Wii: A Great Console This Generation (edit)

$5? I can seem to find a single source of how much the actually costs are. I'm curious to know.

Fortunately, I have a PS3 so didn't have use for a Wii dvd player, but otherwise, it would have been very annoying. I'm probably only going with the Nintendo console next gen, so I do want it included in the system though.

But $5 is about right. Google DVD licensing costs and you'll see.

Even if it was half that, it would still be $215M they saved by not including it.

To be honest, I can't remember the last time I actually played a regular DVD. Is Nintendo using the same disc format as the newly updated 360 drive firmware? I doubt the next nintendo will play blu ray.

[quote name='confoosious']ugh, you just don't get it.

They already put the price at $250. They weren't gonna raise it just to give you DVD playback because NOBODY CARED. And if you can't raise the price and nobody cares, why would you take on an additional $5 per unit cost?

This is exactly what Microsoft did with the first xbox. You could only play DVDs if you bought the remote and dongle for like $15 bucks. That's how they passed on the cost of the licensing to you.

If Nintendo did the same thing, people wouldve bitched left and right for not including DVD playback in the original $250 cost. They were flying off the shelves at $250. Yes, they wouldve flown off the shelves at $260. But nobody wants to do that. That's a horrible PR move.

Thank god you don't work in a business.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:
I don't think you get it.
As each generation of consoles ends, and a new one forms-- what's important? Take things from the previous generation and going forward. It's not about "I can't play a crappy DVD on my Wii, this is terrible".. but since it was implemented on the PS2 it should be, kinda expected.

The N64 brought us 4 ports to play 4 players on the same TV. What happens in the next gen of consoles if they go back to 2? It would be stupid, and people like you would just make eye rolling emotes and say WELLLL PEOPLE PLAY ONLINE NOW :roll:

Maybe the COST of the Wii is what really made the Wii suck so much ass. We don't get a pretty basic feature such as DVDs (again not a big deal), but we also got like 2kb of HDD space.. :lol: yes yes you can go ahead and do math and make numbers to impress to explain why they couldn't.

They could do whatever they wanted. They chose not to implement these things. It took us 2 years to be able to play games on our SD cards. Most people had their Wii memory filled within 6 months because some of us were stupid and excited for the Virtual Console.

We look at the $250 price tag compared to the then $500 PS3 and the $400 Xbox 360...and it's no surprise that it sold the insane amount of numbers that it did. But looking back, it was actually pretty expensive for what was included -- basically nothing. It was a powered up Gamecube with "motion" controls, sorta internet access, oh and a blue LED light to stimulate us when we received a message from the really annoying channels like Check Mii Out "HEY THERE'S A NEW BEST ABRAHAM LINCOLN MII CONTEST"

I've probably been one of the top 3 defenders of the Wii on this board during it's time.. but it just turned out to be a big flop.

oh i get it. you're a wii hater now and you just wanted to talk out of your ass about dvd playback only costing an extra quarter. no wonder why you were so ignorant about the cost of anything.

gotcha

when you actually show that you understand anything (anything at all) about the business, I'll listen to what you have to say.

[quote name='confoosious']oh i get it. you're a wii hater now and you just wanted to talk out of your ass about dvd playback only costing an extra quarter. no wonder why you were so ignorant about the cost of anything.

gotcha

when you actually show that you understand anything (anything at all) about the business, I'll listen to what you have to say.[/QUOTE]

All you did was argue with everyone in this thread! YOU aren't understanding that this is NOT "Wii sucks because it lacked a DVD feature". I personally DON'T care about DVD players as I probably have access to too many -- but I am NOT everyone.

At the very least they could have offered a download for a fee if someone wished to play DVDs on their Wii. Just like needing to buy the Remote for Xbox in order to play DVDs. But I'm sure "I don't understand".

Yeah, I'm a Wii hater with reason. I gave it waaaaay too many chances. I've waited for something to be just awesome, and ALMOST everything has been a complete disaster or a waste of time.

The sad part is that most of the games that I would consider fantastic, are games that would (and some can...) be played with a Gamecube controller... or ANY normal controller for that matter.

Wii fit is a lie. You step on the board and step off of the board and it's considered exercise.
Wii Play is the game that should have came with the Wii, not with Sports as Wii Play was just an awful tech demo.
Wii Fit Plus is a rip off, plain and simple.
Wii Motion Plus, is also a rip off.
Whatever the controller is called now (with the WM+ built in) IS how it should have came out.
Wii Music is.... well, Wii Music was discussed earlier.

