Wii Pre-Order Thread - Facts, Rumors and Everything In Between

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecofreak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Some people have been asking about preordering the Wii. Right now there are two confirmed locations about where one can jump on the boat early.

B0009VXBAQ.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V41617776_.jpg

1. Gamestop
For Previous Information on Pre-Order Deal for HAWAII ONLY - Refer to this post: this post
Conditions: Unknown
Start of Preorder: Unknown
Link: http://www.gamestop.com/gs/wii/wii_signup.asp?

2. Amazon (Thanks to bmarquardt for the Heads Up)
Conditions: Unknown
Start of Preorder: September 15th
Link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009VXBAQ/

3. FYE
Conditions: Put down $50
Start of Preorder: Sometime during late spring 2006
Store Locations: http://shop.fye.com/StoreLocator.aspx

4. Lik-Sang.com
Conditions: No Money Down
1. Your pre-order is not binding and you can cancel at any time.
2. Once release details are known, you will receive an email that you need to confirm.
3. Should you decide to confirm, you will keep your position in the pre-order list.
4. Unit price and features are not confirmed and can change at any time.
5. Release date is not confirmed and might change.
6. The product is listed with a dummy price - your credit card is NOT charged.
7. All special pre-orders are limited to a maximum of 1 unit.
8. Depending on release schedule, you will be offered choice between European, US or Japanese.
9. Choices and changes are also allowed if several editions/colors are made available.
10. Once games and accessories are confirmed, you will be able to add them to your order.
Start of Preorder: I forgot ^^;
Link: http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=351&products_id=6998&

I will update the post as more pre-orders (hopefully) start up. Good hunting!

[quote name='billyrayearl']My experience with the PSP launch illustrates the same point. I walked into Walmart at quarter till twelve to find a whole 3 people waiting. Does anyone think they'll have any chance of getting a PS3 that easily? The same comparison will likely hold true fro Nintendo's handheld and console.
[/QUOTE]
A good point. Hand helds may be hard to come by around launch, but they don't pull in the same crowds and numbers as consoles. Partly because of the number of ports, partly because they don't have the power, partly because it's hard to get *that* ramped up... "Oh yeah, I'm gonna go play me some overheard shooting on my 3" screen!!!"

Back to the topic of Wii preorders... I'm really curious how GameStop will interpret the results of their "test."

What makes me think it might be positive that they ended it after a day is that they may have still had far too many interested parties than they expect to have consoles. I would imagine that's really the only reason they're attempting to make preordering more difficult.

If so, perhaps they'll do something intelligent like... allow preorders for as many systems as they will get, rather than making preordering more difficult, but still allowing any number of people to preorder.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That's BS. Their were plenty of people that took steps to get 360s and couldn't. i.e. people that preordered and got fucked because GS/EB took more preorders than they could fill, and then couldn't find one in stores elsewhere for months at least partly because of the ebay whores and morons willing to pay $1000 and up.

Of course part of the problem also goes to the console makers. They shouldn't launch until they have enough to satisfy launch day demand.[/QUOTE]

That has nothing to do with ebay people. That mainly has to deal with the retail outlet's or the manuf's incompetence to supply the amount of units they promise

[quote name='botticus']Back to the topic of Wii preorders... I'm really curious how GameStop will interpret the results of their "test."

What makes me think it might be positive that they ended it after a day is that they may have still had far too many interested parties than they expect to have consoles. [/quote]
I'm going back and forth on this. Only because how often will a company stop something because it's doing well and earning them boku bucks? And the paperwork did state that the customers aren't guranteed a system at launch, so unless the presell numbers were astronimical and they figured they wouldn't be able to fill the demand within a month... I dunno.

This has probably been posted but in the gamestop email this afternoon it states the following regarding the Wii:

For more information and a look at tentative launch titles, click here. Details regarding our pre-order program will be announced before November 19.

