Who here is vegetarian/vegan?

I eat steak about two times a week and burgers once a week. All of my dinners are meat, other than when I have spaghetti (I don't like meatballs).

The vegetarians I don't understand are the ones that eat seafood. Fish might be cold-blooded, but they're still living animals, aren't they?

[quote name='Danil ACE']The vegetarians I don't understand are the ones that eat seafood. Fish might be cold-blooded, but they're still living animals, aren't they?[/QUOTE]

People who eat fish are not vegetarian regardless of what they claim. I've even heard people who eat bacon say they were practically vegetarian.

I would love to be a vegan, but it's really hard. It takes way too much dedication.. and I just don't have it in me. Not for food. I love food waay too much :nottalking:

[quote name='lilboo']I would love to be a vegan, but it's really hard. It takes way too much dedication.. and I just don't have it in me. Not for food. I love food waay too much :nottalking:[/quote]

That and it would put an end to your sex life. With the whole no meat thing. :D

[quote name='lilboo']I would love to be a vegan, but it's really hard. It takes way too much dedication.. and I just don't have it in me. Not for food. I love food waay too much :nottalking:[/QUOTE]

Vegans love food. In fact the very nature of being vegan means food is a bigger focus in your life than it is for the average person. Vegans generally eat a larger variety of foods and eat foods made with higher quality ingredients than most people.

[quote name='Collectordragon']Vegans love food. In fact the very nature of being vegan means food is a bigger focus in your life than it is for the average person. Vegans generally eat a larger variety of foods and eat foods made with higher quality ingredients than most people.[/quote]
Stop bullshitting.

[quote name='naes']Stop bullshitting.[/QUOTE]

That's not BSing at all. The average person does not even look at ingredient lists or can even name half the stuff they eat. Vegans on the other hand scour the ingredient lists of every item they eat.

[quote name='lilboo']I would love to be a vegan, but it's really hard. It takes way too much dedication.. and I just don't have it in me. Not for food. I love food waay too much :nottalking:[/QUOTE]

If you want to try some good vegetarian and vegan food I recommend you check out the recipe database on vegweb.com. It's extensive and has lots of pictures. It also shows just how much variety there is in what we eat.

[quote name='Collectordragon']Vegans generally eat a larger variety of foods and eat foods made with higher quality ingredients than most people.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

vegan : food :: dieter : food

Dieters care about calaries/fat/carbs, vegans care about meat/animal byproducts, both pay more attention to ingredients so that they can avoid certain (broad) types of food.

To be a vegan, you must be more passionate about avoiding meat than you are about food.

[quote name='Koggit']:rofl:

vegan : food :: dieter : food

Dieters care about calaries/fat/carbs, vegans care about meat/animal byproducts, both pay more attention to ingredients so that they can avoid certain (broad) types of food.

To be a vegan, you must be more passionate about avoiding meat than you are about food.[/QUOTE]

That's not entirely accurate. Being vegan and passionate about food is not mutually exclusive. Go to vegweb.com and tell me those people aren't passionate about food.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Collectordragon']That's not entirely accurate. Being vegan and passionate about food is not mutually exclusive. Go to vegweb.com and tell me those people aren't passionate about food.[/QUOTE]

They're definitely more passionate about being vegan than they are about eating food.

You know, I know it's true because I have met people like that, but I still cannot wrap my head around it. How the fuck can you be a vegan and be fat? How's it even possible? And if you are a fat vegan, what is the fucking point?

I really have nothing against vegans, except the ones that act like they are "enlightened" because they don't eat meat and the rest of us are neanderthals.

[quote name='Collectordragon']That's not BSing at all. The average person does not even look at ingredient lists or can even name half the stuff they eat. Vegans on the other hand scour the ingredient lists of every item they eat.[/quote]
Yes, it is BSing. I don't understand how you can say that because you are a vegan you care more about food than the average person. Cooking meat can be easy, yet if you want a good steak, it is very hard to cook it perfectly and the prices on high quality steaks can be very expensive. Everyone cares about the food they eat. Stop trying to sat that because you are vegan you care more about food than everyone else.

This whole thread was useless. It's like making a thread asking if you are gay or straight. Since I eat meat daily, are you going to look down upon me? I mean, why else would you make it a public poll? You wanted to see what everyone is.

[quote name='Koggit']They're definitely more passionate about being vegan than they are about eating food.[/QUOTE]

Amen.

