Wii Pre-Order Thread - Facts, Rumors and Everything In Between

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecofreak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Some people have been asking about preordering the Wii. Right now there are two confirmed locations about where one can jump on the boat early.

B0009VXBAQ.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V41617776_.jpg

1. Gamestop
For Previous Information on Pre-Order Deal for HAWAII ONLY - Refer to this post: this post
Conditions: Unknown
Start of Preorder: Unknown
Link: http://www.gamestop.com/gs/wii/wii_signup.asp?

2. Amazon (Thanks to bmarquardt for the Heads Up)
Start of Preorder: September 15th
Link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009VXBAQ/

3. FYE
Conditions: Put down $50
Start of Preorder: Sometime during late spring 2006
Store Locations: http://shop.fye.com/StoreLocator.aspx

4. Lik-Sang.com
Conditions: No Money Down
1. Your pre-order is not binding and you can cancel at any time.
2. Once release details are known, you will receive an email that you need to confirm.
3. Should you decide to confirm, you will keep your position in the pre-order list.
4. Unit price and features are not confirmed and can change at any time.
5. Release date is not confirmed and might change.
6. The product is listed with a dummy price - your credit card is NOT charged.
7. All special pre-orders are limited to a maximum of 1 unit.
8. Depending on release schedule, you will be offered choice between European, US or Japanese.
9. Choices and changes are also allowed if several editions/colors are made available.
10. Once games and accessories are confirmed, you will be able to add them to your order.
Start of Preorder: I forgot ^^;
Link: http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=351&products_id=6998&

I will update the post as more pre-orders (hopefully) start up. Good hunting!

[quote name='SpazX']I signed up for lik-sang like two months ago, but I'm sure that will end up being pointless. Since it's on a sunday I could always go to a 24 hour wal-mart, would they actually start selling at midnight or what?[/quote]
We all remember that 360 shit all over the idiot box last year, with people stealing them and what not. I am guessing same deal this year with the Wii...

[quote name='mick16']I just put down a $50 deposit on the Wii at the FYE at Somerset Mall in Troy, MI tonight. The guy said I was 2nd on the list, so hopefully this one works out better than reserving the 360 at Gamestop which I'd probably still be waiting to arrive had I not canceled the pre-order in January.[/QUOTE]

Completely OT - but CAG and Somerset Mall seems like a total contradiction in terms.

Judging by the rest of this thread, I won't bet $ on FYE. Sounds like I'm better off waiting for the GS/EB pre-order deals.

If you pre-ordered Twilight Princess for the GameCube from GameStop/EB, an automated system is supposed to be calling you to inform you that you can switch your GCN version to the Wii version.

More information on this is over at the Wiire...

The Wiire's article also makes a slight mention of GameStop/EB pre-order status for the Wii console itself, and while it seems a little unclear (probably a typo on The Wiire's part), it looks as if they aren't taking pre-orders yet (based on the fact that The Wiire used the word 'nor').

Whenever they do start, I plan to be there to get a pre-order.

[quote name='Ma12kez']Same here. It was kind of shady in my opinion, but at least I've got my receipt to get my money back just in case they try anything.[/quote]

Fye really screwed me over on the 360. It took them months to get mine in and I was number 2 on the list. The first guy didnt get his for at least a month after launch.

I was told at eb (at least two months ago) that if I reserve a wii game I will automatically be put on the list for the system when that list arrives. I called yesterday to see where I was on the list and they said "sorry but we arent allowed to do what we told you we were going to. There is NO reserve list for the Wii and when it comes it will be first come first serve." So they got me to reserve a game and the only reason I did it was to reserve the system and that didnt even happen. fuck them!!!

I will probably end up reserving at GS or EB but I think my best bet may in fact be someplace like BJs or Sam's Club.

[quote name='fivecardstud']i just got a call from "erin" at gamestop (a recording) saying that Friday morning they are taking pre-orders for Zelda for the wii... Don't know about the system itself though. They are adding 20% bonus credit to all games traded in towards zelda though.

Here's hoping it stacks with the bonus $10 and 10% Edge card...[/quote]

It totally does. the only thing you can reserve today, as of right now is Zelda- NO SYSTEM yet!!! I am pretty annoyed but whatever.

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']Fye really screwed me over on the 360. It took them months to get mine in and I was number 2 on the list. The first guy didnt get his for at least a month after launch.

I was told at eb (at least two months ago) that if I reserve a wii game I will automatically be put on the list for the system when that list arrives. I called yesterday to see where I was on the list and they said "sorry but we arent allowed to do what we told you we were going to. There is NO reserve list for the Wii and when it comes it will be first come first serve." So they got me to reserve a game and the only reason I did it was to reserve the system and that didnt even happen. fuck them!!!

