Why am I burnt out on RPGs/JRPGs?

[quote name='Rodimus']I've never played Enchanted Arms (kinda forgot it ever existed until today) but Paco kinda piqued my interest, so I added a request on Goozex.[/QUOTE]

As long as you know beforehand that you're about to experience one of the worst games this gen, and maybe all time.

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']As long as you know beforehand that you're about to experience one of the worst games this gen, and maybe all time.[/QUOTE]

Unlimited SaGa would like to have a word with you.

[quote name='icebeast']Unlimited SaGa would like to have a word with you.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't that be everything Idea factory makes? To this day, I still have no idea how they stay in business.

[quote name='Paco']Wouldn't that be everything Idea factory makes? To this day, I still have no idea how they stay in business.[/QUOTE]

Actually you may be right, Unlimited SaGa was still funny enough to suffer through 2-3 hours. Cross Edge on the other hand was awful, there was no funny to be had just bad. I basically never trade games in, but Cross Edge has the distinction of being the only game I have because it was that terrible. I have refused to touch anything from that company since.

Because you haven't given Radiant Historia a try? Or maybe you're doing it wrong. It stands to reason I should shamelessly RE-plug Radiant Historia... Have you played this game?

It rekindled this gamer's love for the JRPG genre as a whole. Truly.

[quote name='icebeast']Actually you may be right, Unlimited SaGa was still funny enough to suffer through 2-3 hours. Cross Edge on the other hand was awful, there was no funny to be had just bad. I basically never trade games in, but Cross Edge has the distinction of being the only game I have because it was that terrible. I have refused to touch anything from that company since.[/QUOTE]

Actually Compile Heart made Cross Edge. Not that they are a much better developer as the reviews for Hyperdimension Neptunia are pretty bad so far

[quote name='62t']Actually Compile Heart made Cross Edge. Not that they are a much better developer as the reviews for Hyperdimension Neptunia are pretty bad so far[/QUOTE]

According to Wikipedia Idea Factory developed Cross Edge, Compile Heart was a publisher. (Same with Hyperdimension Neptunia).

[quote name='Guilty']Because you haven't given Radiant Historia a try? Or maybe you're doing it wrong. It stands to reason I should shamelessly RE-plug Radiant Historia... Have you played this game?

It rekindled this gamer's love for the JRPG genre as a whole. Truly.[/QUOTE]

That's the recent DS game where you travel in time through your own life or something? That does sound interesting.

Is it truly touch-screen free? Is the combat and item systems and stuff like that non-annoying?

It sounds like something I might pick up...

[quote name='icebeast']Unlimited SaGa would like to have a word with you.[/QUOTE]

Ugh. I never even TRIED that one after the Saga Frontier games.

What happened to that series? Saga 1-3 are awesome. Frontier is so terrible it's like only a competent developer could have put that much work into making it as terrible as possible, or something.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']... there's actually a game titled Hyperdimension Neptunia?

Wow.[/QUOTE]

So this is a game who's story is about a console war? Am I getting this right? That could be hilarious.

[quote name='Paco']Wouldn't that be everything Idea factory makes? To this day, I still have no idea how they stay in business.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, how the fuck could anyone even jokingly consider Enchanted Arms as one of the worst JRPGs this gen when we have Idea Factory shit to deal with?

And they stay in business because of loli pedos.

I'm looking at their release list on IGN, and I don't THINK I've played any of their games. I'm not sure I've ever even HEARD of any of their games...

oh yeah!! I remember another great RPG!!

Charles Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa

play it! love it! it is the greatest!

Is that real?!? That's just someone doing a funny dub, right?

That's so terrible it's great.

"I don't really want your twisted love, I really don't."

Oh frak, this just keeps going and going and going and going. I'm 2 minutes in, and this just keeps going...no one has said anything that even makes any sense, other than one character wants to take another characters Tenga, and the other one doesn't want him to give his loving....wait, man, to entertain myself I'm making all this dialog sexual :lol:

I think my brain melted

I can't confirm this but what I understand about Chaos Wars is that the budget was so low that they didn't have enough money to hire real voice actors. So the dev team got their family and kids to do the voice overs. From the sound of it I wouldn't doubt it.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Seriously, how the fuck could anyone even jokingly consider Enchanted Arms as one of the worst JRPGs this gen when we have Idea Factory shit to deal with?

And they stay in business because of loli pedos.[/QUOTE]

I thought
Aksys_games_logo2.png
already took that market?

[quote name='Rodimus']I can't confirm this but what I understand about Chaos Wars is that the budget was so low that they didn't have enough money to hire real voice actors. So the dev team got their family and kids to do the voice overs. From the sound of it I wouldn't doubt it.[/QUOTE]

They have to do that due to SCEA requiring all games to have English dub. The game included Japanese dub wit subtitle so it really wasn't a problem. I will take that versus having no voice acting at all.

So is that Radiant Historia something I'd really like? Someone on here mentioned it, and it DOES look intriguing to me. Don't want ANY touch controls though, or half assed implementation of normal controls (Glory of Hercules...)

