Wii a major disappointment in one way...first time?

[quote name='willardhaven']Once they reach a certain point, graphical improvements don't make or break a game.

Fun factor is what's important.

I know I had a blast playing Diddy Kong Racing last night, and I didn't need a $250 motion sensor or insane Blu-Ray power.

I would have no problems with the Wii if it did not force the ridiculous controller on fans who just want to play the newest games.[/QUOTE]

I'm fairly certain Nintendo's not going to harm you in way, shape, or form if you pass on a Wii (can't speak on Reggie though, he's somewhat like the lone gunman of Nintendo).

Also, I LAUGH at your notion of the Nunchuck and Wii-mote being "rediculous". Thank god your opinion is less than worthless, or else we might have a problem.

You know the graphics are not that bad. There are only so many pores and sweat drops I need to see on a person. The advancement in graphics is good because it helps to bring the world to life and tell a more robust story. But, there is a point where it plateaus and anything else graphic-wise is extraneous. In my opinion the Wii is awesome, I haven't had more fun with a video game console before. And challenge anyone to try it before knocking it.

Nah, he's right the launch sucked.

I was really hoping for OMO, but they didn't release OMO and what's a system without OMO?

[quote name='Apossum']Nah, he's right the launch sucked.

I was really hoping for OMO, but they didn't release OMO and what's a system without OMO?[/quote]OMO = Zelda killer?

[quote name='jkam']The graphics? The fucking graphics? It's not about the fucking graphics. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE fuckING GRAPHICS!!!!

How many times does this need to be said exactly? How many ways? If you want suped up graphics buy a different system. What's so hard to understand?

I play DS games and my eyes don't bleed. I could play a NES game and have fun even though its not in HD. I can play a N64 and not give 2 shits that the game is jaggy. Just play the damn game and stop bitching already!

Link could look like a fucking stick figure but I would still have fun with it because its a good game.

This shit is really getting old![/quote]

You're right, its NOT about graphics. Like it doesnt matter what a woman looks like, as long as she has a kind heart.

Whenever people say this, I feel that they feel for the Wii marketing the hardest... they completely cover every one of nintendo's faults with "Thats how its supposed to be stupid!"

Please, I bought the Wii for my girlfriend, and after hours of gameplay I found its not about graphics.... its about getting weak ports over to VC. Its about Nintendo cashing in on the same game for the 12th time. Its about screwing the customers of the prior console, to get people to buy the only good game out now for the new one. Its about knowing no one would pay more than $20 bucks for Wii Sports (In a cardboard Sega CD-ish demo disc like case, no less) so they packed it in and charged you the extra $50. Its about remixing every single product they own for the past 5 years and calling it "New" because it has some minor thing. Its about wireless controllers that really dont work right in most of the Wii Sports titles. Its about fighting the "intuitive" controllers for CONTROL. Its about lack of "A" games. Its about having "A" games that are much more inferior and not by graphics alone. Its about having the most time of any company to get their shit together for this release and releasing it half assed. Its about having channels that dont work?? Its about ---- fuck... I dont think I could stop. Nobody gonna read this far anyways.

I realized I dont hate Nintendo. I hate their blind followers.

I love the 360, but I can say what sucks on it. You cant even do that.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']You're right, its NOT about graphics. Like it doesnt matter what a woman looks like, as long as she has a kind heart.

Whenever people say this, I feel that they feel for the Wii marketing the hardest... they completely cover every one of nintendo's faults with "Thats how its supposed to be stupid!"

Please, I bought the Wii for my girlfriend, and after hours of gameplay I found its not about graphics.... its about getting weak ports over to VC. Its about Nintendo cashing in on the same game for the 12th time. Its about screwing the customers of the prior console, to get people to buy the only good game out now for the new one. Its about knowing no one would pay more than $20 bucks for Wii Sports (In a cardboard Sega CD-ish demo disc like case, no less) so they packed it in and charged you the extra $50. Its about remixing every single product they own for the past 5 years and calling it "New" because it has some minor thing. Its about wireless controllers that really dont work right in most of the Wii Sports titles. Its about fighting the "intuitive" controllers for CONTROL. Its about lack of "A" games. Its about having "A" games that are much more inferior and not by graphics alone. Its about having the most time of any company to get their shit together for this release and releasing it half assed. Its about having channels that dont work?? Its about ---- fuck... I dont think I could stop. Nobody gonna read this far anyways.[/quote]

yawn.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']You're right, its NOT about graphics. Like it doesnt matter what a woman looks like, as long as she has a kind heart.