I will probably end up reserving at GS or EB but I think my best bet may in fact be someplace like BJs or Sam's Club.[/quote]
Two things to note:

1) Think about how many systems were available for the XBOX 360 launch--estimates were somewhere around 400,000. We don't have the exact number from Nintendo yet, but I think we can safely assume that it will be WELL over that amount. Then, months after launch, Microsoft was slow to re-supply stores with stock. Nintendo plans on 4 million worldwide before the end of 2006 with a majority to North America, according to several sources.

2) It also depends on your specific FYE store. Some have tiny video game sections while others have large ones. That, along with the proximity of the next closest FYE location, determines the number of systems that your store gets. Mine, for instance, has equal video games, movies, and music, and is the only store within 100 miles. Therefore, it got at least 8 360s at launch.

Besides Wal-Mart, what other stores will releasing the game at midnight?

Thanks for any help, guys. I've never pre-ordered a system before, so I'm kinda finicky about it.

[quote name='bryankot']Yeah, what's up with preordering at amazon.com Do you think it's a safe bet?[/quote]

Well you can cancel anytime if you ever change your mind. And they don't charge you until your order actually ships to your location.

Oh god damn it I waited about 30 seconds while typing that question into this forum and now Amazon doesn't have the preorder option up for the wii

Yea i never saw the PreOrder Button
i have it that they will email me but so far to no avail.
hmmm I WANT NO TAX AND FREE SHIPPING now give me it.

[quote name='Ecofreak']Some people have been asking about preordering the Wii. Right now there are two confirmed locations about where one can jump on the boat early.

1. Amazon
Start of Preorder: September 15th
Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...800133-1157516

1. FYE
Conditions: Put down $50
Start of Preorder: Sometime during late spring 2006
Store Locations: http://shop.fye.com/StoreLocator.aspx

2. Lik-Sang.com
Conditions: No Money Down
1. Your pre-order is not binding and you can cancel at any time.
2. Once release details are known, you will receive an email that you need to confirm.
3. Should you decide to confirm, you will keep your position in the pre-order list.
4. Unit price and features are not confirmed and can change at any time.
5. Release date is not confirmed and might change.
6. The product is listed with a dummy price - your credit card is NOT charged.
7. All special pre-orders are limited to a maximum of 1 unit.
8. Depending on release schedule, you will be offered choice between European, US or Japanese.
9. Choices and changes are also allowed if several editions/colors are made available.
10. Once games and accessories are confirmed, you will be able to add them to your order.
Start of Preorder: I forgot ^^;
Link: http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=351&products_id=6998&

I will update the post as more pre-orders (hopefully) start up. Good hunting![/quote]
hmmm that amazon thing looks funny though when u click the link its the Amazon 404 not found not even a sold out banner.

[quote name='bryankot']Oh god damn it I waited about 30 seconds while typing that question into this forum and now Amazon doesn't have the preorder option up for the wii[/quote]
It looks like they took out the pre-order option. That was pretty fast, I wonder how many orders will actually go through then.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']Joined the pre-order club with an order from Amazon[/quote] Can you take a screenshot of your recent orders just to confirm that it was there? of course edit your personal info and such.

Edit: Nevermind didnt see other thread.

[quote name='bryankot']So what is the deal with walmart at midnight? Do they sell the wii right at midnight?[/quote]

Wal Mart will sell at midnight, or at least that has been my experience with 360, PSP (not sure why I was there) and Gamecube.

Please exscuse my ignorance, but can someone tell me what GGC and YMMV mean?

[quote name='billyrayearl']Wal Mart will sell at midnight, or at least that has been my experience with 360, PSP (not sure why I was there) and Gamecube.

Please exscuse my ignorance, but can someone tell me what GGC and YMMV mean?[/quote]

GGC=Gamer Gift Card, its a best buy gift card that gives you 5$ off your purchase

YMMV=Your Mileage May Vary meaning that just because STORE X has a price on GAMe X doesnt mean STORE X2 will have GAME X at the same price

[quote name='billyrayearl']Wal Mart will sell at midnight, or at least that has been my experience with 360, PSP (not sure why I was there) and Gamecube.

Please exscuse my ignorance, but can someone tell me what GGC and YMMV mean?[/quote]

With regards to the Wal-Marts in your area, how has their launch day stock been?

Also, what did you do - go wait in the store 'til Midnight for the launch? Was there a line?

