Who here is vegetarian/vegan?

[quote name='Koggit']My roommate is hardcore vegan, no honey, no milk, no eggs, no cheese, no nothing. It's kind of a pain because one of the best perks of having a roommate is food is cheaper to buy in bulk and split the cost. I used to make fun of her for it all the time until I saw this, now I'm slowly cutting back on meat. I only eat white meat now, sparingly, and only if it's organic & free range.[/quote]

*Shakes Fist*

4325859_std.jpg

You know I guess i understand the giving up of meat, dairy, and etc, for health and personal reasons. I understand the organic food, although I'll never eat it, its costs more and has crappy shelf life.

SithFran you gave up leather? People have been wearing it for centuries. What gives? What about the rest of your clothes you wear? I'm just curious.

As for cruelty to animals, life's cruel and animals are tasty. Also I don't know what sort of career some of you have but giving up clothes, beauty products, and other stuff and replacing with "organic/untested/monkey free stuff" can get very expensive and with the way our economy is going I'll use my money on things I need, like gas in my big SUV (j/k about the SUV part)

Also maybe we should just test the products on child molestors.

*End rant and runs to box fort

Next we will have people be giving up video games cause they were manufactured in foreign countries by small children cause its wrong. As long as its cheap and profitable we're going to keep smearing makeup on monkeys and forcing people to work for $1 a day to make clothes. And I'm going to keep buiyng them cause I'm cheap, this is Cheapassgamer, and generally most of like being frugal. I'm sure being a Vegan can get pricey.

But that's my opinion and each of us are entitled to it.

What would possibly be the point of giving up meat? The less you eat, the cheaper it becomes, the more I eat. It's simple really. You're not saving any animals.

Anyway, my favorite argument is when people say they won't drink milk. Do you know how painful it is for a cow to go un-milked? It's freaking devastating to them.

[quote name='Collectordragon']If she's such a militant vegan why was she going out to places that serve meat in the first place?[/QUOTE]

Wait, you people won't even go to a store or restaurant that serves meat?

Wow.

I am respectful of people if the are respectful of me. Once I was eating a burger at a restaurant and this annoying lady next to me kept asking how my "dead cow was" and "some animal died so you could eat it" etc. and I just ignored her, thinking some pop star must have been on TRL that week & said they were a vegetarian.

After I was finished, I ordered a second burger. I told the waitress it was sooooo good I had to eat another.

Oh- and true story, years ago I worked at Burger King. Two girls came in and one bought a Whopper meal, and the other girl whined that it's wrong to eat animals, and she should be a vegetarian too. So Whopper girl switched to a chicken sandwich & vegetarian girl was happy she wasn't eating meat.

I am vegetarian. Don't know what the other stuff means. I drink milk and consume other dairy products. I eat stuff with eggs, but I don't eat eggs directly.

Animals eat other animals. If vegans love animals so much, then why do they show so much disrespect and contempt by refusing to lower themselves to animal standards?

No. Love meat, although it's primarily been chicken recently. I don't like steak or fish. I totally skip the greenery bar at the Mongolian grill.
I've seen more activist/proselytizing vegans/veges than meateaters. The most common reaction I've seen from a meateater to an herbivore is "You really don't eat meat? Really? Not even chicken? Fish? Wow. ....Really?" Which is annoying, but not offensive or "getting on someone's ass" (imho).
I'm sure there's militants on both sides. I could care less (as in, I'm not militant either way). We've had vegans over to our house for parties and such, and have tried to provide food they would eat.
The funny thing is, even among many militants, you've got the levels--the no-beefers, the nothing-with-a-head, the no-living-creatures, the no-cute-animals, etc. Each can be 100% convinced theirs is the only right way.
I personally think there's nothing wrong with eating meat, historically it's how we began--there can be issues with how it's raised, how it's killed, or how it's cooked, of course.

Just like other lifestyles I don't agree with, be it sexual orientation or religion, I've got no problems w/ the vegan/vegetarian lifestyle as long as they're not in my face about it.

[quote name='Haggar']Wait, you people won't even go to a store or restaurant that serves meat?

Wow.

