What religion are you?

[quote name='getmeoutofjoliet']For Marketing purposes.[/QUOTE]
:?:

Marketing for what?

[quote name='dcfox']Asian[/QUOTE]Everyone knows you're a foxy black gurrrrl. :nottalking:

I'm a Lesbian.

But I was born Roman Catholic, and I really don't care for it anymore. I believe in God and all..and that's pretty much it.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']So my official answer is "free agent soul". I could probably be converted, although not easily due to stubbornness - I'm a Taurus. :) I love to toss Astrology into this mix. But basically if your God has a good package, I could be down. What does your god offer? Forgiveness, peace, tranquility, rebirth, heaven, virgins, etc etc?[/quote]

I think this is the right attitude. Just remember that if a guy in a red suit and horns gives you a contract to sign - remember to read the fine print! :twisted:

I remember back in college we were watching a Simpsons episode where Bart loses his soul, and this guy who was huge into talking up science/atheism sold his soul for $5. Later that year he bought it back for $15. True story.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']So who is our resident Jew?[/quote]

Probably some liberal tree-hugging lawyer.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Christian, but I don't do organized religion anymore. I see no need to pay someone to tell me I'm going to hell.[/quote]

Shit I'll do it for free: GuilewasNK, you're going to hell.

j/k of course!

[quote name='Rozz']Catholic should be lumped into Christian/Other.[/QUOTE]

What, so we can be associated with base Episcopalian heathens?

I think not.

[quote name='Magus8472']What, so we can be associated with base Episcopalian heathens?

I think not.[/quote]

Regardless if you like it or not it's a form of Christianity :)

Atheist. Wasn't on the list, so I picked agnostic - close enough for me. Neither are religions, but not including them on the poll would exclude a good chunk of the website, so whatever.

EDIT: Gorilla, I know I don't tell you this often enough, but... I love you, honey god damn that was stupid.

I chose Other. My mom is a buddhist, my dad is a baptist (I think), and I plain just don't care about religion.

[quote name='The Crotch']Atheist. Wasn't on the list, so I picked agnostic - close enough for me. Neither are religions, but not including them on the poll would exclude a good chunk of the website, so whatever.

EDIT: Gorilla, I know I don't tell you this often enough, but... I love you, honey god damn that was stupid.[/quote]

Merriam Webster Dictionary definitions:

Agnostic - one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

Athesit - one who believes that there is no deity

So, you're trying to tell me someone who won't outright say there is or isn't a God, is the same as someone who will outright say there isNO God?

But hey, I just get my definitions from the Dictionary. I'm sure Wikipedia knows better, right!?

a·the·ist
n. One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

dis·be·lieve
verb, -lieved, -liev·ing.
–verb (used with object)
1. to have no belief in; refuse or reject belief in

And again the original defintion of agnostic:

1.a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience.

Although that has been expanded to something more like your definition.

[quote name='SpazX']a·the·ist
n. One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

dis·be·lieve
verb, -lieved, -liev·ing.
–verb (used with object)
1. to have no belief in; refuse or reject belief in[/quote]I'm not going to start fucking debating the definition of words within the definitions. If you think someone who won't committ to the belief of a God is the same as someone who is completely committed to the non-belief of a God, then you're a fucking moron.

Man A: I might want a bowl of soup, then again, maybe I don't, I did just eat!

Man B: I refuse to eat any soup.

Yes, obviously, those 2 people think alike.

[quote name='geko29']Sorry, try again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_atheism

The minimum requirement for Atheism is lack of belief in a god. Active disbelief of god is possible, but not necessary. Agnostics believe that the existence of god cannot be proven or disproven. Those ideas are not mutually exclusive.

In short, I voted Agnostic even though I am an Agnostic Athiest.[/QUOTE]

There is no atheist who believes they can disprove the existence of god. The very concept of a god disallows proof. "Agnostic atheist" is redundant BS, you're an atheist.

other - Antitheist.

Or Atheist if you'd rather. That generally involves less explanation and slightly less hostility.

[quote name='Surferflames']other - Antitheist.

Or Atheist if you'd rather. That generally involves less explanation and slightly less hostility.[/quote]

Hey man I forgot about that one.. that's cool... I should have went with that. I'm wondering why you're an antitheist though? Is it cuz of all the harm religion has caused over the years?

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I'm not going to start fucking debating the definition of words within the definitions. If you think someone who won't committ to the belief of a God is the same as someone who is completely committed to the non-belief of a God, then you're a fucking moron.

Man A: I might want a bowl of soup, then again, maybe I don't, I did just eat!