I'm just trying to evaluate my options for which store I'll do my launch-day waiting at - and since I live like a mile away from a Wal-Mart, I figure they might be a good bet...assuming each Wal-Mart gets a decent supply of consoles and games.

[quote name='XMastaCrackaX']hmmm that amazon thing looks funny though when u click the link its the Amazon 404 not found not even a sold out banner.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - Updated OP. :)

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']With regards to the Wal-Marts in your area, how has their launch day stock been?

Also, what did you do - go wait in the store 'til Midnight for the launch? Was there a line?

I'm just trying to evaluate my options for which store I'll do my launch-day waiting at - and since I live like a mile away from a Wal-Mart, I figure they might be a good bet...assuming each Wal-Mart gets a decent supply of consoles and games.[/quote]
I stood in a 10Hr+ line for the 360 then got a ticket and went home to return the next morning to pick it up.
They had about 35 Premiums and 20 cores or something like that. I was #5 so i got of course a premium. I guess it depends on your area.
But Waiting in a line isnt bad if you have great people along side that you get to know.

[quote name='XMastaCrackaX']Anyone check out Gamestop/Ebgames yet. Mine open in 30 min which i will be calling just to check.[/quote]
Tell me how that goes, Mine opens same time as yours and is just down the block...

[quote name='fuzz']Tell me how that goes, Mine opens same time as yours and is just down the block...[/quote]
They say no preorders yet they have to Be 100% sure how many they will have in stock. fuckTHEM

[quote name='XMastaCrackaX']They say no preorders yet they have to Be 100% sure how many they will have in stock. fuckTHEM[/quote]
Watch Gamestop end's up doing pre-orders on monday of something and end up screwing people over (meaning me) as always

I would assume that Best Buy would have a midnight sale as well. I'm just wondering if I can pre-order it online and pay for it there to avoid paying tax.

You still have to pay tax on Best Buy online orders, assuming they have a presence in your state. Or am I misunderstanding you?

[quote name='XMastaCrackaX']I stood in a 10Hr+ line for the 360 then got a ticket and went home to return the next morning to pick it up.
They had about 35 Premiums and 20 cores or something like that. I was #5 so i got of course a premium. I guess it depends on your area.
But Waiting in a line isnt bad if you have great people along side that you get to know.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I don't mind the wait - I'll wait as long as I need to, but I'm just new to the launch day thing so I'm going into it without knowing which place will be most ideal.

Another quick question for ya: in your Wal-Mart experiences, where WAS the line? Like right in the middle of the electronics department? Where did the first person in line stand?

I guess this is stuff they'd tell me on that Saturday when I show up to wait but I figure if you've already done it, maybe my experience with Wal-Mart in my area would be similar. :)

[quote name='icruise']You still have to pay tax on Best Buy online orders, assuming they have a presence in your state. Or am I misunderstanding you?[/QUOTE]

No, you had it right, just hadn't thought about that. Well, I'll end up paying taxes on it as I'll want to play with it that weekend.

[quote name='Tybee']*Reflects back on the DS Lite "IT'S OUT THREE WEEKS EARLY!!!" chaos*[/QUOTE]

That was so awesome! I drove 50 miles to get in on that. I just wish I had $250 to pony up for the wii right now. I'm saving, though. Maybe I'll get rid of a few Criterions :whistle2:#. J/K

[quote name='munch']That was so awesome! I drove 50 miles to get in on that. I just wish I had $250 to pony up for the wii right now. I'm saving, though. Maybe I'll get rid of a few Criterions :whistle2:#. J/K[/QUOTE]

If it happens with the Wii or the PS3, there will be killings. You know there will be.

Never, EVER sell your Criterions...unless maybe the non-anamorphic Brazil or something like that, but then only to replace it with the anamorphic version. ;)

[quote name='Tybee']If it happens with the Wii or the PS3, there will be killings. You know there will be.

Never, EVER sell your Criterions...unless maybe the non-anamorphic Brazil or something like that, but then only to replace it with the anamorphic version. ;)[/QUOTE]

Trust me, my Criterions aren't going anywhere! (except maybe Au Hasard Balthasar. I'm trying to figure that one out). I just got the 400 Blows, Ugetsu, and The Rock hey, it was cheap ($10)!

You know, I've never seen Brazil but am afraid to drop all of that money on the box set. I've thought about just getting single disc, but that seems like a waste. Then again, I could rent it, but that would be the smart thing to do, and I NEVER do that.