I am respectful of people if the are respectful of me. Once I was eating a burger at a restaurant and this annoying lady next to me kept asking how my "dead cow was" [/QUOTE]

This happened to me once in college and I told the guy, "I don't know yet, your mother's still alive." The guy shut up and left me alone after that and hopefully learned not to offer his opinion when not asked. :lol:

and "some animal died so you could eat it" etc.

This also happened in college too (damn, now that I think about it, there were a lot of militant vegans in my school) but it was one of my friends who had recently become a vegetarian. It was also after the Lion King movie had been out for a bit so most ppl knew what it was. Since it was my friend, I was willing to be a bit more civil and told him, "So? It's just maintaining the circle of life. When I die, I hope that the worms that feed on me will also enjoy their meal." He's since reverted to an omnivorous lifestyle. :bouncy:

[quote name='ananag112']I am vegetarian. Don't know what the other stuff means. I drink milk and consume other dairy products. I eat stuff with eggs, but I don't eat eggs directly.[/QUOTE]

I used to be like this and am usually like this a lot daily; I don't really like any egg products (outside of the occasional scrambled eggs with Tabasco).

personally, I will eat meat on occasion. Usually just poultry or seafood. I try to make meat a side to my food instead of the center piece. I could prob go veg if it wasnt for Sushi though.

While I can respect someone who chooses not to eat meat, I always immediately lose my respect for them when they start talking about their "passionate veganism". Its like "please, shut the F up. I am not in college, I am not an idealist. I do not want to live my life eating Soy Hotdogs". I mean, if God didn't want us eating hot dogs, he wouldn't have made Cow Scrotums and Lips so damned tasty.

Seriously, if you don't want to eat meat, thats great. But Vegans, I find, are annoying. Now mind you, I work with tons of Indian guys..and they are almost all Vegans of one degree or another...but they don't try to ram it down your throat. If you eat chicken, they don't lecture you, they don't look at you evilly, they don't make self-rightous gestures towards you at the table.

Be a Vegan, then shut the F up about it. Nobody wants to hear your tale about why you are a vegan, or a Christian, or a Jihadist.....live your life, and let other people live theirs ;)

In honor of Omnivores, I give you the king of all meats....KIELBASA!
polish_KIELBASA.jpg

Also Deliscious....CORNED BEEF HASH!
241956310_b050c2e738.jpg

Which has vegetables in it.....so even Vegans should love it, along with Martians and whatever they call people from Saturn too.

[quote name='Moxio']...?[/quote]I could kill a cow if I had to. I could beat a pig to death with a shovel. I can outsmart a chicken and catch it. I can't, however, catch a fish, or dive down and grab one, therefore, I refuse to eat them.

Also, fish sticks were the only thing my babysitter ever fed me as a kid, so I have a bad history with them.

I'm not even going to bother calling it ridiculous (which it is), but seriously, you would have less trouble preparing your own beef dinner than fish dinner?

Fishing rod... net... something. Seafood is definitely the easiest to catch/prepare yourself, regardless of whether or not you can swim.

I eat meat, but I've started to try cutting back on it (mostly from beef). I don't really have an ethical problem with eating meat, but it is pretty shitty how the animals are treated on industry farms. I'm more for a good life and a death that's as quick and painless as possible. :p

EDIT:

[quote name='tropicana']i was going be veggie lol but my dad tell me that vegetable salads actually haev animal parts in them that are not list on ingrdient spot (on the can where its lsited). he say its gov conspiracy and i think that if ur gonna eat animals anyway i feel u should c whats told 2 u cus if that aint told imagine what else insnt... also he say pussies (sorry he say that) only eat salad. and i agree i think tho that is mean i guess.[/quote]

God dammit pepsiman, go the fuck away!

I was a vegetarian for several years. Not because I love animals (which I do), but because my mum had a stroke in front of me and I got really weird about my diet.

The problem is, I'm a thin guy to begin with, but once I stopped eating meat, I couldn't keep weight on. I was in my early 20's, 5'10" and maybe 120-5 lbs.

But, I started traveling a lot for work, and it was too hard to live on the road and maintain that lifestyle. The first few times I had a burger again were NOT a pleasant experience.

Besides, I love my rare steak too much.

