What was the last CD you bought? - The Sequel

The Smiths - Unreleased Demos & Instrumentals (unofficial release)

(stock pic)
normal_smithsdemos.jpg

Holy shit, "new" Smiths songs.
For real.

Sitar backing? Whistle solos? Lost lyrics? All here.

Tracklist for the fans:
01. The Hand That Rocks The Cradle (John Porter monitor mix)
02. Reel Around The Fountain (final Troy Tate album version)
03. Rusholme Ruffians (Electric version July 84)
04. The Queen Is Dead (full version)
05. Sheila Take A Bow (Porter version January 1987)
06. This Night Has Opened My Eyes (studio version June 84)
07. I Misses You (instrumental)
08. Ask (pre-remix version)
09. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out (take 1)
10. Is It Really So Strange (June 86 'single' version)
11. Frankly Mr Shankly (Trumpet version november 85)
12. Shoplifters Of The World Unite (instrumental)
13. Girlfriend In A Coma (monitor mix)
14. Death Of A Disco Dancer (monitor mix)
15. Paint A Vulgar Picture (monitor mix March 87)
16. Heavy Track (instrumental)

[quote name='bmachine']Santa brought me Depeche Mode's "Tour of the Universe" CD/DVD set for Xmas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrg7EPdfNOk[/QUOTE]

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCEEEE. :applause:

[quote name='2DMention']Nitzer Ebb - Industrial Complex.

Pretty good album so far. Who would think we would hear from them in 2010?[/QUOTE]

Indeed. Nitzer Ebb are legends.

[quote name='dallow']The Smiths - Unreleased Demos & Instrumentals (unofficial release)
[/QUOTE]
I've been listening to this this week. I really like the Death of a Disco Dancer demo, and it's nice to finally hear all the lyrics to Paint a Vulgar Picture.

[quote name='pete5883']I've been listening to this this week. I really like the Death of a Disco Dancer demo, and it's nice to finally hear all the lyrics to Paint a Vulgar Picture.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, some of it is quite a revelation.

Though the Frankly Mr. Shankly and Paint a Vulgar Picture tracks leaked a few months ago. I think those were the only slightly 'non new' ones.
When I first heard that whole missing stanza in Paint I just said "Ohhhhhhhhh!" aloud! :D

Dio: At Donington UK: Live 1983 and 1987

Great live stuff. I love the fact that there's some Rainbow stuff on here.

Think of any of your Top 5 favorite bands. Imagine if one of them released a numbered 3000-print run Christmas CD. Now imagine that they also offered (for a price) a bonus track where the singer mentioned you in one of the lines of the song. That's what I bought last month.

[quote name='bluedotlounge']Think of any of your Top 5 favorite bands. Imagine if one of them released a numbered 3000-print run Christmas CD. Now imagine that they also offered (for a price) a bonus track where the singer mentioned you in one of the lines of the song. That's what I bought last month.[/QUOTE]

WOAH, which band/CD was it?

...To contribute, the last CD that I got (QUITE awhile ago), was Toxicity by System of a Down.

Grabbed a bunch of recent Synthpop albums that I had missed, plus a few other odds and ends:

Code 64 - Trialogue [Deluxe Edition]
Defence Mechanism - Invasion of the Robotbrains from Planet Zero
Method Cell - Curse of a Modern Age
Pet Shop Boys - Pandemonium [Live at the O2 Arena]
Rusko - OMG!
Slave Republic - Electric One
TourdeForce - We're Not Underground
Two Door Cinema Club - Tourist History

Also, I can't imagine that any band I like would actually put out a Christmas CD.

[quote name='ThatAwesome1']WOAH, which band/CD was it?

...To contribute, the last CD that I got (QUITE awhile ago), was Toxicity by System of a Down.[/QUOTE]

It's an alternative (occasionally synth) pop band called Saint Etienne. They were essential listening if you were into British music in the 90's. A good example of their sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC9_l-u7qho

Here's a review of that x-mas CD http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/zcd3 although the audio clips do not include the dedicated song. It looks like quite a few other fans also purchased that special song. I'm sure the singer sang the full version just once and they just swapped in the dedication lyric for each fan. It was worth the $230+ I paid for since I've followed the band from the start (1990) and they plan to call it quits after their next album.