[quote name='mmercer13']If you want a console bad enough you can find one. Hell I ended up with 4 360s ON LAUNCH DAY!!! Using the internet and B&M stores. I also waited in line NO WHERE!! It's not that difficult. You just have to have a back up, (or 4). Same thing when the PS2 launched. A little planning and it's definitely doable.[/QUOTE]

You do realize you're part of the problem, don't you? :roll:

[quote name='Snake2715']This has probably been posted but in the gamestop email this afternoon it states the following regarding the Wii:

For more information and a look at tentative launch titles, click here. Details regarding our pre-order program will be announced before November 19.[/quote]

rofl, lets hope they after preorders before nov 19th.

[quote name='chodax']rofl, lets hope they after preorders before nov 19th.[/QUOTE]

Considering they're not guaranteeing delivery before Christmas, I don't see why they'd feel any need to rush. :roll:

[quote name='Zoglog']That has nothing to do with ebay people. That mainly has to deal with the retail outlet's or the manuf's incompetence to supply the amount of units they promise[/QUOTE]

It's not an either or situation.

That creates the ridiculous demand, that drive's the ebay market, so it is the impetus for the problem.

But for it to become a problem you still need morons willing to pay way above MSRP and greedy people that are happy to go to all efforts to get as many consoles as they can to sell to them--thus making it even harder to find for normal gamers that just want a console at launch.

I'm sort of just playing devil's advocate as I hate greedy people. I don't really care as I don't put much effort into getting stuff at launch as launch libraries suck.

I want a Wii, I'll try to preorder one, if that doesn't work I'll hit a store or two on launch morning and see if I can get one. If not, I'll just wait until their easy to find.

My life doesn't revolve around games, much less having a console on launch day, so I don't get to upset about it.

It's just a pet peeve of mine to see people hoard shit for ebay, and make it tougher on those that just want to buy the item for MSRP to keep for themselves without having to go to a ton of effort.

People are willing to shell out their hard earned money, that's all the effort that should be required. And again that mainly falls on the lame companies for launching before making enough consoles (and in some cases intentionally to create false demand and press buzz) and is simply compouned by the ebay market)

[quote name='dmaul1114']It's not an either or situation.

That creates the ridiculous demand, that drive's the ebay market, so it is the impetus for the problem.

But for it to become a problem you still need morons willing to pay way above MSRP and greedy people that are happy to go to all efforts to get as many consoles as they can to sell to them--thus making it even harder to find for normal gamers that just want a console at launch.

I'm sort of just playing devil's advocate as I hate greedy people. I don't really care as I don't put much effort into getting stuff at launch as launch libraries suck.

I want a Wii, I'll try to preorder one, if that doesn't work I'll hit a store or two on launch morning and see if I can get one. If not, I'll just wait until their easy to find.

My life doesn't revolve around games, much less having a console on launch day, so I don't get to upset about it.

It's just a pet peeve of mine to see people hoard shit for ebay, and make it tougher on those that just want to buy the item for MSRP to keep for themselves without having to go to a ton of effort.

People are willing to shell out their hard earned money, that's all the effort that should be required. And again that mainly falls on the lame companies for launching before making enough consoles (and in some cases intentionally to create false demand and press buzz) and is simply compouned by the ebay market)[/QUOTE]

Would be funny to the greedies if Ebay says no Wii or PS3 can be sold on its site till after christmas!!

[quote name='dmaul1114']It's not an either or situation.

People are willing to shell out their hard earned money, that's all the effort that should be required. And again that mainly falls on the lame companies for launching before making enough consoles (and in some cases intentionally to create false demand and press buzz) and is simply compouned by the ebay market)[/quote]

LOL everyone always complain about this or that. if u want a ps3, work as hard as those ebay hoarders are and youll get one. you say it as if they have an unfair advantage at obtaining a ps3. if they work their asses off to find a good number of them to sell on ebay, why do you think you derserve one more when you sat on ur ass at home doing nothing and thinking you should just be able to walk in on launch day and get one. And im sure if sony delayed the ps3 until they had enough, ~3 million, there would MORE criticism about a third launch delay. its a free market, go play the gizmondo if u hate sony so much

[quote name='Tybee']You do realize you're part of the problem, don't you? :roll:[/quote]

yea dude, u snatched a whole one thousandth of a percent of the alloted total in the united states!!! you bastard!!!!!!

