Who is getting Vista?

Early adopters == paying beta testers == suckers.

But beyond that general principle, the answer is still no. My next commercial OS will be OSX on the new Mac laptop I'm dreaming about.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']in 15 mins, I gave you 3 big reasons to just go Mac.

Macs have been doing this shit for years. And they can do Windows Xp and Vista if you needed too.

Not only that... The new OSX is coming out.

No viruses, No spyware and "putting users back in control of their PC's" (actual Bill Quote) since 2001. The only thing people talk about Macs these days is games. I have no idea why someone would put games on their workstation, but I guess some people cant seperate the two. Still, theres WoW, COD2, Quake 4, Sims 2, and a shitload others. Look on Apple.com.[/quote]

Gotta love Apple cult bull. Viruses/Spyware do exist for macs, and there have been more security holes in OSX the past two years than XP. No one exploits them because Apple only has 2% of the world market. It's just not worth it. I'm not saying Macs are bad, I have a Macbook myself, but it's stifling compared to my Windows PC. Mac users are the worst because they have their heads shoved up their ass and have to troll any windows thread they find to justify their Mac. You enjoy you Mac? Great for you! Go enjoy it and take your BS elsewhere.

[quote name='n25philly']Viruses/Spyware do exist for macs, and there have been more security holes in OSX the past two years than XP. No one exploits them because Apple only has 2% of the world market.[/quote]
Agreed.

http://news.com.com/Winner+mocks+OS+X+hacking+contest/2100-1002_3-6046197.html
On Feb. 22, the Sweden-based Mac enthusiast set up his Mac Mini as a server and invited hackers to break through the computer's security and gain root control, which would allow the attacker to take charge of the computer and delete files and folders or install applications.

Participants were given local client access to the target computer and invited to try their luck.

Within hours of going live, the "rm-my-mac" competition was over. The challenger posted this message on his Web site: "This sucks. Six hours later, this poor little Mac was owned, and this page got defaced."

The hacker who won the challenge, who asked ZDNet Australia to identify him only as "Gwerdna," said he gained root control of the Mac in less than 30 minutes.

It doesn't change the fact that there are fewer threats when using a Mac though. Ultimately I dream of having 2 computers, one gaming PC and a Mac for everything else like work, entertainment (music, photos, iLife, etc.).

[quote name='Mookyjooky']The only thing people talk about Macs these days is games. I have no idea why someone would put games on their workstation, but I guess some people cant seperate the two.[/QUOTE]
Because you can, and can well with a non-mac system.

After reading some of the issues with OEM and upgrade versions, I'm wondering if I should bother with Vista. That means that if I buy a copy from my school, I couldn't upgrade my computer's mobo or change if it it dies or something. Hm...

Well, more reason to stick with XP.

[quote name='Vinny']After reading some of the issues with OEM and upgrade versions, I'm wondering if I should bother with Vista. That means that if I buy a copy from my school, I couldn't upgrade my computer's mobo or change if it it dies or something. Hm...

Well, more reason to stick with XP.[/QUOTE]

Did you see this?:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20070126/tc_zd/199653

I didn't see anything about switching out the mobo automatically killing your Vista so I'd assume it's safe.

[quote name='n25philly']Gotta love Apple cult bull. Viruses/Spyware do exist for macs, and there have been more security holes in OSX the past two years than XP. No one exploits them because Apple only has 2% of the world market. It's just not worth it. I'm not saying Macs are bad, I have a Macbook myself, but it's stifling compared to my Windows PC. Mac users are the worst because they have their heads shoved up their ass and have to troll any windows thread they find to justify their Mac. You enjoy you Mac? Great for you! Go enjoy it and take your BS elsewhere.[/QUOTE]
Don't worry about Mac snobs, they are all around the internet and are just trying to justify their overprice computer purchase by telling others it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have nothing against macs but Mac users always have something against PC/Windows. I'm just glad MS doesn't charge us $80+ a year for an upgrade. $160 upgrade that I won't need to upgrade for 3+ years is fine with me.

Never upgrade to a new OS unless you have to, and by have to I mean "that killer app you want to run requires that version of the OS".

