Wii $250 - Nov 19th - The Nintendo 2-Day Press Event Thread!

9:50 am: The second component of the Mii concept is transporting your Miis elsewhere, since they're stored on your remote. Head to a friend's house, play tennis with your controller, and you'll see your Mii pop right up in the game.
Now we're getting a demo of the photo channel, which is a pretty standard photo viewer. The most impressive thing here is how quickly Bill is navigating the photos with the Wii remote, which works like a mouse. You can also view videos through this thing, even adding mosaic effects or turning the video into a slide puzzle. That'll be handy for blurring out the faces of ex-girlfriends.

Video playback off SD cards, looks like.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']I"m not upset about the pricing of the system, I think it's what was expected. Wii get a game as well as the setup which is cool.

My only bitch is the price of the Wiimote and Nunchuk attachment. If I read it right, buying both will set you back $60 which is in-fucking-sane. So you're telling me that in order to get an additional 3 Wiimotes (at $40 a piece) I have to fork out almost 1/2 of what I paid for the system? That's .... wrong.[/QUOTE]
I will agree here though! That is freaking crazy. And I was complaining about the wireless 360 controllers being $40 used!

[quote name='dothog']Manufacturer's Note:
Both *together* and *fun* will require additional controllers and accessories not included with the Wii.[/QUOTE]

Good thing the alternative consoles come packaged with additional controllers...

I'm glad we got confirmation of Zelda at launch. That cinches it for me. I'll pre-ordering at EB as soon as it's available. $50 makes no difference to me.

P.S. I DO think that 5 bucks for NES titles is ridiculous, but 8 bucks for SNES and 10 for N64 games sounds reasonable. Beats the hell out of paying $60+ for Super Mario RPG on ebay.

[quote name='botticus']9:44 am: Now we're getting slides of the Wii Channels interface, which lets you start up a Wii or GameCube disc, as well as hitting the "Wii Shop Channel" to buy older games for the Virtual Console (and look for Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 at launch). After launch, Nintendo is estimating around 10 new games a month to be available.

At least it's 100 points = $1, pretty straightforward. And like I said before, if you pay with cash, there's no discount. With points, you can probably use coupons, find sales, etc on point cards.[/quote]

Exactly. At least I don't have to do conversions in my head (like the 360).

can someone explain to me Metroid Prime 3? Did I miss something? Is it still under the launch lineup?

[quote name='Reginator']Q: How much are the remotes?

A: Wii remote is $39.99 and the nunchuck attachment is $19.99.

Q: What's up with Zelda for GameCube?

A: Zelda GameCube launches on December 11.[/QUOTE]

Boo and hiss.

This is the "nickel-and-dime our customers to death" generation of gaming. Maybe we should all get together and create a console to take all these bastards out. It will be $25 USD but cost $799.99 in Europe.

60 for a combo controller is insane, first is the price, second is the fact that its like 2 SKUs. It just makes it more complicated for the newbie gamer/parent.

Wii connects through wifi or wired internet connection

Third party titles may be priced higher then 49.99, it is up to them. All first party games are widescreen

4 million units by Dec 31, 6 million by end of fiscal year in march

that link takes you to EBgames home page...(I dont think specific links are working for them right now)

I think it's lame that we have to buy Opera to surf the web. Since it'll be in my bedroom anyway, I'll just use my computer thanks.

Plus, with the $250 price point, that means a lot less I'm willing to spend on VC stuff now.ß

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']60 for a combo controller is insane, first is the price, second is the fact that its like 2 SKUs. It just makes it more complicated for the newbie gamer/parent.[/quote]

Dude...350 controllers cost fifty bucks so it's not that insane. The dualy SKU thing is pretty retarded though. I bet within three months they'll be offering a bundle. I think Nintendo is aiming pretty squarely at all the 'casual' gamers who are only going to be playing Wii sports etc. and won't need or want the chuck. I'm guessing 90% of casual games won't even merit it.

[quote name='twiztidjester']Wii connects through wifi or wired internet connection

Third party titles may be priced higher then 49.99, it is up to them. All first party games are widescreen

4 million units by Dec 31, 6 million by end of fiscal year in march[/quote]
Wired, eh? Did they throw an ethernet jack in there?

[quote name='twiztidjester']Wii connects through wifi or wired internet connection

4 million units by Dec 31, 6 million by end of fiscal year in march[/QUOTE]
no ebaying the wii like I will be doing the PS3! Not that Im complaining because ebaying consoles stresses me out.

Isn't Opera a free download on the PC?