[quote name='Koggit']They're definitely more passionate about being vegan than they are about eating food.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm guessing you don't eat insects. Many people from many cultures around the world eat insects. Why are you excluding them from your diet? Using your logic I guess you care more about not eating insects than you do about food.

[quote name='naes']Yes, it is BSing. I don't understand how you can say that because you are a vegan you care more about food than the average person. Cooking meat can be easy, yet if you want a good steak, it is very hard to cook it perfectly and the prices on high quality steaks can be very expensive. Everyone cares about the food they eat. Stop trying to sat that because you are vegan you care more about food than everyone else.

This whole thread was useless. It's like making a thread asking if you are gay or straight. Since I eat meat daily, are you going to look down upon me? I mean, why else would you make it a public poll? You wanted to see what everyone is.[/QUOTE]

I said the average vegan compared to the average person. Do you really think the average American who is overweight and frequents fast food establishments puts a lot of thought into what they're eating?

I made the poll public so I would know which other CAGs were vegetarian. I only wanted to find out who the other vegetarians were. I could see a gay person asking if there were other gay people on the site. People like to find others like themselves especially if they're in the minority. Why are you on a gaming site? It's because you want to talk to others like yourself (fellow gamers) otherwise you'd be somewhere else.

If this thread is useless why bother coming into it? I doubt any of the vegetarians would waste their time going into a topic related to meat.

[quote name='Collectordragon']Well, I'm guessing you don't eat insects. Many people from many cultures around the world eat insects.[/quote]
Many cultures around the world eat meat.

[quote name='Collectordragon']I said the average vegan compared to the average person. Do you really think the average American who is overweight and frequents fast food establishments puts a lot of thought into what they're eating?

I made the poll public so I would know which other CAGs were vegetarian. I only wanted to find out who the other vegetarians were. I could see a gay person asking if there were other gay people on the site. People like to find others like themselves especially if they're in the minority. Why are you on a gaming site? It's because you want to talk to others like yourself (fellow gamers) otherwise you'd be somewhere else.

If this thread is useless why bother coming into it? I doubt any of the vegetarians would waste their time going into a topic related to meat.[/quote]
The point is, if this is really a topic for vegetarians, why even bother making it a poll? You made it a poll and open the flood gates for everyone, not just vegetarians.

Sorry if it seems like I'm coming off harsh. This whole thread just seems like it's ostracizing everyone.

[quote name='naes']Many cultures around the world eat meat.[/QUOTE]

Yep, and there are many cultures that have practised cannibalism and even ones that have practiced vegetarianism for thousands of years like many of the cultures in India.

[quote name='Collectordragon']Yep, and there are many cultures that have practised cannibalism and even ones that have practiced vegetarianism for thousands of years like many of the cultures in India.[/quote]
I can't defend cannibalism. However, I do understand why people are vegetarian and I hope you understand why people eat meat (that isn't human).

[quote name='naes']The point is, if this is really a topic for vegetarians, why even bother making it a poll? You made it a poll and open the flood gates for everyone, not just vegetarians.

Sorry if it seems like I'm coming off harsh. This whole thread just seems like it's ostracizing everyone.[/QUOTE]

I wanted to see the types of vegetarians and get accurate results. I suppose I could have only put vegetarian choices but then there probably would have been more false results and people complaining that they couldn't vote in the poll.

Ostracizing was not my intention. I knew there was a decent size group of vegetarians on CAG but for the most part we were not aware of each other and now we are. Before I started the topic I only knew of a few CAGs that were vegetarian. Now I know a bunch.

ITT collectordragon makes a fool of himself

This should probably just be locked or whatever, it's been ugly and is going nowhere.

[quote name='naes']I can't defend cannibalism. However, I do understand why people are vegetarian and I hope you understand why people eat meat (that isn't human).[/QUOTE]

I understand why people eat meat. That doesn't make me agree with the choice but I won't attack anyone for it either. All I ask is the same in return. I hope you understand this topic was not a personal attack against you or anyone else just a topic for like-minded individuals to find each other.

[quote name='Koggit']ITT collectordragon makes a fool of himself

This should probably just be locked or whatever, it's been ugly and is going nowhere.[/QUOTE]

How have I made a fool out of myself? You're the one who came into this topic looking for trouble. All this topic asked was who here was vegetarian or vegan. If you're not why bother posting? I didn't attack or even mention meat-eaters in the original post.

