able to become a naturalized citizen or enter into legally recognized contracts.

Since American and white are used somewhat interchangibly to avoid the subject of race, it's kinda ingrained in our mythology of Americana. Although, there's an argument that the varieties of Native American cultures should be considered American and nothing else.

There's a lot more deeper stuff going on with your example, but that's the short short short version of the simplist explanation of this particular aspect of the origin.

[quote name='nasum']that girl is actually kind of hot, despite the terrible choice of footwear[/QUOTE]

O dont get me wrong id hit it. If anything I like girls that are not twigs and have a few extra pounds. I was just being a smart ass though because statistically we have more females then males, more whites then any other group and naturally everyone has their fucking face in their phone now days.

Edit - And I just noticed the shoes....are those orthopedic or something ;)

I can tell already this thread is anti-American.

[quote name='nasum']that girl is actually kind of hot, despite the terrible choice of footwear[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MSI Magus']O dont get me wrong id hit it. If anything I like girls that are not twigs and have a few extra pounds. I was just being a smart ass though because statistically we have more females then males, more whites then any other group and naturally everyone has their fucking face in their phone now days.

Edit - And I just noticed the shoes....are those orthopedic or something ;)[/QUOTE]
You fuckers have something against Crocs? :lol:

[quote name='dohdough']You fuckers have something against Crocs? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Nah as I said I wouldnt worry about the shoes....the cigarette she is smoking may be a deal breaker though ;) Then again since getting married I aint exactly in shape anymore and have about a 10 pound beard at the moment so I doubt I could be picky at the moment!

[quote name='docvinh']A white guy in a cowboy hat looking to pay for his non dairy creamer with a credit card.[/QUOTE]

What do you call an American with PHD in physics and math?

[quote name='Strell']What do you call an American with PHD in physics and math?[/QUOTE]
Doctor, duh. I mean come on man....fuck....;)

[quote name='camoor']I think all Americans have a touch of the stupid. A bad thing.[/QUOTE]
Fixed for ya.;)

Hmm?

Oh.

Y'all look like college-aged kids at a bus terminal in Lisbon with Canadian flag pins attached to your backpacks.

Any questions?

[quote name='dohdough']You fuckers have something against Crocs? :lol:[/QUOTE]

"I'm a size 11, size 12 in Crocs.". I don't know if you know what movie this is from or not.

As for what an American looks like, like UncleBob of course! Heck I probably am not a good example of the look of a typical American. While I'm White I wouldn't be surprised if I'm mixed and that just does NOT fit what an American does or should look like. ;P

Use to be hardworking, took pride in what they accomplished, law abiding and respectful people.

Now? All they care about is the latest iphone, Jersey Shore (idiocracy was right), LULZ, stupid blogs and twitter accounts and looking for a handout.

Ugh. I'll take it upon myself to get this thread back on track. I actually wrote up a phantom post about this but abandoned it so I guess I'll just bring back some of those points.

First thing? We have no style. Pot calling the kettle black here but if you look at the clothes you can get off the shelf at a major American retailer to the clothes you find at a major retailer abroad the difference is readily apparent. American clothes are baggier and more casual. Which brings me to my second point.

Americans are fat. Let's face it, we are. We carry a lot more fat than foreigners and we carry it in different places due to the type of lifestyles we lead.

In addition to constant interaction with foreigners now, I used to make the trip back and forth to Montreal at least twice a month and these were things I noticed right away. Anecdotal, etc. but this seems like the type of thread where it flies.

[quote name='SgtMurder']Use to be hardworking, took pride in what they accomplished, law abiding and respectful people.

Now? All they care about is the latest iphone, Jersey Shore (idiocracy was right), LULZ, stupid blogs and twitter accounts and looking for a handout.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this. Now a days, you get flamed IRL for expecting people to take pride in themselves, or their home..or work hard.

You also get flamed when someone says "amg im so broke ::plays with iPhone while wearing expensive clothes::", and you point out that perhaps they could have more money if they didn't waste it on such nonsense.

[quote name='lilboo']Pretty much this. Now a days, you get flamed IRL for expecting people to take pride in themselves, or their home..or work hard.

