Who here is vegetarian/vegan?

I eat ALOT of meat. I just find it so damn delicious. I know it's going to bite me in the ass when I get older though. I might go vegetarian for health reasons.

[quote name='Interstella 5555']I eat ALOT of meat. I just find it so damn delicious. I know it's going to bite me in the ass when I get older though. I might go vegetarian for health reasons.[/QUOTE]

If it's just for health I predict you won't go full veg.

I eat alot of vegetables and vegetarian meals but if I skip meat too much I start craving it (prolly because I don't seek out high-protein veggies and I get tired of getting protein from peanuts, cashews, beans, etc)

You'd be surprised though, if you stop eating red meat for a month, the first time you try it you won't want it anymore

yeah - while I do eat meat now and then - I don't really crave it or miss it or anything. When I first stopped eating it regularly I actually missed it - I thought about it - craved it - that took about 4-5 months to really get over. But also - I haven't cut it out completely - I get to have it when I want. It's just we don't cook it in the house really.

We had trouble with cooking tofu at first - it takes a lot of practice really (and we still can't get a good tempeh thing going.) We get extra firm regular tofu (not silken - I wouldn't suggest starting with silken as it's a different beast all together.) We freeze it and then thaw it and just squeeze it out real good - we do it with our hands - we use to use paper towels to drain it but that seemed unnecessary after all was said and done. We typically cube it and just add it to a pan and brown it and sorta fry it up with other ingredients in the pan. Curry dishes are our favorites. We also make a mean baked burrito!

As others have said - veggie burger type frozen stuff has gotten much better. You can get veggie crumbles (like ground beef) and veggie chicken type strips that you can quickly add to dishes if you don't have time to mess with tofu or making your own TVP. Our Costco has some awesome veggie patties that I eat nearly daily for lunch as a sandwich. They do not come frozen but can be frozen just fine - I pop one out of the freezer and in the toaster oven to cook it. I like them better than any of the frozen veggie burger options I've tried.

[quote name='SpazX']I've gone much more vegetarian since my original post in this thread about a year ago, for about the same reasons as viva las vegas. I cut out beef and pork and have stuck to that pretty well, I've just had some poultry and seafood lately, but not much.

I've been trying to cook tofu well though. I seasoned it with taco seasoning to make some tacos, and it wasn't very good the first time, and a lot better the second time because I think I drained it better, but it still didn't seem to absorb the flavor as well as it sounds like it should (I've seen a million times about how well tofu absorbs flavors). I just ate at a Thai restaurant the other day and they cooked their tofu a hell of a lot better. So does anybody have any good tofu suggestions for getting it to absorb flavor well?[/QUOTE]

I'd figure I'd pop in here for some advice as well as comments. In terms of Tofu you have 4 main kinds: Silken, Soft, Firm and Extra Firm.

Silken is best used as either a thickener in a shake, smoothie or cut into pieces and cooked in a soup. Soft is a bit in the middle, between Silken and Firm. Best to use Soft cooked a bit on a pan a very short bit and serve on a Salad like the Nasoya pic of it on said package. For Firm cook it in the pan, stir fry or whatever. The same goes for Extra Firm.

When dealing with firm and extra firm one of, if not THE(thee), usual way(but don't quote me here) to do it I believe is to set it out on a plate then put a weight above it maybe for 30 minutes or longer. That's to get the water out because Tofu definitely has it.

Now that that's said don't restrict yourself as the media has done a good job of BRAINWASHING people that Tofu is the only meat substitute out there if you go Vegetarian or Vegan. That, quite frankly, is a load of horseshit. There's also Tempeh and Seitan. Tempeh is like a fermented Soy Cake with maybe some sesame or other ingredients. I think I read Indonesia is it's origin or it's commonly used around that area. It tends to be a bit more sturdy then Tofu in general.

