Wii price drop (Confirmed for Sunday) $199 TRU, Target, Best Buy ad leaks

wildnuts02

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
this has finally been confirmed by Best Buy internal emails. The price drop will be officially announced by Nintendo on 9/25:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/22/wii-price-drop-confirmed-199-starting-this-weekend/

Ad Leaks

http://kotaku.com/5359038/toys-r-us-ad-points-to-199-wii-price-drop-this-month

Also, if you notice, in the TRU ad, there is a bonus that has a $12.99 value. According to CAG prim4444 the bonus is a Nintendo T-Shirt. Thanks!

500x_wii_tru_price_cut.jpg

Target ad proof:
[quote name='Fernando Rocker']An anonymous tipster sends us this picture of an alleged Target circular for the week of September 27th, joining Wal-Mart and Toys R Us on the $199.99 Wii price drop bandwagon.
Sure it's blurry and only a partial picture of the full page, but the information in this picture coincides with the information we've seen previously in rumored ads from both Wal-Mart and Toys R Us, sharing the exact date with the latter.

This latest ad also fuels our suspicions that Nintendo will make a big price drop announcement during the Tokyo Game Show next week, despite the fact that the company does not have an official presence at the show.

Via Kotaku.

500x_targetad.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Best Buy
c6a6s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also forgot to mention that since the Wii is essentially a superpowered up GCN (and I mean that to the highest respect as I thought the GCN produced many beautifully crafted games) with the only diff in CPU and GPU is 2-3 times it's raw horsepower; it is 100% backward compatible!!! Something I will really miss when I pick up a PS3 slim this coming black friday!!!

Apologies to Blitz.

But to JohnDoeHoe, I'm sorry but your reply just reinforces what I said. The 360 sold more cause it was cheaper (and amazingly alot of 360 owners I know used that same argument against the Wii but somehow forget it with the 360) AND had a year head start. I plan on getting one once I see how well Champions Online turns out and if the RRoD is a real thing of the past but as you can see if you actually read, I mentioned 360 Arcade owners, not all 360 owners.

I got both of my 60GB PS3's used for under $300 each. I think that would qualify as a "smart" choice. Altho with my PS2 still running fine I didn't need the backwards compatibility but I wasn't gonna pay to have Sony take features out. And I also game everyday...for free.

Oni-link, nice library there. I think you got like three I don't have but may wanna get. Vortextk listed nicely too. I would just add Pokemon Battle Rev and Wii Sports Resort (the frisbee and three point shooting alone are worth the price). Also Wii Fit is good as long as you understand it's not a game per se. If my ass wasn't so lazy I would probably like it more but I can't fault Nintendo for that. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/member.php?u=52252

Reinforced what you just said? I guess your just a bit hardheaded. If you know how to read, I said clearly the reason people choose 360 is for the much bigger game library and much superior online service. Get that through your head.

I wanted to like my Wii alot more than I actually did... I ended up just selling mine once I heard whispers of a "price drop." I'm not into shooters, and had a blast with alot of Wii games, but in the grand scheme Wii games are just way too expensive for what they are typically. If Namco Bandai actually brings Tales of Graces stateside I may pick another one up (and it kills me that DLC is linked to the console, not the account... grr) but at the moment there's was just no real compelling reason for me to own one.

sooners.. nice list. but there are so many games exclusive to each console. The wii is a nice console I seem to alternate from my PS3 to the wii. Its all cyclical for me.

I laugh at all the hate here, though the gamecube owners did the same thing 5 years ago.

