What's in the PS Store (5/31/16): Neon Chrome, Oxenfree, Primal, There Came an Echo, Plague Inc, & More!

i wish they would speed things up a bit and each deeper into their archives because theres alot of game i still want to by from the ps1 era. man id love to get the megaman legends games. and on top of that they need to drop the prices on a number of their psp games they have up for dl. powerstone is 19.99 on psn but you can get it used for like 6.99.

I picked up DeathSpank and played it for a couple hours. I'm really digging it so far. If you like Diablo/Torchlight-style gameplay (hack and slash, loot, etc) and Monkey Island-style humor, I think you'll enjoy it too. Of course, there's a demo, so might as well try it out.

deathspank is awesome... the best thing i got on psn for awhile. while 15 is pretty steep for a psn title it was still worth it. when it hits 10 that should be the sweet spot. :)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
Videos
Grandia PSone Classic Trailer
[/QUOTE]

I see Grandia (shocked they took the time to put a trailer up) is incoming, hopefully (as I've said in the past) that with PSN+ they start bringing some of the bigger named games to PSN, in Sept. the Dreamcast stuff is launching, and if the rumor you saw was true then CTR should be on the way as well.

I might have to put the PS3 online this week (been disconnected for a few weeks while I was finishing up Just Cause 2) to grab that DeathSpank demo and see if it's worth a bother.

[quote name='mykevermin']Grandia's been out for a few months, actually.[/QUOTE]

:oops: Boy, do I feel stupid... :lol: :booty:

Then I'm not going to ask the obvious why they are pimping a game that is already out...:whistle2:#

(Also it says a lot of how much I don't pay attention to the US stores catalog of PS1 games, since I didn't even know this was one of them...or had forgotten it was one, which is worse)

Sigh....maybe someday we'll get something worthwhile, anyone know when those JPN import ones (from the company formed by the ex-Hudson guy) are going to drop?

blur demo is a lot of fun! highly recommend those who don't know the game to give it a try, it might make you want to buy the game like it made me :]

If Motor Toon Grand Prix comes out Tuesday instead of Crash Team Racing I will not be pleased. Yes it was made by Kazunori who now runs Polyphony, but I rather have Gran Turismo 1 or 2 on the store rather than that.

Where is my Crash Team Racing Sony?!

Update is up, and yes. Its Motor Toon Gran Prix as the PSone Classic. What the fuck. Its not even playable on PSP.

[quote name='FroMann']Update is up, and yes. Its Motor Toon Gran Prix as the PSone Classic. What the fuck. Its not even playable on PSP.[/QUOTE]

Motor Toon Gran Prix was an awesome game back in the day. I just hope it's held up somewhat. I'll probably pick it up.

The not playable on PSP part is confusing. WTF Sony?

at least echocrome was on discount been wanting to buy that for a while. overall though this week plus offerings kinda suck. btw has anyone been able to find that us military dynamic theme anywhere?

Deals
Peggle - Free Peggle Nights DLC with Purchase - Temporary Sale
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - $7.49 - Temporary Sale
Afterburner Climax - $4.99 - Temporary Sale
TV Show King - $4.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Obscure: The Aftermath - PSP - $14.99 - Permanent Price Drop
The Sims 2 - PSP - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded - PSP - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Capcom Classics Collection Remixed - PSP - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Darkstalkers Chronicles: Chaos Towers - PSP - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Burnout Legends - PSP - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Medal of Honor: Heroes - PSP - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Need for Speed: Most Wanted - PSP - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Myst - PSP - $14.99 - Temporary Sale
Field Commander - PSP - $9.99 - Temporary Sale

Pulse
Pulse - 7/20 Edition - Free

Games
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playground - Episode 4: Beyond The Alley Of The Doll - Season Subscribers Only