Basically, pretty much all of these first party games based on what the Wii can "do" and incorporate the Miis as the characters.. have all been VERY lame. These games are enjoyable for about a week. I think out of everything, I enjoyed Wii Bowling and the "Aerobics" game on Wii Fit the most.

Games I've enjoyed such as Mario Kart, Zack & Wiki, Super Paper Mario, Super Mario Bros Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 can be played just fine without gimmick. THE only game that REALLY implemented the Wii'ness correctly was Metroid Prime 3, which of course then meant Metroid Prime 1, 2, and then eventually the Triology.

When you get off your high horse and listen to what others say, maybe we'll listen to you. We get it, you probably had an awesome professor in your Business or Economics class and he was a great influence in your life and you are THE expert on the business world. Go get a job for Nintendo if you are the expert. Let the rest of us people in the real world be disappointed in which something we were very hopeful for.

[quote name='lilboo']
The N64 brought us 4 ports to play 4 players on the same TV.[/quote]

The PS2 came along nearly 4 years later, with 2 ports. 'twas a total flop, the PS2 was.

I've probably been one of the top 3 defenders of the Wii on this board during it's time.. but it just turned out to be a big flop.

I can't tell you that your opinion is wrong, because it's an opinion, but it does look like you're defining success and flop differently for each console. I don't think you'd ever have been satisfied with the Wii.

[quote name='lilboo']I personally DON'T care about DVD players as I probably have access to too many[/QUOTE]

But you keep bringing it up! :)

[quote name='Iron Clad Burrito']The PS2 came along nearly 4 years later, with 2 ports. 'twas a total flop, the PS2 was.

I can't tell you that your opinion is wrong, because it's an opinion, but it does look like you're defining success and flop differently for each console. I don't think you'd ever have been satisfied with the Wii.

But you keep bringing it up! :)[/QUOTE]

Yes that's true, but eventually the PS2 came out with the multi tap. It at least offered the option!

Wii is a success by the amount it sold, and how much ridiculous coverage it got all over the media (though, that can easily be paid for). No doubt that the Wii was a big deal this generation and I wouldn't combat that arguement at all. The topic of this thread is called Wii: A Great Console This Generation. This is where I disagree. Over the years, how many people had iPods that were clearly overpriced and lacked the features the other MP3 players on the market had? The iPod is very successful since we once called MP3 players.. MP3 players. Now, the general public (or old people trying to be hip) call MP3 players iPods or iPhones. It doesn't mean that the iPods are great! (I'll stop there because at one point it can turn into a Shuffle vs Nano vs Normal vs Touch debate, lol)

I tried to like what the Wii offered me. I was a bit bummed at first when playing Wii Sports for the first time, because it didn't feel like this is how it should have been played. But, I was optimistic! How could I judge the entire console and the rest of the life of the console based on my first few game experiences?! They could only go higher, right?! ..and they sorta did, but never that high.

I was really excited about the Virtual Console -- but wait, we have like no room for the games?!?! THIS was my biggest complaint about the console. I would let the lousy graphics slip by because "Well, they are working on a new kind of system.. let's give them time..." or when the controls just didn't work "Well, motion controls are new.. maybe if there's a sequel it'll be better...".......but there was no justifying advertising your system with the classic game download service, and providing little room. See, had this been offered late in the console's life, THEN I could understand not having much space on our system. But it didn't happen like that.. and then they release WiiWare games which take more space and all we could do is put the games away in our toybox aka SD card :wall:

Some of the game saves were pretty large too! This sucked because SOME of the large ones you couldn't even move to an SD card!!!

And yes, I bring up the DVD player because a lot of people DID ask for this in the beginning. 2006 was very different than 2011, which is kind of scary. People still watched DVDs and wouldn't have minded having another option to play something on. I'm thinking about all of the old people that they sold Wiis too, and for those parents who put the Wii in the kids bedroom, or a gameroom that didn't have a DVD player. Just saying it would have been just a nice extra feature for those who would want to use it.

