Where to sell Ex Girlfriend Jewelry? w/ Pawn Shop Story

The Successful Dropout

CAGiversary!
Feedback
101 (100%)
So I'm a dummy and I spoil my bitches. I have jewelry just lying around from 2 long term relationships from years ago.

3 Gold Rings
Gold Bracelet
Gold Necklace Charm
Gold Earrings

If I had to guess, I paid around $1500 for all of that (not including taxes and warranties and all of that crap).

I have a receipt for two of them, but for none of the others. I don't want this crap laying around and I'm damn sure not going to throw it away. I got rid of one bracelet by giving it to my sister (she wanted it and knew it was an exes) and I had another bracelet that was engraved with names and dates. I didn't spend much for that one and figured I'd never find someone who'd buy it with the same names and dates, so I sold it off to brokengold.com. I got like $25 a year ago for it and think I spent about $90 on it 8 years ago.

I went to a pawn shop about a year ago with a ring to see what they'd give me for it just for the hell of it and they said they'd only give me $45 for it without a receipt. I had the receipt for it, just not with me and I paid about $300 for it. Since I wasn't in a dire need of money (I'm still not, just trying to get rid of shit and make extra cash), I didn't go back there until about a month ago. I brought the receipts I had and the rest of the jewelry (listed above). The guys there offered me $120 for all of it even with receipts. They originally wanted me to quote a price that I wanted to sell it all for, but I'm not stupid and let them figure out a price to start off. After they told me $120, I said, "forget it, I paid around $1500 for all of that." They then told me that's why I should've bought my jewelry from them in the first place. Yeah, I'm sure I want some stolen, or used, or old, or just pawned in general crappy jewelry. I know a lot of people buy jewelry from pawn shops, but I never would, it's just gross to not know where shit comes from (I don't even like buying used games).

It's funny, 'cause they seem to have a policy that says to screw them if they don't bring in a receipt and tell them they should've brought it in. If they bring in a receipt, screw them by telling them they should've bought it here in the first place.

I know most people are probably in the hole and looking for money when they're selling shit to a pawn shop, or they're druggies looking for quick cash, or they're trying to sell stolen stuff for whatever they can get for it...but I fall into none of those categories, so I left. I'd honestly rather throw it away then make some shady pawn shop owners day by letting them rob me.

Anyways...I'm just trying to find out if anyone knows where I can get the best deal for this jewelry. I've heard of getting it appraised (don't know where to do so and how much it costs to do so though), I've heard of and tried the brokengold type websites and I've heard of ebaying jewelry (though I don't know how well ebaying would work and I'd first need paperwork through appraisal first I assume). Any help would be appreciated. I know I'm not the only one who has (or had) "ex jewelry" lying around.

[quote name='blackjaw']Give them to the next girlfriend?[/quote]Standard sitcom practice, just make sure the new girl doesn't know it was your ex's.

My girlfriend already knows about it and I couldn't do that anyway :lol:. I don't have too many morals, but I just wouldn't do that. Not to mention the fact that even though I've never dated any fatties (though most have ballooned after the break-ups), my current girlfriend is pretty small compared to anyone else I've ever dated. So the rings and bracelet would have to be resized. By the way, I was going to include all of this in my OP because I knew someone would respond with those suggestions, but I thought my OP was long enough. Thanks though :D.

I know a lot of people buy jewelry from pawn shops, but I never would, it's just gross to not know where shit comes from (I don't even like buying used games).

Yet you wounder why no one will pay alot of money for yours.

Gold prices are hitting all-time highs right now. Check jewelry stores around your area to see if they're buying. A local paper last week had prices quoted at $300/oz for 14K gold, IIRC.