[quote name='62t']They have to do that due to SCEA requiring all games to have English dub. The game included Japanese dub wit subtitle so it really wasn't a problem. I will take that versus having no voice acting at all.[/QUOTE]

That's getting a little draconian, although it's not the dumbest thing ever...the number of people I've heard complaining about letterboxed DVDs back in the day that it was "cutting off part of the picture"....

[quote name='Paco']I thought
Aksys_games_logo2.png
already took that market?[/QUOTE]

Aksys is a publisher, not a developer.

And yes, Charles Barkley RPG is an excellent game. Absolutely legally free to download and still better than pretty much any other JRPG that's come out in the past few years. Only problem is it's like 4 hours long.

Well it is a fan game so you can't really expect it to be that long.Wouldn't call it the best rpg in years but it's a pretty funny parody of the genre.

The main problem with most jrpgs is that their like 80 hours of boring ass grinding and stupid ass cut scenes. If square spent more time on making good gameplay then they do on making cutscenes, horrible dialog,stories and dumb ass character designs; well then their games would actually be pretty cool.

I thought you used a different word than "cut" and it was funnier :lol:

I like the story and stuff in the mainline FF series but that's only one game every few years, tops.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Aksys is a publisher, not a developer.

And yes, Charles Barkley RPG is an excellent game. Absolutely legally free to download and still better than pretty much any other JRPG that's come out in the past few years. Only problem is it's like 4 hours long.[/QUOTE]

Actually Aksys is BOTH. Aksys made Blazblue with 90% loli cast and Yaoi crew.

I just went and picked up Enchanted Arms to see if it was as good/bad as you say....this game is seriously the parody of the JRPG genre, it has everything from really bad voice actors to a boring story. This really is just a horrible game, I am taking it back for a refund

[quote name='Wolfpup']So is that Radiant Historia something I'd really like? Someone on here mentioned it, and it DOES look intriguing to me. Don't want ANY touch controls though, or half assed implementation of normal controls (Glory of Hercules...)[/QUOTE]
I don't know what half-assed implementation of normal controls means, but you can play the whole game with either normal controls or with the stylus and I've only played with the buttons for the 10 hours I've played so far. It controls like any normal RPG I've played.

[quote name='Paco']Actually Aksys is BOTH. Aksys made Blazblue with 90% loli cast and Yaoi crew.[/QUOTE]

think you're confusing Aksys with Arc System works - two seperate companies that work together frequently.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I don't know what half-assed implementation of normal controls means, but you can play the whole game with either normal controls or with the stylus and I've only played with the buttons for the 10 hours I've played so far. It controls like any normal RPG I've played.[/QUOTE]

Something like Glory of Hercules, where it can be used with buttons, but they always give descriptions based on the touch screen, and the interface both on screen and how you select stuff is much worse than it should be because of concessions for the touch screen.

Makes 8-bit RPGs look uber competent by comparison.

RPGs are my favorite genre. Its what I primarily play and bulks up my backlog. After playing a couple of RPG titles back-to-back, I may feel a little burnt out on the genre; therefore I try to mix-in playing other types of games in order to get a break from turn based combat to save the world.

As far as finding JRPG that are good, I think you'll need to turn to the last generation (PS2, PSone) or the handhelds (PSP, DS) for your fix.

JRPGs are for people that don't have the skill for real games(like FPS and shooters). The reason Japan makes them is because they suck at real games, lack the hand eye coordination or something. So they stick to easy turn based combat and pretend like it actually takes skill. At least in Korea they play Star Craft.

[quote name='X BRO 420']JRPGs are for people that don't have the skill for real games(like FPS and shooters). The reason Japan makes them is because they suck at real games, lack the hand eye coordination or something. So they stick to easy turn based combat and pretend like it actually takes skill. At least in Korea they play Star Craft.[/QUOTE]

Would these be the same people... who are amazing at fighting games and shmups? Or are those not real games either? Last I checked, both genres require quite a bit of skill and hand eye coordination.

Now troll on somewhere else.

Well this has NOT been my week :lol:

Was playing Suikoden 1, and gave up out of just sort of semi-bordem (if I had nothing else to play I'd push forward...but I have over 100 games in the backlog and plenty more to buy).

Then started up my shiny new :psp: Tactics Ogre, and promptly got stuck within a few missions.

Then started my shiny new :psp: Y's 1 & 2 Chronicles. Obviously a WAY better remake than the DS version, which was in 3D (DS 3D....) and which completely altered how the combat worked, thus kind of killing the uniqueness of it.

Anyway this is in 2D, has two alternate modes for how I guess close ups of characters look, AND three music tracks, including a new one, and the original 1988 PC music (which it turns out is by that Sega Music Guy, so is a LOT better than you'd think hearing "1988 music")....and the controls are more or less like the original... (I played Y's Book 1 & 2 on the TurboDuo back 20 years ago and liked it.)

I THINK this soundtrack is worse, but who knows...it's been 20 years. That seemed even more real sounding though...I think...maybe.