[quote name='lilboo']Yes that's true, but eventually the PS2 came out with the multi tap. It at least offered the option![/quote]

It offered 4 player gameplay like Gamecube offered online. ;)

Wii is a success by the amount it sold, and how much ridiculous coverage it got all over the media (though, that can easily be paid for). No doubt that the Wii was a big deal this generation and I wouldn't combat that arguement at all. The topic of this thread is called Wii: A Great Console This Generation. This is where I disagree. Over the years, how many people had iPods that were clearly overpriced and lacked the features the other MP3 players on the market had? The iPod is very successful since we once called MP3 players.. MP3 players. Now, the general public (or old people trying to be hip) call MP3 players iPods or iPhones. It doesn't mean that the iPods are great! (I'll stop there because at one point it can turn into a Shuffle vs Nano vs Normal vs Touch debate, lol)

I rather like my iPod, but it's dated (5th gen before they named them "classic"). But again, I won't call your opinion wrong, because opinions cannot be. Mostly. :)

And yes, I bring up the DVD player because a lot of people DID ask for this in the beginning. 2006 was very different than 2011, which is kind of scary. People still watched DVDs and wouldn't have minded having another option to play something on. I'm thinking about all of the old people that they sold Wiis too, and for those parents who put the Wii in the kids bedroom, or a gameroom that didn't have a DVD player. Just saying it would have been just a nice extra feature for those who would want to use it.

There's a flip side to that philosophy, though. PS3 does the whole all in one thing. And it does a good job, but when it came out, it was a hell of a hit to the pocketbook. The 360 does a decent job of being the all-in-one solution (lacking Blu-Ray, but I understand the decision to only have DVD). And they REALLY had a rough go in the beginning with substandard manufacturing and/or hardware and/or design. The Wii didn't do all that. It plays games, which frankly, I appreciate. They focused on one thing (game playing), and innovate upon that. If the other consoles were software, programmers would say they suffered from bloat/"feature creep."

besides, counting in my head, I have at least 9 DVD players accessible IN THIS HOUSE. (3 connected to TVs, 2 in desktop computers, 3 in laptops, and my 360 -- this isn't counting the 1 set-top and the PS2 sitting in storage in the garage). Don't really care for more. If one I'm using breaks, I use another available or replace it for $20-ish.

I'm not saying you're wrong... and acknowledging your OPINION is indeed valid. :)

Iron Clad Burrito is a much more diplomatic person than I am.

I personally think anyone whose opinions are based on ignorance are not valid.

Look, if you're gonna argue that the wii should have dvd playback, fine. But if your argument is based on the fact that it would only cost them a quarter, then your argument holds no water.

I said it once as a joke.
L2 understand sarcasm.

But I guess defending the Wii simply to defend it is all that matters. Anyone who disagrees is a troll. That's all.

[quote name='confoosious']Iron Clad Burrito is a much more diplomatic person than I am.

I personally think anyone whose opinions are different from mine are not valid.[/QUOTE]

Fixed. :bow::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Iron Clad Burrito']It offered 4 player gameplay like Gamecube offered online. ;)[/quote]

:wall: But not everyone played online or had the access to online. This was the year 2000. Many many many things have changed since then.

I rather like my iPod, but it's dated (5th gen before they named them "classic"). But again, I won't call your opinion wrong, because opinions cannot be. Mostly. :)

Yes, you like you're iPod. I like my iPod too. This is not a question of MY liking vs YOUR liking. Read forums dated prior to the iPod touch/iPhone -- even on THESE boards. There's a lot of Apple hate. A lot of people didn't like iTunes as they felt it was too restrictive. Some people didn't like that most MP3 players on the market had an FM radio tuner, and yet the iPod didn't. I think the new iPod nano has it now, so I just saved you "The new iPod nano has it now ;)". This is the same concept with the Wii with the DVD playback. It's not an important feature, but if it can be offered with others, why not?

It plays games, which frankly, I appreciate. They focused on one thing (game playing), and innovate upon that.

And right there is why so many people are disappointed with the Wii. We all were stimulated like sheep because they used the words innovation a lot during the beginning. Shaking a controller is NOT innovating. I shake my hand up and down my penis when I'm horny. Most games that aren't Motion+, have these waggle motions -- you just have to move the controller to win. Maybe you think shaking the controller is so fun and innovating -- that's fine!! -- but a lot of us think it's silly and it's not really playing a game.[/quote]

besides, counting in my head, I have at least 9 DVD players accessible IN THIS HOUSE. (3 connected to TVs, 2 in desktop computers, 3 in laptops, and my 360 -- this isn't counting the 1 set-top and the PS2 sitting in storage in the garage). Don't really care for more. If one I'm using breaks, I use another available or replace it for $20-ish.