OK, so the bottom line for DarkNessBear IMO is that the Wii does have some great games IF YOU LIKE THE GENRES so it still falls to you to look into the games and see what moves you. Some important factors are:
If you game alone mostly (in your house)
If you like to game online
What types of games you like (shooters, racing, party, etc)
What kind of money you have (360 & PS3 games run $60 each, Wii tend to be $40-50)
If you care about downloadable extras
What older games you like since all have some kind of backwards compatibility (all PS3's play PS1 games but not too many know this)
and of course what exclusive franchises you like and how much

That would sum it up from me. I like to use my 10-to-1 theory here where I say a console is worth it if there's 10 games out (or in the immediate future) that I think I'll play and like. Still, that leaves it up to you to really look into the games. As I said, almost all of the games I play most (Rockband, Burnout, EA games) are on both consoles. I can't list 10 must-have games for either the 360 or PS3 for my own tastes but to keep straight to this thread I can say you won't go wrong with Boom Blox 2, Mairo Kart, Smash Bros, and Wii Resort. If you have no small children around I'd throw in Madworld.

I have something like 15 Wii games on my shelf, and there's more that I want but don't have yet. I don't know how you can say there's no games for it.

sometimes when I read all this Wii bashing, I have to wonder what the age median for CAG users is. Anyone who wasn't raised on a PS1(or later) should have an appreciation for the Wii.. if for nothing else, then for the fact that it has some of the best games IN HISTORY available for it(Zelda 3, Super Metroid, Zelda:OoT, etc).

I bought my Wii at launch purely because of the promise of the Virtual Console, and everything good that comes out for retail is just a bonus for me. ..Speaking of which, I own about 25 retail Wii titles, none of them being shovelware. If you think there aren't "any" good games for it, you aren't looking close enough.

And as for the graphics complaints... well I don't even know how to explain how insignificant they are.. you either appreciate games for how fun they are, or you don't. I won't try to convince you otherwise.

I guess it's been awhile since I've looked at general discussion threads (clearly this is now what this thread is), but when did Wii get so much hate? Jeez...I guess you can only be a "cool kid" if you hate Wii. Whatever.

I don't understand the point of 360; I really don't. Sports and FPS...whee...pay to play online? No thanks. Inferior to the PS3. Why would I want this? Microsoft exclusives? LOL...like what? I can live without Halo thanks.

I love my PS3, but admittedly I use it mostly for Blu-Ray and as a PS2.

Certainly not going to fully "defend" Wii because, admittedly, it has been lackluster. The first party games just don't carry the same "oomph" they used to, but it's not a bad system. Virtual Console and some really cool 3rd party games carry it for me. MURAMASA is just fantastic.

Honestly this generation belongs to Nintendo DS...by far. Nothing can touch the software library that the DS has amassed.

Keeping to the topic...$199, it's about time. Real arrogance on Nintendo's part here, should have dropped earlier this year.

Too many pages to read through on a simple price drop, so I'll just add my thanks to the OP for pointing this out.

My main interest in all this is knowing that the selling price for used consoles goes down with price drops for new consoles. I may finally nab a used Wii for a decent price.

None of the systems (360/PS3/Wii/DS/PSP) are any better than each other - they're just different. Different strokes for different folks and all that...

I think Nintendo has THE best first party games in existence and the polish they put on their games never ceases to amaze me. That said, IMO their games have very limited replayability since they are mostly focused on the single player experience. The 360/PS3 has strong multiplayer titles that people can keep playing for months (years?) since each time you play online it is essentially a "new" game and you are continuously improving. This is where *I AM BIASED* since that is my preference for games.

I am curious as to how the Super Smash Bro. Melee and Mario Kart online experiences are, however, if someone would chime in on that as I'm honestly interested in some first hand experiences.

Nintendo has several Wii games that I would absolutely love to play but they are all games that I would play, beat, and then be done with...

Disclaimer: The only consoles I currently own are Gamecube and DSi

Ohh, I'm so tempted to buy a Wii after the price drops. There are about at least dozen games I want for it, I've just been putting off purchasing the console because I'm a cheapass.

[quote name='salty tbone']

Off-topic: My dad can beat all your dads up.[/QUOTE]

That might be on topic actually, given how this is going down.

OP start a new thread when this happens...

Great news on the price drop but what a sad little thread.

