What next generation system(s) are you purchasing?

Sorry, but I don't shit dollar bills. I'll probably end up getting an XBox around the time XBox 360 comes out, and maybe a PS2 around when PS3 comes out. Having to save up to go to college, I don't have the luxury of spending as much as I'd like on consoles.

I will have the revolution on pre order and that's a fact , alltough i don't know what each one is going to offer i might pick up ps3 or 360 !

[quote name='JSweeney']Likely all three. Again.

Console wars are for silly children and geeks to yell about on the internet.[/QUOTE]

I gotta agree

[quote name='coolieman2001']I hope Nintendo will bust out some new IPs for the Revolution. Iam getting tired of the old Nintendo franchises[/QUOTE]
Nintendo: "What? Old franchises? What in god's name are you talking about?" (Goes back to milking cash cow) ;)

it'll be really hard to resist an Xbox 360 on launch day if it launches with DOA 4 and a couple other sure fire games. I'm a Team Ninja whore.

But eventually, I will own all 3.

I'll probably buy the PS3 and Revolution around lauch and wait to see how things go with the XBOX 360. I feel like my buying the first XBOX was almost a complete waste of money. If not for Ninja Gaiden, DOAU/3, and Halo (the first one!) I would sell the damn thing.

PS3 whenever GTA4, Suikoden 5 or the first Armored Core for it comes out.
Revolution totally depends on all the stuff Nintendo actually does with the system and the controller. Backwards Compatibility with GC makes it a likely buy as I took my GC back after discovering the lack of third party games.
360 whenever it actually gets a few good RPGs, japanese RPGs that is. I don't care in the slightest about Live or WebTV or any of that crap and FPS as well as Fighting games are really low on my list of games to get. There's only a few games for XBox now I want so I don't have any real incentive to buy another so in four more years they can launch a newer console. Or maybe they'll get a really good jump on Sony and launch a new console in late 08/early 09. Of course if the eventual port of GTA5 only has multi support on the 360... things will change.

[quote name='Zennousha']PS3 whenever GTA4, Suikoden 5 or the first Armored Core for it comes out.
Revolution totally depends on all the stuff Nintendo actually does with the system and the controller. Backwards Compatibility with GC makes it a likely buy as I took my GC back after discovering the lack of third party games.
360 whenever it actually gets a few good RPGs, japanese RPGs that is. I don't care in the slightest about Live or WebTV or any of that crap and FPS as well as Fighting games are really low on my list of games to get. There's only a few games for XBox now I want so I don't have any real incentive to buy another so in four more years they can launch a newer console. Or maybe they'll get a really good jump on Sony and launch a new console in late 08/early 09. Of course if the eventual port of GTA5 only has multi support on the 360... things will change.[/QUOTE]

hmm Kotor, Kotor 2, fable, and jade empire.... let alone that the 360 has a lot of third party exclusives coming... geez.. i'm sorry japanese RPGs just started all to look like a FF clone i want more customization when it comes to the RPGs i play. I'm hoping for a Neverwinter Nights type 100+ hour RPG and more content to be created by the Live community and adventuring over XBL.. i can see Co-Op FPS or TPS become the industry standard come next gen.

Currently, I own a XBox and a GC, and have access to a PS2.

Depending on what happens with XBox 360 backwards compatibility, I'll see about getting it at launch or right after launch.

If the PS3 is backwards compatible with PS2, then I'll think about the PS3. Otherwise, it's well beyond first price drop stage for me.

Same scenario for the Revolution as above on the PS3.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']As of right now none. CAG has made it possible for me to have a HUGE backlog of sealed games this generation and I doubt I'll get around to playing them anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

For me, this is the number one reason to have a built-up library. I have so many games and so many that I'm waiting to drop (God of War, RE4, Doom 3). Why bother being an early adopter, esp. if the front-line software suffers.

Backward compatibility will be a huge factor.

For instance, I have over $400 in EB credit that I'm going to slowly milk out in cheapass deals (picking up $10 games etc) plus I'll slowly add some on tradein deals.

So,

if neXt Box (whatever its called) launches at $300 this year and
its backward compatible (space reasons as much as any) and
I could get $50 tradein on my old Xbox

Then I might jump at one this fall.

Otherwise, I will wait and see what happens . . . I would likely get all three in the long run . . . esp. if all are backward compatible and each has desirable exclusive games.

I don't plan on buying a certain system.... I'm gonna watch the new games as they come out, and plan on buying the ones I like. Whatever system I have to get to play them is incidental.