Good for you. I have a few too. News flash: We aren't everyone.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Fixed. :bow::lol:[/QUOTE]

so you're saying that when you base an opinion on a fact that's wrong, it's still valid. Yeah, that sounds exactly like something you'd back.

[quote name='lilboo']I said it once as a joke.
L2 understand sarcasm.[/QUOTE]

Any time I'm wrong about something, I chalk it up to sarcasm too. Works ALL the time. :applause:

All three are about even. I have all three, so no fanboy of any. I use the 360 the most, then the PS3, then the Wii.

The Wii was a great mainstream console, but no real multiplayer, very little for the hardcore gamer, no HD capability, and lots of shovelware.

The 360 did a lot right, but of course the consoles broke, and broke often.

The PS3 ushered in BluRay, much like the PS2 ushered in DVD, was a really advanced piece of hardware, but the console was too expensive, the Move too derivative, the online experience lacking, and ultimately the big hack of the PSN.

I'd say if MSFT could have gotten handle on the RROD sooner, they could have been proclaimed the winner.

[quote name='bsesb2003']All three are about even.

The Wii was a great mainstream console, but no real multiplayer, verry litle for the hardcore gamer, and lots of shovelware.

The PS3 ushered in BluRay, much like the PS2 ushered in DVD, but the console was too expensive, the Move too derivative, the online experience lacking, and ultimately the big hack of the PSN.[/QUOTE]

I kinda disagree, actually.
The Wii does have a bunch of multiplayer games. Though you said "real" multiplayer games. This may mean online or some local co-op. Regardless, they do have a bunch of party games and SOME are pretty amusing for those random gatherings.

The 360 got everything right this generation. Yeah, consoles broke at the beginning .. but they did eventually get better. It's been a few years since I've heard about MASS red ring of deaths.

I agree with you on the PS3 thing. I wouldn't call the hack something that has ruined the console for this generation, but everything else I would agree with.

[quote name='bsesb2003']All three are about even. I have all three, so no fanboy of any. I use the 360 the most, then the PS3, then the Wii.

The Wii was a great mainstream console, but no real multiplayer, very little for the hardcore gamer, no HD capability, and lots of shovelware.

The PS3 ushered in BluRay, much like the PS2 ushered in DVD, was a really advanced piece of hardware, but the console was too expensive, the Move too derivative, the online experience lacking, and ultimately the big hack of the PSN.

I'd say if MSFT could have gotten handle on the RROD sooner, they could have been proclaimed the winner.[/QUOTE]

I think even with the RROD issue, the xbox was the clear winner this generation. Great online play, lots of "core" titles. Parents bought a lot of Arcade units for their kids. A decent list of "kids" games. Convinced everyone and their mother to buy a kinect. Generally sells the most in cross-platform games.

Wii clearly just cleaned up from a profit standpoint.

Sony seems to have come in third and will have to repair their image (fear?) with some skittish gamers who've never heard of prepaid PSN cards.

[quote name='lilboo']I kinda disagree, actually.
The Wii does have a bunch of multiplayer games. Though you said "real" multiplayer games. This may mean online or some local co-op. Regardless, they do have a bunch of party games and SOME are pretty amusing for those random gatherings.

The 360 got everything right this generation. Yeah, consoles broke at the beginning .. but they did eventually get better. It's been a few years since I've heard about MASS red ring of deaths.

I agree with you on the PS3 thing. I wouldn't call the hack something that has ruined the console for this generation, but everything else I would agree with.[/QUOTE]

I mean online. The Wii is basically a juiced N64 with motion controls. It did great but Nintendo really hasn't had a console with many strong 3rd party games since the SNES. The lack of on-line multiplayer and HD is a big minus.

Sony's advantage was that its console was well made as compared to the 360 and technically superior to both. Sony may have sacrificed too much to get the BluRay in there. The PS3 did help establish the BlueRay, but at what cost -- the trend seems to be towards streaming video, even if its only 720p and not 1080p.

I think Sony did just fine on their bluray investment. Remember, a lot of people are behind the curve. So while the people who paid $600 for their bluray player when it first came have moved onto streaming, there are still tons of people buying bluray movies at their local walmart/bestbuy/target.

[quote name='lilboo']So how much would we be talking from the initial $250? Are we talking putting it OVER $300, as in possibly $350+? I mean, "additional costs" can mean anything. It could be $10, or it could be $100. If it WAS $100, then of course not.