Please, I bought the Wii for my girlfriend, and after hours of gameplay I found its not about graphics.... its about getting weak ports over to VC. Its about Nintendo cashing in on the same game for the 12th time. Its about screwing the customers of the prior console, to get people to buy the only good game out now for the new one. Its about knowing no one would pay more than $20 bucks for Wii Sports (In a cardboard Sega CD-ish demo disc like case, no less) so they packed it in and charged you the extra $50. Its about remixing every single product they own for the past 5 years and calling it "New" because it has some minor thing. Its about wireless controllers that really dont work right in most of the Wii Sports titles. Its about fighting the "intuitive" controllers for CONTROL. Its about lack of "A" games. Its about having "A" games that are much more inferior and not by graphics alone. Its about having the most time of any company to get their shit together for this release and releasing it half assed. Its about having channels that dont work?? Its about ---- fuck... I dont think I could stop. Nobody gonna read this far anyways.

I love the 360, but I can say what sucks on it. You cant even do that.[/QUOTE]

Castlevania_SOTN_-_Dracula.gif

perhaps the same could be said of all system launches?

and if you think the controller isn't intuitive, you just suck horribly. :lol: The wii sports games took about 3 seconds to learn.

I love the 360 as well and I can tell you this launch is a thousand times better than the 360 launch. sure CoD2 was pretty to look at...too bad MP was broken. and the killer apps? Geometry Wars and Hexic. yeah.

Nintendo: We are going to have shitty graphics this gen.
Person: Are the graphics going to be like the 360?
Nintendo: No we are going to have shitty graphics this gen.
Person: So the graphics won't be as good?
Person: *Buys Wii*
Person: YO THE WII's GRAF-X are WEAK!
Nintendo: Ugh!

The graphics aren't about marketing. Nintendo actually told us the truth and said yeah we aren't going to be top dog in the graphics area this time around.

I understand that Nintendo does repackage things and sells them again and again. No one has to buy them.

As of right now I only have Zelda and Wii Sports for the Wii and I am enjoying them both. Is Wii Sports perfect? No. Is it fun? Yes. I'm sure there will be shitty games because every console has them. A lot of the Wii's launch titles look unappealing to me as it is. I will be getting a 360 for my HD uber graphics fix. You can have your complaints about the Wii but if you bought it for the graphics you're an idiot. Then if you go and bitch about them on top of it you're an even bigger idiot.

Great post.

I think Zelda looks great and plays great. Also it's a port like others said. The graphics will show later on they're better then a orignal xbox. actually has 200mhz more then an orginal xbox I think it was and more graphical power. A lot of things are upgraded.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Great post.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo: We are going to have shitty graphics this gen.

The graphics aren't about marketing. Nintendo actually told us the truth and said yeah we aren't going to be top dog in the graphics area this time around.

I understand that Nintendo does repackage things and sells them again and again. No one has to buy them.

As of right now I only have Zelda and Wii Sports for the Wii and I am enjoying them both. Is Wii Sports perfect? No. Is it fun? Yes. I'm sure there will be shitty games because every console has them. A lot of the Wii's launch titles look unappealing to me as it is. I will be getting a 360 for my HD uber graphics fix. You can have your complaints about the Wii but if you bought it for the graphics you're an idiot. Then if you go and bitch about them on top of it you're an even bigger idiot.

The guy who posted about blind Nintendo followers may have it right after all. Half the posts in this thread are typical "graphics don't matter, shut up and play" posts, even though I've clearly said I had fun with Wii Sports and I'm still trying Zelda.

It seems like a lot of Wii fans just can't stand any criticism of their holy console. My point is that a major lack of improvement in graphics like this is something new, and I don't think it's too much to ask for a reasonable discussion about that. I've already said I still think the Wii will outsell the other consoles, if only for the price and controller. Are you Wii zealots happy now?

[quote name='rickonker']The guy who posted about blind Nintendo followers may have it right after all. Half the posts in this thread are typical "graphics don't matter, shut up and play" posts, even though I've clearly said I had fun with Wii Sports and I'm still trying Zelda.

It seems like a lot of Wii fans just can't stand any criticism of their holy console. My point is that a major lack of improvement in graphics like this is something new, and I don't think it's too much to ask for a reasonable discussion about that. I've already said I still think the Wii will outsell the other consoles, if only for the price and controller. Are you Wii zealots happy now?[/QUOTE]

No, but the thing is.. 360 and PS3 are advertised as of having these amazing graphics. The Wii was never supposed to be visually impressive. This is why it's not fair for people to go OMG THE GAME IS UGLY!! Especially when it looks like a GameCube game. Most games ARE going to look like GameCube games. Some may be a bit better, some may be slightly under. When we have a game or GAMES that come out..and we've seen some N64 games look better: Then let the ranting begin on THOSE specific games.

