Wii Pre-Order Thread - Facts, Rumors and Everything In Between

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecofreak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Some people have been asking about preordering the Wii. Right now there are two confirmed locations about where one can jump on the boat early.

B0009VXBAQ.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V41617776_.jpg

1. Gamestop
For Previous Information on Pre-Order Deal for HAWAII ONLY - Refer to this post: this post
Conditions: Unknown
Start of Preorder: Unknown
Link: http://www.gamestop.com/gs/wii/wii_signup.asp?

2. Amazon (Thanks to bmarquardt for the Heads Up)
Conditions: Unknown
Start of Preorder: September 15th
Link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009VXBAQ/

3. FYE
Conditions: Put down $50
Start of Preorder: Sometime during late spring 2006
Store Locations: http://shop.fye.com/StoreLocator.aspx

4. Lik-Sang.com
Conditions: No Money Down
1. Your pre-order is not binding and you can cancel at any time.
2. Once release details are known, you will receive an email that you need to confirm.
3. Should you decide to confirm, you will keep your position in the pre-order list.
4. Unit price and features are not confirmed and can change at any time.
5. Release date is not confirmed and might change.
6. The product is listed with a dummy price - your credit card is NOT charged.
7. All special pre-orders are limited to a maximum of 1 unit.
8. Depending on release schedule, you will be offered choice between European, US or Japanese.
9. Choices and changes are also allowed if several editions/colors are made available.
10. Once games and accessories are confirmed, you will be able to add them to your order.
Start of Preorder: I forgot ^^;
Link: http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=351&products_id=6998&

I will update the post as more pre-orders (hopefully) start up. Good hunting!

[quote name='botticus']What is the usual return policy for video game hardware at box stores? Similar to other electronics (30 days or whatever the usual return limit is, opened or unopened)? [/QUOTE]I'm not sure specifics, but I know EBGS scans the products individual UPC (am I calling it the right name?) so if you buy a GameBox 500, it has it's own personal ID number. If you try to bring back a Gamebox 500 from another location, it won't be taken back.

Do other stores do that as well?

[quote name='guinaevere']I'm not sure specifics, but I know EBGS scans the products individual UPC (am I calling it the right name?) so if you buy a GameBox 500, it has it's own personal ID number. If you try to bring back a Gamebox 500 from another location, it won't be taken back.

Do other stores do that as well?[/quote]
I wasn't really planning that, more like buy one from Best Buy or Walmart on launch day if I can't get it from EB, and as long as it can be returned opened, take it back within 30 days if I end up being able to get one from EB.

The problem I have with the GS/EB using the trade $50 worth of stuff to get your pre-order is that for the last two trade in 3 get an $10 deal, I've traded in about 15-18 games and have pre-ordered several Wii games already. Even a friend of mine has like 5 Wii games completly paid off at GameStop and I don't think he has any more games to trade in at the moment.

So if they use this promotion nationwide, I'll be cancelling my pre-orders (if you have the receipt for pre-oreders they will give you cash) and camping at Wal-Mart or pre-ordering over ant FYE or GameCrazy. I may even write a complaint to GameStop as well, considering I used $150+ in store credit to preorder 3 games for the Wii already and then to get stabbed in the back to trade in more stuff just so I can get a Wii.

Sorry, but I'll take my business elsewhere.

[quote name='Midnite']
Sorry, but I'll take my business elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure EB games and Gamestop are crying over that -_-

i feel sorry for all you hawaii guys, i can honestly say if they start doing this in the mainland, i will be cancelling all my pre orders ( i have very many) and will never shop there again and will try my luck at wal mart, best buy and target

I put a Preorder on a Wii at my Toys R Us just incase I can't get one at Midnight at Walmart, but if I wait in line for 12 hours I better get one. I waited 12 hours and got a 360, so I guess I h ave a pretty good chance of getting a Wii at launch, because there will be more units.

[quote name='Tybee']
GameStop is the Bush administration of the video game industry.

"LIVE IN FEAR!!! BUY THINGS!!!"[/quote]

LMAO - quote of the year.