Man B: I refuse to eat any soup.

Yes, obviously, those 2 people think alike.[/quote]

I don't know why you felt the need to debate with definitions in the first place. I never said they were the same. Not believing in something doesn't require a positive belief against it, but both come under the definition of atheism.

[quote name='Koggit']There is no atheist who believes they can disprove the existence of god. The very concept of a god disallows proof. "Agnostic atheist" is redundant BS, you're an atheist.[/QUOTE]I agree. I had never heard of an "agnostic atheist" before, which isn't surprising considering the wiki consisted of one quote from one man. Seemed like he was reading way too much into it.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']So who is our resident Jew?[/quote]

Cheapy D is Jewish I believe, although I see him eat a LOT of pork! LOL!

I don't think he keeps kosher!

PP

Cradle Catholic. Went through my life going through the motions. Then my wife took these classes to become Catholic and I was her sponsor. I learned so much about what it means to be a Catholic, but also what it means to have faith. I don't think one religion is better than an other, we have to follow our hearts, no matter where it takes us.

[quote name='Javil']I agree. I had never heard of an "agnostic atheist" before, which isn't surprising considering the wiki consisted of one quote from one man. Seemed like he was reading way too much into it.[/QUOTE]
Maybe he means he believes he may or may not be an atheist, but he isn't sure. Agnostic Atheist.

Or not.

TruthRebuttal.jpg

[quote name='Javil']I agree. I had never heard of an "agnostic atheist" before, which isn't surprising considering the wiki consisted of one quote from one man. Seemed like he was reading way too much into it.[/quote]
I think the Wiki explains it well. Agnostic didn't originally mean "I don't know" it meant "I can't know." Since it deals with knowledge it is independent of belief. So an agnostic theist is one who thinks it's impossible to know whether or not there is a god, but they believe that there is, and an agnostic atheist is one who thinks it's impossible to know whether or not there is a god, but believes that there isn't.

As Koggit says, atheists don't usually think you can actually scientifically prove that there is no god, but I know there are plenty of atheists who think you can logically prove that there is no god.

Even though I don't think many people would actually use both of the labels for themselves they're not necessarily redundant. Many atheists might also think that they don't know how to prove if there is a god or that we can't prove it now, but agnosticism in its original form meant that it is absolutely unknowable.

As I was saying, the neutral position still falls under the definition of atheism anyway, so it's unnecessary to say agnostic atheist in that sense, but the two words are basically interchangable when used for the neutral position.

[quote name='SpazX']I think the Wiki explains it well. Agnostic didn't originally mean "I don't know" it meant "I can't know." Since it deals with knowledge it is independent of belief. So an agnostic theist is one who thinks it's impossible to know whether or not there is a god, but they believe that there is, and an agnostic atheist is one who thinks it's impossible to know whether or not there is a god, but believes that there isn't.

As Koggit says, atheists don't usually think you can actually scientifically prove that there is no god, but I know there are plenty of atheists who think you can logically prove that there is no god.

Even though I don't think many people would actually use both of the labels for themselves they're not necessarily redundant. Many atheists might also think that they don't know how to prove if there is a god or that we can't prove it now, but agnosticism in its original form meant that it is absolutely unknowable.

As I was saying, the neutral position still falls under the definition of atheism anyway, so it's unnecessary to say agnostic atheist in that sense, but the two words are basically interchangable when used for the neutral position.[/QUOTE]Very well put. I wanted to expand on what I thought about it more, but it's kind of hard to wrap your head around. In one sense it seemed like he was simply describing an atheist deciding to think more like an agnostic, but it does go further than that. I guess you could say that an agnostic atheist is more reasonable than a strict atheist, as you can't present an infallible argument as to a god not existing.

I would be an agnostic atheist then, but "agnosticism in its original form" has definitely changed. It's kind of relatable to how people use "ironic" incorrectly, but everyone seems to accept it and knows what is implied. The general populace, including myself, have dumbed down atheism to simply not believing there is a god and agnosticism to believing there is a god but not caring. So in a nutshell, I'd agree that it's unnecessary to say agnostic atheist.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Hey man I forgot about that one.. that's cool... I should have went with that. I'm wondering why you're an antitheist though? Is it cuz of all the harm religion has caused over the years?[/quote]
Aside from the big obvious harms it has done, and the sheer magnitude of hatred that spawns because of it, I just don't like how it causes people to feel as though they need it. Unlike the fanatical religious supporters though, I'll never tell someone what to or not to believe, simply that they better not push it on me or my (future)children.

edit: I suppose I should add I was raised Christian. Then I started thinking for myself.

ok while we are on this subject. This is a very simple question. If a religious person can explain it to me would be great.