Now the Wii IS all about the controls. So..the reviews should be about that. The main thing in the review section in a Wii game should be "Controls". If they are hard to follow, don't work, don't feel well, or too complicated..then the game is going to be unplayable or very lame to play. If it runs smooth with the motion controls, but looks like a Gamecube launch game.. then.. feh?

Seriously this does need to end, which it won't. Yes, "next-gen" is considered better graphics. But next-gen is also about bringing something new to the table. All 3 systems are bringing something new--NOT just better graphics.

But we can argue all we want with haters--we won't get through. It's not about "protecting our holy console" it's about stating the facts.

[quote name='lilboo']No, but the thing is.. 360 and PS3 are advertised as of having these amazing graphics. The Wii was never supposed to be visually impressive. This is why it's not fair for people to go OMG THE GAME IS UGLY!! Especially when it looks like a GameCube game. Most games ARE going to look like GameCube games. Some may be a bit better, some may be slightly under. When we have a game or GAMES that come out..and we've seen some N64 games look better: Then let the ranting begin on THOSE specific games.

Now the Wii IS all about the controls. So..the reviews should be about that. The main thing in the review section in a Wii game should be "Controls". If they are hard to follow, don't work, don't feel well, or too complicated..then the game is going to be unplayable or very lame to play. If it runs smooth with the motion controls, but looks like a Gamecube launch game.. then.. feh?

Seriously this does need to end, which it won't. Yes, "next-gen" is considered better graphics. But next-gen is also about bringing something new to the table. All 3 systems are bringing something new--NOT just better graphics.

But we can argue all we want with haters--we won't get through. It's not about "protecting our holy console" it's about stating the facts.[/QUOTE]
In my actual review in another thread, I did exactly what you've said...way before this thread was started. I talked about the games and the controller before mentioning graphics. But this thread is not an overall review which is something you and some others don't seem to understand.

You say "the Wii IS all about the controls" and call it a fact. Is this really a fact, or is it your opinion? Or even worse is it just Nintendo's opinion, blindly accepted?

I'm going to quote my entire post from the "How would you rate the Wii?" thread here.
[quote name='Me']I got Wii Sports (of course) and Zelda. Wii Sports was a lot of fun and felt really natural with the controller, but all of the sports games got kind of repetitive. Overall I'd say it's good as a demo for the controller, but not as a full-fledged game, so it's a good thing it comes with the console. If I wanted to show the Wii to someone who never plays games I'd use this.

While I was playing Wii Sports, I was getting really excited about the potential for bringing in new gamers. If all Wii games were this easy to pick up and learn, it would be great. Unfortunately this didn't happen. I started playing Zelda and it feels mostly like playing any other game with a "regular" controller. Stick for moving, B button does this, A button does that, etc. I personally didn't have a problem with this, but only because I play a lot of video games. A new gamer who had fun with Wii Sports is not going to immediately feel comfortable with Zelda.

BTW, Wii Sports's graphics are as I expected, simple but crisp. No real complaints there. Zelda's graphics on the other hand just suck. Not that anybody plays Zelda for the graphics, but I was really disappointed. It was worse than most of the original Xbox's launch titles.

Anyway, my overall conclusion is that the Wii will sell like crazy, and it's a good deal compared to the 360 and the PS3. If you're an experienced gamer who plays a lot of shooters though, for example, you will prefer a 360 or a PS3.[/quote]

It's not really about what you said.. but reviewers and LOTS of people are bashing the Wii for it's graphics. Didn't mean to make it seem like it was soley for you, my apologies.

Discussion about graphics? Why though...everyones just saying that they KNOW they suck...we aren't defending it at all. Its just everyone bashes them and they suck compared to PS3 and the 360, sure. But...it really doesn't matter to me since I'm quite happy with last gens graphics, plus Nintendo has always had the games I love such as Zelda, Mario, Smash bros, Fire Emblem, etc. Playstation also has the odd good games, such as Final Fantasy and some other little surprises such as Okami and Shadow of the Colossus... but its too expensive and I dont find those games as fun as Nintendos. And...360 has nothing that I like at all...except Halo which I won't buy a console to play, especially if I have to pay extra to play multiplayer which is the most fun part about it in my opinion.