As for Seitan it's Wheat Gluten cooked up. Don't worry! It's not as bad as it sounds. In fact if one managed to cook it down and get most, if not all, of the water out of it it would be pretty close if not spot on to the texture of Chicken.

As for what I am I'm a Vegan as Collector knows. I believe in eating Organic as much as possible as well as avoiding a decent amount of preservative crap that goes into processed foods. You wouldn't believe how much MSG is snuck into your favorite Vegan burger under names like "spices", "natural flavors", Yeast Extract, etc. It's not the full MSG as then it has to be listed but if it's only got Glutamate or two of the three components it doesn't have to be listed and can be hid under other terms. I'm not trying to discourage people from going Vegan or Vegetarian but be cautious and check your food labels.

Now as for Collector discussing one being more attentive to your food and paying more attention to what's in it I would most assuredly agree. I dare you ALL to go Vegan for a standard workweek and CHECK the food labels. Be diligent, making sure that what you eat IS Vegan. Look up words and so on. You'd be surprised how much CRAP is in your food you don't want REGARDLESS if you decide to go back to meat and dairy. I suspect you might cut out at least one or two if not MORE items in your diet in the process. For your reference look up Carmine. Also, and this is a giant one, just with how ambiguous it is, look up mono/diglycerides. Those can be either meat OR vegetable based. Take note on how much Oleorestrin is in products where it shouldn't be there as well as Modified Cornstarch. Trust me when I say you're going to get a big education here.

Now as for your food I bet most of you here don't eat that much of a variety of food in general unless you're cooks or Vegans or MAYBE Vegetarians. How many of you use Spelt Flour, make your own Sourdough Starter(I failed the first time I tried but I'll give it another shot), Barley Flour, Buckwheat Flour, Agave, Maple Syrup, etc.? Consider these variations are used to get some things ironed out to hash for a Vegan version and cooks LOVE using all sorts of different things, exploring all sorts of tastes that most people would never consider. I know I'm being presumptive here but most people, including myself more then I should now as a Vegan, don't like to go outside of their food comfort zone. I'm HOPING I'm going to start to open up more.

Those who wish to go Vegan let me throw out a few cookbook suggestions: Vegan With A Vengeance(this is especially in reference to the previous paragraph and trying new flours and so on as a Vegan), How It All Vegan(this is especially for the Homeopathic cure things as well) and "Vegan Cupcakes Rule the World"(I haven't tried this one yet but I recommend it because it's cupcakes, nuff said). As for websites check out www.vegan-food.net/ . I make a Vegan Fudge and that's where I got the recipe from. Oh and to get you started Isa, author of "Vegan With A Vengeance", mentioned a faux scrambled eggs recipe when she was on the air on Sirius promoting her latest book. The ingredients are some Extra Firm Tofu(I use Nasoya), Black Salt(you'll find this in either Indian or Pakistani stores and it's colored PINK) and then Garbanzo Flour. I didn't hear the exact quantities but I probably take a 1/4 of the package or less and mash it up quick. Use maybe a tsp. or a bit more of the Black Salt. Throw it in and you will definitely smell a sulfurous smell like an egg. Then with the Garbanzo Flour you mix in and judge. After this just throw it on the stove and check on it once a while till done. I'm sorry I can't be more descriptive but I play this recipe by ear. Also in the "Vegan With A Vengeance" book she has a recipe called "Fauxstess Cupcakes" which I think most of you might be interested in checking out.

As for those arguing that Veganism isn't healthier then being a meat eat I would verily disagree. Consider the cholesterol content you're ingesting with all that Dairy for one as well as with the meat. This isn't good Cholesterol we're talking but bad Cholesterol. If you're a Vegan you've completely cut that out unless you get it in an incidental amount like me. You see I eat Dark Chocolate and almost all, if not ALL USDA Organic Dark Chocolate bars, are processed on equipment that deals with milk as well. I don't like it but it's incidental. I like my Chocolate too much, call me a hypocrite. I do avoid it in my Chocolate where I can. I buy Rapunzel's Cocoa Powder which is processed on equipment that deals with Soy.