[quote name='Tecka']Yet you wounder why no one will pay alot of money for yours.[/quote]

I also knew that someone would respond with that, that's why I explained myself with how I find it gross to even buy video games used. I'm not sure how to respond to this since I already explained my take on it, yet you still don't get it. Not everyone finds it gross to buy video games used. In fact, I'd say that most people on CAG find it perfectly fine. I very rarely buy used games, unless it's a deal I can't pass up on or a rare game. That said, I always sell my games on ebay after playing them. I can send you a feedback link if you'd like to see how everyone who buys from me is stunned by the brand-new condition of my used games. As the first few responses to this thread have shown, a lot of people also don't find it wrong to give "exes jewelry" to current girlfriends, but I do. I'm different from other people. Also, I don't "wonder why no one will pay a lot of money for" it. I never once said that or implied that. I know I can get a good amount of money for it, I'm just ignorant to where the best and easiest places are. You ever buy a $60 game only to come on CAG to realize you could've got it on sale for $30 somewhere else? That's why I'm using CAG for this, I'd rather find out my best options before regretting it. Then again, I shouldn't expect you to understand my reasoning, since you don't know that "a lot" is two words, let alone know how to spell "wonder."

Plus, I've never dated dirty girls and they've always taken good care of their jewelry (minimal scratches if any) and this stuff definitely isn't stolen. These were among my listed reasons for not buying jewelry from a pawn shop. Not to mention the fact that I'm not an expert on what is real and isn't when it comes to jewelry, I'd rather buy from a known retailer such as Kay's, Zales, etc (which is where I've always bought jewelry from).

[quote name='FrankTheFrowner']Gold prices are hitting all-time highs right now. Check jewelry stores around your area to see if they're buying. A local paper last week had prices quoted at $300/oz for 14K gold, IIRC.[/quote]

I've heard that gold is hitting an all time high, I just don't know who buys. Are these ma and pa jewelry stores? I don't think big chains like Kay's buy jewelry, though I could be completely wrong.

Congratulations on providing the first helpful response. ;)

There isnt a lot more we can do for you.

Either give it to someone else, or ebay it/sell it.

This isn't ethics class, I don't know what else to tell you. Sell it and eat the losses somewhere, or give it to someone else and keep a secret.

Melt them down and make a giant $ necklace? Baaaallin'!

Jewelry store seems to be the place to go. Shop around to get some estimates of current values, see if they'll take them, then maybe ebay as a last resort. I've had an ex sell my college books on ebay/amazon. What a bitch.

[quote name='cdietschrun']There isnt a lot more we can do for you.

Either give it to someone else, or ebay it/sell it.

This isn't ethics class, I don't know what else to tell you. Sell it and eat the losses somewhere, or give it to someone else and keep a secret.[/quote]

Thanks for taking it upon yourself to speak for the community as a whole. Please compare my join date to yours, thanks. Also note that I could care less if this actually was ethics class.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Melt them down and make a giant $ necklace? Baaaallin'!

Jewelry store seems to be the place to go. Shop around to get some estimates of current values, see if they'll take them, then maybe ebay as a last resort. I've had an ex sell my college books on ebay/amazon. What a bitch.[/quote]

If only I knew how to do that lol.

I think I'm gonna have to go that route of trying to find a jewelry store who buys.

Agreed...exes are usually known for being flying bitches.

I used to work at an ebay drop off store, and we handled a lot of jewelry sales. Any jewelry shop can give you an appraisal, normally you can get a quick one for free or very cheap, and a detailed one is more expensive. That will help the resale value of the jewelry significantly, especially if you sell on ebay, because you have something to show them what they are getting other then your word.

That being said, the market for jewelry on ebay is terrible. There is SO much on there at all times, that if you get a bid on it at all it will probably end up going for opening price. We had a few pieces (and this is the general trend) that had the appraisal and everything, and were estimated to be worth $20,000. they were not selling for $3,000, and eventually sold for just under $2,000 after we relisted them 4 times (7 day auctions).

If you want to go the ebay route, you have to figure out a way to make your list stand out from the thousands of others just like it.