You also get flamed when someone says "amg im so broke ::plays with iPhone while wearing expensive clothes::", and you point out that perhaps they could have more money if they didn't waste it on such nonsense.[/QUOTE]

It's just not even sad. This country deserves what it has coming to it. We've already seen the collapse of the dollar, and the American male is pretty much a goner, everything else, stability included is next.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Americans are fat. Let's face it, we are. We carry a lot more fat than foreigners and we carry it in different places due to the type of lifestyles we lead.[/QUOTE]

I'm really curious about this topic, because - as comedians have said - people in starving countries don't have food related diseases. Americans have trouble drinking milk, eating peanuts, can't digest gluten, are diabetic, etc. You could parlay vegans/vegetarianism into here as well, but that's more of a life choice so it's not wholly applicable.

Is this just due to bad health? Is it due to bad food? Corn syrup? All the drugs readily out there that repeatedly kill people? The air?

I jus doan unnastayn.

[quote name='SgtMurder'] the American male is pretty much a goner[/QUOTE]

Uh.

[quote name='Strell']I'm really curious about this topic, because - as comedians have said - people in starving countries don't have food related diseases. Americans have trouble drinking milk, eating peanuts, can't digest gluten, are diabetic, etc. You could parlay vegans/vegetarianism into here as well, but that's more of a life choice so it's not wholly applicable.

Is this just due to bad health? Is it due to bad food? Corn syrup? All the drugs readily out there that repeatedly kill people? The air?

I jus doan unnastayn.[/QUOTE]

Woops. I edited out my post in an effort to help Clak get this back on track. Anyways. I vaguely recall having a conversation about this same topic recently and IIRC we came to a consensus on multiple factors:

1. Modern medicine is only recently making accurate diagnosis of these type of things. They were misdiagnosed in the past but these type of dietary problems were always there.
2. Children growing up in too sterile an environment don't have properly developed immune systems.
3. It's really not coming to me at the moment so this is a place marker and I will edit it back in.

[quote name='Clak']This isn't exactly where I was going, maybe I should have been more specific. Ah well.[/QUOTE]

We have the technology. We can rebuild this thread.

Be more specific.

[quote name='Strell']

Uh.[/QUOTE]

You take a look at how these so called males are dressed and you tell me that it's okay.

You're a liar and only kidding yourself if you do junior.

[quote name='Strell']A little oversensitive there, bro. I was looking for clarification, not a bunch of idiotic posturing.[/QUOTE]

Nothing oversensitive at all about what was posted kid. I see you're trying to have two different attempts at trolling me in two different topics. Won't work buster.

You want me to clear it up for you? Ok, take a good look at the so called models for young American boys these days. Freakin' computer geeks, pop singers and reality TV stars and even worse androgynous rock bands. Males these days are being repressed and being clipped of their manhood by having to be PC and denying what makes them a male. When's the last time you seen a kid outside with his friends riding bikes? Or hear about a kid building a damn tree fort? Pretty rare ain't it? But these little turds walking around today sure as hell know where to buy their tight, douche wear and how to get high scores in COD as oppose to getting an education and learning to work with their hands.

That enough for you?

[quote name='cochesecochese']Woops. I edited out my post in an effort to help Clak get this back on track. Anyways. I vaguely recall having a conversation about this same topic recently and IIRC we came to a consensus on multiple factors:

1. Modern medicine is only recently making accurate diagnosis of these type of things. They were misdiagnosed in the past but these type of dietary problems were always there.
2. Children growing up in too sterile an environment don't have properly developed immune systems.
3. It's really not coming to me at the moment so this is a place marker and I will edit it back in.

We have the technology. We can rebuild this thread.

Be more specific.[/QUOTE]
What I was getting at is that it's incredibly stupid (no surprise there) to say someone does/doesn't look American. As I said originally, Americans come in all races, religions, languages etc. I look at the posts who have tried to pin down what an American looks like, but it makes no sense and isn't what I meant at all. I was just trying to expose the ridiculous idea that an American looks one way or the other.

You could take two people, one from America and another from wherever the first actually came from, dress them the same way and all, and you couldn't tell a difference. I suspect race plays into it, but then that makes no sense either, but then this makes no sense in the first place anyway.

[quote name='SgtMurder']Nothing oversensitive at all about what was posted kid. I see you're trying to have two different attempts at trolling me in two different topics. Won't work buster.

