Wii Pre-Order Thread - Facts, Rumors and Everything In Between

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecofreak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Some people have been asking about preordering the Wii. Right now there are two confirmed locations about where one can jump on the boat early.

B0009VXBAQ.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V41617776_.jpg

1. Gamestop
For Previous Information on Pre-Order Deal for HAWAII ONLY - Refer to this post: this post
Conditions: Unknown
Start of Preorder: Unknown
Link: http://www.gamestop.com/gs/wii/wii_signup.asp?

2. Amazon (Thanks to bmarquardt for the Heads Up)
Conditions: Unknown
Start of Preorder: September 15th
Link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009VXBAQ/

3. FYE
Conditions: Put down $50
Start of Preorder: Sometime during late spring 2006
Store Locations: http://shop.fye.com/StoreLocator.aspx

4. Lik-Sang.com
Conditions: No Money Down
1. Your pre-order is not binding and you can cancel at any time.
2. Once release details are known, you will receive an email that you need to confirm.
3. Should you decide to confirm, you will keep your position in the pre-order list.
4. Unit price and features are not confirmed and can change at any time.
5. Release date is not confirmed and might change.
6. The product is listed with a dummy price - your credit card is NOT charged.
7. All special pre-orders are limited to a maximum of 1 unit.
8. Depending on release schedule, you will be offered choice between European, US or Japanese.
9. Choices and changes are also allowed if several editions/colors are made available.
10. Once games and accessories are confirmed, you will be able to add them to your order.
Start of Preorder: I forgot ^^;
Link: http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=351&products_id=6998&

I will update the post as more pre-orders (hopefully) start up. Good hunting!

[quote name='fuzz']Do DVD count for trade in toward a Wii...?[/quote]

The employee I talked to specifically said games and accessories. But that doesn't mean no DVDs, he just didn't mention them.

Also, DVDs don't count for the 3 trade-ins and $10 extra promotion. That promotion applies ONLY to games. More details are in the official thread here on CAG.

Thanks for the info hack, but maybe you should have started your own thread about the EB/GS pre-order policy. Hopefully a moderator or the OP can fix the title and the first post. Anyway, I just have to plan everything carefully now.

I thought forcing bundles was bad but what Gamestop is doing is worse than that. I almost wish Nintendo and Sony wouldn't ship them any systems because of that ridiculous policy.

I don't even care if by flipping games and using the trade in 3 and get $10 bonus you can come out even or even slightly ahead in terms of money spent to buy games specifically to trade in. It's the principle itself that bothers me.

Yeah, that's bullshit. I'm gonna have to see if my guy at EB can hook me up with a workaround for that if he's working on Monday. I'll be over there tomorrow and see if they have any details. I have 700 fucking dollars of EB credit, why the hell do I have to trade in $50 more to get a preorder?

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I thought forcing bundles was bad but what Gamestop is doing is worse than that. I almost wish Nintendo and Sony wouldn't ship them any systems because of that ridiculous policy.

I don't even care if by flipping games and using the trade in 3 and get $10 bonus you can come out even or even slightly ahead in terms of money spent to buy games specifically to trade in. It's the principle itself that bothers me.[/quote]

Well, i will be getting my ps3 at GS. But its only because of their trade in 3 get $10 deal combined with kmart's $2 clearance. Money spent to credit is about 3 to 1, so my ps3 will cost about $200 which is good enough to jump thru their hoops.

*My 163.13 of GS credit is now available for $150*

Hey, you can still use your credit.

Its just that in order to pre-order your Wii/PS3, your first $50 has to come from trade-ins. So credit is only useless until you've reach that $50 quota.

[quote name='soxfan30']I'd rather just wait overnight in line and wait for the stores to open like best buy and just buy it then[/QUOTE]

QFT. Besides, it's kinda fun.

wow... friggin gay (or straight, whatever you pref.). GS/EB are kinda asses for not even letting you trade in and then putting credit. I can see how this is good for them, but will fuck over people who don't trade in stuff ever. Time to load up on crap somehow... maybe I'll just buy crap from their store and then trade it in.