BTW, the dedicated lyric in the song was "I think I'll bake/My dear friend Miguel a cake/And hope it doesn't get squashed on the way to California"

[quote name='Blackout']Dio: At Donington UK: Live 1983 and 1987

Great live stuff. I love the fact that there's some Rainbow stuff on here.[/QUOTE]

Nice, do you have the set lists?

RHCP- Californication

One of the least filler Chili albums (I Like Dirt is the only number I skip religiously)
The compression is bad and I'm shocked that the members were okay with it. Oh well, one more Frusciante era album for me to pick up even though I've listened to it many times (By the Way)

[quote name='bluedotlounge']It's an alternative (occasionally synth) pop band called Saint Etienne. They were essential listening if you were into British music in the 90's. A good example of their sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC9_l-u7qho

Here's a review of that x-mas CD http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/zcd3 although the audio clips do not include the dedicated song. It looks like quite a few other fans also purchased that special song. I'm sure the singer sang the full version just once and they just swapped in the dedication lyric for each fan. It was worth the $230+ I paid for since I've followed the band from the start (1990) and they plan to call it quits after their next album.

BTW, the dedicated lyric in the song was "I think I'll bake/My dear friend Miguel a cake/And hope it doesn't get squashed on the way to California"[/QUOTE]Whoa dude.
Why didn't you mention the group when you made the first post.

I was sure it was some shitty indie local band of no importance. :lol:

But wow, Saint Etienne?! :applause:

Some of my recent albums & music-oriented Christmas gifts.

Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster
Bob Marley - Legend
Bob Marley - Songs Of Freedom Box Set
Nirvana - With The Lights Out Box Set W/ DVD
Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation

My To Live A Lie order came in today:

Backslider - s/t 7"
Get Destroyed! - Burnt Offerings 7"
Godstomper / Dos Amigos - split 7"
Sex Prisoner - s/t 7"
Sic Sensation / Stripmines / Devour / Coke Bust - split tape
Sick/Tired - Highlife LP
Thieves - Positive Vibrations 7"
XBRAINIAX - Deprogrammed CD+
Low Threat Profile - s/t 7"
Godstomper / Hewhocorrupts - split CD
Magrudergrind - Crusher CD
Capitalist Casualties / Man Is The Bastard - split LP

Now I just need a tape player and my record player working.

Some recent pick-ups...

CDshhl.jpg

Thom Yorke - Harrowdown Hill
Sufjan Stevens - The BQE

NZDsgl.jpg

Got all these 7"s for $.99 each.
The Dirtbombs/ADULT. - Lost Love/Pray For Pills
The Decemberists - January Hymn/Row Jimmy
Ha Ha Tonka - Walking On The Devil's Backbone/12-Inch 3-Speed Oscillating Fan
The Cure - Hot Hot Hot!!!/Why Can't I Be You
Maximum Balloon - Tiger/Quantum Exit
Let's Wrestle/The Love Language - I'm So Lazy/Brittany's Back
Deerhunter - Revival/Primative 3D

M8vJTl.jpg

Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me[/QUOTE]

NIN-downward spril + preatty hate machine (reissues)(vinyl)
Brite futres- Glittering Pleasur (vinyl)
White stripes-White blood cell(vinyl)

dKHU4l.jpg

Beach House - Devotion (2xLP)
No Age - Glitter (12" single)
No Age - Losing Feeling EP (12")
Sigur Rós - með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust (2xLP)
Human Highway - Moody Motorcycle (LP)

X4jnBl.jpg

The Long Winters - When I Pretend To Fall (2xLP)
Cotton Jones - Tall Hours In The Glowstream (LP)
Yo La Tengo - Popular Songs (2xLP)
Modest Mouse - A Life of Arctic Sounds (Clear 7" single)

[quote name='bmachine']Decemberists - The King is Dead
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine [2010 Remastered on Vinyl]
White Lies - Ritual[/QUOTE]

I picked up the Decemberists album as well. It's very good. I also picked up Metric - Fantasies. I picked up most of the songs from that on itunes but got a hard copy. One of my favorites from last year.