[quote name='Americanpierg']LOL everyone always complain about this or that. if u want a ps3, work as hard as those ebay hoarders are and youll get one. you say it as if they have an unfair advantage at obtaining a ps3. if they work their asses off to find a good number of them to sell on ebay, why do you think you derserve one more when you sat on ur ass at home doing nothing [/QUOTE]

Well, I don't want a PS3, so it doesn't apply to me.

But, these ebay hoarders are losers with no lives, etc. They can put the time into finding consoles to hoard and sell on ebay for profit.

Many of those that just want one for themselves have lives. They have work, college, girlfriends, wives, kids etc. and can't put as much time and effort into it. Not everyone can spend time scouring the net, or calling a store everyday, to find out when preorders start, or sit in line all night to get one on launch morning etc.

And please use at least semi correct punctuation, capitalization and proper grammar/punctuation in your posts if you want people to actually be able to read them.

[quote name='vhgong']Would be funny to the greedies if Ebay says no Wii or PS3 can be sold on its site till after christmas!![/quote]

That would never in a million years happen because Paypal though eBay gets a commision from people receiving payment through their system. Something like 10 or 20% I don't remember. So why in the world would Paypal or eBay care if people are selling game systems for 200% their value since they're making more money as well.

Also the US runs on a capitalist system, if you don't like it move to North Korea or something

[quote name='soxfan30']

Also the US runs on a capitalist system, if you don't like it move to North Korea or something[/quote]

Ever heard of 'price gouging'? Thinks its moral?

Not everyone who wanted to get a 360 on launch day got one. In MOST cases, it amount to the luck of the draw. All of the rationalsations in this thread cannot get around that fact.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Well, I don't want a PS3, so it doesn't apply to me.

But, these ebay hoarders are losers with no lives, etc. They can put the time into finding consoles to hoard and sell on ebay for profit.

Many of those that just want one for themselves have lives. They have work, college, girlfriends, wives, kids etc. and can't put as much time and effort into it. Not everyone can spend time scouring the net, or calling a store everyday, to find out when preorders start, or sit in line all night to get one on launch morning etc.

And please use at least semi correct punctuation, capitalization and proper grammar/punctuation in your posts if you want people to actually be able to read them.[/quote]

lol theyre losers with no lives? last time i check they were very bright and intelligent individuals. They've thought things through and planned things out already. You dont just find idiots investing thousands of dollars into something that hasn't even come out yet. im sure theyd much rather work for a month and make as much as you do in half a year. If having a 8-5 job at mcdonalds is having a life, im sure theyre glad they dont have one. if ur dumb enough not to spend ~30 hours of time making thousands of dollar, then so be it.

[quote name='Americanpierg']yea dude, u snatched a whole one thousandth of a percent of the alloted total in the united states!!! you bastard!!!!!![/QUOTE]

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but it adds up when hundreds or thousands of people get multiple systems.

[quote name='horrido']Ever heard of 'price gouging'? Thinks its moral?

Not everyone who wanted to get a 360 on launch day got one. In MOST cases, it amount to the luck of the draw. All of the rationalsations in this thread cannot get around that fact.[/quote]

what does price gouging have anything to do with this? during the xbox360 launch, the seller had nothing to do with the final price, therefore the seller had no asking price in the deal. the ebay fiasco was driven by the buyers, not the sellers, therefore no "price gouging" on the sellers part. dont even go into "morals" with this. whos to say whats immoral. god? culture? the government?

[quote name='Americanpierg']yea dude, u snatched a whole one thousandth of a percent of the alloted total in the united states!!! you bastard!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Yay! You can rationalize immoral behavior. Congratulations! You have what it takes to be President of the United States!

[quote name='rabbitt']I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but it adds up when hundreds or thousands of people get multiple systems.[/quote]

You can't stop stores from selling more than 1 console to one person. Especially when the people are buying from different places. Just apart of retail.