But let's be honest here: PS2, if I recall correctly debuted in the year 2000 with an MSRP of $299.99. This is $50 more than the Wii. This is also 6 years before the Wii. PS2 came out when DVDs were just starting to be mainstream..and DVD players couldn't be found for $30 or less at Walmart like we can today.

So unless I'm missing something, it really could not have been that much more expensive.[/QUOTE]

it's a little hard to compare nintendo to sony in terms of this because the two companies have different properties.

nintendo is nintendo, they only make video games and only video games. nintendo does not make movies, music nor computers and other tech devices. so nintendo relies heavily on outside sources to make their hardware. what it means is that it becomes more costly for nintendo to make hardware than sony.

sony is a giant corporation that is integrated in movies, music, computers[software and hardware] and electronic devices. for sony, it is cheaper to make hardware because they own these manufacturering plants or have closer relations to these chip makers. with the ps2, sony was able to sell them at that price because they make their own chip or have ties to other companies that make them cheaper for them.

the gamecube and playstation 2 question. in japan, sony and nintendo did have dvd playback consoles and both were sold at nearly the same price [around 40000 yen]. yet one was more successful than the other. what it means is that it really didn't matter much to have dvd playback on the wii because it didn't seem to worry much for consumers as they didn't really cared for it when two consumer products had the same feature. because of this, the company simply ignored it. does it matter?! yes and no because people didn't care about dvd playback and yes because there are a very few who did care.

to say the media covered the wii is a joke because the media did cover the wii. but it wasn't to praise the wii. it was to joke about the wii. there was constant speculation that the wii has sold too much and it is now market saturated. there was constant news about how the wii lacked a hard drive which prevented companies from providing downloadable content. there was media coverage of how the wii would fail during the holiday season sales. when motion plus was released, there was media coverage how the feature should have been implemented. so yes there was media coverage, but it wasn't good coverage, it was down played coverage. you had 360's going red ring of death dead year after year and you don't hear media coverage of how awful it is. nor do you hear bad media coverage of sony's ps3 problems. when the wii outsold ps3/360 during the holidays, the media would say it was the price. but when it was the ps3/360, the media would say it was due to quality software. the wii was constantly badgered for lacking high definition and even now that nintendo may release a new console and how it was a bad move of not having hd in the first place on the wii. so the media never favored nintendo and it would have not benefitted nintendo at all.

what lilboo is complaining about is that nintendo didn't deliver the goods and felt that it was a waste because a new console made by nintendo is going to be released. so lilboo is not only mad that nintendo didn't deliver the goods, but that nintendo didn't deliver their promise to those who had hopes about the wii. the wii has been out for such a long time now that there should have been some awesome made games for the wii. games like sin and punishment should have been released the first two years during the release of the wii. the fact that this game was released 4 years later and there has yet to be a game that surpasses wii sports or wii resort, shows that nintendo lacked their promise and ambition for the wii and it's owners. a game like zelda skyward sword should have been made available at the end of the year when the motion plus was released during the summer of 2009. the fact that zelda skyward sword is being released sometime in 2012 tells lilboo, myself, and all the other wii gamers and hopeful that we should all bend down and have our asses fucked. three years?! something is wrong and frankly we're just sick of it.

with the ps3/360, there is no promise nor hope for the console. it is what it is and there are no expectations from sony nor microsoft. so if the ps3/360 suck, it wouldn't matter because there wasn't any expectation nor promises. no one is expecting microsoft to make a great lasting console, nor is microsoft making any promises that they will release a product that won't be fully faulty.

Even bad media, is still "good". Just simply bringing the topic of Wii is good for them, even when it's not so positive. When I was talking about the media, I was really talking about it being on the news and on a lot of talk shows :lol: But all of the negatives reported on the Wii were very right.

I still can't believe it's been 5 years. We were all sooo excited. :lol:
Looking back at everything:

I wish they would have given us more HDD space. Had it been forced (by additional cost) or selling 2 separate consoles (much like how for the longest time there were always 2-3 different bundles for PS3 and 460). They promoted the Virtual Console as a big deal -- this was their way of bringing their normal, hardcore fan base on board on top of getting into senior homes and being played at Thanksgiving by everyone.

I can't say I totally minded the graphics, as some games really did look awesome (yes, awesome for a Wii game). Some games looked almost worse than some N64 games -- and that's a huge problem. Even if a game has Gamecube quality, it's not TOTALLY bad, but to go back to the 1996-2000 era of the N64? C'mon.

