Wii Fit - Gen. Discussion & Info - What's your Fit age?

[quote name='mephitical']As far as I know, none of us ever got our fat pants to pose with as triumphant $$$s.

Lately I've been really enjoying the "paired" yoga+exercises. It's the closest to an actual routine the game has, and when you mix them with aerobics you work up a hell of a sweat. Is anyone comfortable with the tightrope walk? I just don't get it - I can do it, but I'm really slow and can't get more than two stars.[/quote]

the tightrope animation is retarded...but i guess it works. it just tells you to stretch your arms out, then step in place, leaning your body to keep balance yourself on the rope.

you know how in the skiing or some exercises, they make a blue bar to tell your where your balance should be? imagine it as being the dot in the middle of the wii board. concentrate on that dot as the center of balance and then step fast, lean in the right direction to get your balance back. i got 3 stars...but that's also b/c i've tried the tightrope like 27 times. quite annoying but finally got some results.

My first WiiFit related injury occurred this morning. I was 28 minutes through a 30 minute free run when I felt a strain in my calf. Finished the last two minutes with a limp (that's when you know WiiFit is just as important as any other game on the market) but walking around the city today it was really sore. The subway steps were particularly challenging.

It looks like I might be on the shelf for a few days but at least I'll be able to find the time to play Mario Kart again.

[quote name='drfunk85']I've lost ~12 lbs since getting Wii Fit. To be fair, that probably has more to do with going on a diet than the exercise, because I haven't been using it all THAT much, but I'm willing to be Nintendo's "Subway Jared" if they want.[/quote]

Wow, 12 lbs is alot in just a few weeks. Just be careful not to gain it back. I hear it's faster to gain back weight if you lose it quickly rather than slowly over time.

I haven't lost anything, I'm pretty much the same weight + or - 2lbs. I typically always eat healthy so my diet hasn't changed much, however I drink beer which I've recently stop doing for a few weeks now. I really didn't expect to see a drastic change right off the bat, but if I don't see something soon, like in the next week or two, I'm gonna start getting depressed.

[quote name='Rodimus']
I haven't lost anything, I'm pretty much the same weight + or - 2lbs. I typically always eat healthy so my diet hasn't changed much, however I drink beer which I've recently stop doing for a few weeks now. I really didn't expect to see a drastic change right off the bat, but if I don't see something soon, like in the next week or two, I'm gonna start getting depressed.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm in a similar position - lost about 1.5lbs in the two weeks since I got it. I was hoping for more but as I hadn't really been doing any exercise in the two months before I got WiiFit (that's what finishing a thesis will get ya) I'm figuring that I'll only start to get real results now.

That makes my injured calf all the more annoying. Still, if nothing else, I feel better and my posture/balance has improved dramatically.

Any opinion on a silicon cover? I'm really worried about keeping my things clean, and people seem to say that this thing will get dirty quickly.

But when I look at reviews for skins, they say that 1) it'll throw off the weight mechanism, and 2) they'll attract hair and dust and make it look dirty anyway.

Going to try it out for the first time tonight.

I play bare foot and I haven't had a dirt problem with my pad at all.

I play about 30 - 40 minutes a day. How long does everyone else play for?

[quote name='Strell']Any opinion on a silicon cover? I'm really worried about keeping my things clean, and people seem to say that this thing will get dirty quickly.

But when I look at reviews for skins, they say that 1) it'll throw off the weight mechanism, and 2) they'll attract hair and dust and make it look dirty anyway.

Going to try it out for the first time tonight.[/QUOTE]

I thought about getting the cover but the mixed reviews made me skip it. In the end I picked up a nice yoga mat and put the board on there. I found that without it my feet would pick shit up off the rug even if it was vacuumed the day before.

As long as you have clean feet to start with then the mat (since you don't really need to get off of it) should alleviate your fears of soiling the board.

i want mine to get dirty. it adds character. like the smash bros team that wore the bumps off their gamecube controllers cause they played so much. people will look at my black balance board (and my ripped abs) and be like, "whoa, you're a wii fit master."

Everyone talks about WiiFit making them lose weight but I wonder what it does for underweight people. I'll probably track my progress if/when I get WiiFit (it's at the bottom of my ToBuyList). I'm 19, 5' 11", and 105 lbs.