This is absolutely absurd.

I was just talking to my local EB pal tonight as I traded in exactly $55.00 worth of games and he told me he didn't know what was going on.

I might come out better with my FYE pre-order, but for some reason I just don't feel good about FYE. SHEESH!

JOSH

fuck EB Games and GameStop. I have $150 right now in my wallet, and I can't use that to guarantee myself a Wii (and at launch, too)? Bullshit.

[quote name='gjb-sensei']fuck EB Games and GameStop. I have $150 right now in my wallet, and I can't use that to guarantee myself a Wii (and at launch, too)? Bullshit.[/QUOTE]

I have to say, I'm as unhappy as you. GS/EB are covering their asses, which is fine, but in this case it's a bit greedy. Trade-ins net them larger cash than pre-orders. If stores had nutts, I'd kick them every second I had a chance.

[quote name='Ecofreak']Updated OP w/ info from Hack. Thanks for the heads up!!![/quote]

No problem. I just wanted everyone to know this, as this is both important and really stupid on GameStop's part.

Hahaha... its all over the interweb now. GAF, GoNintendo, Nsider...

Oh how wonderful. XD

I better remove or do something with the picture on my server or else I'm going to die from bandwidth overload.

Stupid question but does that mean if I want to preorder both the Wii and the PS3 I need $100 in games, or just $50?

They are both seperate systems, so unfortunately you'd need $100 to pre-order both.

This is too much of a hassle. I'm not pre-ordering. Maybe I won't be able to get a Wii before Christmas, even though Nintendo is shipping a ton of them to the US. But that's okay. Except for Zelda, there's nothing I'm desperate to play, and I can always get the GCN version. I'm willing to wait a while. Maybe I'll even be able to get it in black, or even for $200 without Wii Sports.

[quote name='hack']No problem. I just wanted everyone to know this, as this is both important and really stupid on GameStop's part.

Hahaha... its all over the interweb now. GAF, GoNintendo, Nsider...

Oh how wonderful. XD

I better remove or do something with the picture on my server or else I'm going to die from bandwidth overload.[/QUOTE]

oh well... the only positive thing I see happening for gamers with this deal is that it will prevent Fatwallet and Ebay whoremongers from exploiting things.

I'll probably do the all day waiting thing at some local store or something. Never done one, but this may make me do so... actually it sounds fun.

Of course.... the week of my confrence in Orlando, on the other side of the damn country, they start pre-ordering Wii.

There seems to be a lot of backlash from this.

The worst thing now is if GameStop/EB were to suddently decide not to do pre-orders this way, thus making me look like an idiot. Wow. People are already questioning the image.

T_T

Well, whatever. I'll still get my pre-order on Monday.

I love how people are saying they are going to pass up both systems until after christmas when we all know, they will be the first in the tent outside of gamestop monday

[quote name='hack']There seems to be a lot of backlash from this.

The worst thing now is if GameStop/EB were to suddently decide not to do pre-orders this way, thus making me look like an idiot. Wow. People are already questioning the image.

T_T

Well, whatever. I'll still get my pre-order on Monday.[/QUOTE]

if anything, all blame goes to EB/GS, so have no fear of your name being squashed or whatever. GS/EB will deal with the BS, just don't ge yourself too involved if you get accused of false things.

Ok.

I guess then I should be glad that I haven't done the 3 for 10 thing yet. I did the hell out of it the first time around in the summer and got 124 in credit.

So I guess what I'm supposed to do now is go in, throw in some crap games, manage to get 50. Then I pre-order the Wii. Then I use my 124 towards payment. At that point I'm sitting at 175. So I pay the rest out in cash. If I'm one of the first people to do this starting on the 18th, then I'm set as #1 on the list, meaning that I will damn well get one on launch.