[quote name='Zoglog']I'm sure EB games and Gamestop are crying over that -_-[/QUOTE]

I know it won't hurt there sales. The only reason I shop at GameStop is to help out my friends store numbers since he's the manager.

[quote name='Birakon']i feel sorry for all you hawaii guys, i can honestly say if they start doing this in the mainland, i will be cancelling all my pre orders ( i have very many) and will never shop there again and will try my luck at wal mart, best buy and target[/quote]

It's no big deal. It was just a trial and anyone who had a problem with it didn't have to participate. Very few stores are doing pre-orders ATM because no one knows what their allocation is going to be yet. The ones that are doing pre-orders now are the ones I'm wary of because those guys could be looking at 360-type oversells if they don't manage it correctly.

For me personally, I wasn't planning to buy at launch, but I had an opportunity and the damage wasn't too bad, so I'm ok with it. I got rid of some games I rarely play anymore (and may never play again) and will get a Wii for less than retail thanks to the trade-in credit. If I went to Wal-mart, I couldn't do that--I'd have to shlub in a long ass line using time I don't have for a chance to buy a product I might not end up getting. Now I'm guaranteed to get one and I don't have to worry about all that hassle.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']two months just feels like a long time away[/QUOTE]
[quote name='hack']Ain't that the truth. T_T[/QUOTE]I'd be happy if it came out even further down the line, this way, the novelty will last all winter. I guess that isn't a big deal for you hack, living in Hawaii and all ;0. But for me, suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder, and living in Michigan, the later a new system comes out, the better.

[quote name='Jatsu']I'd be happy if it came out even further down the line, this way, the novelty will last all winter. I guess that isn't a big deal for you hack, living in Hawaii and all ;0. But for me, suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder, and living in Michigan, the later a new system comes out, the better.[/quote]

we hunt wabbits during the winter months

[quote name='gunm']Now I'm guaranteed to get one and I don't have to worry about all that hassle.[/QUOTE]

I thought they didn't guarantee anything.

i just preordered my Wii at FYE here in the bay area with a $50 deposit. suprisingly no one else put down any reserves for it at this particular store. i'm #1 on the list. the salesperson even asked if i wanted to reserve a ps3. i respectfully declined saying that i didn't want one.
for now the best bet to securing a wii would be FYE at your local mall

Hory carp! 27 pages! We're gonna need a new thread for guys like me just looking to pre order and another dedicated thread for bitching about the practices of retailers taking pre orders :)

G~

Went to the local Fye in Montebello, CA to preorder. They said there was 10 people ahead of me. I don't think Im going to get one at launch if I signed up. Does anyone know the average # of xbox360s fye stores had at launch?

For system launches, when do stores normally get them in? For games, the "release date" seems like less of a street date and more of a "shipping from HQ" date for B&M stores. A game that releases on Monday or Tuesday may not be in store until Thursday or Friday. Will stores likely have their stock in hand by Saturday the 18th for the Wii for either a midnight on the 19th sale or morning opening on the 19th sale? Or is 19th when the main EB games or Best Buy or whatever store you chose will send them out to their retail locations?

[quote name='daroga']For system launches, when do stores normally get them in? For games, the "release date" seems like less of a street date and more of a "shipping from HQ" date for B&M stores. A game that releases on Monday or Tuesday may not be in store until Thursday or Friday. Will stores likely have their stock in hand by Saturday the 18th for the Wii for either a midnight on the 19th sale or morning opening on the 19th sale? Or is 19th when the main EB games or Best Buy or whatever store you chose will send them out to their retail locations?[/quote]

The Wii is launching on the 19th. Stores will have them in beforehand but it will be street dated so they can't sell them without penalty from Nintendo. Its the same with games when they are street dated, they have them in the store before their release date. Games with no street date will show up usually the day after the listed release date (if looking through a Gamestop/EB Games release date list). Other retailers normally release games on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

[quote name='Midnite']The problem I have with the GS/EB using the trade $50 worth of stuff to get your pre-order is that for the last two trade in 3 get an $10 deal, I've traded in about 15-18 games and have pre-ordered several Wii games already. Even a friend of mine has like 5 Wii games completly paid off at GameStop and I don't think he has any more games to trade in at the moment.