[quote name='Collectordragon']I wanted to see the types of vegetarians and get accurate results. I suppose I could have only put vegetarian choices but then there probably would have been more false results and people complaining that they couldn't vote in the poll.

Ostracizing was not my intention. I knew there was a decent size group of vegetarians on CAG but for the most part we were not aware of each other and now we are. Before I started the topic I only knew of a few CAGs that were vegetarian. Now I know a bunch.[/quote]

[quote name='Collectordragon']I understand why people eat meat. That doesn't make me agree with the choice but I won't attack anyone for it either. All I ask is the same in return. I hope you understand this topic was not a personal attack against you or anyone else just a topic for like-minded individuals to find each other.[/quote]

Huh??? What is the importance of this? What does it matter? Its a personal choice. I don't quite understand why anyone else matters.

banghead.gif

Oh mah gosh, for the last time will you guys shut up with the "if you're a veggie does that mean you hate me?" comments? From here on in, if I see any more posts about over agressive plant or animal eaters, or "why did you post this, you're a ninny" posts, I'm giving infractions for trolling. Gad it's like kindergarten sometimes.

You can say say if you're a veggie or whatever the heck you are. You can list your reasons why you're what you are and you can talk about the foods you like or dislike. You can talk balanced diets or unhealthy diets.

But KNOCK OFF THE ASSUMPTIVE POSTS THAT SOMEONE DIFFERENT THAN YOU HAS A PROBLEM WITH YOUR WAY OF LIVING. No where in this thread has the OP said he's looking to start an vegetarian uprising to shame us meat eaters. He just wants to talk with his veggie comrades.

What is so difficult to understand about that?

[quote name='paddlefoot']Huh??? What is the importance of this? What does it matter? Its a personal choice. I don't quite understand why anyone else matters.[/quote]It's a lifestyle choice. It's important to HIM. You come here to talk games with gamers, right? I'm a pretty big gamer, but I have to admit, food is slightly more important to me than games. I can definately understand why someone who eats a less mainstream diet would want to talk about that with people of the same interest. And even if I didn't understand, I wouldn't waste my time being so concerned about someone elses affairs.

CollectorDragon, if anymore trolls pop up, dont reply to them or I'll have to spank you too. Just PM me about them.

[quote name='guinaevere']It's a lifestyle choice. It's important to HIM. You come here to talk games with gamers, right? I'm a pretty big gamer, but I have to admit, food is slightly more important to me than games. I can definately understand why someone who eats a less mainstream diet would want to talk about that with people of the same interest. And even if I didn't understand, I wouldn't waste my time being so concerned about someone elses affairs.

CollectorDragon, if anymore trolls pop up, dont reply to them or I'll have to spank you too. Just PM me about them.[/QUOTE]

Yes Mistress. May I have another?

So I was wondering something...

Vegan's don't eat anything that has a head, so can you guys eat lettuce?

What about Corn? An ear is part of a head afterall.

I tried being vegetarian when I was a teenager. I made it about 3 months and then went to McDonalds.. good times.

Hey! Yeah, been a veggo since I was 7 and still going strong, however, I did become an ovo-lacto-pices vegetarian (I eat fish too) more recently. Don't really eat much fish/seafood, but do have it on the rare occasion.

There are so many soy/etc fake meat items out there today it's amazing!! When I first started boca/morning start, etc were almost non-existent!! : ) Of course, it has become tons easier after moving from TX (has to be the meat capitol of the US) to Colorado (more vegetarians/natural food stores than I've ever seen before!).

Thanks for the post. This is a cool topic!!

Not only that but when the first vegetarian soy fake meat products came out, they tasted pretty bad but now a days they're really good.

[quote name='Doc Bacca']Nope. I love meat and don't think I'd make it long without it.
That being said though I love fruits and vegetables. Salads are pretty great. I couldn't survive on meat alone for long.[/QUOTE]

Same deal here. Love good meat, but served by itself as a portion? Blech.

[quote name='guinaevere']
banghead.gif

Oh mah gosh, for the last time will you guys shut up with the "if you're a veggie does that mean you hate me?" comments? From here on in, if I see any more posts about over agressive plant or animal eaters, or "why did you post this, you're a ninny" posts, I'm giving infractions for trolling. Gad it's like kindergarten sometimes.

You can say say if you're a veggie or whatever the heck you are. You can list your reasons why you're what you are and you can talk about the foods you like or dislike. You can talk balanced diets or unhealthy diets.

