Wii: A Great Console This Generation (edit)

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']My two favorite games this generation have been hands down Mario Galaxy and No More Heroes, so I do like my Wii.

Overall I think I like the PS3 better. Not because of the games, but the overall functionality of it (the 160gb HD, netflix HD, rechargeable controllers, free online and no friend codes, PS3 to PSP integration of games, etc). Actually wait, I think the other reason I like the PS3 better is they actually fucking release classic games on it frequently. It's been how long and still no fucking Pilotwings 64, Earthbound (yes I know they have copyright issues but still), and some other games. Not trying to say the Wii sucks because it's still a fantastic system and I love my Wii, but it seems like Nintendo is trying to shaft us loyal virtual console users.[/QUOTE]

The biggest drawbacks on the Wii is lack of HD and batteries. It doesn't ruin the system for me, but I feel it's a serious blemish.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']At least Nintendo won't ban you for putting some emulators on your Wii[/QUOTE]

Honestly, they wouldn't be banning you from much. Plus, companies have a right to stop emulation of their games. I'll stop there. Don't want to offset this thread.

I think any "Wii doesn't completely suck" threads will get at least a few fanboys trying to derail it.

On topic:
I agree about the VC releases. They've switched mainly to supporting Wiiware, which does have a few great titles, but there are still tons of VC games that can be released.
They just released Faxanadu though, so that made it better. Still waiting on The Guardian Legend and Tiger Heli...

Wii the console definitely isn't the best hardware/controller wise.

Game wise, its definitely been the best for me, 1st and 3rd party. If I could get RDR and Batman Arkham Asylum on Wii I'd probably be in heaven.

[quote name='omster']The biggest drawbacks on the Wii is lack of HD and batteries. It doesn't ruin the system for me, but I feel it's a serious blemish.[/QUOTE]

Batteries a blemish? Actually, I think it is a plus, because it gives me the option of using off-the-shelf rechargeable AA batteries, which I have plenty of. Also, if it runs down, I can just switch the batteries.

For me, it is more convenient than trying to find a USB slot to plug a PS3 controller into.

[quote name='Blade']
3. Online gaming is unnecessary if you have friends that live near you and can just come over. If you don't have friends that can come over and play Mario Kart with you, then I feel bad for you.

[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Corvin']
:lol: Seriously? This is completely untrue. Can you have friends come over on the drop of a hat at 10:30 pm on a Tuesday? Some of us are married with kids and in turn have friends that are married with kids. Online play has been a godsend for playing together and chatting. Is it the same as getting together and talking smack while we play? Of course not, but condemning online gaming because you prefer the living room multiplayer experience is naive.[/QUOTE]

this. my best friend is married with three kids, and now lives on the other side of the state, when we want to play it needs to be online.

also who the hell wants to play mario kart or any other game in split screen. really dude split screen sucks.

[quote name='Blade']3. Online gaming is unnecessary if you have friends that live near you and can just come over. If you don't have friends that can come over and play Mario Kart with you, then I feel bad for you.
[/QUOTE]

How much do you pity me? Are you going to move near me and come over? I want to play kirby 2 player too

[quote name='bsesb2003']I have all three and I play the 360 is on quite often, the PS3 once and a while, and the Wii practically never.[/QUOTE]

Mines playing the ps3 almost always. Wii on some and 360 is back in the box. :lol:

I am going to go on a rant here because I am sick and tired of seeing articles about the Wii's demise or how bad it sucks or how bad the online is on it. Here is from someone who plays the Wii everyday and not 1 or two hours a week. At least I can give an honest opinion of the system and pros and cons. And yes, I own all three consoles so you can put your arguments to rest.
All 3 consoles have their plus and minuses. The Wii is the one I play the most and I am about to get rid of the other 2. Here is why: Hackers, Cheaters, Aimbots, and the like on the other two. The elitism on Xbox360 and PS3 stinks to high hell playing on line. I agree that playing offline is the better route if you have friends around. The Wii online has been sorely badmouthed. Either no one has truly played online with the Wii for any length of time and not played the system in its entirety. The Black Ops on Wii is just as good if you keep an open mind and become a graphics whore playing it. The gameplay on BLOPS on Wii is still one of the best and if you don't thinks so, you need to visit it sometime.
The Wii has many titles out for it and the people complain there is nothing new coming out for it this year and the title releases are sparse. Hey gamer, there are 948 titles for Wii that you haven't played. They also say there is no great titles on the Wii. I don't understand where this is coming from either. And the complaints from the elitists about motion controls. It is hit and miss on some titles, but spot on and intuitive in many titles. You are just used to the PS3 and Xbox360 controller and have a hard time adjusting to new controls. Wrap your head around it a few times and you may acutally prefer it better, especially some FPS.
The PS3 and Xbox360 has one thing that the wii doesn't, that is HD gaming. This is where the wii shows its age and limitations. But gameplay wise, each system has its great games and its absolute stinkers.
The Wii has plenty of games and plenty of titles to keep everyone busy. But gamers anymore move on title to title weekly and we have gotten use to having new releases all the time. But do we really need new titles and let the other 900+ games that were made just sit there.
The articles about the Wii dying and the system running dry is just bad journalism. The fact is the Wii is still selling, people are still buying games for the system, and innovative titles are coming out for it. The Move and Kinect are also a true testament to the Wii's dominance in gaming.

The problem with the Wii is that it relies too heavily on 1st party games to deliver. This creates huge gaps between good games because the developers simply can't product quality games as quickly as consumers demand it.

I love the Wii, but PS3 is clearly the best.. it kinda sucked in the beginning, but it easily has the best quality (and quantity) of games as well as the most multimedia function

[quote name='xmbri']The Wii online has been sorely badmouthed. Either no one has truly played online with the Wii for any length of time and not played the system in its entirety. [/QUOTE]

So you honestly think the Wii online experience, friend codes and all, is comparable to what the 360 and PS3 have to offer?

[quote name='Corvin']So you honestly think the Wii online experience, friend codes and all, is comparable to what the 360 and PS3 have to offer?[/QUOTE]

I don't think he said that, did he?

[quote name='SuperPhillip']I don't think he said that, did he?[/QUOTE]
No, but the "badmouthing" is a natural result of people comparing the Wii online experience to that of the PS3/360. Corvin's just skipping a step to get to the issue directly.

What makes it worse is that there is effectively no online experience for the "new" gamers (e.g. Wii bowling leagues in old folks' homes) that Nintendo tapped into with the Wii. They don't have the wherewithal to follow the layers of abstraction -- via friend codes, etc. -- to connect one person with another. It's not an online box for most of its user base, or rather the user base that Nintendo was bragging about in the early going.

It's a shame because had they gone after a sensible online experience for those Wii Sports folks, who knows what might have come of the Wii Shop, or future iterations of Wii Sports, or Wii Speak. I mean, connecting grandparents with grandkids a few states away so they can bowl and chat together online? You play that bullshit on an infinite loop the way Apple does the deaf/signing Face Time ads, the media will absolutely eat that up the way they did clips of old farts in bowling shirts with Wiimote in hand.

I tried to assist a few family members in connecting online to race in Mario Kart, it was a huge pain in the ass. Then with the one that succeeded, we're setting up a room, and it's just the two of us, and we couldn't hear or see the other without a simultaneous cell phone call. It was just dumb, it was a stupid, cheap, stupid experience.

That's just one disappointment of the overall Wii experience. They were way in front of a trend with motion control, like it or not. However, they missed a lot of easy opportunities to front-run in areas (online play, Wii Shop) that could use a front runner, because though the 360 and PS3 have an online experience, it could be greatly improved.

Maybe I should say that the disappointment is that Nintendo clearly has people smart enough to make online better, make it more accessible and enjoyable, but it isn't an R&D priority for them the way motion control was. They make hardware, and they sell the dick out of it. They don't make software (such as that needed to open online play to "new" gamers) unless it's iterations on old favorites.

The "online Wii experience" isn't as bad as most people suggest... but there are three things sorely missing:

(1) consolidated system friend codes or online user ids - forcing friends to enter separate codes for each game was a terrible terrible idea
(2) useful voice chat implementation - WiiSpeak doesn't work particularly well and was rarely supported anyway; playing online without communication with friends is much less enjoyable
(3) easy way to see when your friends are playing online (or at least, online-enabled) games from the home page - hopefully eliminating some of the need to pre-arrange all online meetups

On one hand, I'm not sure if it would've been worthwhile for Nintendo to have a strong online presence anyway given how casually-marketed the console is. On the other hand, my parents and siblings are all online with their Wii consoles... and if my dad can get online then anyone can.

