When did you fall in love with games, and why?

StinkyCheese

CAGiversary!
Just curious.

When I was young, my grandpa died. My family was devastated, and my grandma bought me and my brother a gameboy each- one with anakin skywalker racing, and one with pokemon red. I got red :D

A year or so later, my neighbours gave us their old SNES, and although viciously outdated at the time, it was a godsend

*cries*

My first words besides mom and dad were "Pac-Man"

I'm fucking serious. but that was because we had a Pac-Man board game that I liked to play with, apparently.

After that, Atari 2600 got me hooked. First game I remember being obsessed with is Pitfall 2. I think if you show any 5 or 6 year old a videogame, they'll fall in love instantly.

I was about five and my older brother got an NES and Zelda. That pretty much sealed my love for games right then and there as I loved playing it.

I fell in love with video games at the young age of 4-7, I can't remember exactly when. You'll have to tell my why because I just did. There was an Atari 2600 in the house but all I can remember ever playing was a Frogger-esque game with a chicken so I'll say the NES got me really into it.

When I got the NES in 4th grade. Been kind of off and on from college on though. On again lately as the 360 has sucked me back into gaming probably more than I've been since the PS1/N64 days.

A kid across the street from me had an Atari 2600. Needless to say, we were over there as much as possible. A couple of months later, My brother and I got an Atari 5200. I was hooked.

My parents got me a Nintendo on my 5th birthday, just on a whim. I don't remember much about my childhood, but I do remember Mario Bros being the first time I was hooked on a game. It made me a Nintendo fanboy, even to this day.

Ah, the days spent playing Contra, Mario 2/3 as a child....Then, my SNES days(perhaps my golden age of gaming) in elementary school, the N64 days through middle school and so on. I'm less into games now than I used to be, but I'll never forget the good times.

In elementary school I BEGGED my parents for a Sega Genesis, but instead I got a Super Nintendo and I threw a shit fit until I actually began playing Super Mario World... I suddenly didn't feel so unlucky afterwards and wondered how any Sega survived with just a three button controller at that age.

SNES Super Mario World

took me 3 years to beat it because i was so little and stupid. and when i did, it was a great feeling at the time. hence the addiction began. whores raped. bitches saved from destroyed castles. covenant drilled with my guns. blocks of color destroyed with a fair line set up and now, today, I chainsaw beings to death with a machine gun.

[quote name='strummerbs']Got a Nintendo for Christmas when I was around 7. Played Super Mario Brothers. End of story.[/QUOTE]

Same here! I even think I was the same age. We had an Atari before that and my friend had pong but I was never a videogame junky until the NES.

When I was in elementary I hadn't heard about video games until 3rd grade, Never cared about anything besides my bike/scooter, then all my friends had pokemon for game boy, So I asked my parents for a game boy and yea... My first console was PS1. I'm in high school now btw, junior.

My dad got me everything, and to top it off we had a Amiga and Commodore 64 back in the day.
I'd have to say Quazi Modo (spelling) for the Amiga really got me into games. Online gaming came around Warcraft 2 when I was JaGr in IWL and a bunch of other leagues on Kali. Got me to play that game a average of five hours a day just to stay competitive.

[quote name='AshesofWake']SNES Super Mario World

took me 3 years to beat it because i was so little and stupid. and when i did, it was a great feeling at the time. hence the addiction began. whores raped. bitches saved from destroyed castles. covenant drilled with my guns. blocks of color destroyed with a fair line set up and now, today, I chainsaw beings to death with a machine gun.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

That pretty much sums up how I got hooked on video games. I died so many times on SMW, I literally cry. Good times. :D

My first system was a TurboGrafx 16 when I was like six. Man was that a shitty a console with some shitty games, but it set the hook just fine. Bonk and Keith Courage were early childhood friends for sure...

-To think of all that would follow afterwards.

My father bought me and my brother an original NES with Mario/Duckhunt/Track.

But what really got me hooked was the original Zelda.

When I was eight years old. A few days after Christmas my family and I got back home as we went to unwrap the rest of the presents under the tree. I found a original Playstation with a bunch of shitty games but one of my top 10 favorite games of all time to this day.

Crash Bandicoot 2 - Cortex Strikes Back

I still have my original copy to this day. Too bad crash sucks now since it is not made by Naughty Dog. I have been gaming for about 8 years now.

For me it was with my Dad's Sears Telegames Pong system when I was about 3 or 4. From there we went on to the Atari in the early 80's and the rest is history.