PS1 Classics
Motor Toon Grand Prix - $5.99 - 251 MB - PS3 only

Add-ons
ModNation Racers - Cowboy Mod - $0.99
ModNation Racers - Cowboy Kart - $0.99
ModNation Racers - Cowboy Mod and Kart - $1.75
LittleBigPlanet - Marvel: Thor - $1.99
LittleBigPlanet - Marvel: Spiderman - $1.99
LittleBigPlanet - Marvel: Elektra - $1.99
LittleBigPlanet - Marvel: Ghost Rider - $1.99
LittleBigPlanet - Marvel: Human Torch - $1.99
LittleBigPlanet - Marvel Costume Pack 2 - $5.99
Just Cause 2 - Agency Hovercraft - $0.99
Trinity Universe - Godly Weapon Pack - $1.99
Trinity Universe - High Ability Pack - $0.99
Trinity Universe - Super Treasure Pack 3 - Free
Guitar Hero 5 - Disturbed Track Pack - $5.49 - Includes the three songs below
Guitar Hero 5 - "Down With The Sickness" by Disturbed - $1.99
Guitar Hero 5 - "Indestructible" by Disturbed - $1.99
Guitar Hero 5 - "Stricken" by Disturbed - $1.99
Rock Band - The Stooges Pack 1 - $5.49 - Includes the three songs below
Rock Band - "1969" by The Stooges - $1.99
Rock Band - "I Wanna Be Your Dog" by The Stooges - $1.99
Rock Band - "No Fun" by The Stooges - $1.99
Rock Band - "New Dark Ages" by Bad Religion - $1.99
Rock Band - "No Control" by Bad Religion - $1.99
Rock Band - "50,000 Unstoppable Watts" by Clutch - $1.99
Rock Band - "Approach The Podium" by Gandhi - $1.99
Rock Band - "How We Roll" by Plushgun - $1.99
Rock Band - "Indigo Friends" by Reverend Horton Heat - $1.99
Rock Band - "Stand For Something" by Skindred - $0.99

Videos
Mafia II Developer Diary #1
Mafia II Developer Diary #2
Spec Ops: The Line E3 Trailer
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions E3 Trailer
Blue Toad Murder Files Teaser Trailer #1
Blue Toad Murder Files Teaser Trailer #2
Red Dead Redemption Outlaws To The End Co-Op Trailer
Nier Digital Comic Book Part 1
Fat Princess: Fat Roles Trailer

Themes
U.S. Air Force - Dynamic

Premium Themes
Trinity Universe 5 - $1.99
Trinity Universe 6 - $1.99
Trinity Universe 7 - $1.99
Trinity Universe 8 - $1.99
Batman Under the Red Hood - $1.99
Hot Tub Hotties - $1.99
Hot Tub Hotties PSP - $1.99
Nordic Warrior - $1.49
Nordic Warrior PSP - $1.49
M4 - $2.99 - Dynamic
Abstract 2 - $1.99
Abstract PSP 3 - $1.49
Abstract PSP 3 - $1.49
MP5 - $1.99
MP5 PSP 1 - $1.49
MP5 PSP 2 - $1.49

Wallpaper
Fat Princess

Street Fighter III: Third Strike (4) - $0.49 each
Super Street Fighter IV (3) - $0.49 each
Flower (2) - $0.49 each
Fat Princess (5) - $0.49 each
Fat Princess Bundle - $1.49
Crash Commando (4) - $0.49 each
Crash Commando Bundle - $1.25

PSP Games
Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4 - $29.99 - 1.18 GB
Gravity Crash Portable - $9.99 - 47 MB

PSP Minis
Young Thor - $4.99 - 54 MB
Fly Flu - $3.49 - 20 MB
Archibald's Adventure - $3.99 - 23 MB

PSP Add-ons
LittleBigPlanet - Fruit Salad Costume - Free
LittleBigPlanet - Fruit Salad Pack - $2.99
----------------------------------------------
PlayStation Plus

Deals
echochrome - $5.00
Resistance 2 - Skin Bundle - $2.00
Hamsterball - $7.99

Demos
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days

Themes
Bloody Escape

Heavy Rain

There also seems to be a free SD rental for Godzilla 2000 in the store. It's one of the banner images on the game store that will take you to the Comic Con section where you can then download the movie. It's a 14 day rental where you have 24 hours to watch it as much as you can once you start the movie.