Someone tell me now if my logic is wrong, please. There's no damn way I'll be in a position to wait around all night, as I doubt there would be any people with me.

However, if I do the midnight thing, then I can just put that credit straight on without the $50 shit, yea?

Again, I want to make sure I've got this all correct, because when I march into Wii and start cockslapping everyone whilst screaming WANGMOTE FTW over and over, I damn well want to be sure I'm complying with all the rules.

My Gamestop didn't know anything about his at all. I'll have to check with them tomorrow. They're probably being stingy with the info. My Gamestop is weird like that.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Well, i will be getting my ps3 at GS. But its only because of their trade in 3 get $10 deal combined with kmart's $2 clearance. Money spent to credit is about 3 to 1, so my ps3 will cost about $200 which is good enough to jump thru their hoops.[/quote]

Is that possible? Like, what are the details on the 3-for-$10? You just trade in any 3 games in good condition for $10 store credit that doesn't have to be used immediately? Is there a limit on games-per-day on which you can do this or how many times you can do it towards one pre-order?

If it's as simple as that, yeah, I'm duplicating your strategy there...but I have a feeling it might not be. Can anyone elaborate?

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']Is that possible? Like, what are the details on the 3-for-$10? You just trade in any 3 games in good condition for $10 store credit that doesn't have to be used immediately? Is there a limit on games-per-day on which you can do this or how many times you can do it towards one pre-order?

If it's as simple as that, yeah, I'm duplicating your strategy there...but I have a feeling it might not be. Can anyone elaborate?[/QUOTE]

I say the best thing to do is buy 15 shit games, leave store, come back, trade them in, get your pre-order. That's what I will try to do. In fact, if the guys at EB are nice enough, I may not even leave the store and explain the whole scenario to them. Usually I find EB/GS employees much more understanding and open if you explain your plan on getting a good deal. I've always turned out the winner doing this (many times).

[quote name='Strell']Ok.

I guess then I should be glad that I haven't done the 3 for 10 thing yet. I did the hell out of it the first time around in the summer and got 124 in credit.

So I guess what I'm supposed to do now is go in, throw in some crap games, manage to get 50. Then I pre-order the Wii. Then I use my 124 towards payment. At that point I'm sitting at 175. So I pay the rest out in cash. If I'm one of the first people to do this starting on the 18th, then I'm set as #1 on the list, meaning that I will damn well get one on launch.[/quote]

Yes, that sounds correct.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I say the best thing to do is buy 15 shit games, leave store, come back, trade them in, get your pre-order. That's what I will try to do. In fact, if the guys at EB are nice enough, I may not even leave the store and explain the whole scenario to them. Usually I find EB/GS employees much more understanding and open if you explain your plan on getting a good deal. I've always turned out the winner doing this (many times).[/quote]

Nice idea. Got a question for those of you more experienced at this, thoug:

Promo: "Extra $10 trade-in credit with the trade-in of 3 PS2, XBOX, GC, DS or PSP games"
Customers trading in 3 PS2, XBOX, GC, DS or PSP games receive an extra $10 trade credit. Customers can mix formats. For example, 2 PS2 games and 1 XBOX game can receive the total extra $10. 2006 and earlier sports, all wrestling and all demo discs are still excluded from this offer. THIS IS STACKABLE WITH THE EDGE/GAMESTOP CARD.

Stackable with the Edge/GameStop card...what does that mean pertaining to this?

I rarely buy games at EB/GameStop which is why I'm unsure of this stuff.

Also, is there no limit to the amount of games you can toss at them in one visit?

damn, that really puts the pressure on. Guess I'll pre-order the PS3 for the free Wii. repeat after me. PS3 for free wii for you and for me.

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']

[/B]Stackable with the Edge/GameStop card...what does that mean pertaining to this?

I rarely buy games at EB/GameStop which is why I'm unsure of this stuff.