Maybe next time around they'll do things better. I'm mostly happy with the 3DS online capabilities. Surely their next console won't be worse.

From a online gaming perspective, it is as bad as people suggest. You enumerate exactly why it is that bad.

1. Can't connect easily
2. Can't communicate
3. Can't connect with friends

So it's tough to connect, once you are connected there's no way of finding the people you want to game with, and provided you're lucky enough to be gaming with friends, you have no way of chatting with them in the game.

This isn't hand waving, I've tried to guide neophytes through the Wii online experience and their immediate reaction was, "Eh, this is confusing, I'll just bowl instead." There's nothing to the experience that is reaching out to Everyone, the inaccessibility of it excludes those new gamers automatically.

There's no getting around how bad the Wii is for online gaming, it's barely worth mentioning as a feature given its limitations. It's the DS online experience without any real upgrades. It doesn't even belong to this generation of game consoles, it's much closer to the PS2/DC experience from 12 years ago.

It's such a glaring fault that it makes a joke of this thread title and responses half-heartedly defending the Wii's online play. Sure, online isn't everything, but in this generation of consoles, it's not nothing, either. And the Wii misses online entirely in all the ways that matter (the 3 you indicated above).

I've always been a pretty strong Nintendo fanboy at heart. I love the Nintendo franchises and always love how they ~usually~ take a different approach to systems/handhelds.

But the Wii.. was too much hype, and not enough to back it up. Early on when the Wii came out, I would defend it. I would defend the fact that the Wii JUST came out -- good games will come. They never came. Yeah, there's a handful of GREAT/EXCELLENT/SUPERB games.. but we're talking 5 years now. It will be 5 years come November. FIVE years and what do we have? The virtual console was a fantastic idea and that became a letdown. WiiWare was something that could have been awesome, too, and yet that became a letdown.

They release a console with 512mb. Really? It took them like 3 years to allow us to use our SD cards.. for those of us who were stupid to buy a ton of VC/WiiWare games to show them "HEY! We support this! Keep doing what you're doing!"

I know EVERY console has shovelware and sometimes you get a really good piece of shovelware. The Wii, IMO, had an insane amount of shovelware. Sooooo many games require to just.. shake the controller to do something. You don't even have to do it the correct way, just move the controller. It's kind of frustrating.

I just feel tired of "waiting" for things to change. They never did.
Although "motion" and "fitness" may be a thing of the future of games, the Wii did most of these pretty awful. Of all the fitness games out, I'd have to say that Gold's Gym Cardio Work out was the best. EA Active 1 was OK, too. IMO? Dance Dance Revolution is still one of the best cardio games out there. Dance Central for the 360 is right up there as well.

[quote name='lilboo']

But the Wii.. was too much hype, and not enough to back it up. Early on when the Wii came out, I would defend it. I would defend the fact that the Wii JUST came out -- good games will come. They never came. Yeah, there's a handful of GREAT/EXCELLENT/SUPERB games.. but we're talking 5 years now. It will be 5 years come November. FIVE years and what do we have? The virtual console was a fantastic idea and that became a letdown. WiiWare was something that could have been awesome, too, and yet that became a letdown.

They release a console with 512mb. Really? It took them like 3 years to allow us to use our SD cards.. for those of us who were stupid to buy a ton of VC/WiiWare games to show them "HEY! We support this! Keep doing what you're doing!"

I know EVERY console has shovelware and sometimes you get a really good piece of shovelware. The Wii, IMO, had an insane amount of shovelware. Sooooo many games require to just.. shake the controller to do something. You don't even have to do it the correct way, just move the controller. It's kind of frustrating.