[quote name='Tybee']Yay! You can rationalize immoral behavior. Congratulations! You have what it takes to be President of the United States![/quote]
LOL immoral behavior in whos eyes, urs? whats the foundation you built ur morals on...tell me, u can buy mass quanties of cheap games and sell them to a coporation for more than you bought it for, but yet u cant buy multiple ps3s and sell it on ebay for the seller at their own asking price? we can discrimate towards sexual preference but we shouldnt be able to sell ps3s for a profit on ebay, god bless president tybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitt
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but it adds up when hundreds or thousands of people get multiple systems.

yea i understand what ur saying, but...

40,000 xbox 360s ended up on ebay, ebay made ~1,000,000 off of ebay fees, the economy prospers off of the spending of money, those that truely wanted the system found a way to obtain one, those that didnt want one made some extra spending money, microsoft gained some priceless publicity, so what if a couple people couldnt feed their addiction for a couple months, everything that happens is gods plan, he felt those gamers needed a break

[quote name='Americanpierg']lol theyre losers with no lives? last time i check they were very bright and intelligent individuals. They've thought things through and planned things out already. You dont just find idiots investing thousands of dollars into something that hasn't even come out yet. im sure theyd much rather work for a month and make as much as you do in half a year. If having a 8-5 job at mcdonalds is having a life, im sure theyre glad they dont have one. if ur dumb enough not to spend ~30 hours of time making thousands of dollar, then so be it.[/QUOTE]

I'm finishing up a Ph D so I can make that kind of money without being an asshole and snatching up shit to sell on ebay, thank you very much.

And you can't call anyone dumb with the level of grammatical stupidity in your posts.

A PhD making money? Funny, my professors always say that their potential earnings plummeted the moment they decided to pursue their doctorates ;)

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'm finishing up a Ph D so I can make that kind of money without being an asshole and snatching up shit to sell on ebay, thank you very much.

And you can't call anyone dumb with the level of grammatical stupidity in your posts.[/quote]

this isnt a scientific web forum, i dont spend my time typing like a 40 year old scientist. I'm pretty sure im not the dumb one wasting 10 years of my life going for a PhD. what a worthless track through life. what does a phd get u... a piece of paper thats worth crap int he real world, and what, u raise ur income by 20k over some highschool dropout. i dont even need to justify myself, but be sure, my life is much better than urs.

Yea... how is it luck of the draw that some one can get a console? He got lucky by standing outside the store for 6 hours?

He said he's finishing it, meaning he's already paid for it or will soon make enough money that his loans won't be an issue.

[quote name='TahoeMax']A PhD making money? Funny, my professors always say that their potential earnings plummeted the moment they decided to pursue their doctorates ;)[/QUOTE]

Professors make decent money, but it definitely isn't the path to take if making money is your sole goal.

It's not for me, and I'm fine with the starting salaries and making over $100,000 after 5 or 6 years to do work I enjoy and that can make a difference in the world. :D

Much better than the losers on Fat Wallet that just scrounge up shit to sell on ebay.

[quote name='Americanpierg']this isnt a scientific web forum, i dont spend my time typing like a 40 year old scientist. I'm pretty sure im not the dumb one wasting 10 years of my life going for a PhD. what a worthless track through life. what does a phd get u... a piece of paper thats worth crap int he real world, and what, u raise ur income by 20k over some highschool dropout. i dont even need to justify myself, but be sure, my life is much better than urs.[/quote]

Although a PhD might not be the most lucrative career track to take, I have nothing but respect for people who go that route. Without them, our educational institutions would be abysmal and many, many, many of the breakthroughs that make our lives comfy and easy would never have happened. This post is one of the most ignorant things I've ever seen in my life...

[quote name='chodax']Yea... how is it luck of the draw that some one can get a console? He got lucky by standing outside the store for 6 hours?[/QUOTE]

Luck of the draw on how many the have and where you are in the line. And luck of the draw in how many people are in line when you show up to begin waiting.

[quote name='Tybee']You do realize you're part of the problem, don't you? :roll:[/QUOTE]

When I'm doing something nice for people that I know and NOT selling them on Ebay, why is that a problem? Even if I did sell them on Ebay, it's a problem to you because......why???

[quote name='dmaul1114']Professors make decent money, but it definitely isn't the path to take if making money is your sole goal.