I ran Windows 2000 until Battlefield 2 Patches FORCED me to upgrade to XP. XP is 2000 with a bigger footprint :p

VISTA is a whole bunch of desktop crap that most power users will immediately turn off to save resources. You'll turn off all the fancy CPU and RAM robbing "enhancements". Everyone I know who runs Xp does so with the options turned off, so it looks exactly like a windows 2000 interface. None of those enhancements ever did me any good.

I use an OS for launching applications..beyond that...why should I care if I can rotate my windows in transluscent 3D? Oh maybe I *SHOULD* Care since my OS now requires A GIG OF RAM just to function adequately!
(slaps head in disgust)

[quote name='HeadRusch']Never upgrade to a new OS unless you have to, and by have to I mean "that killer app you want to run requires that version of the OS".

I ran Windows 2000 until Battlefield 2 Patches FORCED me to upgrade to XP. XP is 2000 with a bigger footprint :p

VISTA is a whole bunch of desktop crap that most power users will immediately turn off to save resources. You'll turn off all the fancy CPU and RAM robbing "enhancements". Everyone I know who runs Xp does so with the options turned off, so it looks exactly like a windows 2000 interface. None of those enhancements ever did me any good.

I use an OS for launching applications..beyond that...why should I care if I can rotate my windows in transluscent 3D? Oh maybe I *SHOULD* Care since my OS now requires A GIG OF RAM just to function adequately!
(slaps head in disgust)[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure that Vista turns off the pretty desktop shit whenever you run something with a high priority like games.

We went through a Vista presentation at work today to see changes and how they'd effect us. After seeing that presentation I concluded (along with everyone else in the room) that the new pretty visuals won't be worth the hassle Vista could cause, especially in its release state.

I'm not saying I'll ever get a Vista machine, but I'll stick to XP and keep my skins/docks along with the resources overhead I have.

[quote name='spoo']Don't worry about Mac snobs, they are all around the internet and are just trying to justify their overprice computer purchase by telling others it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have nothing against macs but Mac users always have something against PC/Windows. I'm just glad MS doesn't charge us $80+ a year for an upgrade. $160 upgrade that I won't need to upgrade for 3+ years is fine with me.[/quote]

I got both mac and dell here at the house. At my time of purchase, I bought a mac pro with two 3.0 xeons for less than what it would have cost me for the equivilant Dell. Plus the build quality is much better.

On top of all of that, I can run windows on that machine as well as OSX. Not such a bad deal in my opinion.

I just had to add to the thread, someones misinformed. I can personally care less what computer one is running. Final cut only works on the mac side of things, thus I have the mac.

And while I mostly play console games, I do occasionally play pc games, Id rather keep games off my work machine(s) though.

The local school tech store isn't getting their copies until mid-April. Looks like I'll be waiting until then.

And, he said that at the moment they'd only be getting Vista Business. I want Vista Ultimate though. He said they were in talks to get more versions, and I hope that goes through.

I bought a cheap compaq with vista basic. Seems nice, nice features, did take a while to load all the initial startup programs. Still feels like windows but with a change, like 98 to xp, take a few days to get used to. Wish I would have gotten premium to see the aero and link with the 360, oh well.

[quote name='Qslugs']I got both mac and dell here at the house. At my time of purchase, I bought a mac pro with two 3.0 xeons for less than what it would have cost me for the equivilant Dell. Plus the build quality is much better.

And while I mostly play console games, I do occasionally play pc games, Id rather keep games off my work machine(s) though.[/QUOTE]
I'm sorry but right now a mac pro is $2,499 and you could get a comparable/better Windows machine for around $1,250 or even less.

I do understand the keeping games off of work machines but why not have your cake and eat it too?

That and they want to milk their new operating system for all it's worth. "Oh look at the graphix, the pretty seemless enviornment you'll get with the new system." Yeah, it's pretty, but everything is already available with XP. Everything! -------- Thanks to the pricing and the problems with this, I'm changing from XP Pro(which I have had since it came out), to MAC OS or Linux the next time I upgrade my system. This is just ridiculous.

I love this notion stated by the above post that essentially says, "I put up with the bullshit of XP for five years, but now since there are problems with it that don't even compare to what was wrong with XP when it came out, I'm switching OSes!!! I'm outraged!!!"