I just feel tired of "waiting" for things to change. They never did.
Although "motion" and "fitness" may be a thing of the future of games, the Wii did most of these pretty awful. Of all the fitness games out, I'd have to say that Gold's Gym Cardio Work out was the best. EA Active 1 was OK, too. IMO? Dance Dance Revolution is still one of the best cardio games out there. Dance Central for the 360 is right up there as well.[/QUOTE]
I agree. I love Nintendo, and I day one buy their products because I am pretty much a whore fro them but the Wii, yeah. The VC was a huge letdown. There was so much potential but what did we get from it? I am still waiting for Pilotwings 64 and don't tell me in almost five years you can't fucking release it. There are other games people are waiting for as well and in five years don't tell me you can't fucking release those games. On the other end of the spectrum, tell me how many fucking aweful WiiWare games get released. It's seriously we see like 10 bad WiiWare games to one decent one.

Another point was the memory issue. Not allowing SD cards even though it was just an update was fucking bullshit. I mean the Wii doesn't need gigs of storage but to just limit how much a user can have on the system to 512 MB when you have a shop. Really?

Plus the Wii is the king if shovelware. Jeep Thrills, Ninjabread Man, etc and QVC was even selling the system with shovelware. I mean dear god, you know you have tons of crap on the system if they are selling bundles with them included.

Also yes this motion control crap has to stop. No I do not want to shake the controller if it's the same thing as a button press. I want my motion controls to give me something that is not about pressing buttons, like Zelda is FINALLY doing after 5 years now.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']
Also yes this motion control crap has to stop. No I do not want to shake the controller if it's the same thing as a button press. I want my motion controls to give me something that is not about pressing buttons, like Zelda is FINALLY doing after 5 years now.[/QUOTE]

I don't mind the concept of motion controls. Well, real ones. When they finally released the Wii Motion Plus (which we all know should have been IN the controller since launch..), it almost made things hopeful. To be honest, Wii Sports Resorts is pretty good because of the sorta 1:1 motion. Yet this has been out for what, 2 years now? How many awesome Motion Plus games do we have? It just seems like a wasted opportunity.

I also have a Kinect and although I can't say I'm a huge fan of it, it def works better than the Motion Plus. The problem with Kinect, is that every game that uses motion should not be some kind of workout game or some kind hidden workout game -- meaning it uses so much of our energy we are exhausted by playing. I welcome the future of motion controls.. but done right. Mario Kart Wii is a good example of a game being actually FUN with motion controller and it doesn't show a calorie count.

I did forget to add something to my previous post: The Miis and the channels. At first when they came out with the corny but kinda amusing "Everyone Votes" channel (or whatever it was called), there seemed to be potential in these channels. I think that was the most amusing one.. and all it was, was a voting app. That's it. The weather and news where cool if for some reason you had your Wii one and didn't want to look at your PC...lol But why in almost 5 years did we not get anything cool? We had a limited time channel for Metroid Prime. THAT showed potential and THAT was cool. Yet, as far as I know.. that was the only one of it's kind??

Then there's the Miis. They seem to have been everywhere and in a ton of games including some 3rd party games. They were amusing at best.. but we never did receive any kind of update to them? Never any clothes? or styles? ...anything? Even if they were lame and charged us like MS does with their avatars at LEAST we could say they were trying to improve.

Ugh. Just ugh.

[quote name='lilboo']I don't mind the concept of motion controls. Well, real ones. When they finally released the Wii Motion Plus (which we all know should have been IN the controller since launch..), it almost made things hopeful. To be honest, Wii Sports Resorts is pretty good because of the sorta 1:1 motion. Yet this has been out for what, 2 years now? How many awesome Motion Plus games do we have? It just seems like a wasted opportunity.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I like the idea of motion controls. It's just no one fucking uses them properly. I have not bought a Wii Motion Plus since the thing was release since no one uses it which in theory almost 1:1 motion is exactly what I want in the Wii.

Metroid Prime 3 got it perfect. I am sure Wii Sports Resort got it good. Why can't more games follow this trend.

Wii Motion Plus is an improvement, but it's still not really good enough. It gets out of calibration way too easily. Which I guess is what's supposed to be better about PS3 Move, but I can't tell you if that's really better or not as I don't have a PS3, nor Move. Point is, there's plenty of room for improvement. I think they're going to have a tough time competing with Kinect, though. Unless, of course, they make their own variation on the theme. Perhaps a Kinect-like 3D camera, but with a better then WM+ remote controller supplementing it. Whatever, I'm excited to see what they show at E3.