Amazingly (to me), this pole shows this so far:

Revolution: 104
Xbox 360: 104
PS3: 96

Is it obvious that the average CAG isn't the casual gamer? :)

[quote name='urzishra14']hmm Kotor, Kotor 2, fable, and jade empire.... let alone that the 360 has a lot of third party exclusives coming... geez.. i'm sorry japanese RPGs just started all to look like a FF clone i want more customization when it comes to the RPGs i play. I'm hoping for a Neverwinter Nights type 100+ hour RPG and more content to be created by the Live community and adventuring over XBL.. i can see Co-Op FPS or TPS become the industry standard come next gen.[/QUOTE]
Western style RPGs bore the hell out of me. Hell I fell asleep a few hours into KOTOR2 because the constant slow interactions and flood of text got so boring, the load times didn't help any either. Then again I nearly fell asleep more than a few times playing SMT:Nocturne too so JRPGs aren't immune. Fable just wasn't that fun to me. It had all the right ideas but the execution... Haven't played JE yet and probably won't. Aren't any details for any RPGs for 360 just names attached to projects which doesn't mean much to me because people can drop the ball easily. NWN type would be nice but if they try to use that micropayment crap for any of the mods then it will suck. I don't understand why MS panders to the Live crowd so much when it's not even a tenth of their base. Them cancelling True Fantasy shows their mindset on the direction they want to take Live and the games for it.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I don't plan on buying a certain system.... I'm gonna watch the new games as they come out, and plan on buying the ones I like. Whatever system I have to get to play them is incidental.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel.

[quote name='Zennousha']Western style RPGs bore the hell out of me. Hell I fell asleep a few hours into KOTOR2 because the constant slow interactions and flood of text got so boring, the load times didn't help any either. Then again I nearly fell asleep more than a few times playing SMT:Nocturne too so JRPGs aren't immune. Fable just wasn't that fun to me. It had all the right ideas but the execution... Haven't played JE yet and probably won't. Aren't any details for any RPGs for 360 just names attached to projects which doesn't mean much to me because people can drop the ball easily. NWN type would be nice but if they try to use that micropayment crap for any of the mods then it will suck. I don't understand why MS panders to the Live crowd so much when it's not even a tenth of their base. Them cancelling True Fantasy shows their mindset on the direction they want to take Live and the games for it.[/QUOTE]

I've grown tired of JRPGs (japanese style) because of the lack of customization. I don't want my story to revolve around "the main character".. even though Kotor had that element you could easily play with 3 different character types and you could forgo playing the main character for most of the game. but enough on that.. yeah just names are attached right now.. and i don't want to pay for all the content that is produced for games online (yeah some are alright but if i have to pay a dollar here and a dollar there.. shit i already pay 6 dollars a month for crying out loud)..

I do love XBL.. i wish they had a free online RPG for it (doesn't have to be MMO) but just one or two and it'd be a great selling point.. i think the console market needs that kind of stuff.

I have no idea. The only one I'm definitely picking up at launch is the Revolution. I'll probably get the PS3 and 360 eventually though if they ofer different games/experiences...

Ill get all 3 ofcourse since I wasnt able to get all 3 at launch last year, although I dont have money coming out of my ass I do kno how to spend and save money its easy anyone could afford the xbox 360 now. If u work you can save 30 dollars every week on the side and by the time xbox 360 comes out you would have enough cash to get it provided it will retail for $300. I hope the launch games are HD ready cause I cant wait to see those games in HD . :D

I have such a backlog of games right now, I'm soooo not ready for the next generation. But I'm also a sucker for new technology. I've been putting away money all year for an Xbox 360 at launch. Xbox has been my favorite system this gen. I'm hooked on Live and can't wait to see what's up next. Xbox 360 is pretty much a sure bet for me.

Revolution intrigues. Nintendo has usually been my #2 system in every gen as they always come up with a handful of "must play" games.

PS3 will have to outshine everything at E3 to get me to wait for it. Not ruling it out completely though.

I'm going to wait till at least the first price drop. This generation I bought the Gamecube about 2 years in at $150 and it came with 2 free games.

I will probably get the Revolution unless the whole touch pad thing turns out to be a wash.

I chose "f em" on the poll, but only because I'm going to wait until the first price drop. I've got tons of games that I haven't had time to play through yet thanks to the deals I get on here, so I've got plenty of stuff to last me 'till then. When I do get one, it's probably going to end up being the Revolution, especially if it really does have VGA support out of the box. I just ended up with a 36" VGA monitor not too long ago, and my Dreamcast looks amazing on it. I can only imagine how good the Revolution will look if it really has built-in VGA output. :D

I'm going to wait for the first (or second!) price drop as well.

By the time the systems drop in price, the launch lineup will all be cheap, so it's a win-win situation.

In the meantime, I'll just play the backlog of games I do have.

I wanted Oblivion, but I'll just pick it up for PC.

I always wait for at least the first price drop as well. Not only do you avoid any hardware issues with the launch models but you can actually find decent games for a given system at a decent price later on. It really gets my goat how retail stores advertise "everyday low price $49.99" like they're doing you a favor or something.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi2']I always wait for at least the first price drop as well. Not only do you avoid any hardware issues with the launch models but you can actually find decent games for a given system at a decent price later on. It really gets my goat how retail stores advertise "everyday low price $49.99" like they're doing you a favor or something.[/QUOTE]

I forgot about the hardware issues as well. Gotta love those launch Xbox's. The only company I wouldn't mind getting a launch system is Nintendo, since they make good console hardware straight from the get go.