Oh, and I can't even begin to get started with friend codes. Friend codes truly felt like this was 1997. It REALLY felt as if, you could have connected our Nintendo 64's to the net -- yes on dial up -- in order to register our friend codes and send our friends Miis and messages! IF this was 1997, then I would praise Nintendo for attempting to take their console online!! (I know Sega Saturn had some online play, but not really some kind of system). But it's not 1997. This shit came out in 2006. Xbox had a whole console prior to try and get Xbox Live right, and they did! If I remember, towards the end the PS2 attempted online gaming. Not sure how that went. Gamecube, with the exception of I believe Phantasy Star, stayed offline. So when the Wii came around, we got online equivalent to Juno.

Bah. I do look forward to hearing actual details about the next console. Hopefully they don't trick us again :(
Motion controls are a great idea for some games. The Wii should not have debuted as ALL MOTION CONTROLS. Despite whatever anyone's opinions are on Kinect and Move, the Wii should have Wii Remotes just like that -- accessories, so there's a lineup of games for it. IF they released the Wii mainly as a game console, and also tried to promote and keep up with their "motion control" lineup of games, I think a lot of people would have been REALLY happy. Instead of taking some games that did NOT need waggle, they could have focused on getting the controls right and making the game look as sharp as possible.

I always laugh when I try a new game because of how it's advertised with it's "Motion Controls". They promote games to be soo fun because you are making "x" motions, but so many games have broken controls. Like... all they had to do, was get the controls perfect and you have an amazing game, but nope.

GRAH. Angry now.

[quote name='lilboo']Bah. I do look forward to hearing actual details about the next console. Hopefully they don't trick us again :(
Motion controls are a great idea for some games. The Wii should not have debuted as ALL MOTION CONTROLS. Despite whatever anyone's opinions are on Kinect and Move, the Wii should have Wii Remotes just like that -- accessories, so there's a lineup of games for it. IF they released the Wii mainly as a game console, and also tried to promote and keep up with their "motion control" lineup of games, I think a lot of people would have been REALLY happy. Instead of taking some games that did NOT need waggle, they could have focused on getting the controls right and making the game look as sharp as possible. [/QUOTE]

You seem to have a love-hate relationship with the Wii. I guess our differing feelings come from how we each approached the Wii. I didn't expect anything much from the Wii and found myself pleasantly surprised. You on the other hand, expected plenty, but didn't feel satisfied in the end. What were the titles that stood out to you on the Wii? Out of curiosity, since you seem to have enjoyed several games.

If the Wii remotes were like the Kinect or the Move, neither would have existed, at least to the extent of being relevant. Remember the Eye Toy? The classic controller was the accessory in the Wii's case, and it was hardly utilized either.

Also, besides DKCR, did you think the waggle hindered the games in anyway? Does that include those motion control levels in the Galaxy games? Personally, they were quite enjoyable. Sure they could've been done on something similar to the Six Axis, though I did like how the Wii remote had to be oriented in a specific way for each level respectively.

:bouncy:Lastly, I thought the iPod was the best MP3 back in it's day. Sure it didn't have some features, but the click wheel interface plus iTunes was never matched and it worked very well as a music player (before the touchscreen revolution).:bouncy:

^Kirby, NSMB and Other M come to mind. Forced waggle meant tying the user to a sideways Wiimote. So Nintendo goes from one of the most comfortable controllers ever with the Wavebird to stepping back 25 years to a NES pad, just so they can toss in a couple gimmicky features. Horrible decision.

I'd absolutely toss in Galaxy. The game would still be a 10 if you removed the pointing and monkey ball levels. They add nothing to the game.

Im sure there are plenty of others, But all of these would have been better with the Wavebird.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']it's a little hard to compare nintendo to sony in terms of this because the two companies have different properties.

nintendo is nintendo, they only make video games and only video games. nintendo does not make movies, music nor computers and other tech devices. so nintendo relies heavily on outside sources to make their hardware. what it means is that it becomes more costly for nintendo to make hardware than sony.

sony is a giant corporation that is integrated in movies, music, computers[software and hardware] and electronic devices. for sony, it is cheaper to make hardware because they own these manufacturering plants or have closer relations to these chip makers. with the ps2, sony was able to sell them at that price because they make their own chip or have ties to other companies that make them cheaper for them.

the gamecube and playstation 2 question. in japan, sony and nintendo did have dvd playback consoles and both were sold at nearly the same price [around 40000 yen]. yet one was more successful than the other. what it means is that it really didn't matter much to have dvd playback on the wii because it didn't seem to worry much for consumers as they didn't really cared for it when two consumer products had the same feature. because of this, the company simply ignored it. does it matter?! yes and no because people didn't care about dvd playback and yes because there are a very few who did care.