So if they use this promotion nationwide, I'll be cancelling my pre-orders (if you have the receipt for pre-oreders they will give you cash) and camping at Wal-Mart or pre-ordering over ant FYE or GameCrazy. I may even write a complaint to GameStop as well, considering I used $150+ in store credit to preorder 3 games for the Wii already and then to get stabbed in the back to trade in more stuff just so I can get a Wii.

Sorry, but I'll take my business elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

If you preordered with credit they won't give you cash for it. I don't see what the problem is, it's not like they forced you to trade in your old games. You were getting the best deal you could get at the time. And why would you preorder games?

You took advantage of the trade in deal + more if they stacked bonuses so you shouldn't complain.

If EB decided to do this here, this week with the trade 3 get $10 deal going on, and I had a chance to be 1-3 on the list I would've jumped at it. I would have traded in my games, PS2, whatevers necessary. It's still better than waiting in line and paying with cash.

for the ds lite launch, stores had the systems a good week and a half in advance, and some sold early.

but i don't think anyone would sell early, but they will have them to sell on the 19th.

I'm sitting here waiting for this weeks ishdition of the HotSpot, I can't wait to see if hack made one of the top stories =).

[quote name='dmaul1114']Probably because he bought the console he wants to own and is nice enough not to whore a PS3 to sell on ebay screwing someone that actually wants to buy one to play.[/quote]

If you buy a ps3 for $5000 on ebay then you are an idiot... and as long as they are idiots out there, there will be people like me that will benefit! :applause:

Seriously though, If you spend $5000 on a console then you need to see a doctor (or you have too much $$ to waste, which is fine too)...:bouncy:

There's a post on IGN from someone who is a manager at Gamestop:

http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_wii_general_board/b8263/127427013/p1/?0

You need to be an Insider to view it, it says:

[quote name='Sublime at IGN']but I just went into my store to pick up my keys from my ASM and he told the email arrived... it's been confirmed. The Hawaii test is over, and the program WILL be instituted in the continental US as well.[/quote]

I can't confirm anything, but thought you guys would want to know about this. Might be real, might not, but I wouldn't be surprised. If it's true, I'm not doing this. :roll:

[quote name='nintendospy']There's a post on IGN from someone who is a manager at Gamestop:

I can't confirm anything, but thought you guys would want to know about this. Might be real, might not, but I wouldn't be surprised. If it's true, I'm not doing this. :roll:[/quote]
Super. I have some stuff to trade in this week or this weekend, so I'll be having a chat with my EB guys, to try to find out how easy it will be to get around this. i.e. Will it be too much trouble for them to just let me order with store credit, or will it be something that is easily backchecked.

[quote name='nintendospy']There's a post on IGN from someone who is a manager at Gamestop:

I can't confirm anything, but thought you guys would want to know about this. Might be real, might not, but I wouldn't be surprised. If it's true, I'm not doing this. :roll:[/quote]
Very interesting for the simple fact that I don't believe any of the Gamestops have LIVE email, meaning they only get emails once a day. I know several EB stores do since they have DSL in their stores so they can receive emails all day. I'll be damn pissed if they do this since I just traded over $100 worth of stuff the past 2 days. I'll personally write an email to them through our computers explaining my disgust in it.

Until then, I'm not going to believe that it is going to be put into effect in the US until I see confirmation in the email at work.

Chances are, if this is true, EB / GS will confirm and start it after September 24th once the Trade 3 deal is over so they can really drag people over the coals on their trades.

Ugh.. This is why I hate store employees.

The e-mail said they have obtained the information they needed and the test was ended after day 1. They will keep stores informed via the e-mail when they start taking preorders, but no where did they confirm that this would be the way they were going to do it.

Just be patient.. Sheesh..