So...simply I'm willing to bet a majority of people with only a Wii think the graphics are good enough (not the best) to enjoy a game almost just as much, and they like Nintendos game more than other consoles... no reason to discuss worse graphics if everyone knows they're worse.

[quote name='lilboo']It's not really about what you said.. but reviewers and LOTS of people are bashing the Wii for it's graphics. Didn't mean to make it seem like it was soley for you, my apologies.[/QUOTE]

Oh, my bad. You quoted me so I thought it was meant for me.

[quote name='rickonker']
It seems like a lot of Wii fans just can't stand any criticism of their holy console.[/QUOTE]

To criticise it for the graphics is just plain stupid. We all knew the graphics were going to be either last gen or slightly improved. Even if a game ends up a little bit worse than last gen it shouldn't really be a big shock. For every single person defending the Wii there is another post from someone saying "I know it wasn't going to look as good as the 360 but this is even worse than I expected". Just go in thinking every game will look like a N64 game and when it looks a little better than that you won't have to complain any more.

If you want to complain about the controls or the repackaging of games go right ahead but don't complain about something that we KNEW the system wasn't going to have.

[quote name='jkam'] For every single person defending the Wii there is another post from someone saying "I know it wasn't going to look as good as the 360 but this is even worse than I expected". Just go in thinking every game will look like a N64 game and when it looks a little better than that you won't have to complain any more.[/QUOTE]

There is no reason to expect N64 graphics and there is no reason to expect GC graphics. Just because someone buys a new system for the controls doesn't mean they can't be disappointed when the graphics don't live up to the power of their already underpowered system. No, they shouldn't expect 360 or PS3 graphics but I see nothing wrong with expecting high quality Xbox graphics.

[quote name='lordwow']I have, for the first time... in a long long time, played until I am exhausted. Graphics or not, the Wii is FUN.[/QUOTE]

Yes, indeed... I think I might need rotator cuff surgery after playing 3 straight games of Wii Sports Baseball last night.

Im going to have to agree that graphics do in fact matter. Its just that becuase of the inovartion of the controls in the Wii its really hard to not be happy with it.
My bro bought COD3 even when I told him to wait for it and get it for maybe for the 360 or for the PS3 cause of the graphics. He said no and bought it anyways. When we got home to play it We noticed the graphics and its wasnt spectacular but when we started playing, it was really hard to notice that its wasnt as good.

But the wii still should have better graphics...

[quote name='JokerCard']
But the wii still should have better graphics...[/QUOTE]

Then we wouldn't have paid the $250 price tag. It would be more :(

[quote name='jkam']Nintendo: We are going to have shitty graphics this gen.

As of right now I only have Zelda and Wii Sports for the Wii and I am enjoying them both. Is Wii Sports perfect? No. Is it fun? Yes. I'm sure there will be shitty games because every console has them. A lot of the Wii's launch titles look unappealing to me as it is. I will be getting a 360 for my HD uber graphics fix. You can have your complaints about the Wii but if you bought it for the graphics you're an idiot. Then if you go and bitch about them on top of it you're an even bigger idiot.[/quote]

I never said that, you're putting words in my mouth... all I said was that you said "Its not about the graphics", and I think you're completely retarded for saying that. Nothing more. The graphics on the gamecube suit me fine, hell anything after Dreamcast is pretty fine with me graphic-wise. I'm just saying stop with the bullshit, graphics is an integral part of the full package. To say otherwise is you're just buying into the hype. I think that Resident Evil (REMAKE) for the gamecube still holds its own against the 360. Other than being a slight pixelated, it still looks amazing.

I dont buy a book because of its cover, but I dont buy paperback books either. Praising Nintendo for not keeping up with the times is counterproductive.

The Wii looks fine, Mario looks great, but if the Wii is an extension of a 5 year old system, then the Wii could possibly be close to maxed out visually already. Whereas the 360 and PS3 have room to grow.

I'm a linguistics fan, and if I can remember correctly, 78% of all people are "Visual" people, while 9% are Audiable, and 13% are kinistetic. (sp)

So, to the general public, 78% of people feel things emotionally visually first, than anything else. Graphics matter, its ALWAYS about the graphics. And to say so otherwise is retarded.

I love Nintendo, but I hate how they run their console division. Thats all. But I hate blind Nintendo followers who act like Reggie gives two shits about them more. Period.

[quote name='lilboo']Then we wouldn't have paid the $250 price tag. It would be more :([/QUOTE]

The Wii has only a tiny harddrive, the 360 without a harddrive is only $50 more. For $250 it should have better graphics.