[quote name='munch']You know, I've never seen Brazil but am afraid to drop all of that money on the box set. I've thought about just getting single disc, but that seems like a waste. Then again, I could rent it, but that would be the smart thing to do, and I NEVER do that.[/QUOTE]

I got the original Brazil box set from Reel.com for $17 when it first came out in 1998 or 1999. Damn I miss those kinds of deals.

But trust me, you should definitely get it.

THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION APPLIES ONLY TO HAWAII GAMESTOP AND SOFTWARE ETC. STORES

I just got off the phone with the store that I got the flyer from, and he told me that this pre-order stuff only applies to Hawaii - for now.

Please note that this doesn't mean its not going to happen in your area. This seems to be a test run of a new pre-order system in order to find out whether or not to deploy it nationwide when the rest of the US stores start the pre-order process.

-------------------------------

Today I went out set on selling a bunch of games at GameStop for that $10 bonus. Am I glad I didn't do any of that.

I hold in my hand a flyer that contains the information regarding GameStop's Wii (and PS3) pre-order process. I have to say that I am not pleased by this process, but am still glad I finally know when and how to pre-order my Wii at GameStop.

Here are a few shots of the flyer itself, and extended details are available below it.

247489784_1ff4c3a77f_o.jpg

Poster/flyer - minimal lighting, no flash.

247489825_fd7d1e88e5_o.jpg

The GameStop printed out a list of upcoming games and information for me.

GAMESTOP HAWAII PRE-ORDER DETAILS
The following information is based on the flyer that I recieved from the GameStop that I visited, and also based on the conversation that I had with the GameStop employee.

GameStop will start accepting pre-orders for the PS3/Wii on MONDAY SEPTEMBER 18. This will last for ONE WEEK only, and this currently only applies to stores located in Hawaii. Any store can and will stop taking pre-orders at any time (most likely when their pre-order allotment has been reached). I have been advised (and I advise you) to go to the store on Monday and get your pre-order in, or do so as soon as possible.

GameStop is NOT ACCEPTING cash, or store credit for your down payment on a pre-order. You HAVE to trade in games or accessories when you pre-order. It must total at least $50, and it will all go towards your system pre-order. After the $50, you can put down cash or whatever to cover the rest of the payment (or simply leave it at $50 and pay the rest later). This applies for both the Wii and the PS3.

Any promotions on game trade-ins active during your pre-order transaction can be used toward this pre-order stuff. That means that you can take advantage of the "Trade 3 Get an Extra $10" offer currently being held at GameStop. Details and restrictions about this promotional offer (and other promotional offers) are available on the page linked. Additional details on this offer can be found on the topic here on CAG.

You are GUARANTEED to get a Wii, but the date you get it IS NOT GUARANTEED (he specifically told me that you are not guaranteed to get your system on launch or anytime during the Christmas season). That means if you pre-order, you'll get a Wii/PS3, if not at launch or Christmas, then eventually.

Stores are going to give out launch systems based on chronological pre-order order. That means if you are the first one to pre-order/reserve your Wii, you will be the first one to get a Wii on launch day.

Reservations are limited to 1 per household.

If you want to know what exactly the text says at the bottom of the flyer, here it is: "Cash or Store Credit will not be accepted. Reservations of the PlayStation 3 or Nintendo Wii are limited to one (1) reservation/purchase per household."

And the text near the GameStop logo at the bottom: "All trades must be in working condition and are subject to manager approval. As GameStop cannot control production and shipping issues by the manufacturer, the reservation deposit will only gurantee a spot in line when the PlayStation 3 or Nintendo Wii becomes available. The reservation deposit does not guarantee reciept of a system available to purchase by Christmas."

QUICK QUESTIONS
I asked the employee I was talking to a few questions. He seemed to know what he was talking about, as he elaborated quite a bit and we talked for a good 15 minutes on the topic.

Q: Why is the pre-order process being done this way?
A: GameStop is trying to be more cautious and is trying to plan out the pre-order process better. This is an attempt at a different way of handling pre-orders. They say that they take in a large amount of pre-order money and when products launch, many people don't actually pick up their pre-order. That means GameStop has to continually keep track of these unclaimed pre-orders, and that incurs costs. Its a way to keep down costs, and at the same time, its a way for you to actually keep your money in case you do not pick up your system (because your pre-order money is converted basically into store credit).

Q: Will you have lots of Wii accessories (controllers, etc.) on hand for launch.
A: Yes.

Q: Will you open at midnight?
A: It depends. Some stores may, and others might not. My particular store is trying to open at midnight, but its slightly more difficult since its located in a closed mall.