As for the whole Mac/Windows debate, Windows rips off what OSX does all the time, but now I can get some of the neat Mac functionality without having to drop four digits on a system I can now piece together. Also you're kidding yourselves if you think there's only pretentious Apple assholes. There are just as many people up Gates' ass as evidenced by this thread.

People do love being outraged.

Buying a new Windows OS is like buying a new console from Sony. Unless you like paying your money to beta test retail merchandise, pass on it until 6 months to a year has passed. You know shiny new things are what attracts hacker, virus writers and other seedy peeps.

[quote name='n25philly']I've been using the final version of Vista since November, and it's really nice. It's very stable and quite fast. My work and home computers run faster with Vista than XP. (Vista is multi-threaded, so it takes advantage of dual core computers) It even runs well on my tablet which is a 1.73 Pentium M, 1 gig mem, 64mb video card.[/QUOTE]

What stuff runs better? I'd like it if the mail client and the general interface were multithreaded better than XP.

Mookyjooky, OS X is impressive, but yeah...games. Technically there are a lot of OS X games, but obviously not as many, and they're more expensive, plus the hardware gives you a lot less bang for your buck. For gamers it's not as good of a solution (which is one of the reasons I switched back).

Given that, I'm glad Microsoft keeps ripping off Apple features. There are actually aspects of the Windows interface I like better than OS X though.

Yeah well I got my copy yesterday and I will probably install it on friday or saturday after I procure all my drivers and back up my XP data.

Also I am going to have it set up to dual boot with Ubuntu Linux.

[quote name='n25philly']Gotta love Apple cult bull. Viruses/Spyware do exist for macs, and there have been more security holes in OSX the past two years than XP. No one exploits them because Apple only has 2% of the world market. It's just not worth it. I'm not saying Macs are bad, I have a Macbook myself, but it's stifling compared to my Windows PC. Mac users are the worst because they have their heads shoved up their ass and have to troll any windows thread they find to justify their Mac. You enjoy you Mac? Great for you! Go enjoy it and take your BS elsewhere.[/quote]

Edited my post, because the only reason I posted all the crap the was originally here was because n25philly would rather attack me personally than actually post some real proof.

Basically the differences are just Hummers and Porsches, they're both luxury vehicles... some people like the overly beefy specs for running video games, while others like the sleek and fast design for working creatively. A PC cant run Shake 4.1 or Logic Pro, and a Mac wont run new games that require a $4,000 dollar custom machine to run. Well, it might in bootcamp... but who knows.

I've never been so creatively productive since I got my first Mac in 99', and when I had my PC all I ever played is Counter-strike. So I guess it just goes to what you like. I may have my head in my ass, but I like being able run programs without installing them, run windows XP when I need it (for only my pocket PC, which Missing sync 5.0 fixed for me), I like not having viruses or spyware wasting my fucking time. I've never run into a problem of doing something on my Mac, and I download torrents, create music and movies, and work on my screenplays.

I work for GE as a systems analyst all day fixing Windows Xp issues just because they've updated to IE 7.0 or SP2 and all their shit is incompatible and its a pain in the ass to rollback. So I could never make my home PC a Windows machine ever again... I do tech support for homes on the side, and ever since I moved my 5 clients to Macs, I get one call every 3 months than 5 calls a week. And thats great in my eyes.

I hope Windows Vista works better for all of you than Windows Xp did for me 5 years ago, and thats about it.

Well my school provided 2 free copies of Vista business with 2 separate keys (CD version and DVD version) so I might actually try it out today or tomorrow. My friends who have already installed it say it turns windows into Mac OSX and I was never really fond of the whole mini icon launch bar thing at the bottom, but I'm willing to give it a go :)

Too bad that fucker is 2.3gb for the DVD and 5 or so 600mb CDs.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I do tech support for homes on the side, and ever since I moved my 5 clients to Macs, I get one call every 3 months than 5 calls a week. And thats great in my eyes.[/QUOTE] I'm guessing you weren't making much money off of that to begin with, if you didn't mind losing it. :lol:

I'm tempted to get it just because I'd like some change. Plus it's nice to be able to not worry about the lack of updates and all. Though I'm sure XP still has a lot of life left in it before they stop supporting it so it's probably a waste of money.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I'm guessing you weren't making much money off of that to begin with, if you didn't mind losing it. :lol:[/quote]

Actually, I'm trying to get out of it. $600 bucks a year taxfree for service for 5 homes is great for a bit, but I'm making more, and I dont have the time to keep doing it.

i have a free copy of windows vista coming to me in about week or two but i dunno if i should upgrade it on my notebook. I really don't use my notebook for gaming but i run a lot of programs on my notebook (about 5 programs at once). My specs are:

Turion 64 MK-36 (2.0 ghz 512 kb L2 Cache)
1 GB PC-4200 RAM
80 GB 5400 RPM HD
128 MB ATI XPRESS 1150
DL DVD-RW Drive

[quote name='H-Town Info']i have a free copy of windows vista coming to me in about week or two but i dunno if i should upgrade it on my notebook. I really don't use my notebook for gaming but i run a lot of programs on my notebook (about 5 programs at once). My specs are:

Turion 64 MK-36 (2.0 ghz 512 kb L2 Cache)
1 GB PC-4200 RAM
80 GB 5400 RPM HD
128 MB ATI XPRESS 1150
DL DVD-RW Drive[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't do it. you are just meating the recomended specs, so vista would likely slow down your notebook.

[quote name='Chacrana']My copy came today. I'll probably have impressions tonight sometime.[/QUOTE]

Best of luck getting everything to work.

[quote name='furyk']Best of luck getting everything to work.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm not upgrading from XP -- I'm doing a fresh install so I shouldn't run into too many problems.

[quote name='Chacrana']I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm not upgrading from XP -- I'm doing a fresh install so I shouldn't run into too many problems.[/QUOTE]

I remember reading that people were getting BSODs while using BitTorrent. Did they fix this problem?

Got it up and running no problem... cept for that piece of shit Linksys wireless adapter. I want to throw the damn thing away anyway, but it's really annoying that the Vista drivers for that piece of shit aren't working... I hate Linksys.

[quote name='Technique']I remember reading that people were getting BSODs while using BitTorrent. Did they fix this problem?[/QUOTE]

How would that be possible? BitTorrent shouldn't be capable of causing a bluescreen under any circumstances.

The network drivers could if they were bad and running in kernel mode, but I thought the whole point of Vista was pulling drivers OUT of kernel mode. They did for sound and video, so I assume they did for network too.

Okay, so I decided that Linksys is indeed useless and I got another wireless adapter. Now everything's perfect. I love Vista so far. It seems rock solid, I'm still getting good frame rates in games even with these early drivers, and everything just runs smoothly. You can be doing a ton of stuff like installing a game, watching a video, etc, all at once and it still runs like a dream... it was also really cool that Vista recognized all my games that I installed as being games (so I didn't have to do anything to add them to the Games Explorer) and that the OS automatically downloaded the new NVIDIA drivers. Very convenient and that's the kind of thing that's really useful even for people who don't understand why they need driver updates. Basically, it feels like I just got a new game system since this is such a drastic change from the previous versions of Windows. Definitely glad I made the switch.

I got a retail version of Home Premium Full and did a fresh install on Macbook under the current Bootcamp 1.1.2. As expected, the laptop will hang when a restart is performed; this happened during Vista installation, as well as when Vista is up and running.

Also the Macbook drivers that the Bootcamp burned under OSX does not install correctly, and returns with an error message during installation and the installation was reversed (back to original, no drivers setting). Sound, Bluetooth, iSight are non-functional because of the lack of drivers. Keyboard and trackpad had mapping problems because of different layouts. I had to manually extract all the individual drivers following the direction that was posted on the Apple's forum. Now most of the hardwares are working, but I still wasnt able to get Bluetooth to work properly and there's too many 'Unknown device' under control panel to know which is for the iSight, but since I don't use iSight, I left it there.

So the bottom line is, if you have Macbook (cant say for sure for MB Pro, but beware too), wait for drivers to come out from Apple before making the leap.