I don't mind the graphics. Sure they don't look nearly as good as Gears of War, but I don't really have a problem with them. I got exactly what I was expecting: slightly better last gen graphics.
I'm about 10 hours into Zelda and it looks good in some places and somewhat disappointing in others. The lava mine looks nice, and it had some really nice lighting effects. Some areas, like the first area, and Hyrule Field have ground textures that don't look so hot, but the draw distance is pretty far and there are often a lot of things on screen at once, so I don't really mind.
The only other game I've played a lot of is Wii Sports and that's not supposed to have great graphics. I've played a little bit of Rayman, but I'm not really seeing all these graphical problems with the game that everyone else is. I own Red Steel but I'm not going to play it until I finish Gears of War and Call of Duty 3.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I never said that, you're putting words in my mouth... all I said was that you said "Its not about the graphics", and I think you're completely retarded for saying that. Nothing more. The graphics on the gamecube suit me fine, hell anything after Dreamcast is pretty fine with me graphic-wise. I'm just saying stop with the bullshit, graphics is an integral part of the full package. To say otherwise is you're just buying into the hype. I think that Resident Evil (REMAKE) for the gamecube still holds its own against the 360. Other than being a slight pixelated, it still looks amazing.[/quote]

I'm retarded because I said It's not about the graphics? Then you're saying you are ok with anything from the Dreamcast on? Personally I can play a NES game and still enjoy it. I can play Pac-Man and still enjoy it. Stop with the bullshit? I'm not buying into any hype...based on what Nintendo said I assumed the Wii would be a slightly better gamecube with a new control scheme. I'm ok with that. What it comes down to for me is I appreciate Gears of War for its graphics among other things but I sure as hell wouldn't pass on Zelda Twilight Princess just because of some crappy textures. I buy a game to play it not stare at it.

I dont buy a book because of its cover, but I dont buy paperback books either. Praising Nintendo for not keeping up with the times is counterproductive.

Not keeping up with the times? What times? The XBOX 360 times? The PS3 times? Nintendo always kind of hinted at doing something different rather than competing in a power race and in my opinion its about time they put their money where their mouth is. Love em or hate them the wii controls are new and unique. I see the xbox 360's grahics and I think they look great but I really think the graphics era of gaming is coming to an end. This generations improvements on the last gen are less than the previous benefits of new graphics. A lot of people have even said if you aren't playing a 360 on an HDTV it looks like the original xbox. I feel as if Nintendo is more ahead of the times than either Microsoft or Sony. Microsoft is pushing the envelope a bit with LIVE and I think they are in a close second to Nintendo innovation wise. Then there is Sony who is copying everyone else like they have always done.

The Wii looks fine, Mario looks great, but if the Wii is an extension of a 5 year old system, then the Wii could possibly be close to maxed out visually already. Whereas the 360 and PS3 have room to grow.

If Mario looks great why does it have to get better? Better how? Beads of sweat on Mario's head? Who cares? Not me.

Graphics matter, its ALWAYS about the graphics. And to say so otherwise is retarded.

Graphics don't matter to me. It's an opinion. To say I'm retarded for an opinion is retarded.

I love Nintendo, but I hate how they run their console division. Thats all. But I hate blind Nintendo followers who act like Reggie gives two shits about them more. Period.

So don't buy their console. I'm not a blind Nintendo follower. I base my purchases off of the products and games I have enjoyed in the past. I got a Wii and 2 games. I am enjoying them and that's all that matters. Reggie wants to make money like any other right thinking businessman.

Who said we "follow" Nintendo? We like the games...sure if you go to the Nintendo boards you'll find a few true followers, but I just really think it's the best system out there. Yep I agree graphics matter, but the Wii has good enough graphics that it takes no fun out of the game for me. Man how many pages does this have to go on. For those who enjoy the Wii, the graphics are clearly good enough to not affect gameplay for them, and for those that don't, go buy a 360/PS3.

Its funny to say its "all about graphics" to say that is retarded. I mean I'd much sooner play some SNES titles over many of the current 360 games. Graphics do matter ... but it's not "ALWAYS about the graphics" Not at all... and its really come to the point where many including myself can't even tell much of a difference in graphics when playing through a game. All they can really change now is making hair flow nicer, or people sweat better, or grass blades being sharper...it really doesn't matter to me anymore.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I never said that, you're putting words in my mouth... all I said was that you said "Its not about the graphics", and I think you're completely retarded for saying that.

[/QUOTE]

But you're opinion is no better than those that say it's not about the graphics.