I'm not the type to enjoy exercise but this could be interesting. The game will probably make me do push ups out the asshole though.

Holy fucking shit the pushups/arm swing thing hurt.

Also, Hitler waved me on as I ran around the island. That made me feel special.

It said I was 28 (I'm 25), which I felt was ok. Does say my BMI puts me at overweight. I know I'm not as thin/toned as I could be, but I'm quite positive that muscle is throwing that off a bit. So that's ok too.

I'm mostly surprised at how well it tracks balancing. I figured it would be an on/off switch sort of thing - you either are balancing well or you aren't. To see that little dot fly around the way it does when it culminates all the movement at the end of an exercise is almost embarrassing.

I'll probably play it more tonight, as I'm surprised at how much I like it. I don't think it's revolutionary, but it's fun and simple enough to make me want to keep going.

Yukine isn't in this thread, so he won't see this, but his Mii is a bitch.

I did the running game for the first time, so it forced me on the shortest/slowest one, telling me to not go past that trainer Mii.

Yukine's Mii lapped me three times. THREE TIMES. He'd pass me by, and I'd get angry. And then a minute later, HE'D DO IT AGAIN!

Motherfucker needs to know what the score is. I wanted to go beat his ass, but I'm sure Wii Fit wouldn't have approved.

Speaking of which - does Wii Fit have one of those "You should go play outside!" messages? That would be the ultimate irony.

[quote name='Strell']Yukine isn't in this thread, so he won't see this, but his Mii is a bitch.

I did the running game for the first time, so it forced me on the shortest/slowest one, telling me to not go past that trainer Mii.

Yukine's Mii lapped me three times. THREE TIMES. He'd pass me by, and I'd get angry. And then a minute later, HE'D DO IT AGAIN!

Motherfucker needs to know what the score is. I wanted to go beat his ass, but I'm sure Wii Fit wouldn't have approved.

Speaking of which - does Wii Fit have one of those "You should go play outside!" messages? That would be the ultimate irony.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Usually when you hit after 30 minutes. 30-45 minutes I get that message. "It's good to take a break of 15 minutes for every hour of activity" and it has the window open and tells you to drink lots of water.

[quote name='Strell']I did the running game for the first time, so it forced me on the shortest/slowest one, telling me to not go past that trainer Mii.[/QUOTE]

If you get passed by a dog, sprint past your trainer and you'll follow the dog along a different path. If you want to see more of the island, that's how you do it.

Of course, now I've unlocked the Free Run and just tend to do that. The jogging was hurting my knee a lot (along with my feet), but then I started running on one of those foam puzzle mats and I can do 10 minutes without too much trouble.

I should get to set a new goal today, since it's been 2 weeks. My original goal was way too long term, so I'll be setting a much more realistic goal of dropping 3 pounds in a month. Are we going to start a month-long "Meet your goal" thread that liboo talked about?

My Wii Fit age has been below my actual age for two days in a row now and I am gaining weight towards my goal (although that may be because I like to exercise when I'm due to drop the kids off at the pool). I'm four years younger than I actually am. I wonder what the age floor is, or if the ultimate Wii Fit age is 0.

My guess for males it would be 18. Most things I've read/heard state that the Male body tends to peak out around 18 then start to deteriorate slowly over time. Women peak later but I'm not sure exactly when.

ow@calves

This is why I'll be using Wii Fit as a supplement to the gym - it ends up hitting muscles and things I never really work out. It's kind of a silly fun thing, it's kind of motivational, and it tracks stuff well enough that I can keep track easily.

And because I need to run down Yukine's Mii and give him whatfor.

WHERE WERE YOU TODAY, YUKEYUKE?

HUH? HUH?

SCARED OF ME AND BOB MARLEY?

'Course you were. Don't bring that weak shit into my house.

well i'm gonna jump in here, as i got my copy last night.

im not ashamed of my stats so here they are...

height: 5'7
weight: ~173
bmi: (i forget the exact number but i think it was around 27)

now here's the interesting part of my story. at the end of 2006 i weighed 240 pounds. i turned my life around and dropped that 70 pounds since then by walking/changing my diet/running. now that im starting wii fit, i know i'll keep losing, but im just curious if the game will help me lose faster. i currently only exercise when the weather is nice since i dont belong to a gym. wii fit gives me the oppurtunity to get a solid 30 minutes per night. i probably wont bother with it other than to weigh in on nights that i run.

so,.. that being said.. i'll post updates every now and then!