I own a Wii and it has made a beautiful decorative addition to my living room. Honestly Nintendo is so out of touch with what real gamers want they will never catch up. I realize kids are the target audience for Nintendo but ditch the gimmicky shit and keep up with the rest of the pack (i.e 1080P graphics, 60 Frames Per Second, Multi Platform Titles that don't suck, Good Third Party Exclusives). Also they screwed up Mario Kart which is one of the Nintedo games I have always cared about. Just say no to Nintendo!

[quote name='omster']Anyone else out there feel the same?[/QUOTE]

No, the Wii is among the worst consoles ever released IMO. Sold with the waggle gimmick to lure in casuals/kids, horribly underpowered hardware (upgraded Gamecube with motion controls basically), can't even output HD, tons of shovelware games that are not worth even $5 each. It is a dismal failure for the real gaming community, and even for 3rd parties its a bust because all the casuals don't buy games at anywhere near the level of dedicated gamers.

@MrKing: At the Kinect comment? I do think that Microsoft one-upped them and they ought to counter it in their next console. Have you played Kinect? It's darned impressive and fun. It has some areas needing improvement too, but overall it's pretty amazing what it does. But, yeah, I'm sure the Wii successor will sell great regardless, and I'll be one of the buyers.

I edited this into my original post, but here it is again:

With hindsight, I realize it was careless of me to say it was the best console this generation. It is not that I changed my and decided I enjoyed the PS3 more. It is because the fact I have proclaimed that it is the best system, I feel pressured from within that I need to like and play more games on it.

At that point I would no longer be playing games for fun. It would be only so that I can continue to prove to myself that I was right to satisfy a hungry ego. This of course would only lead down a miserable road.

Video games, needless to say, are not the only situation where one can fall into this vile trap, but I am not really going to go into that. Moral of the story, don't let something that should be fun become something that makes you miserable. If you enjoy something, just say that. If not, don't diss the game. It just was not for you.

I had good times with the Wii and I feel it was a great console this generation. Plain and simple. (Hence the title change from "Best Console" to "Great Console")

Please pardon my silliness for creating this thread.

[quote name='barchi01']I own a Wii and it has made a beautiful decorative addition to my living room. Honestly Nintendo is so out of touch with what real gamers want they will never catch up. I realize kids are the target audience for Nintendo but ditch the gimmicky shit and keep up with the rest of the pack (i.e 1080P graphics, 60 Frames Per Second, Multi Platform Titles that don't suck, Good Third Party Exclusives). Also they screwed up Mario Kart which is one of the Nintedo games I have always cared about. Just say no to Nintendo![/QUOTE]
I mean I have come to realize that I am not getting any good multiplatform games but I am fine with that. I don't buy a Nintendo system as a replacement for a PS3. Now with that said, they do need HD. I am not a graphics guy who will complain about bad graphics but I do own a HDTV and well the non HDness of the Wii can be very noticable at times. Not that it hinders the games but more so it would just be nice to have HD.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I mean I have come to realize that I am not getting any good multiplatform games but I am fine with that. I don't buy a Nintendo system as a replacement for a PS3. Now with that said, they do need HD. I am not a graphics guy who will complain about bad graphics but I do own a HDTV and well the non HDness of the Wii can be very noticable at times. Not that it hinders the games but more so it would just be nice to have HD.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. The Wii was pretty much rejected from the get go by developers, so lack of 3rd party titles was a big hit on the system. The fact that it doesn't have HD or high graphics probably only worsened matters.

The overwhelming majority of the best games this generation were the multiplatform titles. If the Wii had these games as well, it would pretty much be complete.

My favorite first party titles + my favorite third party titles = Ultimate Combo!

I just remembered Wii Music. Remember the E3 presentation, where the Nintendo folks are "playing" Wii Music in front of everyone? The trolls need to abandon this "3rd party support" tack and just loop the E3 Wii Music demo. There's no stronger argument for Wii failure out there than that footage.

Yeah Wii Music was the low point of Nintendo's releases.

It is an impressive bit of code, but it just isnt fun. Still I cant fault Nintendo for trying, its clear many of them love classical music and wanted to find a way to bring that to the masses.

