What was the last CD you bought? - The Sequel

I recently bought Marvin Gaye - What's Going On. Great album. If anyone is looking for some really laid-back, smooth soul music, that's the cd to get.

The Beatles 1 by The Beatles

The Bends by Radiohead

In Rainbows by Radiohead

OK Computer by Radiohead

Kid A by Radiohead

O, Yeah! Ultimate Aerosmith Hits by Aerosmith

As I Am by Alicia Keys

Best of Bowie by David Bowie

Thank you pepsi....:cool:

Forgot to mention:
John Cale - Paris 1919[quote name='red flare graf']
The Kinks - Lola versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One[/quote]
Noice.

I bought In Flames- Come Clarity

Except I get the cd,its the right disc art and everything, but there's only 1 song on the CD and it's not by In Flames.

[quote name='dallow']Haha, I saw her too at the start of the tour.
Whoa, does that mean you were there when she made those comments?

She's crazy.
The CD was 2 bucks, I think it was worth it.
It's out there.[/quote]

He did a weeklong residency in NYC and I went the night before she made the comments AND the night after she made the comments (Girl in a Coma's first night as the replacement opening act).

Of course, I missed the night where Kristeen Young discussed the Moz's oral skills in front of a packed house.

I downloaded one of her CDs from eMusic shortly before the first show and it wasn't awful...live, however, she was just completely unhinged.

[quote name='bmachine']He did a weeklong residency in NYC and I went the night before she made the comments AND the night after she made the comments (Girl in a Coma's first night as the replacement opening act).

Of course, I missed the night where Kristeen Young discussed the Moz's oral skills in front of a packed house.

I downloaded one of her CDs from eMusic shortly before the first show and it wasn't awful...live, however, she was just completely unhinged.[/quote]
True Moz fan, hehe.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours
Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles[/quote]

good job on the crystal castles cd ,its awsome!

Borders is doing their somewhat-infamous 40% Off All CDs deal again this week (through Wednesday, May 14).

Rewards members should have gotten an email with a coupon this morning.

I bought Pearl Jam's self titled cd yesterday after coming home and opening it I discovered a huge scratch on the bottom of it. I bought the cd was brand new! What should I do?

[quote name='bmachine']Borders is doing their somewhat-infamous 40% Off All CDs deal again this week (through Wednesday, May 14).

Rewards members should have gotten an email with a coupon this morning.[/quote]

I took advantage of the coupon, as always. My local stores' selection is growing thinner, but I still managed to pick up 9 albums:

The Black Keys - Attack & Release
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!
Duffy - Rockferry
Explosions in the Sky - How Strange, Innocence
M83 - Saturdays = Youth
Portishead - Third
Josh Ritter - In the Dark: Live at Vicar Street
She & Him - Volume One
Anna Ternheim - Halfway to Fivepoints

I've been down here in Memphis for the last couple of weeks. Picked up a repressing of Carla Thomas & Otis Redding's King And Queen. And from what my mom says, I've got a shitload of packages sitting at home for me to open up. Also pre-ordered CocoRosie's upcoming limited picture disc of their new single which is one awesome fucking song(http://www.touchandgorecords.com/cocostream/), really wish their new one was coming sooner than 09 but Ghosthorse and Still Born and the new song should tide me over.

Still need to hit up Shangri-La and Goner Records

[quote name='bmachine']Borders is doing their somewhat-infamous 40% Off All CDs deal again this week (through Wednesday, May 14).

Rewards members should have gotten an email with a coupon this morning.[/quote]Can't believe I missed this. :(

Sun Kil Moon - "Ghosts of the Great Highway" (Deluxe Reissue)

I already had the original version of this one, but I needed the six-track second disc. (Another version of "Salvador Sanchez"? Yes, please.)

[quote name='rapsodist']http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/coupon40cd0512.htm[/quote]I'm thinking about checking this out later today, but seeing as how I don't think I've ever been to Borders, I don't know what kind of selection they typically have, or how atrociously marked-up their prices typically are. They might have something good, though.