to say the media covered the wii is a joke because the media did cover the wii. but it wasn't to praise the wii. it was to joke about the wii. there was constant speculation that the wii has sold too much and it is now market saturated. there was constant news about how the wii lacked a hard drive which prevented companies from providing downloadable content. there was media coverage of how the wii would fail during the holiday season sales. when motion plus was released, there was media coverage how the feature should have been implemented. so yes there was media coverage, but it wasn't good coverage, it was down played coverage. you had 360's going red ring of death dead year after year and you don't hear media coverage of how awful it is. nor do you hear bad media coverage of sony's ps3 problems. when the wii outsold ps3/360 during the holidays, the media would say it was the price. but when it was the ps3/360, the media would say it was due to quality software. the wii was constantly badgered for lacking high definition and even now that nintendo may release a new console and how it was a bad move of not having hd in the first place on the wii. so the media never favored nintendo and it would have not benefitted nintendo at all.

what lilboo is complaining about is that nintendo didn't deliver the goods and felt that it was a waste because a new console made by nintendo is going to be released. so lilboo is not only mad that nintendo didn't deliver the goods, but that nintendo didn't deliver their promise to those who had hopes about the wii. the wii has been out for such a long time now that there should have been some awesome made games for the wii. games like sin and punishment should have been released the first two years during the release of the wii. the fact that this game was released 4 years later and there has yet to be a game that surpasses wii sports or wii resort, shows that nintendo lacked their promise and ambition for the wii and it's owners. a game like zelda skyward sword should have been made available at the end of the year when the motion plus was released during the summer of 2009. the fact that zelda skyward sword is being released sometime in 2012 tells lilboo, myself, and all the other wii gamers and hopeful that we should all bend down and have our asses fucked. three years?! something is wrong and frankly we're just sick of it.

with the ps3/360, there is no promise nor hope for the console. it is what it is and there are no expectations from sony nor microsoft. so if the ps3/360 suck, it wouldn't matter because there wasn't any expectation nor promises. no one is expecting microsoft to make a great lasting console, nor is microsoft making any promises that they will release a product that won't be fully faulty.[/QUOTE]

Translation:

iqbxie.jpg

[quote name='chimpmeister']Translation:

iqbxie.jpg
[/QUOTE]

this picture is a representation of what nintendo promised with the nes and super nes. if you hear what people say about super mario brothers when it was first released, you'll notice that people would say it was something never thought of and beyond what the market had to offer. those who owned an nes experienced something new and beyond expections. games on the nes were never possible on the other consoles during it's time. this follows the same idea with the wii, that wii sports was something new and never thought of before and was never possible on the other consoles. however, there is something different with the nes and wii, the promise that nintendo made. with the nes, you had hits after the other from not only nintendo but also third party developers [metroid, kid icarus, castlevania, bionic commando, bubble bobble, etc...]. heck, even electronic arts made some pretty good sports games like skate or die and ski or die. with the wii, you had dead hits from nintendo and third party developers.

btw, notice how third parties never really complained about how their games can't compete with nintendo as opposed to today where they say their games can't compete with nintendo. how is there a discrepency today as opposed to the nes days? it really shows that third party developers today have lower standards in meeting their consumer demands as opposed to the old days. meaning, third party developers are having you pay for games that are crap. developers worked hard to make games like castlevania, bionic commando, princess tomato, etc.... which are still hits today. with games made today, they won't be hits in the next generation and the one after that because they are lame and are driven by hype.

[quote name='lilboo']Even bad media, is still "good". Just simply bringing the topic of Wii is good for them, even when it's not so positive. When I was talking about the media, I was really talking about it being on the news and on a lot of talk shows :lol: But all of the negatives reported on the Wii were very right.

I still can't believe it's been 5 years. We were all sooo excited. :lol:
Looking back at everything:

I wish they would have given us more HDD space. Had it been forced (by additional cost) or selling 2 separate consoles (much like how for the longest time there were always 2-3 different bundles for PS3 and 460). They promoted the Virtual Console as a big deal -- this was their way of bringing their normal, hardcore fan base on board on top of getting into senior homes and being played at Thanksgiving by everyone.