[quote name='Access_Denied']What would possibly be the point of giving up meat? The less you eat, the cheaper it becomes, the more I eat. It's simple really. You're not saving any animals.

Anyway, my favorite argument is when people say they won't drink milk. Do you know how painful it is for a cow to go un-milked? It's freaking devastating to them.[/QUOTE]

Cows are pumped full of hormones to produce an unnatural volume of milk. Cows also can't produce milk unless they're constantly producing young. Young which then go off to slaughter. Not to mention the milk cows when they have served their prupose are then killed as well. Those are some of the reasons why vegans don't drink milk. There are also health and environmental reasons.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Animals eat other animals. If vegans love animals so much, then why do they show so much disrespect and contempt by refusing to lower themselves to animal standards?[/QUOTE]

You have an ironic username. Did you know that gorillas don't eat meat? Well, they eat the occasional insect but other than that are strictly vegetarian.

Do you vegans want to post some of your alternate protein sources? I'm not vegan but I always seek different forms of protein to add to my diet. I eat a good amount of soy and just recently discovered the greatness of nutritional yeast.

My wife is, vegetarian (lacto-ova). She was born and raised along with her brothers. Since we've been married for the past 3 years my meat consumption has declined drastically. I would never have guessed one day I'd have rice, peas and cheese and call that dinner. The worst part is when I do crave a steak and finally eat some, my body is no longer use to digesting it and it goes through me like rotten Indian food.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Do you vegans want to post some of your alternate protein sources? I'm not vegan but I always seek different forms of protein to add to my diet. I eat a good amount of soy and just recently discovered the greatness of nutritional yeast.[/QUOTE]

Here's a good link for you.

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

If you like protein shakes you should try Vega.

http://www.sequelnaturals.com/vega/products/whole-food-health-optimizer/features-benefits

26g of Broad Spectrum Protein

* 40% of calories from protein, with all essential amino acids in ideal balance
* Alkaline forming, 35% raw protein with enzymes intact
* Protein sourced from hemp, yellow pea, brown rice, flax and chlorella

[quote name='homeland']My wife is, vegetarian (lacto-ova). She was born and raised along with her brothers. Since we've been married for the past 3 years my meat consumption has declined drastically. I would never have guessed one day I'd have rice, peas and cheese and call that dinner. The worst part is when I do crave a steak and finally eat some, my body is no longer use to digesting it and it goes through me like rotten Indian food.[/quote]

My girlfriend is also a vegetarian, I hope my meals don't come to that.

[quote name='HeadRusch']Seriously, if you don't want to eat meat, thats great. But Vegans, I find, are annoying. Now mind you, I work with tons of Indian guys..and they are almost all Vegans of one degree or another...but they don't try to ram it down your throat. If you eat chicken, they don't lecture you, they don't look at you evilly, they don't make self-rightous gestures towards you at the table.
.[/QUOTE]

Your post is blatantly trolling. My topic was just asking about who else on CAG was vegetarian or vegan. I did not attack other people's choices or insult anyone. You said you find vegans annoying but what do you consider your post to be? It's annoying.

If any of you thought that vegetarians/vegans were annoying and trying to shove their views in other people's faces more so than meat-eaters just look at this topic for an example of how that isn't true. It's full of meat-eaters posting annoying messages and trying to shove their views in other people's faces. On the flip-side not a single of the vegetarian posters has acted in that manner.

[quote name='Collectordragon']Your post is blatantly trolling. My topic was just asking about who else on CAG was vegetarian or vegan. I did not attack other people's choices or insult anyone. You said you find vegans annoying but what do you consider your post to be? It's annoying.[/QUOTE]

You cannot argue with the power of Kielbasa. Do not attempt to, you will fail.

But seriously, you opened the door to a discussion of lifestyle choices. I applaud Vegans for doing what they do. I, personally, do not follow that route. I can easily eat a vegetarian meal, they are deliscious. However, I have been in the company of some unfortunate souls who felt that they had the God Given right to tell the rest of us how wrong we were.

I have a fundamental problem with activisim of any sort, because an Activist is usually someone who's brain has shut down to the possibility that they might be wrong. Oh they'll drown you in their rightousness...but try to argue a point with them, and you're just wasting your breath....they're already convinced.