Why dinosaurs??? Did god mess up and be like opps your not what I look like?

[quote name='Surferflames']Aside from the big obvious harms it has done, and the sheer magnitude of hatred that spawns because of it, I just don't like how it causes people to feel as though they need it. Unlike the fanatical religious supporters though, I'll never tell someone what to or not to believe, simply that they better not push it on me or my (future)children.

edit: I suppose I should add I was raised Christian. Then I started thinking for myself.[/quote]

Cool.

[quote name='Koggit']There is no atheist who believes they can disprove the existence of god. The very concept of a god disallows proof. "Agnostic atheist" is redundant BS, you're an atheist.[/quote]

Actually, if you really want to go deep into it, the minimum requirement to being an athiest is lack of belief in any PARTICULAR god. So if you want to get technical, 99.999% of the world's population is athiestic regarding particular religions. ALL christians are athiests, for example, because they don't believe in allah, or shiva, or brahman or any other number of gods. In order to not be athiest in the very strictest sense of the word, one must believe in EVERY god.

Now that's not to say the commonly used meaning isn't more descriptive, and hence useful. But if you try to get a little bit literal on me, I'll go the whole nine yards right back at you. :)

And yes I'm an agnositc athiest. I don't know whether or not god exists, and I don't give a shit if he/she/it does. Since I neither believe nor deny, both monikers fit. If I steadfastly held that there is no god, then you would be correct, I would simply be a (strong) athiest. Since I lack that active disbelief, I could be described as a weak atheiest, which allows the use of other adjectives to more accurately describe me.

[quote name='Maklershed']As opposed to the male one?[/QUOTE]

Actually there are medical conditions in which that can happen. Jamie Lee Curtis is an example (supposedly).

Christian, used to be Catholic, but now I see no purpose in associating with different churches.

Although I do prefer the Catholic church over most protestant churches if I must go, especially the ones with the cheesy singing constantly.(no disrespect).

[quote name='crystalklear64']Organized religion is useless.[/quote]

Pretty stupid statement right there. Organized religion has done more good than bad.

BTW, I'm a Roman Catholic.

[quote name='Unickuta']Pretty stupid statement right there. Organized religion has done more good than bad.

BTW, I'm a Roman Catholic.[/QUOTE]
Incorrect.

I don't subscribe to a pre-packaged belief system but I think they can be really beneficial to society.

I try to be honest/good and don't plan on worrying about an all-powerful being or force until I'm dead.

Some days I'm superstitious, some days I feel like Karma or Fate is messing with me, but generally I just don't worry about it.

I think people need to worry about making the Earth a better place before concerning themselves with the afterlife.

[quote name='Unickuta']Pretty stupid statement right there. Organized religion has done more good than bad.

BTW, I'm a Roman Catholic.[/quote]

That, sir, is a stupid statement as well. Organized religion has done as much good and as much bad as any other thing. Catholicism, and by extension, most major religions have a set of rules by which human beings can live by in order to be what is perceived as a 'good person' (though I question certain excerpts such as the ban on shellfish). By that same token, Catholicism and by extension Christianity & its various offshoots, is responsible for the Crusades, the Inquistion, Salem witch hunts, George Bush, Jerry Falwell, american skinheads who thought jesus was a white guy, banning sex education concerning prevention, stem cell debate, insisting on creationism be taught in school, etc. Now, to be fair, atheism cannot be wholy painted in a good light either. Stalin's Communist regime is responsible for many genocides, both political & religious in order to secure his power base. But, admittedly, the examples of 'bad' atheism are far fewer than the crimes committed by religion (at least, those I'm aware of).

The problem really isn't about religion or atheism. It's about people. Religion & atheism are merely the excuses for justifying harm towards another person. It's about as logical as blaming a video game for a kid shooting up a school. I think people who do or act crazy and use religion or something as justification were crazy to begin with and if religion didn't set them off, I personally guarantee that some other benign thing would have.

[quote name='jaykrue']Now, to be fair, atheism cannot be wholy painted in a good light either. Stalin's Communist regime is responsible for many genocides, both political & religious in order to secure his power base. But, admittedly, the examples of 'bad' atheism are far fewer than the crimes committed by religion (at least, those I'm aware of).[/QUOTE]

1180993442620rk0.gif

Yeah, cause Stalin's cult of personality was not a religion. Nope, not at all.

[quote name='jaykrue']It's about as logical as blaming a video game for a kid shooting up a school.[/QUOTE]

Religion and video games are not similar things, and therefore you're analogy is flawed.