Sad fact is, if you're a Chocolate fan and demand certified USDA Organic as well as are a Vegan, even the best brands I know of seem to be processed on shared equipment.

Anyway hopefully I gave a lot of people some informative information as well.

[quote name='Sarang01']I'd figure I'd pop in here for some advice as well as comments. In terms of Tofu you have 4 main kinds: Silken, Soft, Firm and Extra Firm.

Those who wish to go Vegan let me throw out a few cookbook suggestions: Vegan With A Vengeance[/QUOTE]

Some great info there - sounds a lot like my wife! We try to be good but it's hard sometimes!

Actually - I think there are various firmness of silken tofu - it's just different from the regular - which also has the various firmness.

I remember my wife reading Vegan with a Vengeance - another one I remember her reading regarding all the "bad" stuff about mainstream food was Skinny Bitch. Also everybody should check out the documentary Food, Inc.

"What don't we eat?"

- "RED MEAT!"

"Why don't we eat it?"

- "Because it's MURDER!"

From some movie I've seen. Meat, for me, is really good, and if you want to enjoy fine dining in your life, that's where the meats that make you spend $30 for a nice cut are.

Veganism is the cure for world hunger. Here's why:

temp-py.gif

If that mothafuokin' bear just ate some primary producers, he'd have a lot more food to share. That is to say that, if the world stop wasting land on livestock, they could grow an abundance of crops, enough to cure hunger. It takes a lot of trees to raise one cow for slaughter, humans should just eat delicious trees & chill out, ya'll.

[quote name='bordjon']Some great info there - sounds a lot like my wife! We try to be good but it's hard sometimes!

Actually - I think there are various firmness of silken tofu - it's just different from the regular - which also has the various firmness.

I remember my wife reading Vegan with a Vengeance - another one I remember her reading regarding all the "bad" stuff about mainstream food was Skinny Bitch. Also everybody should check out the documentary Food, Inc.[/QUOTE]

You wouldn't know that in regards to Silken Tofu looking at most brands and I won't look at Mori-Nu because they're not Organic.

I would also recommend as a general watching "The World According To Monsanto". It's not directly Vegan related but you'll definitely be creeped out.

Marie some would debate that and then they'd drag out the same tired bullshit line about how GMO-crops(see poison in my opinion) will help feed the world. Bottom line, if we want to feed the world with organically grown crops it CAN be done. Imagine all the vacant skyscrapers in places like Detroit that could be converted, with city funds, to vertical Greenhouses. The ground level you could even slowly simulate a Rainforrest. I believe after the initial costs, it could be self-sustainable. I mean it can be built in. To simulate the heat as well as provide some of the water you'd tap into Geothermal. You can run it through a cooling setup powered by Solar Panels as well as Biomass generators. Even then you wouldn't need to cool it much as you could run it through multiple floors. The higher you're going there the more it would cool off automatically.

Anyway I do recognize that concern. Also any meat-eaters or Ovo-Lacto Vegetarians Vegans have THAT right to bitch at you. For the fact their food costs are being tampered with when Soy(a complete protein) is used as livestock feed. How much of that is WASTED on a cow when it could be used to feed someone? Let's not forget that some of the land they're grazing on might work for farm land as well. If you're a fish eater, specifically wild, or Seafood I don't have a problem since that's not putting a drain and screwing with the cost of what I(emphasis) eat.

There also is the problem of subsidies. Meat should NOT be subsidized period. Anyone's tax dollars as a Vegan or Vegetarian funding something they don't eat is ridiculous. This isn't like a Highway, a Fire Department or something everyone uses. Oh and please don't cite schools because we all benefited in terms of getting schooling from people who paid taxes and DIDN'T have kids.

Not really a vegan, but I do a detox 1-2 times a year. Eat nothing but fruits and veggies for a week. It really helps control any unwanted weight gain.