I'll join the crowd with the torches ready to burn down Sony headquarters: 'Wtf Sony?
Now you're releasing Psone classics that are not playable on the psp.'
It just doesn't make sense. Release garbage titles, and on top of that some that are not even playable on the psp...Arrrggh!

Why isn't Earthworm Jim out yet? It's been over a month since it released on 360. I thought they said it was releasing sometime in July. Is it coming out next week?

Suikoden 1&2 PSP is only ¥1800 on the JPN Store.

Also about a dozen PSOne Classics released last week, though the only one that sticks out in my mind was Shin Megami Tensei (at ¥1000).

[quote name='lukewin']Not in the update blog, but the Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 DLC is back up again[/QUOTE]

Finally!

Some decent PSP game sales in the store today. Both the Capcom Classics compilations are pretty good if you like old arcade games.

EDIT - Oh and a big fuck you to the newest PSOne "Classic". We get this instead of Crash Team Racing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UwoTGtXnCQ&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh. Okay, well that's at least a bit less of a dick-slap. I just looked up Motor Toon Grand Prix on Youtube and posted the funniest/most infuriating video I found. I didn't realize the series had skipped some entries in the US.

I doubt anyone would be able to answer this, but the multiplayer in Motor Toon Gran Prix was system link only on the PS1. What's the case here? I'd seriously like to know!

Everyone complaining about Motor Toon Grand Prix... have you ever actually played the game? It was a quality game and if it wasn't successful we may have never seen Gran Turismo. Kazunori also learned a lot by making it before GT. All the hate doesn't make sense. I still remember seeing Motor Toon the first time in Next Generation, it was ahead of its time.

Is Afterburner Climax worth picking up for $5?

[quote name='J7.']Everyone complaining about Motor Toon Grand Prix... have you ever actually played the game? It was a quality game and if it wasn't successful we may have never seen Gran Turismo. Kazunori also learned a lot by making it before GT. All the hate doesn't make sense. I still remember seeing Motor Toon the first time in Next Generation, it was ahead of its time.

Is Afterburner Climax worth picking up for $5?[/QUOTE]

For once I agree with J7. Motor Toon Grand Prix was one of the best games back in the day.

If you're a fan of Afterburner at all, I recommend AB Climax completely. It's short, but worth $5.

From what I've read, it might have been good for the day (96/97). CTR benefited from a matured Naughty Dog engine that kicks the crap out of it in terms of PS1 kart racers and has actual multiplayer that would be useful for PS3 owners.

i think what people are mad about is he act that there are alot of great ps1 games we all want to see released on psn but instead of releasing something like tenchu , megaman legends, parasite eve or tekken 3 they keep releasing obscure random shit alot of people arent excited for or interested in.

they keep sitting on their pile of digital gold tossing us pennies.

Nobody's denying that, but you'd need Capcom, Namco, Square, and others to want to put those games on PSN and they don't seem to give shit about it anymore. We can tell what is on the waiting list for PSN with the ESRB and none of those are on there. The only two games that could qualify as the two classics that they would be hinting at were Crash Team Racing and Motor Toon Grand Prix, which we got the latter.

[quote name='J7.']Everyone complaining about Motor Toon Grand Prix... have you ever actually played the game? It was a quality game and if it wasn't successful we may have never seen Gran Turismo. Kazunori also learned a lot by making it before GT. All the hate doesn't make sense. I still remember seeing Motor Toon the first time in Next Generation, it was ahead of its time.

Is Afterburner Climax worth picking up for $5?[/QUOTE]

I never played it, but I watched the Youtube video that Frisky provided and I was seriously underwhelmed by it. The two things that stand out are the overuse of "FIREBALL" and the deformation of the cars when turning, I know it's suppose to be toon-ish, but it looked really weird...(more below)

As for your other question, depends how much you like Afterburner, if you have fond memories of an arcade shooter jet plane game then I don't see why not, but note it's a short game, they have a trailer for it on PSN if you want to see gameplay.