But KNOCK OFF THE ASSUMPTIVE POSTS THAT SOMEONE DIFFERENT THAN YOU HAS A PROBLEM WITH YOUR WAY OF LIVING. No where in this thread has the OP said he's looking to start an vegetarian uprising to shame us meat eaters. He just wants to talk with his veggie comrades.

What is so difficult to understand about that?[/QUOTE]

Prolly cuz popculture likes to portray vegans as militant freaks for laughs. And people get those notions lodged in their heads.

Hmm. I missed this topic it seems. I've been a Lacto-Ova vegetarian my whole life (I was raised that way). I don't have a problem with people eating meat if they don't have a problem with me. My parents tried becoming Vegans a few years back but that didn't last. I don't really have any reason for why I eat the way I do other than that I have for my whole life.

I'm happy that Giant Eagle (local grocery store) has vegan brown rice protein powder. I've heard that soy products contain plant estrogens that can be counter-productive to muscle growth. Whether that's true or not I've been getting my extra protein from non-soy sources since I started hitting the gym. I've certainly noticed the benefits of added protein in my diet.

[quote name='danny_schell']
2) As long as the plants don't live horrible lives in little cages, I think my conscience would let me eat them.[/QUOTE]

You know you could go hunting or fishing and catch animals in the wild and eat them, right?

Not all animals consumed lived their lives in a cage.

[quote name='Collectordragon']Vegans love food. In fact the very nature of being vegan means food is a bigger focus in your life than it is for the average person. Vegans generally eat a larger variety of foods and eat foods made with higher quality ingredients than most people.[/quote]

I'll eat ANY, and I mean ANY kind of meat except humans or testicles. BTW, I know tripe's kind of tame, but I had the best tripe soup ever at this little Mexican place a few towns away.

For every vegan or vegetarian there's at least two people like me, who eats as many different meats as they can (no sex pun intended) and at the same time eats most of the things a vegan does. Don't compare health-conscious vegans to the people who will just eat fried anything- compare them to the health-conscious omnivores.

Still, though, while I eat a lot of meats I rarely eat them fried...and I also eat tons of veggies and fruits, almost no snack foods (not cause I'm a health nut- because I'm addicted to nuts, bananas, and Jersey white corn.) Not in small part to the fact that growing up in an Italian household (okay, fine, my mom's Irish- but my dad cooks) got me hooked on the most awesome and some of the healthiest food on the planet- Italian peasant food.

I think vegetarians have got some balls, though.

Been a vegetarian for over 20 years. There is a good fake for just about everything. I live for veggie burgers, hot dogs, etc. A thousand times easier to find than when I started. I didn't choose it for health reasons, just as simple as why kill to eat when you don't have to. I think most people are just happy to let someone else do the dirty work and have zero clue how fucked up the meat industry is.

Let me get this out of the way first, I have 0 concerns about animals. And I don't care how they fuck up those animals, just as long as I get that good & tasty meat. I don't eat pork for health reasons because of how fatty & low-grade meat it is.

I despise animal lovers. And I also feal that same way against most vegans/Vegeterian, because they stopped eating meat because they didn't like how the animals had to be tortured & killed just for food. If you think that, you're putting animals above your own human race! Just like with testing products on animals, I can't possibly see why you would not want them to be tested on. How else are we gonna see if a product is safe? Test them on humans...?

My wife is vegetarian (actually pescetarian - she eats fish and seafood.) She's read a ton of books on it all - can't remember all of them though. I know she's read a number from Andrew Weil (not sure if those are specifically for food though.) Veganomicon and Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone I know are both awesome cookbooks that have so much more info than just recipies. I actually eat meat though - not a lot and not real often.

I've gone much more vegetarian since my original post in this thread about a year ago, for about the same reasons as viva las vegas. I cut out beef and pork and have stuck to that pretty well, I've just had some poultry and seafood lately, but not much.

I've been trying to cook tofu well though. I seasoned it with taco seasoning to make some tacos, and it wasn't very good the first time, and a lot better the second time because I think I drained it better, but it still didn't seem to absorb the flavor as well as it sounds like it should (I've seen a million times about how well tofu absorbs flavors). I just ate at a Thai restaurant the other day and they cooked their tofu a hell of a lot better. So does anybody have any good tofu suggestions for getting it to absorb flavor well?

bread's done
Back