Also, is there no limit to the amount of games you can toss at them in one visit?[/QUOTE]

using the edge card usually nets you at least about $2 to $3 more of credit, so assume with the card you're getting $12 or $13 of extra credit.

[quote name='edallasplanet']I love how people are saying they are going to pass up both systems until after christmas when we all know, they will be the first in the tent outside of gamestop monday[/QUOTE]
If I'm in a tent monday morning, it will be in the mountains 100 miles from any Gamestop.

now i have to decide if I want to get mixed up in this console launch madness. I would love to be the prick this time and sell a PS3 on eBay since I got screwed last time with the 360... but then I have to ask myself if it's worth the gamble/hassle. I guess if it didn't pan out I could return it to the store...

Is till think a large number of gamers with money to actually be able to buy this on launch won't have a Wii, and kids without money will come home with a system (paid for by their loving/rich bastards of parents. Such a vciouse cycle... Well, it's time for me to start stripping for games at the local swank club >_

They talked about doing the trade in only thing, didn't think they would really do it. Anyway I'll be at work first thing Monday morning, I'll be the first person to order because I can be in the store before we open.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']using the edge card usually nets you at least about $2 to $3 more of credit, so assume with the card you're getting $12 or $13 of extra credit.[/quote]
Oh cool. So you just buy a card right there at the store? Didn't see anything about it on the site.

And also, I'm thinking of some games I might have lying around to try for this deal, but I'd hate to walk in there with a bunch of games only to be told there's some minimum...that probably isn't a problem here, I figure? Or would it make more sense to spread it out over time until the 3-for-$10 promotion ends?

Sorry for so many questions, I'll be well educated after tonight, LOL.

I've thought about it, and I agree this is a profoundedly retarded way of doing things. (I dunno if this has been discussed yet or not.)

If GS gets 50 bucks straight up, they make just that. But if they get (let's say) 10 games they give 5 bucks for and turn around and sell them for 10, then that's 50 bucks in their pockets.

So this is their way of deepening their own pockets doubletime.

And that's doublepluslong fucked up.

I've been updating my aunt on the Wii preorder situation like mad because she wants to get one for her son, and now I have to break this kind of shit to her? She's going to be upset when she finds out she has no way of getting a pre-order in now.

I guess I could be a very noble sort of guy and hand her fifty bucks worth of trade-in stuff, but being a CAG, that's gonna hurt...

Maybe I'll offer to campout for her instead. Then I could get one for her, go pick mine up at GS, and be a hero.

I bet the real reason EB/Gamestop are doing this trade in only to pre order is to prevent people from buying it to sell on ebay. In this case it just causes more hassle for the people who want to EBay the systems because they have to sacrafice their games/other systems to pre order (and in reality lose money instead of making money)

[quote name='tenzor']I bet the real reason EB/Gamestop are doing this trade in only to pre order is to prevent people from buying it to sell on ebay. In this case it just causes more hassle for the people who want to EBay the systems because they have to sacrafice their games/other systems to pre order (and in reality lose money instead of making money)[/QUOTE]

Master of the Obvious.

j/k :p

Looks like I will be stopping into GS tomorrow and cancelling all my outstanding game pre-orders (quite a few) in "support of this". This is a poor way to do business. I'll take my game buying habits elsewhere.

1st of all, why why are people getting mad at Gamestop and EB? You guys have to take 10seconds to think about this. Gamestop and EB are not production companies, they do not make PS3's or Wii's, as you should know, that would be the job of Sony and Nintendo. Therefore Gamestop and EB are just RETAIL stores. They do not get to go "Alright, Sony, lemme have, I dunno like, 40 PS3's! Alright? Thanks dude!"...

That's not how it works, they are told an amount of PS3's they will be given by SONY. And considering that Sony is only releasing 400,000 PS3's at launch in the U.S., that dosn't leave a lot of room for Gamestop and EB when Walmart, KMart, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. are receving some as well.