[quote name='dothog']I just remembered Wii Music. Remember the E3 presentation, where the Nintendo folks are "playing" Wii Music in front of everyone? The trolls need to abandon this "3rd party support" tack and just loop the E3 Wii Music demo. There's no stronger argument for Wii failure out there than that footage.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='chimpmeister']Wow, I forgot about Wii Music . . . lol.
[/QUOTE]

cause you know, no other console has ever had a really shitty first party release. :roll:

----

Wii motion plus has had like 3 decent games. I think by the time they released it, the third party developers were just fed up with nintendo. So nobody went out of their way to do any serious development. I mean, who can blame them. The kids playing Imagine Party Babyz don't really give a shit about 1:1 motion.

I still love it for Tiger Woods though. And with Flingsmash going for $30 on amazon last fall, upgrading to WM+ was basically free.

So if the pics of Cafe are to be believed, where does the motion stuff go? How are you gonna play Tiger Woods with that big ass controller?

Give me a break, it's a huge stinker. This isn't some failed game they tried to sweep under the rug. They featured this POS, they allocated a huge chunk of their E3 presentation to a first-party title that literally HAD NO CONTROLS.

It's the gaming equivalent of a 3-year-old sitting in the Pole Position booth at the arcade and moving the wheel along with the "INSERT COIN" demo on the screen. I understand that they're aiming for the so-called casuals, but even casuals know that the way it goes is you move the controller, and the magical gnomes in the controller and TV make the video game mirror your button press, waggle, whatever.

Wii Music does what it do whether the gamer's there or not. The only influence the gamer has is whether the game occasionally farts out an off-key piano/xylophone note. That is dumb. I'm ashamed I gave it such a pass the first time around.

People go on and on about 3rd party support, but what about first party support? Nintendo released Wii Music ON PURPOSE. It wasn't leaked. They sold that bullshit in stores.

Wii Music was an embarrassment and their featuring it at E3 even more so, but it's still just one game. Are you trying to say that Super Mario Galaxy 2 sucked because Wii Music was terrible?

[quote name='dothog']Give me a break, it's a huge stinker. This isn't some failed game they tried to sweep under the rug. They featured this POS, they allocated a huge chunk of their E3 presentation to a first-party title that literally HAD NO CONTROLS.

It's the gaming equivalent of a 3-year-old sitting in the Pole Position booth at the arcade and moving the wheel along with the "INSERT COIN" demo on the screen. I understand that they're aiming for the so-called casuals, but even casuals know that the way it goes is you move the controller, and the magical gnomes in the controller and TV make the video game mirror your button press, waggle, whatever.

Wii Music does what it do whether the gamer's there or not. The only influence the gamer has is whether the game occasionally farts out an off-key piano/xylophone note. That is dumb. I'm ashamed I gave it such a pass the first time around.

People go on and on about 3rd party support, but what about first party support? Nintendo released Wii Music ON PURPOSE. It wasn't leaked. They sold that bullshit in stores.[/QUOTE]

nobody said it wasn't. It's one fucking game though. :roll:

Are we to judge the 360 on Vampire Rain?

I can't believe how ridiculous the haters are.

[quote name='confoosious']nobody said it wasn't. It's one fucking game though. :roll:

Are we to judge the 360 on Vampire Rain?

I can't believe how ridiculous the haters are.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, was Vampire Rain created and developed by Microsoft exclusively for the 360? Was it featured in any of MS's E3 keynotes?

I don't think it's fair to say I hate Nintendo or that I'm being ridiculous. I think the point is valid, and I think it's a natural counterpoint to, "3rd party developers abandoned the Wii!" Maybe all they could come up with to accommodate the Wiimote was the same bullshit that Nintendo put into Wii Music, and the 3rd parties had the decency to say, "Wait, that's not a game. Scrap it."

:roll: why do i even bother.

Let me repeat again: it was ONE game.

It has nothing to do with other games in development except that there will never be a wii music 2. Do you understand? Wii Music is not an argument for or against nintendo or for or against third party support. Wii mUsic is simply an argument that nobody shouldve developed wii music, in house or out.

[quote name='confoosious']:roll: why do i even bother.

Let me repeat again: it was ONE game.