It's not for me, and I'm fine with the starting salaries and making over $100,000 after 5 or 6 years to do work I enjoy and that can make a difference in the world. :D

Much better than the losers on Fat Wallet that just scrounge up shit to sell on ebay.[/quote]

What are you studying? I just finished my undergrad and decided to go premed. The life sciences are killing me after 4 years of solid humanities and social sciences.

[quote name='TahoeMax']What are you studying? I just finished my undergrad and decided to go premed. The life sciences are killing me after 4 years of solid humanities and social sciences.[/QUOTE]

Criminology.

[quote name='Americanpierg']this isnt a scientific web forum, i dont spend my time typing like a 40 year old scientist. I'm pretty sure im not the dumb one wasting 10 years of my life going for a PhD. what a worthless track through life. what does a phd get u... a piece of paper thats worth crap int he real world, and what, u raise ur income by 20k over some highschool dropout. i dont even need to justify myself, but be sure, my life is much better than urs.[/quote]Man, my empty ignore list is finding a lot of fresh meat.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Professors make decent money, but it definitely isn't the path to take if making money is your sole goal.

Much better than the losers on Fat Wallet that just scrounge up shit to sell on ebay.[/quote]

somehow im pretty sure someone who has a PhD and visits cheapassgamer periodically wont be teaching in a university anytime soon. best case scenario is u end up at some highschool making 30 grand a year flaunting ur "intelligence" by talking down to some 16 year olds. u have a very poor understanding of the current economy if u feel u can just snatch up a six figure job by getting a PhD. college is worthless if u dont execute correctly after its over. masters and phds are almost worthless, unless of course u enjoy doing that crap. the money and lifestyles lies within the professional feilds. its just that someone people need some cash before they get there, and thats where ps3/ebay coems in.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Man, my empty ignore list is finding a lot of fresh meat.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for mentioning that. I never though to check to see if this forum had one as I hadn't had a use for it until now.

[quote name='Americanpierg']somehow im pretty sure someone who has a PhD and visits cheapassgamer periodically wont be teaching in a university anytime soon. best case scenario is u end up at some highschool making 30 grand a year flaunting ur "intelligence" by talking down to some 16 year olds. u have a very poor understanding of the current economy if u feel u can just snatch up a six figure job by getting a PhD. college is worthless if u dont execute correctly after its over. masters and phds are almost worthless, unless of course u enjoy doing that crap. the money and lifestyles lies within the professional feilds. its just that someone people need some cash before they get there, and thats where ps3/ebay coems in.[/QUOTE]

I go to the top ranked doctoral program in the world for my field. People that have graduated from here in the time I've been here have got jobs in top tier universities making anywhere from $60-75,000 a year starting out. And that is the 9 month academic salary, not factoring in extra income in the summers and on overloads from external grants, consulting etc.

You don't know what you're talking about. The pay isn't great compared to people getting an MBA, but academics who graduate from top schools, work hard, publish a lot and get a job at a top tier program due quite well. And I fit all those bills already, and will be in pretty good shape with finding a job when I graduate.

But I'm not wasting any more time defending myself on here....I need to get back to studying! :D

Welcome to my ignore list.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I go to the top ranked doctoral program in the world for my field. People that have graduated from here in the time I've been here have got jobs in top tier universities making anywhere from $60-75,000 a year starting out. And that is the 9 month academic salary, not factoring in extra income in the summers and on overloads from external grants, consulting etc.

You don't know what you're talking about. The pay isn't great compared to people getting an MBA, but academics who graduate from top schools, work hard, publish a lot and get a job at a top tier program due quite well. And I fit all those bills already, and will be in pretty good shape with finding a job when I graduate.

But I'm not wasting any more time defending myself on here....I need to get back to studying! :D

Welcome to my ignore list.[/quote]

lol

Stopped by the local GS on the way home from work and preordered Zelda. Didn't get any details about the Wii preorder, but they did mention (as others have posted) that they will likely call everyone with a Wii preorder in the system in advance to let them know when they can preorder the system.

Sounded like it might be a call from the corporate service--same as with the calls asking people who had preordered Zelda for the GC if they wanted to switch it to the Wii.