Edit: Here's the CAG thread for more impressions and advice as to buy or not to buy. ;)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267842

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']From what I've read, it might have been good for the day (96/97). CTR benefited from a matured Naughty Dog engine that kicks the crap out of it in terms of PS1 kart racers and has actual multiplayer that would be useful for PS3 owners.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, I don't like Kart racers that much, but I LOVE CTR (and I don't own one Crash PS1 title) even more than the Mario Kart games, and I played that game for weeks on end until I opened everything worthwhile when I got it back in 1999-2000, I didn't even play MK: Double Dash to that extent because I tired of it.

So while I see the historical significance of MTGP, I still don't think it's the better of the two games.

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days Demo is actually up on EU PSN if anyone was interested that isn't a PLUS member. Downloading it as we speak.

[quote name='LXL_Guy']Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days Demo is actually up on EU PSN if anyone was interested that isn't a PLUS member. Downloading it as we speak.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. :D

Edit: Just got done checking out the PSN stores (US, JPN, HK, UK) I see that in the past 2 weeks we've gotten what 3-4 new PS1 games and JPN got like 8-10.

But more than that, I see SMT 1 (mentioned by mykevermin a page or two ago) for 1000 yen (about $10-11 USD). Ok, not great, but not bad, so what's the issue. Well the fact that Atlus is price gouging a game that is only 60MB to d/l!!! That's insane. I don't care how rare or popular something is, especially when it's so small.

A 2-4 disc game I can see, but not something like this.

Oh and also to add what he mentioned, Front Mission 3 and Dew Prism (aka Threads of Fate) are also on the JPN store as well, and I think it was the HK store is running a special on R-Type and R-Type Delta for like 60HK a piece (don't quote me on that) but it's cheaper than the regular prices on PS1 titles.

[quote name='uncle5555']I never played it, but I watched the Youtube video that Frisky provided and I was seriously underwhelmed by it. The two things that stand out are the overuse of "FIREBALL" and the deformation of the cars when turning, I know it's suppose to be toon-ish, but it looked really weird.
[/QUOTE]

The "FIREBALL" thing is a warning when an enemy is about to use that weapon. In some of the higher difficulties, the AI gets the ability to use items (only 2 kinds though). One is the fireball, and it gets it a lot. Luckily, it doesn't home too well, so it isn't cheap.

P.S. No one answered my question on how the multiplayer in the PSN version of the game works...

[quote name='uncle5555']Thanks for the info. :D

Edit: Just got done checking out the PSN stores (US, JPN, HK, UK) I see that in the past 2 weeks we've gotten what 3-4 new PS1 games and JPN got like 8-10.

But more than that, I see SMT 1 (mentioned by mykevermin a page or two ago) for 1000 yen (about $10-11 USD). Ok, not great, but not bad, so what's the issue. Well the fact that Atlus is price gouging a game that is only 60MB to d/l!!! That's insane. I don't care how rare or popular something is, especially when it's so small.

A 2-4 disc game I can see, but not something like this.

Oh and also to add what he mentioned, Front Mission 3 and Dew Prism (aka Threads of Fate) are also on the JPN store as well, and I think it was the HK store is running a special on R-Type and R-Type Delta for like 60HK a piece (don't quote me on that) but it's cheaper than the regular prices on PS1 titles.[/QUOTE]

They also added three PC Engine games this week:
Blazing Lazers
Neutopia II
Salamander a/k/a Life Force

I've seen people talk highly of PC Engine and NEO GEO games coming to the US PS Store. Let me temper that for a moment:
1) Even in Japan, where they have around 300 PSOne Classics, they have about 24 PC Engine games and 0 NEO GEO games.
2) The US PSOne Classics collection is a smattering of a small handful of excellent games, a giant chasm of neglect in games that are available in other regions that we haven't seen here, and a big boatload of bullshit titles. Do you think they're really going to handle PCE/NG titles well? Based on what evidence?

As for Shin Megami Tensei's price, ¥1000 startled me, too. But it's not the highest priced PSOne Classic, as Final Fantasy Tactics is the same price, and FF VII/VIII/IX are ¥1500 a piece.

bread's done
Back