:rofl: See..weighing yourself everyday is not good for you (Mentally) and I just figured that out.

I've been doing my weight in and body test in the morning (then a few yoga moves). Well, right now I just woke up and I'm NOT getting on the board. The problem is I can feel it in my stomach that I have to go, but my body isn't ready to do that right now.. :headache:..and I refuse to get on the board because I KNOW it'll say I gained a pound or 3...and I'm not ready to see that :bomb:

EDIT: OK only gained .02 pounds. I can deal with that.. *no lunch today*

so this thing actually helps right?
i think i may get it and my BB said theyre getting it in on sunday so i might go check it out

also my sister seems to think dont tell any guys ur getting it since its a girls game :lol:

I put the spacers on the thing, and it correctly weighed me, but that caused it to think on my second day that my weight shot up over one night by 16 pounds.

And yet then it said my WF Age was 20, where it was 28 the day before. Not sure what to think about that.

I just got back from the gym, but I'll be putting in 30-45 minutes later on. Calves still fucking hurt, but I'll work through that.

So now that I've played this three days in a row, I figured out something really interesting. The way the game provides feedback is actually quite unique.

Traditional games tend to give you some sort of goal - save the princess, kill the bad guy, etc. The reward is usually some kind of ending credits/screen/animation. Sometimes it is a simplistic "You won" screen, and other times its a movie. But having gamed as long as I have, an ending tends to be little more than an afterthought, with a few exceptions (Earthbound, FF6, and Chrono Trigger come to mind, and I hear all sorts of great things about MGS3's ending).

But the point is that we - as longtime gamers - are sort of used to it, and can tend to predict what an ending will be like, usually either temporary and tack-on versus drawn-out and conclusive.

Wii Fit, however, hits different chords - it's giving you a much more real feedback in the literal sense. That isn't to say it is better than an abstract ending, it's simply a different kind of congratulations - one that hits you more in your own reality. So when you balance better during a yoga exercise, your score goes up. A little fanfare plays, your trainer usually congratulates you, and you tend to see improved progress on your overall chart.

It's a very different feeling than I'm used to in a game - it's like a meta-reality in and of itself.

It's further extended when you do something like the running game, which I have a little bit of an infatuation with at the moment. I'm a long distance runner by trade, so seeing an island where you are doing nothing but that hits me on different level than most other gaming experiences. You're being motivated as you go with fun little messages, the island is serene and zen-like, and the scenery is overall calming but varied.

But perhaps the biggest thing I like is the Mii integration. Instead of just a simple running game, you're now surrounded by a bunch of Miis that resemble friends, family, and celebrities alike. It's a very odd experience to think about running behind, say, a fellow CAG or a real life friend, and then seeing various personalities wave you on or run aside you. Conan O'Brien was on the trail today, and Hitler was rooting for me.

It's this really weird cerebral effect that the game orchestrates - it's actually perfect motivation, because you (on some small level) sort of feel like you actually are running with all these people around you.

I mean I've done a lot of running, and it tends to be such a downer - going across busy streets, down dark roads, around houses, across fields...there's very little sense of satisfaction when you're doing it. Then you start to get a cramp in your side, or your ankle starts to hurt, or you realize just how hot it is, or the complete and total lack of feedback from any outside source (barring an occasional honk by an asshole in a car). It's loud, the air is heavy, you're breathing really hard, and the only thing pushing you forward is that you've already run 3-4 miles and are some good distance from your home, so you might as well keep going to finish it out.

I don't think Wii Fit can replace real exercise, but I do think it really does affect the user on a different level than both A) real world exercise and B) other games in general. As much as I know the little jogging thing isn't doing much for me, I still really enjoy it - there's just something about the way it is motivating you to keep going across this virtual sunny island.

So anyway, three days in a row. I'm going to try and keep the chain going as long as I can.

[quote name='Strell'] I'm a long distance runner by trade...[/quote]
This explains so much.