My personal recommendation would be to go get the free appraisal from a large chain jewelry store, take a photo of that (blacking out your personal info of course) and a few very good photos of the jewelry itself from all relevant angles, and posting it on craigslist. Will probably take a while, but eventually you will find a buyer :D

[quote name='cdietschrun']LOL, join date.

HOORAY E-PENIS[/quote]
Shut up. Look at my join date. Call me Sir naes for now on.

[quote name='relicbane']I used to work at an ebay drop off store, and we handled a lot of jewelry sales. Any jewelry shop can give you an appraisal, normally you can get a quick one for free or very cheap, and a detailed one is more expensive. That will help the resale value of the jewelry significantly, especially if you sell on ebay, because you have something to show them what they are getting other then your word.

That being said, the market for jewelry on ebay is terrible. There is SO much on there at all times, that if you get a bid on it at all it will probably end up going for opening price. We had a few pieces (and this is the general trend) that had the appraisal and everything, and were estimated to be worth $20,000. they were not selling for $3,000, and eventually sold for just under $2,000 after we relisted them 4 times (7 day auctions).

If you want to go the ebay route, you have to figure out a way to make your list stand out from the thousands of others just like it.

My personal recommendation would be to go get the free appraisal from a large chain jewelry store, take a photo of that (blacking out your personal info of course) and a few very good photos of the jewelry itself from all relevant angles, and posting it on craigslist. Will probably take a while, but eventually you will find a buyer :D[/quote]

Thanks. I don't think I'm going to go the ebay route, specifically because of the reasons you've listed. But the jewelry store appraisal and either selling to a jewelry store or on craig's list seems to be the way to go. Thanks again.

[quote name='cdietschrun']LOL, join date.

HOORAY E-PENIS[/quote]

I'm not trying to show off my join date by any means, I could personally give a shit less. I'm just simply letting you know that I know what I'm doing with my postings. Sometimes 999 people out of 1000 can't help someone out on here with a question/problem, but that 1 out of 1000 can. It wasn't so much that your post didn't help out at all (which it didn't), it was that you figured that means you couldn't help, no one could help...which simply isn't the case.

[quote name='Jeoff']This is the correct answer.[/QUOTE]

Except that almost always comes to bite you in the ass. Especially with social networking sites being what they are now, and the fact that women can be super crazy. If she finds a pic of your ex with the same ring on... good luck. I say just pawn it or find someone in your family who wants to buy it or just give it to them.

We all have things left over from relationships but theres not much you can do. Just be glad its not abunch of shit no one would ever want.

[quote name='karmapolice']Except that almost always comes to bite you in the ass. Especially with social networking sites being what they are now, and the fact that women can be super crazy. If she finds a pic of your ex with the same ring on... good luck. I say just pawn it or find someone in your family who wants to buy it or just give it to them.

We all have things left over from relationships but theres not much you can do. Just be glad its not abunch of shit no one would ever want.[/quote]

Or vice versa and maybe more likely...your current girlfriend would probably be showing off her new jewelry on myspace or facebook, etc...only to have your ex see it and message her, rubbing it in her face that it used to be hers. :wall:

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']I've heard that gold is hitting an all time high, I just don't know who buys. Are these ma and pa jewelry stores? I don't think big chains like Kay's buy jewelry, though I could be completely wrong.

Congratulations on providing the first helpful response. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yes, non-chain local jewelry stores. We have a few nearby and they are trying to outbid each other. I really don't think condition matters all that much, as they're just going to melt it down and make some new stuff out of it.

If they were a nice gf, then I would give it to her even though you guys broke up...just something to make her remember you by...dont be a jerk, thats not directed towards you, but to all in general

I can tell you NOT to sell that gold...

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-cashforgold6-2009feb06,0,7527500.story

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/118748/beware-cash4gold-and-other-gold-buying-ripoffs/

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/02/06/cash4gold-offers-cash-4-reputation-comes-up-2-3-short/

Those commercials are really bad (with exception of super bowl ad which I chuckled at)... that old woman who boasted of selling her jewelry and "taking the vacation of a lifetime" cracks me up each time

[quote name='help1']Melt it into bullets.[/quote]
This.