Fell in love when I was a little kid and my family got an NES and Super Mario Bros. From then on, since I lived out in the country and didn't have any friends that lived around me, video games were all I really had.

i was 2 to 3 years old and my parents took me to the mall for i believe the first time. this was probably before arcades were all over the place so the mall we were at only had maybe 3 or so games set up at odd spotts within the mall ( up against pillars i think) . there was this spiderman game that was by todays standards really crap it had 2 joysticks you used to climb and a button to shoot webs.

you climb up a building avoidng the shit people tossed out of windows and when you got to the top i think the green goblin was there. i only wanted to play because i really liked spiderman due to electric company. long story short they gave me a quarter to play , and then another one, and another and another. after a while we had to go wherever but i didnt want to stop so the had to drag me away from the machine and ive been gaming ever since.

Nintendo Power sent me a copy of Dragon Warrior for my new NES when I was like 9. I was sooooo hooked on that one, plus when I beat the Dragon Lord before my 13-year-old friend and earned his amazement, I was hooked :)

Well, let's see, I got an Atari 2600 when I was 4, with 3 games, Ms Pac Man, Pengo, and Kangeroo (can't believe I remember all those games). My parents believed you should get a gift when my brother was born, so I wouldn't be jealous. I played the heck out of those games, and eventually, games went on sale at Big Lots so we got a pretty good collection.

It wasn't until I was close to 10 until we got an NES (after the SNES was out), and then a couple years after that until we got a Genesis. But, I was over at friends houses long before that playing games. It's the funny thing, outside of my Atari, almost all my early video game memories come at friends houses, so I missed out on the Zelda's and other games that weren't easily played in one sitting. I've since gone back and played those, hard to say how I'd like games differently if I was playing Zelda and Metroid when everyone else was.

I had the atari 2600, commodore game , NES with duckhunt, and an original gameboy.

Then I did not play for a long time. Got interested when my son was old enough to get his gameboy advance sp with new brighter backlight and loved how great it looked. Then I bought a DS, wii and PS3 , and PSP. I love playing so much its been about 2 years since I got back into gaming. I still have my old systems as well.

i was young in the early 90's(4-6) playing twisted metal,donkey kong 64,super mario 64,wwf no mercy, joining this site opened me up to the world of playing not only sport games.

well I always loved playinmg games from a very early age I was playing my NES and my Gameboy and than I would go to my friends and play there Genesis. :) good memories

[quote name='StinkyCheese']Just curious.

When I was young, my grandpa died. My family was devastated, and my grandma bought me and my brother a gameboy each- one with anakin skywalker racing, and one with pokemon red. I got red :D

A year or so later, my neighbours gave us their old SNES, and although viciously outdated at the time, it was a godsend

*cries*[/QUOTE]

I remember when my dad passed away my mom bought be a gameboy, to cheer me up. I didn't realize what it is for back then, I thought I was just being good.

pac man and combat.. the two games that came with the 2600 helped get me hooked.

It was summer of 87 for me. I was 4 years old at the time. I had been in the hospital getting some surgery done on my right arm. While in there, my parents asked if there was one thing that I wanted when I got out, and told them an NES. When I got home, they had one waiting for me. Along with Mario/Duck Hunt, they got me Legend of Zelda. Though it took me a few years to understand it lol

[quote name='VAD3R or Fro']When I was eight years old. A few days after Christmas my family and I got back home as we went to unwrap the rest of the presents under the tree. I found a original Playstation with a bunch of shitty games but one of my top 10 favorite games of all time to this day.

Crash Bandicoot 2 - Cortex Strikes Back

I still have my original copy to this day. Too bad crash sucks now since it is not made by Naughty Dog. I have been gaming for about 8 years now.[/quote]

...who waits until after Christmas to open Christmas Presents?

Early Childhood. My brother had the Sega's and Nintendo's and well when he was sleeping and ready to go to school, i'd play all night and played all morning until he got home. I really need to thank my bro for getting me into the MGS series, hes the one who told me "Man this game is gunna echo thru the ages." Ive held so many diffrent controlers in my hand its not even funny.

Around five back in 89. My uncle bought me a NES with Mario/Duckhunt and said "Don't bother me for a month" He laughed and I was on my way to gaming for life.

I was always into games but it wasn't till I was 11 that I really started to care about reading about them online and in magazines. I cared about the history and culture of games and gamers and other stuff like I do now.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']...who waits until after Christmas to open Christmas Presents?[/quote]
Seems to me like he was out of town around Christmas time, and when they got back from their trip they still had their own presents to open, right?

I don't remember when my dad brought home an NES but it was probably when I was around 6-8 years old. From there it evolved to the SNES when I really got hooked.

I bought at Magnavox Odyssey2 when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade at a garage sale down the street for $18. It came with the system and about 20 games. The minute I started playing I was hooked. Granted it wasnt the greatest system ever, but damn did I love that thing.

At age 3, all i could do was play duck hunt but i got better. If it wasn't for my older brother, pushing to get the newest game systems and games than i could have been doing something productive would have missed out on a lot of fun. i owe him for getting me hooked at an early age, but i would have probably picked up gaming eventually.

bread's done
Back