It has nothing to do with other games in development except that there will never be a wii music 2. Do you understand? Wii Music is not an argument for or against nintendo or for or against third party support. Wii mUsic is simply an argument that nobody shouldve developed wii music, in house or out.[/QUOTE]

It's not the ONE game, it's the fact that they put their resources into developing and promoting (in their E3 keynote) a game that was supposed to feature the Wiimote controls. They were creating and marketing a standalone Wii experience. It's representative of the failure of the Wii.

Nintendo had an unexpected audience off the launch and Wii Sports, and thereafter they failed to set a standard for a Wii gaming experience, to make a game as inherently "Wii" as Wii Sports. Everything else was branding games with familiar IPs, and that could've been done on any console with any control scheme.

It's hardly the Wii's success that SMG sold. SMG would've sold if it had GCN controls or balance board controls. Nothing about the new control scheme that came with the Wii sold copies of SMG.

Now, had people who normally don't care for Mario bought SMG because it featured some nifty Wiimote control scheme, that would be a success. But I don't believe that happened, I think Nintendo wiffed on that opportunity. That's the failure of the Wii.

EDIT: I guess the balance board was a success, but again, that has nothing to do with the pack-in wiimote and/or nunchuck. That's more a fitness thing. Anyhow, they moved balance boards, I guess from a bottom-line standpoint (not a "shifting the gaming paradigm" POV) that was a success.

Yay. More revisionist history of Wii being a failure.

This topic sucks. Close it. CAG hates the Wii like a bad disease. No good discussion can come from this site.

[quote name='dothog']It's not the ONE game, it's the fact that they put their resources into developing and promoting (in their E3 keynote) a game that was supposed to feature the Wiimote controls. They were creating and marketing a standalone Wii experience. It's representative of the failure of the Wii.

Nintendo had an unexpected audience off the launch and Wii Sports, and thereafter they failed to set a standard for a Wii gaming experience, to make a game as inherently "Wii" as Wii Sports. Everything else was branding games with familiar IPs, and that could've been done on any console with any control scheme.

It's hardly the Wii's success that SMG sold. SMG would've sold if it had GCN controls or balance board controls. Nothing about the new control scheme that came with the Wii sold copies of SMG.

Now, had people who normally don't care for Mario bought SMG because it featured some nifty Wiimote control scheme, that would be a success. But I don't believe that happened, I think Nintendo wiffed on that opportunity. That's the failure of the Wii.

EDIT: I guess the balance board was a success, but again, that has nothing to do with the pack-in wiimote and/or nunchuck. That's more a fitness thing. Anyhow, they moved balance boards, I guess from a bottom-line standpoint (not a "shifting the gaming paradigm" POV) that was a success.[/QUOTE]

Your logic is completely faulty. By saying saying wii music, because it was developed by nintendo as an exclusive and announced at E3 is different from any other game and therefore should be used to judge nintendo, then you're saying any other game developed by nintendo as an exclusive and announced at E3 could be used. So why not any other nintendo developed game announced at E3? Oh, because almost every other game announced at various E3s were good and succesful doesn't support your haterism. :roll:

Look, Wii Music was a monumental turd. But to say that it should be used to judge the wii is just stupid.

Can't wait for the Troll #1 to chime in on this.

I wish my failures sold 80+ million units, are number one in software sales, profits, hardware reliability, and set the new standard controls for a generation.

Did Wii Music kick someones puppy?

Nintendo isnt perfect, but this failure business is always weird.

EDIT: Heck the game itself sold 2.5 Million copies. Impressive, and I rather disliked the game.... (Only game I only booted once, and then traded in the next day)

Foltzie: Yes, it sold a lot. I'm not arguing against that. And other titles that were fit to the Wii (SMG, whatever other big name IPs) sold well.

I'm not arguing it failed at making Nintendo money, I'm arguing that it failed on the promise of Wii Sports and new ways of controlling old IPs. Maybe the better way to say it is that it was "disappointing" as a console -- rather than a failure. Skyward Sword might be a small success in terms of creating a Zelda game that's as much about the Wii controls (MP+) as it is IP branding, we'll see. Overall, my point is the games I played on the Wii by and large could have been played on any other console, when initially, at launch, the feeling from Nintendo fans was that they would be making games that were as much about the Wii as they were about Mario, Zelda, etc. It was a "new" way to experience those games.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm not saying you're trolling. But I expect a Troll to come in any second now and join your argument. Don't worry, he'll be along shortly.