I am also obsessed with the jogging game, although in the last few days the various Yoga poses have really supplanted everything else in my routine. I hate sounding like a YogaDouche™, but I've never felt anything like the way my body feels after some of these poses.

[quote name='PhoenixT']neat! I want a bronze piggy :(. How much time did you put in till that happend lilboo?[/QUOTE]

10 hours in credits

+4 lbs in a week. That damn pizza is just so good, and I don't want to waste money by not eating it all.

Just picked this up at BB after being on the fence for a minute. After reading what you guys have said, I was convinced to try it solely for the Yoga. Some kind of stretching/focus routine has been what I've been trying to integrate in my daily life.

After my first 30 minutes, I am very pleased. I already have a pretty good gym (Bench, dumbells, rack) in my house, but the weight training acutally got me sweating. Then I did the lunges and felt a little burn after, needless to say I was extremely suprised at the exercise effectiveness. Body weight routines are nice. Then I transistioned to Yoga and really enjoyed it.

Strell, I'm not going to bother quoting your thesis :cool: to reference you, but I agree with you 100%. For me, the interactivity of weighing yourself in is more fun than simply weighing on a scale and writing it down. Eventually, I'd like to unlock all the yoga and make a nightly routine of it. Even the gf, who does a lot of the fitness center activities (Yoga, pliates, etc.) was impressed with the quality of the workouts.

Anyone else who is on the fence, the game is really fun. If you have a small interest in it, the game will get you hooked.

The best 15 minute morning routine (do this first thing in the morning): Do about 4 Yoga exercises. 2 of them being the kind that makes you feel really good, and the other 2 be the kind that are kinda difficult. After that, do Super Hula Hoop (3 minutes) and that's it.

:drool:
I feel pretty good after that!

So, uhh.. is everyone still doing this? :shame:

I know I am. Actually, since it came out I only missed one day. :holier than thou:

Anywho, we are confused as to if we are actually losing any weight. See, when I started this it said 158.3 (which was kinda low, since I thought I was around 161/162). The next day I lost .2, the following day I gained like .6 and then the NEXT day I gained 5.5 LOL? But this was ALSO when we had tried using the extenders..just to see. We had tried it because the weight was coming up a bit lower for both of us, but then the extenders seemed to have given us like 5 more pounds each :cry:

If I WAS around the 165 ballpark, then I lost 5 1/2 lbs using JUST this. (I haven't been to the gym in a hot minute..) Today it said I was 159.4 so, hooray! I also got on the bathroom scale and it said 159.6 so that's pretty accurate then. I've been trying to do both lately just to see if they match up and they have.

So hooray for losing 5 1/2 lbs.\\:D/
I got like another 700lbs to go, :anorexia:, but this is a slow and nice pace. I keep losing 0.2 - 0.4lbs each day.

Plus after last night's sex, the yoga IS making me a bit more flexible.. :oops:

I'm still using it lilboo , missed a few times this week but I'm trying to be regular about using this in the morning and then going to the gym in the evening. Ideally my regimine would be Wii Fit 7 days a week , gym 6 days a week but given the adjustment period and me just being around 2 weeks off being sick it may take a bit to hit that ideal state.

I'm still using it - probably averaging four days a week with it, 30-60 minutes a session depending on how much time I have. I have a few standby exercises that make me feel good, but when I have more time I try to add in some strength and yoga exercises that I'm not very good at.

Of course I'm still doing this.

fucker Yukine outran me again. Him, Bill Cosby, Santa, and Iwata are all on my list.

Bill Cosby, don't think cheering me on the day afterward will spare you the wrath.

Also, I like how Reggie fell down right before the finish line. That was awesome.

Of course then he flew up into the air laughing maniacally, and then the island blew up.

I'm still using it on average of 5 days a weeks, 30-40 minutes a day. I haven't lost any weight, but I'm not really fat to begin with. All I really want to do is lose 7-8 lbs.

I finally got my bronze piggy.

So earlier today I got $90 in EB/GS credit and this came into debate of something I should pick up. For all you owners, what would you rate this strictly on fun factor? I want the board for all the eventual board compatible games anyway but I think I need an extra push. There is a lot of things you could do with that store credit.