Oh, and the price STILL sucks. If they offered a $200 version w/o Wii Sports, I'd buy it, since Wii Sports should be the first Wii game to go under $20.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']60 for a combo controller is insane, first is the price, second is the fact that its like 2 SKUs. It just makes it more complicated for the newbie gamer/parent.[/quote]

$60 is nuts. So, if I want to play 4 person games on my Wii, it'll cost $250 (system) + $60*3 = $430. Unless most multiplayer games only use the remote (which still seems overpriced IMO).

I can't believe they wont just allow game for some 480p support at least and they didn't say anything about online games.

Will the DS and Wii be interoperable? "You'll be hearing more in the future about that," says Kaplan. Nothing today though.

It's official: Metroid Prime 3 is now a "2007" title.

isnt it a american made game and isnt jpn getting it at launch

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']Metroid Prime 3 2007[/QUOTE]
just read that. That honestly ruins my respect a little for Nintendo, since they PROMISED us Zelda and Metroid for launch. Freaking gay.

[quote name='jeffreyjrose']$60 is nuts. So, if I want to play 4 person games on my Wii, it'll cost $250 (system) + $60*3 = $430. Unless most multiplayer games only use the remote (which still seems overpriced IMO).[/quote]
I'll just be snagging the one controller off the bat. Wait for some retail sales to get another two.

I guess the reason I'm not really upset is because I can walk out of EB with a Wii, two complete controller sets, Wii Sports, Zelda: TP and another game of my choice for $410 + tax. Meaning I can go home and start playing a multiplayer game for the same cost that it would take me to grab a 360 off the shelf with its single controller and nothing to play.

[quote name='jeffreyjrose']$60 is nuts. So, if I want to play 4 person games on my Wii, it'll cost $250 (system) + $60*3 = $430. Unless most multiplayer games only use the remote (which still seems overpriced IMO).[/quote]

$60 for the complete controller is kind of high but as someone already pointed out, the 360 controllers are $50 each. Considering that we don't need to buy a $20-$30 memory card at launch, I guess I can stomach paying an additional $110 at launch (Zelda plus another controller combo for the wife).

It is interesting that it says the Wii connects via Wi-Fi or ethernet. I wonder if there is an ethernet jack or if it is an add-on? There was no mention of having to purchase a USB dongle or anything like that.

[quote name='twiztidjester']Zelda TP - Launches for GameCube on December 11th, Zelda for Wii first day[/quote]

This is a pretty bastardly move on Nintendo's part. A game that was orginally slated for a Gamecube launch and then delayed to also be ported onto the Wii, now releases almost 1 month later than the Wii version??? Come on...

[quote name='botticus']I'll just be snagging the one controller off the bat. Wait for some retail sales to get another two.

I guess the reason I'm not really upset is because I can walk out of EB with a Wii, two complete controller sets, Wii Sports, Zelda: TP and another game of my choice for $410 + tax. Meaning I can go home and start playing a multiplayer game for the same cost that it would take me to grab a 360 off the shelf with its single controller and nothing to play.[/quote]Yeah , but the 360 power will run circles around the wii totally different kind of thing and at moment you can get 360 on sale for 350.00 which I seen tons of. And what 10% discount?

Huh.

It looks like this is going to go a lot like the DS launch. US first for the machine but Japan gets a cavalcade of hot shit afterwards. I can't say I'm too surprised by all of this although I was really pulling for a second controller to be put in the box. It looks like I'll be dropping about $500 at launch or so. Not too shabby.

[quote name='botticus']I'll just be snagging the one controller off the bat. Wait for some retail sales to get another two.

I guess the reason I'm not really upset is because I can walk out of EB with a Wii, two complete controller sets, Wii Sports, Zelda: TP and another game of my choice for $410 + tax. Meaning I can go home and start playing a multiplayer game for the same cost that it would take me to grab a 360 off the shelf with its single controller and nothing to play.[/QUOTE]
This might be a good time to get a target credit card! I will be buying the same amount as you, but with the credit card, I can save %10 at least.

Didnt they promise zelda to be a launch title? That is bullshit.

But anyways, i agree with a lot of you guys. The 249.99 is not to high, its just everything else that is fucking overpriced. Since they are making money on the console, they should not price the controller at 60 fucking dollars.

When it comes down to the bottom line, I'm still getting it at launch, Zelda: TP is more than enough to tide me over and then theres those other games I"ll get around to checking out like Red Steel and Super Monkey Ball.

Luckily my friend is getting a system too so I don't need to get a controller/nunchuck for him. If my roommates get jealous...well, they can buy their own controllers :O

bread's done
Back