I can't say I totally minded the graphics, as some games really did look awesome (yes, awesome for a Wii game). Some games looked almost worse than some N64 games -- and that's a huge problem. Even if a game has Gamecube quality, it's not TOTALLY bad, but to go back to the 1996-2000 era of the N64? C'mon.

Oh, and I can't even begin to get started with friend codes. Friend codes truly felt like this was 1997. It REALLY felt as if, you could have connected our Nintendo 64's to the net -- yes on dial up -- in order to register our friend codes and send our friends Miis and messages! IF this was 1997, then I would praise Nintendo for attempting to take their console online!! (I know Sega Saturn had some online play, but not really some kind of system). But it's not 1997. This shit came out in 2006. Xbox had a whole console prior to try and get Xbox Live right, and they did! If I remember, towards the end the PS2 attempted online gaming. Not sure how that went. Gamecube, with the exception of I believe Phantasy Star, stayed offline. So when the Wii came around, we got online equivalent to Juno.

Bah. I do look forward to hearing actual details about the next console. Hopefully they don't trick us again :(
Motion controls are a great idea for some games. The Wii should not have debuted as ALL MOTION CONTROLS. Despite whatever anyone's opinions are on Kinect and Move, the Wii should have Wii Remotes just like that -- accessories, so there's a lineup of games for it. IF they released the Wii mainly as a game console, and also tried to promote and keep up with their "motion control" lineup of games, I think a lot of people would have been REALLY happy. Instead of taking some games that did NOT need waggle, they could have focused on getting the controls right and making the game look as sharp as possible.

I always laugh when I try a new game because of how it's advertised with it's "Motion Controls". They promote games to be soo fun because you are making "x" motions, but so many games have broken controls. Like... all they had to do, was get the controls perfect and you have an amazing game, but nope.

GRAH. Angry now.[/QUOTE]

one of the problems about the wii is that it seems forced to use the motion controller. there should definitely be an option for using controllers. with the nes, you had games that uses the gun, but you aren't limited to using it as you can use a controller. it was also the same thing with dance dance revolution games, where you can use the mat or the controller. marvel ultimate alliance for instance could have the choice of a controller or motion controller.

it should be how the graphics accomodate the game. 1996-2000 graphics aren't bad. i wouldn't mind if we had another virtua cop game that has the same graphics. i don't believe many here would mind if sega released a new virtua cop game that uses similar polygonal like visuals for the game like for the saturn. i have house of the dead 2/3 on the wii and part 2 is visually entertainning.

3 years since the release of motion plus and we'll get a fully dedicated motion controller game, not some sampler games from nintendo. unbelievable. nintendo truly lost themsevles two years ago. the funny thing about the release of zelda is that it is about the only game that makes that promise and every other game is just dead. so when you look at the wii as a whole, there really is nothing there at all.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']this picture is a representation of what nintendo promised with the nes and super nes. if you hear what people say about super mario brothers when it was first released, you'll notice that people would say it was something never thought of and beyond what the market had to offer. those who owned an nes experienced something new and beyond expections. games on the nes were never possible on the other consoles during it's time. this follows the same idea with the wii, that wii sports was something new and never thought of before and was never possible on the other consoles. however, there is something different with the nes and wii, the promise that nintendo made. with the nes, you had hits after the other from not only nintendo but also third party developers [metroid, kid icarus, castlevania, bionic commando, bubble bobble, etc...]. heck, even electronic arts made some pretty good sports games like skate or die and ski or die. with the wii, you had dead hits from nintendo and third party developers.

btw, notice how third parties never really complained about how their games can't compete with nintendo as opposed to today where they say their games can't compete with nintendo. how is there a discrepency today as opposed to the nes days? it really shows that third party developers today have lower standards in meeting their consumer demands as opposed to the old days. meaning, third party developers are having you pay for games that are crap. developers worked hard to make games like castlevania, bionic commando, princess tomato, etc.... which are still hits today. with games made today, they won't be hits in the next generation and the one after that because they are lame and are driven by hype.[/QUOTE]

This is all true. So many promises unfulfilled, so many ideas never translated into good products. Nintendo better buck up and provide a QUALITY new console with GREAT (non-gimmicky) games for the true gamers who supported them early on (myself included, I have ALL their old consoles still and TONS of games for them, including perfect copies of many NES, SNES, and N64 games). Look at all the peripherals they released that proved to be failures, many shown in just that photo. If they don't get it right for this next generation home console, they're finished. They already blew it on the 3DS IMO, so this will be their last chance.

bread's done
Back