Different strokes for different folks. I really don't care about graphics. I'd take an SNES over a PS3 or X-box 360 any day if I could only have one as I think the games are more FUN. As long as their aren't graphical glitches like pop up, slowdown etc that hinder the gameplay, I don't give a shit.

Similarly I never buy hardcover books and only buy paperbacks because they are cheaper. :D

I just don't much care what stuff looks like. When I car shop reliability and gas mileage are far more important than appearance is another example.

That car example also depends on how rich you are though lol...like if you had 1 billion dollars I don't think you'd care too much about gas mileage xD

I, for one, can't get enough of threads where people keep rehashing the same argument over and over until they get the answer they want.

"Nobody in their right mind should ever buy a Nintendo product again."

There, are we done now? I'm going to go motion-control fishing.

GRAPHICS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GAMEPLAY

Welcome to the future. fuck your gameplay. Everything should have space marines and stealth. No space marines in Wii sports. Shaders people. The future of gaming is nit picky things about graphics. I expect perfect Trilinear Bifoscoping hyper aliased shaded ragdoll fuckers in all my games. the wii does not have Trilinear Bifoscoping hyper aliased shaded ragdoll fuckers.

Uhm, if I can go ahead and put my two cents into this thread, then I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

First off, let me start out by saying that I do not own a Wii :gasp: (In fact, I own none of the 3 next-gen consoles :double gasp:); However, I should be getting one in the near future. From what I've seen so far that's been offered from the launch line-up, the graphics are alright, imo. Sure, some titles may look like they've been developed for the Gamecube and some probably don't, but from what I've seen of Zelda, Excite Truck, Red Steel, etc etc, they look alright. But I'm not about to try and start graphics type debate.

I think that for now, sure, the graphics may not be aww-inspiring and may not be so intensive as to make full-use (or to some, even half-use) of the Wii hardware's capabilites just yet, and it may stay that way for about a few months to maybe a year or some time. But, and I know some people might get aggrevated(sp?) at me bringing this up (because they heard so it many times that it might make their ears bleed), the Wii was really never about graphics, plain and simple (okay, soak up the ear blood and come back.) Sure, the graphics are gonna improve, maybe over the next several months or so, but, from what I can make use of how Nintendo wanted to make their console even though I haven't played it, the Wii is about having a kind of fun that you've probably never had with a video game before.

Where I'm really trying to get to is the launch line-up from a different perspective. Now, some may argue that for several, or all launch games that they look bad, for some maybe even worse than what the Gamecube can offer; however (and I might stray a little off topic with this) I don't think that was the point for 95.5% of all the launch games and the developers that worked on them. I think what most developers were trying to do was to focus more on the "innovative" controller and basically test it out, see how it works, and see what it was capable of doing. I mean after all, the Wii-mote and Nunchuck is a major strong point of the console that could ultimately make or break the Wii's success. To me, that's probably one of the reasons why some people might not agree with some of the ingame visuals, due to the devs focusing more on somehting that they had absolutely never experienced before, and focusing less on how much sweat a character may develop if they stand in a high intensity light source for X amount of minutes:lol:.

Okay, so you might not have to flail your arms around like an idiot to swing a sword (hmm, old promotion videos of people playing with the Wii come to mind for some reason), but, I guess the point of the controller was to make it seem such like first-nature that it'd make you want to swing like an idiot that becuase you would have soo much fun with it and become soooo overtaken by how easy it is to do something in-game just by swinging the Wii-mote or holding it a certain way that you would become immersed into the game like you have never been before, and the best part about all of this is wondering what the developers could do next, and how else the developers can manipulate the Wii-mote and Nunchuck to make it do some more off-the-wall stuff.

But any ways(If you've read this far), I think that is what the Wii's launch titles were all about, making you get use to the controller, but that is also not to say the graphics are of some importance and will not improve over time. The way I see it so far: Everyhting the Wii users are experiencing so far, from the graphics to the controls, is only a little taste of what is to come. This is all true as long as the developers do not suddenly lose interest in the Wii, much like they did with the Gamecube.

And by the way: No, I'm not a Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony fanboy. I'll admit that Nintendo had several shortcomings with the Gamecube, but I really think they got it in the pocket with the Wii.

My 2 cents, KthxBie.