[quote name='oasisboy']If you buy a ps3 for $5000 on ebay then you are an idiot... and as long as they are idiots out there, there will be people like me that will benefit! :applause:

Seriously though, If you spend $5000 on a console then you need to see a doctor (or you have too much $$ to waste, which is fine too)...:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

I don't care about the morons that pay $5000. I care about the person that wants one for $600 to play and enjoy themselves, but can't get them because their are morons that will pay thousands for them, and plenty of greedy people (many that are non-gamers on fat wallet etc.) that will buy up as many consoles as they can to sell to said morons.

This hassle is starting to overgo the ebay profits. I might just skip on this till good alternatives come about. Honestly if people are stupid enough to overpay for a console, more power to the people selling them at a markup.

I care about the person that wants one for $600 to play and enjoy themselves, but can't get them because their are morons that will pay thousands for them

Why the hell would you care for them? It's thier fault they didn't take the initiative to secure a means to get the product ahead of time. It's not like they're only making a handful of these consoles. If you want the console that badly you get off your lazy ass and you work to get it. I'm so sick of people whining.

As far as I see it, there are no incentives to buy a wii till smash bros comes out or the PS3 until MGS4 comes out. The launch titles for both systems are pretty iffy. If I manage to get a few of each console like I did with the 360 and the ds lite in japan I might be tempted to keep one of each though.

I did regret keeping one of my DS lites from japan though, those were 100 profit a piece since it wasnt released in USA yet.

[quote name='Roufuss']Chances are, if this is true, EB / GS will confirm and start it after September 24th once the Trade 3 deal is over so they can really drag people over the coals on their trades.[/QUOTE]

Now that would hurt/be insulting.

Wow... so now someone is claiming that this'll happen nationwide? Interesting. Hopefully it isn't true.

Most employees on the mainland have been saying that we'll really find out what's going to happen after GameStop's conference or whatever. I also find it hard to believe that the test has ended after a single day, unless of course it was such a massive success that no research was needed, not even a second thought. Corporate just saw the numbers and said "IT PRINTS MONEY!!"

I'm still hoping this won't become the trend.

I hope it does become a trend.

Then maybe no one will want to buy from GS/EB anymore and they'll learn their damn lesson.

[quote name='botticus']I wasn't really planning that, more like buy one from Best Buy or Walmart on launch day if I can't get it from EB, and as long as it can be returned opened, take it back within 30 days if I end up being able to get one from EB.[/QUOTE]
Well I'm not sure I'd understand why you'd buy another if you already bought and opened one, but I'm kinda slow sometimes.
blush.gif

Right, I have more info/a question for Hack. I stopped by one of my EBs this afternoon and was discussing the hawaii test. The store manager stated that in very fine print, it stated that one did not have to trade in $50 worth of games/accessories, that if you had wanted to put down $50 cash or credit, you could presell the system of your choice that way still.

So my question to Hack is, do you see anywhere on your advertisment fliers or that reserve ticket they gave you, such a statement?

It'd be nice if this were true, as it would mean EBGS won't be turning away huge numbers of customers. The reason I doubt it, is because it sounded as if the store manager read this information on some random gamer forum. And we know how reliable those are!
loopy_toungue.gif

EDIT: Looking back at post 91, and the original flyer, it clearly states: Cash or Store Credit will Not be Accepted. I think Charles has been smoking again. I'll give him a call in the morning to find out where he got his information.

[quote name='guinaevere']EDIT: Looking back at post 91, and the original flyer, it clearly states: Cash or Store Credit will Not be Accepted. I think Charles has been smoking again. I'll give him a call in the morning to find out where he got his information.[/quote]

Yeah, the GS employees were very clear that the pre-order was trades only.

Right first $50 had to be trade in only. The rest, seems you can use what you like, so cash/credit/trades to finish off the system.

Idiotic. Think I'll call my TRU today and see if they're taking preorders yet. Get in at ground level there and FYE. Maybe I could even come away with an extra Wii to hook up a CAG who couldn't get their hands on one.

[quote name='PezRadar']Ugh.. This is why I hate store employees.

The e-mail said they have obtained the information they needed and the test was ended after day 1. They will keep stores informed via the e-mail when they start taking preorders, but no where did they confirm that this would be the way they were going to do it.

