What's your nationality?

Well, I was born in the U.S. and am a first-generation "American", but identify myself as Japanese.

Last edited by a moderator:
irish_flag.jpg

+

american-flag.gif

= Me

Nationality - American

Ethnicity - I've got at least some English and German, maybe some Scottish or some shit. Some Native American in there somewhere too, on my mom's side at least.

Nationality = America

Ethnicity = pure German

[quote name='Squall835']People seem to constantly make this mistake. I especially love it when people say, "I'm from Germany!", when they were born and raised in the United States.[/quote]

So you're not a fan of black people calling themselves African-American I take it?

[quote name='Maklershed']So you're not a fan of black people calling themselves African-American I take it?[/quote]
Have they even been to Africa?

Yeah, as it's been stated nationality and ethnicity aren't the same thing. It kind of annoys me when people ask me this since I feel as American as anyone else in America. It can also get pretty tricky when you find people claiming they're part South African, when they actually just happen to have parents from South Africa that are of English descent. I guess they could have some South African influence, but it shouldn't be confused with ethnicity.

So I will answer the thread correctly, American!

Nationality - American (Shocked at the amount of people that don't know the definition of that word)
Ethnicity - Italian, Black, Native American, English.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Nationality - American (Shocked at the amount of people that don't know the definition of that word)[/quote]

Preach it.

:roll: If we're going to be pedantic about it, it's still technically incorrect for anyone living in the US to refer to themselves as 'American' anyway (though it's the commonly accepted nomenclature designation for a citizen of the United States). Think about it. Mexicans can technically be referred as 'Americans'; ditto for Canadians, Panamanians, Chileans, Brazilians, and anyone else who is a citizen of any of those countries existing on North/Central/South America.

Anyway, I'm a naturalized citizen of the US and a filipino by ethnicity.

[quote name='Mojimbo']What would the technically correct term be, jaykrue?[/quote]

There really isn't one and as I mentioned in the other post, when you say you're an 'American', it's generally accepted that you mean that you're from the USA anyway. Though my European friends like to mess w/ me and call me an USian (pronounced 'yoosee-ann' or 'ooosee-ann'). I never call myself an American but rather refer to myself as a US citizen... though it sounds awkward so maybe USian isn't so bad after all. :lol:

[quote name='jaykrue']:roll: If we're going to be pedantic about it, it's still technically incorrect for anyone living in the US to refer to themselves as 'American' anyway (though it's the commonly accepted nomenclature designation for a citizen of the United States). Think about it. Mexicans can technically be referred as 'Americans'; ditto for Canadians, Panamanians, Chileans, Brazilians, and anyone else who is a citizen of any of those countries existing on North/Central/South America.

Anyway, I'm a naturalized citizen of the US and a filipino by ethnicity.[/quote]

Your technicality is false. There is no nation of North America, nor Central America, nor South America - just America or USA.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Your technicality is false. There is no nation of North America, nor Central America, nor South America - just America or USA.[/quote]

*sigh* Some people don't read. Read again:

...and anyone else who is a citizen of any of those countries existing on North/Central/South America

I would think that you'd understand that 'countries existing on North/Central/South America' is understood to mean that these are nations that exist on the regions which are designated as North, Central, and South America. If, rather, it is an attempt at witty humor, it fails.

A Mexican, Brazilian, and US citizen are all American in the same sense that a Mongolian, Chinese, and Indian are all Asian.

(edit)Also, I'm a US citizen.

It bothers me when my cousins, who have the same percentage of Italian ancestsry as I do, call themselves Italian. We were raised in moderately Italian-American households, don't speak Italian, and have never been to Italy. Personally I think it's a stretch to call ourselves Italian-American let alone fly the Italian flag.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Filbert']A Mexican, Brazilian, and US citizen are all American in the same sense that a Mongolian, Chinese, and Indian are all Asian.[/quote]

Yes. The first portions (Mexican, Brazilian, US citizen, Mongolian, Chinese, Indian) are all national/ethnic identifiers while the latter (American & Asian) are all continental identifiers and why it is technically incorrect for US citizens to call themselves 'Americans' when they are referring to their national/ethnic identifiers (which would be US citizens).

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']OK, I misconstrued what you were saying jaykrue. Sorry, that last post cleared up what I was confusing myself with. Sorry.[/quote]

It's ok. I spend all day reading contracts as part of my job so I need to be very detail-oriented.

White-Something-American, I have no clue where I originated from, I have the worlds most common last name so I could be from anywhere.

[quote name='Froogin']White-Something-American, I have no clue where I originated from, I have the worlds most common last name so I could be from anywhere.[/quote]

Hmmm...hello smith or is it johnson.:lol::D

bread's done
Back