[quote name='jkam']
Graphics don't matter to me. It's an opinion. To say I'm retarded for an opinion is retarded.[/quote]

Thank you Dr. Obvious, but you realize you started all this with your fuck-laced rant stating "ITS NOT ABOUT THE GRAPHICS!" as fact. Not as opinion, as the fact of Nintendo's design, and all the other meatheads didnt get it. So now you've put words in my mouth, and then twisted the arguement to favor your side. Well, now that you've changed your perspective, I assume the little debate we had is over. Thanks for agreeing with me, that your "ITS NOT ABOUT THE GRAPHICS" comment is BS, because whats your opinion is yours and what's mine is mine.

I personally favor graphics that are "clean". Like I love Dreamcast and up 3d, but I cant stand PS1 pixelated 3D.... I love all 2D, as long as it's not a green box representing a person... Now I've played plenty of Atari and PS1 when they were the hot shit, and I loved the games at the time, but I wouldnt play a new game with those graphics cause I hate not knowing whats going on, so for me, its about the graphics, but its about the whole package in the end.

[quote name='Apossum']GRAPHICS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GAMEPLAY

Welcome to the future. fuck your gameplay. Everything should have space marines and stealth. No space marines in Wii sports. Shaders people. The future of gaming is nit picky things about graphics. I expect perfect Trilinear Bifoscoping hyper aliased shaded ragdoll fuckers in all my games. the wii does not have Trilinear Bifoscoping hyper aliased shaded ragdoll fuckers.[/quote]

Welcome to the future, for some reason we cant seem to make a good game with good graphics AND good gameplay. Only one or the other. Please, take your lame-ass comments elsewhere, the adults are talking.

Here's the flipside of all of this, until the Gamecube, Nintendo was the "PS3" of every generation... they had the best graphics... and the Gamecube was still #2 in graphics (Some games still looked better than Xbox). So I'm assuming that the nintendo sucked all the generations before this one because they had good graphics.

Nintendo has had the best or almost the best graphics in every year of they're videogaming existance. And I dont remember once, where I thought they tapped out of ideas to make Mario look better. I remember that at one time they used the power of N64 to create a Mario powerup that made him Metal Mario... I guess with a more powerful system they ran out of ideas to make Mario look awesome? I figured that with a more powerful graphical engine they could make some pretty awesome backdrops and powerups.... but I guess all they can do is add beads of sweat like all you Nintendo Zelots seem to say.

In terms of the graphics/gameplay debate - my biggest test of graphics is whether or not I can clearly see the world around me, and if it looks artistically competent.

Stuff all the pretty effects in you want (anyone remember the days where even PS1 dungeon crawlers had lens flare?), but I think we tend to forget that there's more to graphical prowess than the number of teraflops behind a given texture.

Long story short - I love Zelda's graphical style. Technologically, it may not be up to snuff with Gears of War, but that doesn't mean I don't like looking at it.

Also, can we remember that for the vast majority of people, debates over 480 vs. 720 vs. 1080i or p DON'T REALLY MATTER. Until we get to the end of this generation, we're not even talking about mass market technology for the average mom-buying-their-kid-a-system.

[quote name='hegemonyhog']Also, can we remember that for the vast majority of people, debates over 480 vs. 720 vs. 1080i or p DON'T REALLY MATTER. Until we get to the end of this generation, we're not even talking about mass market technology for the average mom-buying-their-kid-a-system.[/quote]

I think you hit the nail on the head right there.

[quote name='Spades22']That car example also depends on how rich you are though lol...like if you had 1 billion dollars I don't think you'd care too much about gas mileage xD[/QUOTE]

Not for me, gas mileage would still be a top concern for environmental reasons.

Not to mentioni if I ever get rich (aside from winning the lottery) it would be from being very thrifty as my field doesn't pay all that well. :(

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Thank you Dr. Obvious, but you realize you started all this with your fuck-laced rant stating "ITS NOT ABOUT THE GRAPHICS!" as fact. Not as opinion, as the fact of Nintendo's design, and all the other meatheads didnt get it. So now you've put words in my mouth, and then twisted the arguement to favor your side. Well, now that you've changed your perspective, I assume the little debate we had is over. Thanks for agreeing with me, that your "ITS NOT ABOUT THE GRAPHICS" comment is BS, because whats your opinion is yours and what's mine is mine.

I personally favor graphics that are "clean". Like I love Dreamcast and up 3d, but I cant stand PS1 pixelated 3D.... I love all 2D, as long as it's not a green box representing a person... Now I've played plenty of Atari and PS1 when they were the hot shit, and I loved the games at the time, but I wouldnt play a new game with those graphics cause I hate not knowing whats going on, so for me, its about the graphics, but its about the whole package in the end.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I did start out on a rant (mainly from hearing this debated way too much) and I never said you couldn't have an opinion. I do think it is counter productive to complain about the graphics when Nintendo let us know a long time ago that they wouldn't be in the 360 \ PS3 range. Was it the right decision? You may not think so but at least realize that there are people including me who really don't give a crap.