Just be patient.. Sheesh..[/quote]

quoting myself.

EB/GS doesn't get the kind of system numbers that Best Buy does... it doesn't matter HOW they try to sell it, they are still going to sell out on launch, which is why they can get away with this. It's actually probably going to be BETTER for them if fewer people preorder, so they don't have 5 months of preorders to deal with and no walk-ins.

Curiously, what were the ship numbers for the Nintendo DS?

IMO, pre-orders for the Wii seem like a hassle. Plus, with Nintendo shipping 4 million of these things before Christmas, with the majority most likely happening on launch day, a pre-order may not be neccessary.

In addition, the midnight line at BB/Target/WM will be Nintendo fans, all toting DS Lites and a variety of games to share, so waiting may not be so bad.

Plus, its a nice middle finger to GS/EB : )

[quote name='ericbee99']Curiously, what were the ship numbers for the Nintendo DS?[/QUOTE]

This is what I'd like to know. I walked into Best Buy on the original DS's launch day (mid-morning, even) and, despite a sizeable crowd being there, I managed to walk out with a DS and Super Mario 64 with absolutely no trouble.

[quote name='Strell']I hope it does become a trend.

Then maybe no one will want to buy from GS/EB anymore and they'll learn their damn lesson.[/QUOTE]

Amen.

Those of you already lining up to bend over for GS, raise your hand so I can smack you.

[quote name='guinaevere']So my question to Hack is, do you see anywhere on your advertisment fliers or that reserve ticket they gave you, such a statement?[/quote]

Yeah, as others have said, no cash or credit accepted. Must be paid in trade-ins, and those trade-ins must be made at the same time of pre-order.

[quote name='guinaevere']The reason I doubt it, is because it sounded as if the store manager read this information on some random gamer forum. And we know how reliable those are!
loopy_toungue.gif
[/quote]

XD

[quote name='crazyj']I'm gonna preorder at this EBgames near the school, hopefully I have leftover money from tuition and rent.[/QUOTE]

Schools for fools anyways. Nothing you can learn from School that you can't from Nintendo.

[quote name='setzer06']This is what I'd like to know. I walked into Best Buy on the original DS's launch day (mid-morning, even) and, despite a sizeable crowd being there, I managed to walk out with a DS and Super Mario 64 with absolutely no trouble.[/quote]

The difference here is that overall demand for a home console, whether at launch or at any point in its life cycle, is generally going to be much greater than the demand for a handheld. Handhelds, with the possible exception of little kids, are owned mostly by the hardest of the hardcore gamers.

Just as an example, out of the 50 or so people I waited in line with all night for a 360, maybe 3 of them had a handheld system with them. I'm sure anyone who owned a DS/PSP woul have brought it with them when they were going to wait in line for 10-12 hours. The fact is, handhelds aren't as prevalent as consoles, so you will have an easier time finding one at launch.

My experience with the PSP launch illustrates the same point. I walked into Walmart at quarter till twelve to find a whole 3 people waiting. Does anyone think they'll have any chance of getting a PS3 that easily? The same comparison will likely hold true fro Nintendo's handheld and console.

Maybe.

[quote name='Zoglog']
Why the hell would you care for them? It's thier fault they didn't take the initiative to secure a means to get the product ahead of time. It's not like they're only making a handful of these consoles. If you want the console that badly you get off your lazy ass and you work to get it. I'm so sick of people whining.
[/QUOTE]

That's BS. Their were plenty of people that took steps to get 360s and couldn't. i.e. people that preordered and got fucked because GS/EB took more preorders than they could fill, and then couldn't find one in stores elsewhere for months at least partly because of the ebay whores and morons willing to pay $1000 and up.

Of course part of the problem also goes to the console makers. They shouldn't launch until they have enough to satisfy launch day demand.

If you want a console bad enough you can find one. Hell I ended up with 4 360s ON LAUNCH DAY!!! Using the internet and B&M stores. I also waited in line NO WHERE!! It's not that difficult. You just have to have a back up, (or 4). Same thing when the PS2 launched. A little planning and it's definitely doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back