I just think your logic is flawed. Wii Music should be held to no more accountability as a nintendo failure as any other game. If Mario Bros Wii, (which is clearly nintendo's #1 brand) failed, then you might have something there. Just cause it was announced at e3 and made by nintendo doesn't mean anything. Plenty of games announced at E3 for all systems blow. I'm not even talking about sales figures. Wii music is as dumb as Let's tap. But not every game can be a winner.

I personally think two of the best wii games that showcase the wiimote aren't made by nintendo: Tiger Woods and Trauma Center New Blood.

Funny. I'm not trying to make an argument. CAG sucks, and its community sucks (the owner is a flaming troll after all). I wouldn't waste my time trying to debate here intelligently.
Just calling this topic shit since you decided to pull revisionist history.

And who called you a troll? Defensive much?

But if you want me to act the way you described, I'd be more than happy to. :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Funny. I'm not trying to make an argument. CAG sucks, and its community sucks (the owner is a flaming troll after all). I wouldn't waste my time trying to debate here intelligently.
Just calling this topic shit since you decided to pull revisionist history.

And who called you a troll? Defensive much?

But if you want me to act the way you described, I'd be more than happy to. :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:[/QUOTE]
If that's the case, aren't you just as much a part of the problem? Why post at all if you think the community sucks?

Wouldn't it be better to try and get some "intelligent" conversation going?

Wow, I had never seen the Wii Music video. I had only heard of the game. I'm assuming the part that's mocked is the band at the end. Painful to watch, yet aslo entertaining.

dothog, at first I thought you were just being sarcastic. I understood your point of view in your later posts though: the uniqueness of the Wii was not often utilized to create a new experiences.

I personally never got a Wii to play motion control games. In my first post, I mention that I bought it on nothing other than a whim really. I just now gave Wii Sports an honest try for the first time last week. It was a blast of insight of why the Wii became incredibly popular. While I don't see myself playing the game alone, I do see its value with company. I plan to use it with family and friends now that I know.

Back more to the discussion on hand: was the Wii control scheme underutilized? I would say no. If I look at the list of games that implement them well, sure, it's not very big. But how many games need it be? The same question can be applied to how many games need to be AAA before a system is considered a worthy console. I would not say that list is all that large either.

Now if the Wii didn't have its special controllers as the central control scheme, how many well developed motion control games would have been produced? Only a fraction (we are talking a fraction of a fraction). We have seen how extra peripherals are used in past generations. Usually only employed by one game, and not that successful (DDR being the exception).

There are games I have enjoyed on the Wii that would have been just as excellent without motion control. Some maybe more enjoyable (MP3:C & DKCR). After all, the software is what makes the hardware fun. But there are also those games that did introduce a new experience. This fact can't be ignored. There are of course limitations to how motion control can be used. Nintendo know this and and stated how developers are struggling to make use of the Wii's features.

Motion control is still in its infancy. In a way, Nintendo established it as a genre. I don't believe a system that has it a central part can once again become as triumphant as the Wii though. It appears as if the Nintendo feels this way too if the rumors have shed any light of truth on the Wii's successor. The Kinect and Move both are relevant mostly because of the Wii. And they in themselves have shown that extra peripherals can now be successful. Motion control will in all likelihood continue and in time, become more refined in games.

The Wii was code-named Revolution. It has done just that and its impact is far to clear to be called anything less than a success.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pjb16']If that's the case, aren't you just as much a part of the problem? Why post at all if you think the community sucks?

Wouldn't it be better to try and get some "intelligent" conversation going?[/QUOTE]

True, and I've tried. It's not worth it. CAG is not worth it. Like I said, the head here is a freaking fanboy manchild.
I just get a few hits on my blog from this place. That's all it's good for anymore.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']True, and I've tried. It's not worth it. CAG is not worth it. Like I said, the head here is a freaking fanboy manchild.
I just get a few hits on my blog from this place. That's all it's good for anymore.[/QUOTE]

CB.jpg

bread's done
Back