[quote name='siderealshift']I'm thinking about checking this out later today, but seeing as how I don't think I've ever been to Borders, I don't know what kind of selection they typically have, or how atrociously marked-up their prices typically are. They might have something good, though.[/quote]

I've mentioned before in this thread that I've done the math and compared to Amazon and DeepDiscount's prices. Even with tax, the Borders coupons are more helpful than you might think, many times bringing albums to $2 or $3 lower than the aforementioned merchants. Of course, this isn't a rule, so just make sure you do some research before heading over to Borders.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Borders tends to switch back and forth between two different music coupons, one for 40% off and one for $9.99 CDs. Either one can be significantly better than the other depending on the original price of a CD, so shop accordingly.

As for selection, it really seems to vary from store to store. I'm lucky to have stores with a decent stock and surprisingly great selection from which I can buy CDs I sometimes can't even find at the local indie shops!

The CD section at my Borders is looking a bit picked over these days, but I mined a few good ones out of the limited selection:

The Breeders - Mountain Battles
Nick Cave and the Bad Seed - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!
The Rapture - Pieces of the People We Love
Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
Patton Oswalt - Werewolves and Lollipops

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']What do you think of it?[/quote]

I like it. There's a lot of brooding, angsty stuff here...which definitely works for me. "Bixby Canyon Bridge" could even be a Cure song, which is really something for a band that doesn't evoke The Cure in any other way. Some of it's a little poppy, a couple of tracks are sort of pretty and heartbroken...it all kind of works, though. I'd recommend it.

Last night I went over to the closest Borders, and found their selection to be pretty weak. They were alright in terms of variety, but not so much in terms of volume -- they had two racks dedicated to "Rock/Pop".

[quote name='rapsodist']I've mentioned before in this thread that I've done the math and compared to Amazon and DeepDiscount's prices. Even with tax, the Borders coupons are more helpful than you might think, many times bringing albums to $2 or $3 lower than the aforementioned merchants. Of course, this isn't a rule, so just make sure you do some research before heading over to Borders.[/quote]From a few Amazon searches I did before heading over there, I basically found the same thing.

I ended up getting...

Pixies - "Surfer Rosa"
Pixies - "Bossanova"
Broken Social Scene - "You Forgot It In People"

...for $7.19 (plus tax) each. Not horrible.

I noticed that the coupon was for Borders Rewards members only, but seeing as how most stores are with their coupons, I figured they would make it happen even though I wasn't a member. Well, that turned out not to be the case, as the moron running the only available register couldn't even figure out what the coupon said, much less how to process it. She was convinced that it could only be used on one item, so I had to walk her through the entire coupon. She had the audacity to cop an attitude and argue semantics with me, so I had to put her in place.

I had to sign up for their Rewards program, but I don't think I'll ever be shopping there again. At least twice during the ~7 minute checkout process I almost walked.

[quote name='siderealshift']Last night I went over to the closest Borders, and found their selection to be pretty weak. They were alright in terms of variety, but not so much in terms of volume -- they had two racks dedicated to "Rock/Pop".

From a few Amazon searches I did before heading over there, I basically found the same thing.

I ended up getting...

Pixies - "Surfer Rosa"
Pixies - "Bossanova"

I noticed that the coupon was for Borders Rewards members only, but seeing as how most stores are with their coupons, I figured they would make it happen even though I wasn't a member. Well, that turned out not to be the case, as the moron running the only available register couldn't even figure out what the coupon said, much less how to process it. She was convinced that it could only be used on one item, so I had to walk her through the entire coupon. She had the audacity to cop an attitude and argue semantics with me, so I had to put her in place.