[quote name='CouRageouS']So earlier today I got $90 in EB/GS credit and this came into debate of something I should pick up. For all you owners, what would you rate this strictly on fun factor? I want the board for all the eventual board compatible games anyway but I think I need an extra push. There is a lot of things you could do with that store credit.[/QUOTE]

I know from that "lose weight in 2008 thread" you seem to enjoy working out. Despite how this game looks, there really are some tough workouts here that really do make you sweat like a pig, and really sore the nexy day. It's fun if you like that kind of stuff. The balance GAMES themselves are OK..but it's really the workouts that really shine in the game.

Lately it's been really neat for me to see me inch my way to my goal. I have to be 6.6lbs lighter by next Wednesday :lol: ...but today I had a loss of .9 lbs and I have been on a small, but steady, decrease all week. That's fun to me.

I would say it's def a good investment. It'll never beat a gym, but it CAN be used for one of them days where you don't feel like going to the gym. ...or even just something you do extra in your day :shrug:

For what it is, and with a good amount of games supporting the balance board, I would def say it's worth it. Yeah, this game could be better if it featured more customization. If it had some kind of multiplayer mode (Not a PARTY mode, just a mode maybe where people can take turns doing stuff..). But it's good for what it is.

Ok time for breakfast. I have more weight to lose :lol:

Yea I definitely wouldn't buy it for the fitness aspect. I work at a health club (I'm here right now) and I also have a 24 hour fitness membership. I'm literally at the gym everyday in one form or another. I want to see this as fun but at the same time don't want it to turn out as $90 down the drain. The board's possibilities with other games are really so attracting, as is the curiousity of trying it out for myself.

Though I can see myself trying to use it daily to justify the money. I already know that BMI will call me obese. IIRC BMI at my height 5' 10" and age 22 wants me to be around 140-160 lbs. I easily weigh anywhere within 190-200 depending on my fluid intake/activities. Is there a option to click if you are on the roids? :lol:

You should sue them for slander. BMI is really bullshit. Wii Fit isn't exactly helping the real fitness world by adapting it, considering how large their audience is.

I also wonder how accurate that scale really is. From what I've read the results are all over the place.

I started this up for only the third time. We opened it on 06/01/08 and have had a three day power outage among other really crazy weather and happenings.

I for one cant stand the balance games. Not because they are bad, but I have hard time standing still. I never realized this before, but I can sit still all day.... standing perfectly still ,on the center of gravity tests, gets me very, very anxious. I don't know if is my caffeine intake or what, but I jumped on for the body test last night, and as soon as it was done I got off the board.

I am eager to really dig into this, but have yet really focused on doing so.

As far as the scale being inaccurate, I think its pretty good... you can lie to it about the weight of your clothing, and the flooring material under it without the extensions) I am sure has a lot to do with any variations.

I weigh myself in pretty much just shorts at home and on the medical scale in the gym locker room. I'd wonder how the Balance Board will compare as I find the gym scale and my home scale match up when I weigh myself again when I get home.

An interesting thing is some pairs of shorts can add almost an extra pound.

I probably am going to just pull the trigger and pick it up. I'll be sure to post a hula hoop video to show off how all these squats have been paying off in the roundness of my ass. Only for CAG premium members though.

[quote name='CouRageouS']You should sue them for slander. BMI is really bullshit. Wii Fit isn't exactly helping the real fitness world by adapting it, considering how large their audience is.

I also wonder how accurate that scale really is. From what I've read the results are all over the place.[/quote]
I give this fun factor 4, but enjoyment factor 9. I know they sound like the same thing, but the difference is that you can't show Wii Fit off to your friends and family and make everyone have a good time with it the way you can with other Wii accessories. When I am using it, I'm not necessarily smiling like an idiot the way I do when I play Dr. Mario, but I feel good and am happy I have it.

As far as the weight thing goes, you can tell Wii Fit how much your clothes weigh. I've never had the wild weight variances that others have reported - I'm playing on carpet with the extensions and am usually within 1-2 pounds of my actual weight. I like the BMI thing, because I'm within a point of their "goal" BMI of 22. I know it's pretty much meaningless, but it still makes me feel like I'm winning at Wii Fit.

I also wonder about the scale accuracy. I weighed myself today and I'm 171 lbs (that's good) then I weighed myself on my normal scale and it says I'm 179 (that's bad)

I'm not sure which one to trust.

bread's done
Back