You want me to clear it up for you? Ok, take a good look at the so called models for young American boys these days. Freakin' computer geeks, pop singers and reality TV stars and even worse androgynous rock bands. Males these days are being repressed and being clipped of their manhood by having to be PC and denying what makes them a male. When's the last time you seen a kid outside with his friends riding bikes? Or hear about a kid building a damn tree fort? Pretty rare ain't it? But these little turds walking around today sure as hell know where to buy their tight, douche wear and how to get high scores in COD as oppose to getting an education and learning to work with their hands.

That enough for you?[/QUOTE]
Education levels are consistently rising in America and have been for roughly our entire history. A kid today knows more about science than an adult 20 years ago.

Computers? Turns out they're here to stay.

Androgynous? David Bowie's father, is that you?

Damn kids today with their poodle skirts and leather jackets. Get off my lawn.

For fuck's sake, it's not 1950s anymore.

And even the 50s were fucking bullshit, a dream made up by corporate television under the guise of "the good 'ole days," which never existed.

Hot fuck on a stick, delusional doesn't even scratch the surface of the surface.

See? I'm cussing like a kid back in the 50s! Lookitmego!

Gee Fonz, something sure got you angry. Lets go down to Arnold's and grab a burger!

edit- And what the fuck is wrong with having a computer geek as a role model? Better that than some testosterone laden moron who can throw da ball. You're living in the information age, and those computer geeks of years past are some of the richest people in the world. Take your ignorant ass and leave.

Solution: Make a WWE personality called Bill Hates. He can have the Flying Keyboard Elbow Drop and Blue Bodyslam of Death.

It's still called the WWE, right? Sorry, I'm not versed on wrestling matters. I only played two wrestling games back during the NES days, and one of them had the Honkey Tonk man, where I WRECKED EVERYONE'S SHIT.

[quote name='SgtMurder']Nothing oversensitive at all about what was posted kid. I see you're trying to have two different attempts at trolling me in two different topics. Won't work buster.

You seem to like talking about boys a lot. Didn't even mention the girls though.

I wonder why that is.

[quote name='Clak']You could take two people, one from America and another from wherever the first actually came from, dress them the same way and all, and you couldn't tell a difference. I suspect race plays into it, but then that makes no sense either, but then this makes no sense in the first place anyway.[/QUOTE]

But that would defeat the purpose, no? One of the best ways (for me) to distinguish whether someone is a 'native' or a foreigner is how they dress themselves.

[quote name='Strell']For fuck's sake, it's not 1950s anymore.

And even the 50s were fucking bullshit, a dream made up by corporate television under the guise of "the good 'ole days," which never existed.

Hot fuck on a stick, delusional doesn't even scratch the surface of the surface.

See? I'm cussing like a kid back in the 50s! Lookitmego![/QUOTE]

Are you serious? My grandfather, who fought and served for this country, tells me a completely different story. Typical progressive thinking, you want to destroy and erase the once proud past of this country by saying it never happened, when there's mountains of evidence to support it did.

I wish it were the 1950's, where people worked hard and had fucking gumption. Also, please don't try and lump me with "Derp you wanna go back to blacks in the back, women in the kitchen, gays are tards herp n derp" crowd, because that cheap tactic doesn't work.

That's funny - that's the opposite of what my WWII vet grandfather who died of Alzheimer's a few years ago would have said. But hey, don't take my word for it. Go down to his grave and see what he has to say. I'm not entirely sure he's fully resting.

[quote name='cochesecochese']You seem to like talking about boys a lot. Didn't even mention the girls though.

I wonder why that is.[/QUOTE]
He's secretly Jerry Sandusky?

[quote name='Clak']He's secretly Jerry Sandusky?[/QUOTE]

Quiet, you. Nah seriously I went back and responded to you for realz dawg. IIRC the last time that guy posted in here it was a shitfest so let's just banter back and forth about your original idea. Cool?

[quote name='cochesecochese']You seem to like talking about boys a lot. Didn't even mention the girls though.

I wonder why that is.[/QUOTE]

Because men use to be fucking men. Not what we have been reduced to today. We're not meant to be at home in the kitchen like many of these so called "modern families", we're suppose to be out on front lines working, protecting our community from thugs and other trash. Our young men are suppose to be expected to serve this country proud whether in the trenches or on the streets of our towns and cities.

that's why, again your tactic of trolling fails again...