Oh christ. This discussion again.

1. Nintendo could have made a giant $600 system too, but w/e.

2. Nintendo is banking on the fact that graphical innovations is a system of diminishing returns. Development costs coupled with games almost, almost looking like a full blown movie.

3. So far, next gen = bigger and better graphics. Some gamers still think that way and think Sony/Microsoft is winning this gen. Others think that Nintendo is smart to do something different. The split is abouit 70-30ish in favor of graphics so far (except on CAG where things are closer to 45-55 in favor of Nintendo).

4. Most people are bored with this fucking argument. All the systems are out right now and in three months, you'll be able to vote with your wallet at the local Wal Mart whenever anything is back in stock.

That's it. That's the list.

Nintendo sucked cause it had the best graphics all those years? WTH!!! Ok ITS ABOUT THE GAMEPLAY FIRST, THEN the graphics. If you have a game with great graphics and bad gameplay it'll suck, which is how I feel about many of the PS3 and 360 games. I just don't like the games they deliver as a majority are shooters. Now if you have DECENT graphics and FUN gameplay, the game will rock. Which is how I feel about many Nintendo games. Simple as that, it's not fanboyism or anything... it's just that Nintendo continues to produce the games I enjoy most, and even come out with some killer new titles that I really like (erx. Pikmin and Fire Emblem). Xbox 360 is very similar in price, but I don't like their games as much so I won't buy them. I don't see what is hard to understand or why there is an argument...

Oh ya and I actually never thought about that for a car, the environment xD, I guess thats why the guy who made Walmart still drives an old beater lol

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Welcome to the future, for some reason we cant seem to make a good game with good graphics AND good gameplay. Only one or the other. Please, take your lame-ass comments elsewhere, the adults are talking.

Here's the flipside of all of this, until the Gamecube, Nintendo was the "PS3" of every generation... they had the best graphics... and the Gamecube was still #2 in graphics (Some games still looked better than Xbox). So I'm assuming that the nintendo sucked all the generations before this one because they had good graphics.

Nintendo has had the best or almost the best graphics in every year of they're videogaming existance. And I dont remember once, where I thought they tapped out of ideas to make Mario look better. I remember that at one time they used the power of N64 to create a Mario powerup that made him Metal Mario... I guess with a more powerful system they ran out of ideas to make Mario look awesome? I figured that with a more powerful graphical engine they could make some pretty awesome backdrops and powerups.... but I guess all they can do is add beads of sweat like all you Nintendo Zelots seem to say.[/QUOTE]

I missed the part that dictates that as soon as new system comes out, all other systems become obsolete and look like shit. They set out to make a budget system that focused on gameplay. Not too hard to figure out. I think everyone had the "graphics aren't as good" revelation during E3. I think Gamecube games look fine and since is the Wii is more powerful, all the better. For gameplay fans, it's a non-issue.

They don't need PS3 horsepower to make things look good. I guarantee Smash Bros brawl and Super Mario Galaxy will look perfect without all the extra crap. Nobody cares about seeing pores on mario's face.

If you want to be "adult" about the discussion, then talk about graphical styles rather than how "good" graphics are :roll:

Unless you are DNF, development resources are limited. When you do something with online functionality, offline multiplayer, or even high resolutions, those are dev resources that could be going towards the core single player game.

This is one of the reasons why the Soul Calibur and Tekken communities didnt want all those extra modes or online play, they wanted them to not make the games so broken.

Okay. I'm about 7 hours into Zelda, I've plopped about 4 hours into Red Steel(I'm sorry) and a few hours into Monkey Ball and Wii Sports. I'm gonna say this. Not once have I noticed that the graphics were bad enough to detract from my game experiance. I'm not looking for it, I'm looking for a good time, and I'm getting it.

Also, the RE4 argument is pretty stupid when you try and compare it to the Wii. That game was in development for how long? And Capcom had plenty of experiance with the Cube after doing all the REmakes.

[quote name='Sgt. Baker']Okay. I'm about 7 hours into Zelda, I've plopped about 4 hours into Red Steel(I'm sorry) and a few hours into Monkey Ball and Wii Sports. I'm gonna say this. Not once have I noticed that the graphics were bad enough to detract from my game experiance. I'm not looking for it, I'm looking for a good time, and I'm getting it.

QFT.

bread's done
Back