Anyway there's nothing wrong with it and it's still kind of unique, but dang, blah-blah-blah go the villagers. I don't care, villagers. I don't know...I played it for hours, got a new sword and armor...maybe I'll keep going, but am I having fun? I don't know.

Still have Disgea 1 :psp:, Dragon Quest 9, and Golden Sun 3...I really liked Golden Sun 1 and 2, so if I don't even have the patience for that anymore I may be screwed :lol:

The really sad thing is I liked where they were going with gameplay but they fucked it up. If they had tuned it up I would've really liked it. I mean the way enemies will quickly attack you without even giving you a chance to combo roll here and there. If they fixed that and made the enemy attacks more random in when they'd attack you I'd be in.
Seriously Unlimited SaGa had the chance to be good, if not very good.

For me the last GREAT rpg I plays has to go all the way back to KOTOR 1 and 2. They were just so awesome.

You could always dust off your SNES and play through Earthbound again, that always works for me

[quote name='Wolfpup']Something like Glory of Hercules, where it can be used with buttons, but they always give descriptions based on the touch screen, and the interface both on screen and how you select stuff is much worse than it should be because of concessions for the touch screen.

Makes 8-bit RPGs look uber competent by comparison.[/QUOTE]

Says the dude giving FF3 DS big smiles.

[quote name='Guilty']Says the dude giving FF3 DS big smiles.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean. FF3 doesn't do anything to the interface weird that I can remember.

you got bored because you've already walked the line. the gimmicks implemented at first becomes interesting but it becomes boring and cliched after awhile as others copy and implement the same ideas.

look at all the zelda clones, from zelda a link to the past to ocarina of time, all the concepts and ideas were fresh when they were introduced by nintendo. but now, all the games that use their ideas are boring because it's been done before that everything becomes obvious and boring.

i also find it that you have to put time into the game, which becomes boring. games today are based on how much you put time into it. i find that you got tired of having to put so much time into a game. i have played final fantasy 7 and never fully finished the game because it takes forever.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']you got bored because you've already walked the line. the gimmicks implemented at first becomes interesting but it becomes boring and cliched after awhile as others copy and implement the same ideas.

look at all the zelda clones, from zelda a link to the past to ocarina of time, all the concepts and ideas were fresh when they were introduced by nintendo. but now, all the games that use their ideas are boring because it's been done before that everything becomes obvious and boring.[/QUOTE]

That may be it or part of it. I've seen so many storise (just in general, not even just in games) that I'm super jaded about a lot of stuff. And with RPGs, its such a time sync, and when I go "oh geez, now I have to go get the mirror fragment to trigger the quest for the frog leg to get the park bench, to get the key to the forbidden house"...it just starts feeling like...I mean just give it all to me linearly, don't make me hunt around for the next trigger point.

Thing is I can play very average FPS...like Haze, Turning Point, Dark Void, Terminator? I liked all those fine-would give them 3/5 on the Netflix scale. Maybe because they're short and you don't have to hunt around, you just go go go. Maybe because the stories are better IMO than most JRPGs...I don't know, but I can stomache a middling FPS just fine, but not a JRPG...so I don't know what's up with that.

Weird that I've gotten so much LESS patient as I've aged :lol:. Instant gratification, damn it!

[quote name='JEKKI']I still needa play this game too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkaTiBHPiw8[/QUOTE]

Yes! That's not real is it? That guy did some serious work. I'd totally play that, except you know what's pathetic? I'D STILL be worried it's too annoying! Like to be funny, just enter a new area in a more or less linear path, and have some idiotic guy just run up and give you his quest and shoot you out the village again-do it funny, don't make me search for the trigger point. (Ugh, I have zero patience for point and click adventure games either as you might have guessed...save for Riven, at least back in the day.)

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']i also find it that you have to put time into the game, which becomes boring. games today are based on how much you put time into it. i find that you got tired of having to put so much time into a game. i have played final fantasy 7 and never fully finished the game because it takes forever.[/QUOTE]

Sakaguchi's games I can do, but yeah, whereas a long game used to seem like a bonus for me, now I feel like "oooooh" when I start one. Most of the time most of the game feels like filler-I'd rather get in get out and have it all be fresh...which conveniently is how a lot of game design is now. It's super rare a long game can keep me enthralled the whole time anymore.

I think I can still do Sakaguchi...Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey still worked for me as of a few years back. Mass Effect (or Bioshock or Dead Space, or...) I could keep going if that game was 4x longer, so long as every single bit is as fast paced and important seeming as the stuff that's in there. As soon as I start having to deliver the waffle iron pin to the shopkeep for the deck of cards to give the security guard to get in to the apparment with the secret note, which the singer in the bar wants, in trade for a toe nail clipper that I have to give to the ambasador, so he'll give me a pass to the sewer system, where I get the telephone cable, which I need to...

AAAAAAARGH! Just let me fucking swing my big-ass sword at the bad guy's head! :lol:

bread's done
Back