[quote name='Tybee']Considering they're not guaranteeing delivery before Christmas, I don't see why they'd feel any need to rush. :roll:[/QUOTE]

They're just covering their asses after the 360 debacle.

I'd be shocked if all Wii preorders weren't filled by X-mas.

PS3 will be a different story since many fewer of them are shipping. But they'd be smart to not take more preorders than they have systems.

Hey everyong, first time poster, long time lurker. Anyway yesterday I reserved a Wii from FYE. And the manager mentioned something about having to buy a bundle along side it, when I asked him more about it, he said it'd probably be something along the lines of in addition to a Wii an extra controller and 2 games. He said the reason for it was that it was around Christmas and they intended to do this for both the Wii and the PS3. Anyone else get told any of this or what?

[quote name='billyrayearl']The difference here is that overall demand for a home console, whether at launch or at any point in its life cycle, is generally going to be much greater than the demand for a handheld. Handhelds, with the possible exception of little kids, are owned mostly by the hardest of the hardcore gamers.

Just as an example, out of the 50 or so people I waited in line with all night for a 360, maybe 3 of them had a handheld system with them. I'm sure anyone who owned a DS/PSP woul have brought it with them when they were going to wait in line for 10-12 hours. The fact is, handhelds aren't as prevalent as consoles, so you will have an easier time finding one at launch.

My experience with the PSP launch illustrates the same point. I walked into Walmart at quarter till twelve to find a whole 3 people waiting. Does anyone think they'll have any chance of getting a PS3 that easily? The same comparison will likely hold true fro Nintendo's handheld and console.

Maybe.[/quote]

I respectfully disagree.

[quote name='786110']Hey everyong, first time poster, long time lurker. Anyway yesterday I reserved a Wii from FYE. And the manager mentioned something about having to buy a bundle along side it, when I asked him more about it, he said it'd probably be something along the lines of in addition to a Wii an extra controller and 2 games. He said the reason for it was that it was around Christmas and they intended to do this for both the Wii and the PS3. Anyone else get told any of this or what?[/QUOTE]

I asked about it last Saturday and the guy (who I've known literally 25 years) said there wouldn't be bundles. Do I believe him?? No. I don't have much faith in FYE.

[quote name='mmercer13']I asked about it last Saturday and the guy (who I've known literally 25 years) said there wouldn't be bundles. Do I believe him?? No. I don't have much faith in FYE.[/quote]

My FYE has forced bundles for the last three major system releases.

[quote name='Plinko']My FYE has forced bundles for the last three major system releases.[/quote]
same thing i heard at my FYE. wack

I think for the DS you were able to get a system on the launch day or maybe a few days after depending on where you live. Then as it moved closer to christmas because there were no more consoles fist fights erupted in the stores, people automatically expect you (if your a retail store) to have the latest video game system and latest electronics in stock the week before christmas, in an ideal world yes, in this world, no. I actually witnessed many people kicking the glass of the case where the ds's were supposed to be and getting very angry at clerks, lovely situation really. I got my ds at launch because i put in a preorder at an ebgames store the day before black friday for a system on the second shipment, and i was told that i got the last one that they had. Nintendo did do their best to send out as many systems as humanly possible though, and they did send a second shipment before christmas to fill demand, they even publicly apologized for the shortage of DS systems. Oh yeah and the madness was even more insane in japan as you might imagine... Even with the original DS fiasco the systems didnt start appearing in the stores until like March, and even then they would sell out right away, so it took quite a while for them to fill the demand for the system.

With the xbox360 it was the same thing, no systems, every store advertising them, people asking clerks for xbox360's, clerks telling them to go to ebay to buy one since they didnt have any and wouldnt be getting any for some time. Many people walking into ebgames/gamestop with money in hand ready to purchase system as a gift and the store being backlogged with preorders until god knows when. People automatically expect the things on little johnny's christmas list to be in stock after black friday and a week before christmas, it doesnt happen that way though! Need we forget the lineups at stores for this.. hehe

I honestly expect 90% of this years console supply to go to ebay for sales, especially with the ps3, you know that pretty much every ps3 will be going on ebay, its just inevitable... its an easy way to make some quick cash provided you dont care about playing the latest games right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back