*Edit* Also my G1 Macbook has Intel 945 graphic chipset, even with a graphic rating of 2.4/5 on the performance benchmark under Vista, all the visual effects are very smooth and pretty.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']I got a retail version of Home Premium Full and did a fresh install on Macbook under the current Bootcamp 1.1.2. As expected, the laptop will hang when a restart is performed; this happened during Vista installation, as well as when Vista is up and running.

Also the Macbook drivers that the Bootcamp burned under OSX does not install correctly, and returns with an error message during installation and the installation was reversed (back to original, no drivers setting). Sound, Bluetooth, iSight are non-functional because of the lack of drivers. Keyboard and trackpad had mapping problems because of different layouts. I had to manually extract all the individual drivers following the direction that was posted on the Apple's forum. Now most of the hardwares are working, but I still wasnt able to get Bluetooth to work properly and there's too many 'Unknown device' under control panel to know which is for the iSight, but since I don't use iSight, I left it there.

So the bottom line is, if you have Macbook (cant say for sure for MB Pro, but beware too), wait for drivers to come out from Apple before making the leap.

*Edit* Also my G1 Macbook has Intel 945 graphic chipset, even with a graphic rating of 2.4/5 on the performance benchmark under Vista, all the visual effects are very smooth and pretty.[/QUOTE]

So the Aero Glass effects work on Intel's GMA 950? I've never been clear on that. Makes sense though, since it does accelerate OS X obviously!

That makes me feel better about the Macbook as a potential laptop, since I could revert to Vista if I get scared :lol:

Does the Macbook handle it's 3D interface okay on an external monitor?
Whatever notebook I get, I'm mostly going to be using it connected to an external monitor, but I've heard the GMA 950 kind of slows down in that situation (I suppose since it has to draw both screens at once).

Seems like OS X does a better job with multiple monitors than Windows does though.

[quote name='Wolfpup']So the Aero Glass effects work on Intel's GMA 950? I've never been clear on that. Makes sense though, since it does accelerate OS X obviously!

That makes me feel better about the Macbook as a potential laptop, since I could revert to Vista if I get scared :lol:

Does the Macbook handle it's 3D interface okay on an external monitor?
Whatever notebook I get, I'm mostly going to be using it connected to an external monitor, but I've heard the GMA 950 kind of slows down in that situation (I suppose since it has to draw both screens at once).

Seems like OS X does a better job with multiple monitors than Windows does though.[/QUOTE]

For the external monitor, I didn't see any visual difference between it and the Macbook screen. Although I didnt play around enough to use it extensively or to use it as a desktop extension (I've only tried the cloned view).

got mine up and going with no snags so far. Haven't tried out games yet but I assume it will all be fine. I'm just having problems getting my Nintendo USB wifi adapter to work.

[quote name='richbastard']That and they want to milk their new operating system for all it's worth. "Oh look at the graphix, the pretty seemless enviornment you'll get with the new system." Yeah, it's pretty, but everything is already available with XP. Everything! -------- Thanks to the pricing and the problems with this, I'm changing from XP Pro(which I have had since it came out), to MAC OS or Linux the next time I upgrade my system. This is just ridiculous.[/quote]

I would go to Linux. Unless you like a convoluted mess that is. ;)

[quote name='Wolfpup']What stuff runs better? I'd like it if the mail client and the general interface were multithreaded better than XP.

Mookyjooky, OS X is impressive, but yeah...games. Technically there are a lot of OS X games, but obviously not as many, and they're more expensive, plus the hardware gives you a lot less bang for your buck. For gamers it's not as good of a solution (which is one of the reasons I switched back).

Given that, I'm glad Microsoft keeps ripping off Apple features. There are actually aspects of the Windows interface I like better than OS X though.[/quote]

General performance. I have a Macbook, and I don't get all the "ripped off OSX" thing. They are very different. I have had my Macbook for about a month now and I'm just about ready to dump it. The layout is so conveluted and just makes no sense. I can't ever get the stupid web browser to go full screen. The widgets are neat, but why can't I seem to get them to stay on the screen all of the time? What's up with the bottom of the screen? Does Apple think I can't remember wyhat programs I have on my computer if there isn't big icons that look like their drawn for 3 year olds on the screen at all times. None of this makes any sense to me.

If I had a time machine I would go back in time and provide a slow painful death to everyone involved with the design of quicktime and iTunes.

bread's done
Back