The best part is, once next gen systems start coming out, all these stores like Target, Best Buy, Wal-Mart etc will start slashing prices big time on current gen games to get some instant shelf space, since they are so limited.

If we have another TRUish deal I'll get the PS3. Later, I'll get the Revolution. On a distant and dark day, I MAY get the 360 if its cheap enough.

Nintendo rarely has any games that I'd want to play...Pokemon XXII Magenta anyone? :)
Mario-Kong-Puzzle-Kart Fighter? Pass.....

Just kidding.......its just that Nintendo doesn't really offer me anything, they dont "speak" to me anymore, but Xbox and PS2 still do. I'll pass on Revolution unless something earth shatering comes out. I must admit I am still tempted to buy a gamecube for the 2 star wars games out for it, and probably only for those 2 SW games.

My guess is that if there are 1 or 2 games out at launch, I'll buy the system. I've waited six months to get a PSP and now I'm ready to buy, now that a few games have come out I can see myself playing for hours.

Xbox 360 I might get, if its backwards compatible, because then I'll have 2 Xboxes in the house and HOPEFULLY you can do LAN match gaming between them. I'm going to have to add a Gaming entry into my budget.....2005/2006 is going to be.....expensive.

I have wasted so much money on buying systems at launch I am going to definantly wait this one out for awhile... my huge backlog of games Ive yet to play will make the wait easy... noone out there cares today that my current generation of sytems were purchased before any price drops (save my GCN, which was picked up when it dropped to 150)

Definantly going to wait until the system hits its stride, when developers have a few years to take advantage of the technology instead of getting us hyped out over crappy games (anyone remember The Bouncer during PS2's first few months)... rarely do launch games live up to the promise of a systems potential, except with some of nintendos games and Halo

By that time, the systems will be introducing the ineveitable greatest hits lines, and the glut of titles will mean prices will drop quicker. I used to pick up ANY ten dollar game from Best Buy no matter how crappy (Transworld surfing comes to mind), now thanks to CAG, I am even selective on 5 dollar games...

That said, a few years from now, I will own all 3 systems, but will wait a long time to get them

The problem with that logic is that you assume you'll be able to resist the urge to buy the new systems, when people are running around showing off the drool-inducing graphics and the incredible new gameplay.

The ONLY thing you'll have going for you is that, for the most part, launch titles suck. With the rare exception, most launch titles are either short tech demos, or they are unpolished games not taking advantage of the systems abilities.

[quote name='JSweeney']Likely all three. Again.

Console wars are for silly children and geeks to yell about on the internet.[/QUOTE]

Or with people that don't have money and do have lives.

Right now I'm not buying any. The PS3 has the worst controler ever. Xbox 360 is dhit, and the N5 till doesn't seem that different.

I'll probably buy the ps3 when price drops, but I'll have to see the list of games in the far-future for each system before considering which system.

after first price drops - ps3
after second price drops - 360 & revolution

but that could all change depending on what games come out when and for what system....i could easily end up buying them all after the first price drop....but im sure the ps3 will be purchased first

Eventually all three, but I'll probably buy either the PS3 or XB360 first. I'll have to wait and see which has better games (that's all that really matters).

EDIT: Though barely any systems have had great launches (as far as games go), so it'll probably be at least summer 06 before I buy anything.

EDIT 2: As you can see by my collection, I much prefer the PS2 in this generation. But the XB360 launching first could change everything.

This may be the first generation that I become an "early adopter." DOA4, Condemned, and even Kameo have me looking forward to the Xbox 360. The PS3 is definitely looking good, and I'll have to buy the Revolution to play Nintendo's games. So, yes, I'll likely be getting all three.

The current generation I said I was only going to get PS2 at launch and maybe the other two later. Bought all three on their respective launch days along with games and accessories. Probably do the same again. On the fence about Revolution though. I have barely played my Gamecube. Who the heck am I kidding? I will probably buy it just in case they put out something I "have" to own.

I'll be getting a 360 or PS3 at launch, haven't decided which, and a Revolution later on

I voted for PS3 only because that's the only one I'm sure I'll be getting. I've learned in this generation that it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to own multiple systems because I just don't have the free time that I used to. I own a PS2 that I'm lucky if I can play 5 hours a week, and a Gamecube that is essentially my son's now because I haven't used it in months.

That's the reasonable, logical side of my brain talking. The other side of my brain is also really excited about the XBox 360, and if I know myself, at some point I'll give in to that excitement and buy it as well, lack of free time be damned.

In my life I have only been excited twice about new systems. I remember I dropped a nut when I saw pics of Super Mario World for the SNES. The second time was when I saw Sonic Adventure for the Dreamcast, and I finally thought they got 3D right. None of the games from PS3 or Xbox360 look that exciting to me, not much of a jump in my eyes to get me going.

bread's done
Back