The Arcade Fire-Neon Bible
The Arcade Fire- The Suburbs

Had been meaning to get these for a while, especially the first, as I love their first album.

Also bought them as mp3 downloads from Amazon. First time I've bought a digital album instead of CDs.

They were cheaper and I need to get away from buying CDs as I just rip them and never listen to them in the car sometimes. My CD rack is almost full and I don't really have room to add another. And just silly given how seldom I play a CD outside of the car, and given that my car has an aux input.

[quote name='2DMention']deadmau5 - 4X4=12

I haven't bought an purely electronic album in years.[/QUOTE]

I hope you bought that last week, it was on sale at Best Buy for $6.99. Great album.

END: The DJ - Fires on the Shore [EP]
Freezepop - Imaginary Friends
tigersapien. - Clean Lines

[quote name='Hoffy']Metric - Fantasies[/QUOTE]

I loves me some Metric. If you don't have them already, they've got 2 other great albums that are worth getting, as well.

[quote name='2DMention']{Kinetik Banner in your sig}[/QUOTE]

Are you going to Kinetik? I'll be there! This year's lineup is insanely good.

[quote name='bmachine']

I loves me some Metric. If you don't have them already, they've got 2 other great albums that are worth getting, as well.
[/QUOTE]

I will check them out for sure! I didn't pick it up in CD form (if it's even available) but a little while ago Metric released an acoustic 6 track set called Plug In, Plug Out EP on iTunes which has a few songs from different albums (including Fantasies). It's one thing to sound good acoustic, it's another to reinvent your songs and have them sound just as good as the original.

[quote name='Hoffy']I will check them out for sure! I didn't pick it up in CD form (if it's even available) but a little while ago Metric released an acoustic 6 track set called Plug In, Plug Out EP on iTunes which has a few songs from different albums (including Fantasies). It's one thing to sound good acoustic, it's another to reinvent your songs and have them sound just as good as the original.[/QUOTE]

Ah, that's pretty cool...I didn't know about that, actually. I don't use iTunes but I'm sure I can track it down elsewhere. Thanks!

Kid Cudi- Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager
Kanye West- My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Haven't purchased anything in 2011 yet, but next up is Dance Gavin Dance- Downtown Battle Mountain 2 :)

Aphex Twin - Analogue Bubblebath
Aphex Twin - Analogue Bubblebath 4
Aphex Twin - Windowlicker
Metallica - Live At Grimey's
Megadeth - Live Trax (Import)
Jimi Hendrix - Live At Woodstock
Nirvana - From The Muddy Banks of the Wishkah
Rage Against the Machine - Battle of Los Angeles

Seeing Bioshocked post all those vinyls made me want to start collecting vinyls and buy a turntable. Haven't bought a turntable yet but I've already started buying vinyls:

High On Fire - Surrounded By Thieves, 2LP (Red)
Primus - Sailing The Seas Of Cheese
Torche - Self Titled Reissue
Torche - In Return, 10"
ISIS - Panopticon, 2LP
Mastodon - Lifesblood, 2LP 7"

Since I still need a turntable and speakers and I'm very new to this, any recommendations?

[quote name='tcrash247']Seeing Bioshocked post all those vinyls made me want to start collecting vinyls and buy a turntable. Haven't bought a turntable yet but I've already started buying vinyls:

High On Fire - Surrounded By Thieves, 2LP (Red)
Primus - Sailing The Seas Of Cheese
Torche - Self Titled Reissue
Torche - In Return, 10"
ISIS - Panopticon, 2LP
Mastodon - Lifesblood, 2LP 7"

Since I still need a turntable and speakers and I'm very new to this, any recommendations?[/QUOTE]

This is what I have. I hooked it up to my home theater system. It is really great for the money.

Porcupine Tree- Signify

It is the copy with their 95-96 demos. I have never heard any of these songs so I hope it's up to the quality of the albums that followed.

bread's done
Back