And #2... My store is receving around the number of 10 PS3's if we are lucky. Now, coperate knows that Sony's launch systems well, are not all that sturdy, hell, no launch system is very sturdy, so we are forced to hold up to 3 consoles for switches when someone brings in a defective system.

So 10 total systems - 3 = 7 to sell.

Employees also have first dibs on systems, so lets say 2 employess decided to fork over the 500 or 600 bucks for a PS3.

So 7 Systems - 2 = 5 systems to sell to the public...

You guys better start waiting in line soon...

[quote name='botticus']Yeah, that's bullshit. I'm gonna have to see if my guy at EB can hook me up with a workaround for that if he's working on Monday. I'll be over there tomorrow and see if they have any details. I have 700 fucking dollars of EB credit, why the hell do I have to trade in $50 more to get a preorder?[/QUOTE]

No kidding, me too.

GDAMN THEM! And of course, next week is the first fucking work trip I've had in 4 months! I will be out of town from Sunday through Friday. So even though I HAVE some games to trade in (though probably not $50 worth - but I could get some from GR if I had to), I can't do it. Maybe the manager at my favorite EB will cut me some slack - I'll have to call him tomorrow. Damn, I don't have the time to drive over there but if he lets me give him $50 in credit before I leave I guess I will have to. Does anyone know if you can just transfer $50 from an Edge card to your store account at EB? Is there even an account in store that can keep credit? I've never left any there so I guess I don't even know if they can do that!

[quote name='Nealocus123']1st of all, why why are people getting mad at Gamestop and EB?[/QUOTE]

I have given quite a bit of money to GS/EB over the last 15+ years, not to mention bought my last five system from them. Being a extremely loyal customer, if my cash is not good enough for them f'em.

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']With regards to the Wal-Marts in your area, how has their launch day stock been?

Also, what did you do - go wait in the store 'til Midnight for the launch? Was there a line?

I'm just trying to evaluate my options for which store I'll do my launch-day waiting at - and since I live like a mile away from a Wal-Mart, I figure they might be a good bet...assuming each Wal-Mart gets a decent supply of consoles and games.[/quote]

The Wal-Mart I contacted during the 360 launch fot 16 systems, 8 of SKU. I didn't actually go there, but spoke to people who had the next day. I know it sounds kind of stupid, but I prefer to do my camping at a store that is closed, waiting outside for it to open in the morning. For 360 I chose Target ( they had 24 of each SKU). Sure it will be freezing in late November, but I dress warm as hell, bring blankets, and keep a little bit of the old booze handy. It's better than sitting in Wal-Mart for 12 hours or more.

I guess it depends on how early you want the system. All Wal-Marts will likely be selling at midnight, whereas you will have to wait until 9 or ten in the morning if you're staking out Best buy, Target, or the like. The downside of Wal-Mart, however, is your weird-ass waiting conditions. I called at 12:00 p.m. on 360 launch day, and there were already 12 or so people there. So imagine sitting in the layaway department inside Wal Mart, while thy're open, with customers going every which way all day, for over twelve hours. I suspect it would suck.

Camp outside. Make friends. Act stupid. Hell, the guys across the expressway at Best Buy had one of those portable firepits on 360 night. It can be a pretty good time if you let it, and it's all in the name of a shiny new console.

I am so sorry I just rambled on like that.

If I wish to get in on this, and I live in an area that is moderately interested in videogames (Charlottesville, VA)when do you think i should show up?

[quote name='videodrone']I have given quite a bit of money to GS/EB over the last 15+ years, not to mention bought my last five system from them. Being a extremely loyal customer, if my cash is not good enough for them f'em.[/quote]

You are taking it like Gamestop is doing this personally to you, so they can fuck you over. All there doing is to try and limit the number of pre-orders so they don't get screwed like they did with the 360. And if you wanna spend your cash so bad at Gamestop...just buy 15 1.99 games or 2.99 games, payout like $40, turn around and trade them all back for $50 + whatever the game trade values are + 10%...

Boom. You save money, and get a pre-order...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back