Not really vegatarian, but I eat 2-3 veggie meals a week.

When I go to chipotle, I order the veggie burrito. Not because I don't like meat, but because I want Guac and don't want to pay extra for it.

I just don't understand the ego that some vegetarians have. As if the manager down at the slaughterhouse is counting the cows and deciding to kill a few less today based on your decision to have a tofu burger.

Or your idea that my act to have a burger once a week and chicken 3 times a week means I'll die 10 years before your healthy choices.

I also love all the gluten freaks going around. Celiac disease is an actual condition. Your idea that you feel so much 'clearer' and better after not eating wheat (when you dont have Celiac) is just nuts. And then you evangelize "Oh, no one should eat wheat. It's so inflamatory." :rolls eyes:

I'm pretty late to this party, but add me to the vegan camp. I do it because I personally feel bad about making animals suffer for my meals, so I try to eat in a way that will minimize the suffering. However, if someone doesn't share my priorities, I certainly don't expect them to eat the same way I do. Harassing people never accomplishes anything.

I've seen lots of pushy, finger-pointing vegans, but I've met at least as many people who have felt the need to make jokes or tell me why I should eat meat. Lots of folks are preachy about their opinions on all kinds of subjects; we just don't see it until we do something differently than they do.

[quote name='Frogurt.man']Do vegans poop like three times a day?[/QUOTE]

Yep. :cool:

philucifer got it spot-on. I'm vegan because I think it's better for myself, and I could care less if you eat meat or not. In fact, I'd rather not even tell someone I'm vegan unless there's a real reason to, because then I'll have to endure the stupid jokes and answer the same questions again. Gets old.

So, third post in this thread (that somehow keeps popping back up) and I've now been a vegetarian for about a year and a half. Maybe by the time it pops up again I'll be vegan...

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I am dissapointed... 4 pages in, plenty of gag comments... and NO Todd Ingram jokes? I'm shocked, guys.

[/QUOTE]

Seeing how this topic actually started in 2008...

If I could live healthily on just fruit I would (and that means just fruit no nutritional supplements), although I could live on just fish seafood, fruit, and the few vegetables I do eat. I could completely give up land based meats.

[quote name='SpazX']I've gone much more vegetarian since my original post in this thread about a year ago, for about the same reasons as viva las vegas. I cut out beef and pork and have stuck to that pretty well, I've just had some poultry and seafood lately, but not much.

I've been trying to cook tofu well though. I seasoned it with taco seasoning to make some tacos, and it wasn't very good the first time, and a lot better the second time because I think I drained it better, but it still didn't seem to absorb the flavor as well as it sounds like it should (I've seen a million times about how well tofu absorbs flavors). I just ate at a Thai restaurant the other day and they cooked their tofu a hell of a lot better. So does anybody have any good tofu suggestions for getting it to absorb flavor well?[/QUOTE]

I very rarely eat tofu (though I do like it), but I much prefer TVP (textured vegetable protein) for tacos and stuff like that. You can find it in Whole Foods or a local health food store, in the bulk bins. They're dehydrated little crumbly things, but makes an awesome substitute for ground beef for tacos or making veggie patties.

Mmm, I do love me some lentils; but sadly, we don't make them as much as I'd like to because my wife has stomach problems and can't really eat beans.

[quote name='celegus']Yep. :cool:

philucifer got it spot-on. I'm vegan because I think it's better for myself, and I could care less if you eat meat or not. In fact, I'd rather not even tell someone I'm vegan unless there's a real reason to, because then I'll have to endure the stupid jokes and answer the same questions again. Gets old.[/QUOTE]

No joke! Even when people are trying to be nice about it, it can be a pain. Like going out...I always feel a little guilty when my friends spend time trying to think of a place I can eat. Nobody likes being the one with "special needs." I can usually find *something* to eat no matter where we go.

bread's done
Back