I had to sign up for their Rewards program, but I don't think I'll ever be shopping there again. At least twice during the ~7 minute checkout process I almost walked.[/quote]

Sorry, I completely forgot to note that the coupon was only for Border Rewards members. Still, it is a free signup and I had no problem doing that at time of purchase when I used the coupon for the very first time. The actual rewards program is complete trash but these coupons are worth it to me.

Also sorry to hear that you had such trouble with the cashier. I don't understand how someone can be so blind. The coupon explicitly says "limit 3 per customer" and in the cashier instructions --which she is supposed to read!-- says "Repeat up to twice more if multiple CDs are purchased."

Your store's selection does sound pretty weak, unfortunately. My stores have 10-14 racks devoted to rock and pop. In any case, I'm glad to hear that you managed to find some very nice Pixies and BSS albums even if you won't ever be going back!

[quote name='siderealshift']Last night I went over to the closest Borders, and found their selection to be pretty weak. They were alright in terms of variety, but not so much in terms of volume -- they had two racks dedicated to "Rock/Pop".

From a few Amazon searches I did before heading over there, I basically found the same thing.

I ended up getting...

Pixies - "Surfer Rosa"
Pixies - "Bossanova"

I had to sign up for their Rewards program, but I don't think I'll ever be shopping there again. At least twice during the ~7 minute checkout process I almost walked.[/quote]

You Forgot It In People is one of the greatest albums you'll ever listen to. Each track is utter genius, "Anthems for a Seventeen Year Old Girl" and "I'm Still Your $$$" are brilliant.

Just bought Eric Hutchinson "Sounds Like This"

[quote name='rapsodist']I don't understand how someone can be so blind. The coupon explicitly says "limit 3 per customer" and in the cashier instructions --which she is supposed to read!-- says "Repeat up to twice more if multiple CDs are purchased."[/quote]Exactly. I was as dumbfounded as you. When she finally did do it correctly, she said something like "Fine. If you insist." It took considerable restraint on my part not to escalate the situation.

Anyway, I just got my shipment of 10 CDs from that $4.99 deal on BestBuy.com. Some pretty good shit in there -- basically a lot of Sonic Youth records.

[quote name='xeno']i love that album[/quote]
Agreed. Vampire Weekend rocks.

I just picked up the new Kooks album yesterday.

[quote name='bmachine']65daysofstatic - The Destruction of Small Ideas
[/QUOTE]

Wonderful.

It's a bit different from their first two albums, but it's still damn good. Much more raw and "live" I guess would be the appropriate word.

Went to a used media shop (CDs, DVDs, records, games, etc.) and picked up The Cars Greatest Hits and Belle & Sebastian's The Boy With The Arab Strap.

[quote name='rabbitt']Nine Inch Nails - Sin (Halo Four)

Ghostland Observatory - Robotique Majestic[/quote]

Nice NIN buy -- I've found that if you want some NIN worth listening to, you've really got to go all the way back.

How's the new Ghostland? I thought "delete.delete.i.eat.meat..." was pretty solid. Certain songs stand out, but overall, it's a decent album. I was getting a cool DFA1979-like vibe while listening to it.

"Paparazzi Lightning", however, is complete garbage. I was so shocked at the complete 180-degree turnaround that I haven't even bothered with the new record.

[quote name='siderealshift']Nice NIN buy -- I've found that if you want some NIN worth listening to, you've really got to go all the way back.

How's the new Ghostland? I thought "delete.delete.i.eat.meat..." was pretty solid. Certain songs stand out, but overall, it's a decent album. I was getting a cool DFA1979-like vibe while listening to it.

"Paparazzi Lightning", however, is complete garbage. I was so shocked at the complete 180-degree turnaround that I haven't even bothered with the new record.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Sin is great. The cover of Get Down Make Love made me grab it when I saw it.

Robotique Majestic was $2.50 used at the Exchange, so I couldn't pass it up. I've never listened to delete.delete.i.eat.meat... but I thought Paparazzi Lightning was a good first listen, though a bit repetitive.

bread's done
Back