-------

So that's the information I've been given. This is no way is meant to be an official announcement, or to seem official in any way. I've simply been given some information, and I feel this is of enough importance to alert CAG and the consumer.

A side note: I did not specifically ask for information about the PS3 (although the employee attempted to get me to move to that topic, haha). With that being said, both the Wii and PS3 are part of the same pre-order process, and because they are being jointly advertised on the given flyer, I assume that pre-order details are fairly similar.

Really, the best way to find out the whole story would be to call your local GameStop. Though to be honest, I've called numerous stores, numerous times since Nintendo announced the launch details, and they continously told me that they had no information. It was only today (being Friday September 15) on my visit to the store did I see all the posters and information available. I assume that means that some stores haven't got the information, or haven't shared any of it and are preparing to.

I hope this helps lots of you. I post this not to get everyone angry at GameStop, but to simply inform you of what's going on with their pre-order process. Knowing is half the battle. Evidently the other half involves finding $50 worth of stuff to trade in. XD

I'll be up bright and early on Monday pre-ordering a Wii. I wish everyone else good luck, and I again encourage everyone to call their local store for all the info.

My personal reaction on this tactic: I hope that this does not become a trend (this being the trade-in to pre-order system). It was a complete surprise to me, and definitely made me mad. I even told the employee that a lot of people probably won't be happy, and that I was one of them.

This also kind of hinders Nintendo's mission to expand gaming to people who do not play games. I know we aren't going to see many Grandmas and Grandpas in launch lines, but because of this pre-order system, we won't see any of them. Chances are they don't have games to trade in, probably not enough to reach the $50 prerequisite. GameStop is basically saying, "n00bs go away". No Wii, at least not at a launch and not at GameStop.

Also, while there are some obviously big downsides to this method, there are also some positive things. One of them being the fact that this will prevent lots of people from pre-ordering from GameStop, which leaves lots of systems for you and me.

Oh, the employee also printed me out a list of Wii games. They have the names, anticipated shipping dates, and the prices for these games. If people want that, I can take a picture or type out the information too.

I will keep this post as up to date as possible with any new information, pictures, whatever. Though I assume that soon enough people will start to get their own flyers, pictures, and information.

And just for the record, this is the first and original post about the information. You heard it first here at CAG. XD

-------

CONFIRMATION

GameSpot - http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=24993601
GoNintendo - http://gonintendo.com/?p=5689
GAF - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119592&page=7
Me - I called the GameStop that I got the flyer from on Saturday morning and they told me that this was specific to Hawaii only.

Of course here on CAG as well, spread throughout this thread. Other members have called the Hawaii stores or have confirmed it with other employees, others have now pre-ordered it as well, and FINALLY someone else in Hawaii has a camera and took a picture of the thank you card.

-------

A FINAL NOTE: I will repeat that I never said this was official, or meant this to be an official nationwide announcement. As the beginning of this post has always started (or rather, used to state), I'm not aware if this is a nationwide trend or not (and we have learned that it currently IS NOT). I do live in Hawaii, and therefore this could only be in my region. This is basically a small scale test of this new pre-ordering method. That means that if this test succeeds in Hawaii, it could possibly take effect nationwide. Suffice to say, I still think this is important information, and everyone should know about it.

Pray that you won't have to do your pre-order this way, because it really sucks. As for me, I'll bite the bullet and see what happens.

-------

I now have successfully pre-ordered a Wii at GameStop.

As a side note, the Internet ate my bandwidth, hence why some of the pictures are now broken. I re-uploaded some of them to Flickr.

[quote name='Chacrana']You can't use cash? And you aren't guaranteed a system? fuck that shit.[/quote]

You are guaranteed a system, but the date that you actually get it is not guaranteed to be on launch or the Christmas holidays. :(

[quote name='hack']You are guaranteed a system, but the date that you actually get it is not guaranteed to be on launch or the Christmas holidays. :([/QUOTE]

Which is no better than hoping for the best at Best Buy. Except Gamestop wants you to trade in half of your collection to preorder the fucking thing.

Maybe I'll preorder at Gamecrazy. Anyone know how reliable they are with stuff like this?

What we need is a list of the best combination of cheap games along with the trade in 3 get an extra 10 promotion to exactly make $50.

Wow. Definitely not preordering from EB/GS now. That's freaking stupid.

I'm looking at a local shop, but I don't know how many (if any) Wiis they are going to get or when. Guess I'll ask them tomorrow when I preorder Zelda.

[quote name='cag1000']What we need is a list of the best combination of cheap games along with the trade in 3 get an extra 10 promotion to exactly make $50.[/QUOTE]

def agree

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back