I am not saying you are this person, I am saying that Vegetarianism is a great thing to do, so long as you don't cop that "I'm right and you're not if you eat meat" attitude that, sadly, seems to come along for the ride on alot of people.

But mostly those are people who are Vegans just because they were looking for a cause to align themselves with.

[quote name='Collectordragon']You have an ironic username. Did you know that gorillas don't eat meat? Well, they eat the occasional insect but other than that are strictly vegetarian.[/QUOTE]

From Seaworld.org

Western lowland gorilla (Gorilla gorilla gorilla):

This subspecies consumes parts of at least 97 plant species. About 67% of their diet is fruit, 17% is leaves, seeds and stems and 3% is termites and caterpillars.

Mountain gorilla (Gorilla beringei beringei):

This subspecies consumes parts of at least 142 plant species and only 3 types of fruit (there is hardly any fruit available due to the high altitude. About 86% of their diet is leaves, shoots, and stems, 7% is roots, 3% is flowers, 2% is fruit, and 2% ants, snails, and grubs.

Guess there are always exceptions to every rule.

Now I realize that this is going to sound like a very stupid question but I've heard various answers to it and I am wondering what you guys think. Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

This started from a joke between me and my friends(one of us who is a vegetarian) according to him he doesn't because it contains ingredients derived from animals. So we decided to go around asking some other vegetarians(we were bored and had nothing else to do) and surprisingly one of the answers we got was no because they were shaped like animals...That's probably a bit extreme isn't it?

[quote name='Collectordragon']Those are some of the reasons why vegans don't drink milk. There are also health and environmental reasons.[/quote]

I get that people don't like the way animals are treated so they won't eat them but to say people abstain from milk for health reasons sounds crazy to me (unless they are allergic). Milk is good for you. I keep hearing "health" as a reason for people choosing to be a vegetarian but that just doesn't make sense. Any diet whether it consists of meat/animal products or not can be healthy (or unhealthy). It all depends on the person.

It should be "Good bloody fucking God NO!".

People who don't eat meat because "The animals are treated badly" piss me off. You think the plants are treated any better? Plants are alive, and they like music so they have feeling too.

[quote name='javeryh']I get that people don't like the way animals are treated so they won't eat them but to say people abstain from milk for health reasons sounds crazy to me (unless they are allergic). Milk is good for you. I keep hearing "health" as a reason for people choosing to be a vegetarian but that just doesn't make sense. Any diet whether it consists of meat/animal products or not can be healthy (or unhealthy). It all depends on the person.[/QUOTE]

I think the health reasons are because of the hormones injected into the cows which allow them to produce so much milk is then transferred to your body when you drink it.

2 questions for the vegetarians in here.

1.) Would you eat an animal that died of old age?

and

2.) What would you do if science discovered plants have tiny nerves and feel pain?

[quote name='javeryh']I get that people don't like the way animals are treated so they won't eat them but to say people abstain from milk for health reasons sounds crazy to me (unless they are allergic). Milk is good for you. I keep hearing "health" as a reason for people choosing to be a vegetarian but that just doesn't make sense. Any diet whether it consists of meat/animal products or not can be healthy (or unhealthy). It all depends on the person.[/QUOTE]

Read these articles from physician and nutrition expert John A. McDougall, M.D.

http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/030400pudairyproductsfalsepromises.htm

http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/030500pudairyanddisease.htm

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I think the health reasons are because of the hormones injected into the cows which allow them to produce so much milk is then transferred to your body when you drink it.[/quote]
What about organic milk that doesn't have any hormones? Would people drink it then?

I personally don't drink milk because I am allergic to it and I can't stand the taste.

I personally eat all kinds of meat, but respect those who choose not to. The people I do not respect are those who say something like they are a vegetarian but they eat chicken and fish sometimes. WTF, if you eat chicken and fish sometimes you are not a vegetarian. Either stick to your guns and don't eat any meat or don't claim that you are a vegetarian.

[quote name='seanr1221']2 questions for the vegetarians in here.