I wonder why that is.

But that would defeat the purpose, no? One of the best ways (for me) to distinguish whether someone is a 'native' or a foreigner is how they dress themselves.[/QUOTE]
But clothing doesn't make the man, so to speak. I didn't think this would be such a hard topic to explain, but I guess I was wrong. It seems pretty simple to me. It's simply stupid to say that someone does or doesn't look American. Plenty of Americans dress like people do in the middle east, or south america, or plenty of other places.

[quote name='Clak']Gee Fonz, something sure got you angry. Lets go down to Arnold's and grab a burger!

edit- And what the fuck is wrong with having a computer geek as a role model? Better that than some testosterone laden moron who can throw da ball. You're living in the information age, and those computer geeks of years past are some of the richest people in the world. Take your ignorant ass and leave.[/QUOTE]

Who would you rather have defending this country?

[quote name='SgtMurder']Who would you rather have defending this country?[/QUOTE]

A drone built by a smart geek rather than someone putting their life on the line for dumbasses like you.

[quote name='Strell']That's funny - that's the opposite of what my WWII vet grandfather who died of Alzheimer's a few years ago would have said. But hey, don't take my word for it. Go down to his grave and see what he has to say. I'm not entirely sure he's fully resting.[/QUOTE]

What did he say then, let's talk this out like grown men and not children then.

[quote name='SgtMurder']What did he say then, let's talk this out like grown men and not children then.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I mean I know I've got more balls than required to satisfy that requirement, but you're pulling down the average.

[quote name='Strell']A drone built by a smart geek rather than someone putting their life on the line for dumbasses like you.[/QUOTE]

:applause: and onward we lead to a complete police state. congrats.

And women who started wearing pants back in the 60s or whenever the hell that change took place became men. Look it doesnt matter how someone dresses, it does not make them more or less of a man. A good example of how stupid that macho behaviour is is the way I dress vs the way I live. I paint my finger nails all sorts of different colors and was thought gay for years because of it. Now I am married to a wife that lets me pick up other women and the same guys who snickered and called me gay outright hero worship me over something iv done a total of 1 time. The guy my wife dated before me painted his nails(but only black where as I do rainbow colors)and was a skinny little twig boy that sung in some crappy emo band and wore girl pants. But the guy got more stanky on his hang low then anyone I know. Point is the way you dress means nothing about how manly you are.

Also you need to get off the whole Americans dont work hard the way they used to thing. This has been true since the boomers came in to adult hood. Unless you are of the World War 2 generation you have nothing to be proud of with your generation. You ran around as flower children till you got bored of it then spent the next several decades living off the prosperity your grandparents built by investing in education, technology and infastructure. Now that you have ate up all the food your grandparents stocked in their pantry while never building one of your own your looking to your kids and grandkids to leach off their future. Anyone over 40 but under somewhere around 80 should honestly be ashamed. My generation will most likely be a bunch of lazy failures too, but at least we have the excuse of being "raised"(if you really want to count leaching off us and putting us in front of the TV vs spending time with us)by 3 or 4 generations of assholes in a row.

Edit - And really I guess even people of or before the WW2 generation dont have much to be proud of. They accomplished a lot but they often did it by sacrificing the weak and the poor. This country was built on the backs of Indians, of blacks and of poor immigrants. People look at things at the Hoover Dam and think "we cant accomplish anything like that in such a short time frame anymore because people dont have that gumption". Truth is we cant because a few lazy foreman sat back and killed dozens of people by placing them in unsafe work conditions where they basically let poor immigrants work to death.

Edit 2 - Just wanted to clarrify too that I know I gave a lot of examples about having sex with women to counter the idea that dressing a certain way makes you more manly. I dont believe that the essence of a man is tied directly to how many chicks he has bagged. However I do recognize that its a very important factor in the mind of most men so its a good thing to use in these types of situations. Really its meaningless because you could be gay and be just as much of a man if you take care of your kids, sacrafice for you friends and family and stand up tall and proud without any fear of the world. To me things like that 10 fold say what a man is and again seeing as most people over 40 failed their kids and as SgtMurder has shown are scared of anything thats not the norm...there aint been any men around for a long long time.

bread's done
Back