[quote name='jaykrue']I think people who do or act crazy and use religion or something as justification were crazy to begin with and if religion didn't set them off, I personally guarantee that some other benign thing would have.[/QUOTE]

You're assuming that religion is comparable to any number of different things in society, which it clearly isn't, and children aren't force-fed religion from the day they are born, which they are. Both these facts can greatly alter a person's development to the level that it would actually change the kind of person they become. Then you have to consider the fact that religion tends to prey on the weakest when it comes to adults (drug addicts, poor foreign people) who are in position to be influenced.

my religion involves not giving a shit about any after life and living my life to the fullest while not wasting time and energy on a fictional representation of how my life could be.

i call it: "not giving a shit about any after life and living my life to the fullest while not wasting time and energy on a fictional representation of how my life could be"-ology

Roman Catholic, pretty much keeping the bulk of the dirty sinners on here from bursting into flames, you damn liberals! And I'm a Republican to boot so I am probably the most dispised person this board has ever seen. But whatever. I only use this board for deals and don't use this board to supplement my social life so I have no problems sharing this board with yall! And I'm Northern to...and from NJ, ahhh.

[quote name='evanft']
1180993442620rk0.gif

Yeah, cause Stalin's cult of personality was not a religion. Nope, not at all.[/QUOTE]

Strawman. We're talking strictly about organizations about which a supernatural force is worshipped. While Stalin may have perceived himself to be godlike, I don't think he qualifies as one.

Religion and video games are not similar things, and therefore you're analogy is flawed.

Oh? And of course there's no such thing as zealous fanboys whose devotion could be considered religious. :roll: Nor are you missing the fact the statement is based around the idea that using religion as an excuse for shooting a place up is also flawed.

You're assuming that religion is comparable to any number of different things in society, which it clearly isn't, and children aren't force-fed religion from the day they are born, which they are. Both these facts can greatly alter a person's development to the level that it would actually change the kind of person they become. Then you have to consider the fact that religion tends to prey on the weakest when it comes to adults (drug addicts, poor foreign people) who are in position to be influenced.

That's utter BS and you know it. First of all, even if they were force-fed as children, some of them have the strength of will & mind to actually think for themselves. Hell, some of them mention this IN. THIS. VERY. THREAD. Second of all, I don't denounce religion as completely bad either since they offer guidelines for living a 'good' life. The only issue I would have w/ such things is over minutae which has no bearing on one's life in the modern age such as the ban on shellfish (go look it up). Lastly, even if it 'tends' to prey on the weakest, are you saying people like Osama bin Laden or George Bush are in positions 'to be influenced'? It's more like they're in a position 'to influence'. Do you know how many devote, affluent Christians there are in the US? Have you seen the megachurches sprouting like mushrooms in otherwise secular communities?

[quote name='evanft']
1180993442620rk0.gif

Yeah, cause Stalin's cult of personality was not a religion. Nope, not at all.

You're assuming that religion is comparable to any number of different things in society, which it clearly isn't, and children aren't force-fed religion from the day they are born, which they are. Both these facts can greatly alter a person's development to the level that it would actually change the kind of person they become. Then you have to consider the fact that religion tends to prey on the weakest when it comes to adults (drug addicts, poor foreign people) who are in position to be influenced.[/QUOTE]

For the last part of your argument I don't understand it at all. Religion is not forced on anyone. It's the parents job for the most part to "push" religion on there kids. They have the choice of a private (religious) school or a public (religion-free) school. Parents don't have to take their kids to church either. It's strictly up to the parents until the kid is old enough to make is own decision. Religion has always been an option, at least in our country so your argument makes no sense. I could understand being in the Middle East where religion is pretty much law with regards to women's rights and a lot of things we take for granted here. I don't see how religion "preys" on drug addicts or other people in bad situations. Your confusing religions open arms towards not turning people away who are poor or unfortuanate with some time of trying to brainwash these people into a religious life. Brainwashing is what colleges do, not religion. Religion is an option. It's your choice to go, to do what it says, etc. So I don't know what the problem is with it. Just because it reaches out to people doesn't mean there is some sinister reason behind it, maybe they just want to help! And really what is so bad if they are religious, do the morals, giving nature, or overall positive attitude towards there fellow man bother you somehow?

[quote name='The Dictionary']a·nal·o·gy (ə-nāl'ə-jē) Pronunciation Key
n. pl. a·nal·o·gies

1. Similarity in some respects between things that are otherwise dissimilar.[/quote]
The more you know!

bread's done
Back