That or make a golden throwing star. Kill them with luxury...Or miss badly and riddle the walls with luxury!

[quote name='karmapolice']Except that almost always comes to bite you in the ass. Especially with social networking sites being what they are now, and the fact that women can be super crazy. If she finds a pic of your ex with the same ring on... good luck. I say just pawn it or find someone in your family who wants to buy it or just give it to them.

We all have things left over from relationships but theres not much you can do. Just be glad its not abunch of shit no one would ever want.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree to this. Try to avoid any unneccessary drama.

[quote name='JJSP']Shoulda followed Leykis 101.[/quote]

This. Or common sense. I've never spend over $100 for gifts throughout the entire year on all girls combined.

Just start asking jewelry stores if they buy. It's your best bet. Ask the ones you've bought the jewelry from and if you have the receipt from them as well it could potentially be to your benefit.

[quote name='zman73']I can tell you NOT to sell that gold...

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-cashforgold6-2009feb06,0,7527500.story

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/118748/beware-cash4gold-and-other-gold-buying-ripoffs/

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/02/06/cash4gold-offers-cash-4-reputation-comes-up-2-3-short/

Those commercials are really bad (with exception of super bowl ad which I chuckled at)... that old woman who boasted of selling her jewelry and "taking the vacation of a lifetime" cracks me up each time[/quote]
Was it really necessary to bump a thread made in April 08?

This was posted ten months ago. C'mon, people. :/

Also, that guy wasn't the one who bumped it. It was a bot, but the mods have since removed the post.

[quote name='Magehart']This. Or common sense. I've never spend over $100 for gifts throughout the entire year on all girls combined.

[/QUOTE]

CheapAssBoyfriend?

[quote name='naes']Was it really necessary to bump a thread made in April 08?[/QUOTE]Thank you to Darksage... why the fuck would I purposely bump something that was 8 months old (unless I had nothing else to do with my time... my time is percious)... it was just sitting there in the other forum, and with all the crap about cash4gold... thought it would be amusing... I dont spend enough time on the internet or on this site to pay that much attention to when crap was dated...

How'd you get all this jewelry back? My ex took all of hers (necklace, earrings, bracelet) and ran. It was two weeks after I spent about $400 for her birthday too, dumb bitch.

[quote name='blackjaw']Give them to the next girlfriend?[/quote]

My brother took this to the next level....his wife got the engagement ring from the last girlfriend...the one who dumped him the month before the wedding.

TBW

[quote name='ItsTrueItsTrue92']How'd you get all this jewelry back? My ex took all of hers (necklace, earrings, bracelet) and ran. It was two weeks after I spent about $400 for her birthday too, dumb bitch.[/quote]

lol, Pwn'D

melt it down into some gold fronts and then join a gang......that aside you can send it into that mail in gold buying place thats always on tv. unless you stole it from them or something then just go to a pawn shop. btw how did you get it back from them anyway ?

[quote name='ItsTrueItsTrue92']How'd you get all this jewelry back? My ex took all of hers (necklace, earrings, bracelet) and ran. It was two weeks after I spent about $400 for her birthday too, dumb bitch.[/quote]

Don't be too hard on yourself, ace.

This thread just reminded me that my ex-fiancee still has the ear rings and necklace and sports bra I bought her from the last relationship....I wonder if I should give her a call to ask for it back and ruin her v-day with the guy she cheated on me with? :)

Find out how much the jewelry weighs (in troy ounces) and do a calculation based on the purity...then sell it under the "bullion" category on ebay. List the weight of pure gold in the jewelry and you can probably get 80% melt value for it. If it weighs 1 ounce and is 14k, that means you have at least 1/2 oz of 24k .999% pure gold.

(melt value for pure gold is currently $900/oz..so you should easily be able to get around $400 for 1oz of scrap 14k gold)

bread's done
Back