1.) Would you eat an animal that died of old age?

and

2.) What would you do if science discovered plants have tiny nerves and feel pain?[/QUOTE]

Looks like I'm vegetarian #9 on the poll :).

As for the questions..
1) I personally wouldn't because I don't really miss the taste of meat and plus, it died of old age so it probably won't taste that great. But I don't see a moral problem there.

2) As long as the plants don't live horrible lives in little cages, I think my conscience would let me eat them.

[quote name='Fragonard']What about organic milk that doesn't have any hormones? Would people drink it then?

I personally don't drink milk because I am allergic to it and I can't stand the taste.

I personally eat all kinds of meat, but respect those who choose not to. The people I do not respect are those who say something like they are a vegetarian but they eat chicken and fish sometimes. WTF, if you eat chicken and fish sometimes you are not a vegetarian. Either stick to your guns and don't eat any meat or don't claim that you are a vegetarian.[/QUOTE]

I drink milk, so personally I would. I think strict vegans may feel that any animal by-product shouldn't be consumed so they wouldn't eat it anyway.

[quote name='Collectordragon']If any of you thought that vegetarians/vegans were annoying and trying to shove their views in other people's faces more so than meat-eaters just look at this topic for an example of how that isn't true. It's full of meat-eaters posting annoying messages and trying to shove their views in other people's faces. On the flip-side not a single of the vegetarian posters has acted in that manner.[/QUOTE]

If you are that afraid of opinions that differ from yours, don't post topics in a public forum. Other than the obvious joke posts, no one is trying to shove a "pro-meat agenda" down your throat.

My earlier post was about stupid people, the fact that they were also vegetarians is a coincidence, I assume.

I wish the Internet was made out of meat.

Reality,
To retort, I hope you're not one of those types of NON-vegans who gets on my ass for NOT eating meat.

I (and this is the consensus amongst vegs) get harassed as soon as a carnivore notices that I skipped the meat. Its sad, but I try not to attract attention unless I am in one of my "I actually research shit, including what I put into my body, and god save you I will intellectually destroy you" moods. I do this all civilized and un-emotional with data. But, then they have the nerve to say I am trying to shove MY beliefs down there throat. This while they made the initial comment. And then again they are not my beliefs but those of medical researchers published in JAMA and NEJM, ecologists, etc. I guess their "beliefs" are on par with those of Joe Public who would rather watch American Idol instead of read about the garbage that passes as food that might just actually be the cause of his ailments.

So, off my soapbox, I hope you aren't the one who harasses those from eating different than the majority.

Oh yeah, veg for 11 years vegan for 9 and gamer for MUCH longer.

Best,
Joeboo

Nice I'm the only lacto-vegetarian so far. Been one my whole life so 20 years so far I suppose. To reference someone's conversation posted before, I always mind my own business but get nagged to death by other people for "Why" I choose not to eat meat. Eck.

I never eat beef or pork unless I'm at a dinner that is serving it. When I'm feeding myself, I'll only eat fish or poultry. I do this just to be a little healthier.

I only eat seafood. I stopped eating other types of meat for 8/7 years now. Never liked the taste. Plus you stay very "regular". I get alot of crap for not eating turkey, chicken, beef, pork, ect. though. :bomb:

[quote name='withered']I only eat seafood. I stopped eating other types of meat for 8/7 years now. Never liked the taste. Plus you stay very "regular". I get alot of crap for not eating turkey, chicken, beef, pork, ect. though. :bomb:[/quote]

It's ok to eat fish 'cause they don't have any feelings.

Two interesting comments here:

"I (and this is the consensus amongst vegs) get harassed as soon as a carnivore notices that I skipped the meat. Its sad, but I try not to attract attention unless I am in one of my "I actually research shit, including what I put into my body, and god save you I will intellectually destroy you" moods."

"I always mind my own business but get nagged to death by other people for "Why" I choose not to eat meat."

Question: How do you define "being harassed" or "nagged to death"? "Hey, you skipped the sausage? Try it, It's good."? Is simply having your choice acknowledged, being "harassed" or "nagged"?
If you're so sure of your position, why not turn down the obvious antagonist tone of the followup conversation (arguing to "destroy") and instead share all that knowledge in an attempt to "convince" someone?

bread's done
Back