[quote name='smoger']sometimes when I read all this Wii bashing, I have to wonder what the age median for CAG users is. [/QUOTE]

:lol: No shit. I thought all these kids were supposed to be back in school. ;)

[quote name='Aleman']I would get one but I have a feeling that the Wii will be completely obsolete next year when Sony and Microsoft's motion control stuff comes out. Plus Wii games look pretty bad on HDTVs.[/QUOTE]

Right. Name one add-on that revolutionized a system to the point that you are describing. MS & Sony's motion might be cool but they will be niche just like WM+ since only a small fraction of the user base will pony up for them and a small number of games will utilize them. Saying the Wii will be obsolete once these hit is naive at best and basically lunacy.

[quote name='spuffin'] I am curious as to how the Super Smash Bro. Melee and Mario Kart online experiences are, however, if someone would chime in on that as I'm honestly interested in some first hand experiences.[/QUOTE]

My family plays Mario Kart online all the time and there's very few times when lag is a problem, even when the racers are in Europe, the US, and Asia all in the same race. Also the fact that you can still get 8+ player races at almost any time of day is a great selling point. I personally don't play that much cause I'm more of a Burnout fan when it comes to racing but I do play offline.

Smash Bros does get some lag and I think that's because of the sheer speed of the game ( but SF IV on the PS3 and 360 also have lag) and the fact that all fighting games have lag.

Of the two I rate MK higher as it's more of a pick-up-and-play game and the online experience is really good. I will add tho that I have a pretty good connection and each time I've had lag (like in Pokemon Battle Rev) is playing against younger players so maybe their families aren't as serious and don't have good connections. But that's just a guess.

[quote name='spuffin']
I am curious as to how the Super Smash Bro. Melee and Mario Kart online experiences are, however, if someone would chime in on that as I'm honestly interested in some first hand experiences.[/QUOTE]

Mario Kart is decent online, but just starting a game can take minutes. Ontop of that, i honestly think the game uses trickery to make it seem like there is no lag. Prediction type stuff since sometimes someone in 8th place jumps literally in front of me randomly into first. Its designed to hide the bad online, imo.

Smash is literally unplayable online. Unless you like 2FPS gaming, dont even bother with the online multiplayer portion of the game. Some douche said that SF4 also has lag, which is a huge laugh. SF4 is usually fantastic online for PS3 and 360. Its really sad to lie just to get your point across, but i guess when you dont know what a functional online platform is like, you just lie to make it comparable to your broken one.

I own all 5 current gen systems and have played every major exclusive per platform. Seriously, if you like online gaming at all, the Wii is the last console you should be looking at.

[quote name='smoger']sometimes when I read all this Wii bashing, I have to wonder what the age median for CAG users is. Anyone who wasn't raised on a PS1(or later) should have an appreciation for the Wii.. if for nothing else, then for the fact that it has some of the best games IN HISTORY available for it(Zelda 3, Super Metroid, Zelda:OoT, etc).

I bought my Wii at launch purely because of the promise of the Virtual Console, and everything good that comes out for retail is just a bonus for me. ..Speaking of which, I own about 25 retail Wii titles, none of them being shovelware. If you think there aren't "any" good games for it, you aren't looking close enough.

And as for the graphics complaints... well I don't even know how to explain how insignificant they are.. you either appreciate games for how fun they are, or you don't. I won't try to convince you otherwise.[/QUOTE]

My household's first system was an Atari 2600 in about 1981-82.

Anyway, as I've stated, I don't care for the Wii, more often than not the controls are a distraction rather than enhancement for gameplay, and the exclusives that I care about aren't there. Lots of people have impulse bought it, lots sit around without being used (this is based on NPD reports and surveys, not just my opinion) and I think it's because it's still kind of gimmicky.

I do expect games to have a certain polish and should be relevant to the era in which they were released. Unfortunately there are a ton of Wii games that fail on both accounts. It feels like a dated system with controls I despise.

It's fine that folks love the Wii, it's just not for me...and I've been gaming longer than probably half the people on CAG have been alive.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I hate the terms "core gamer" and "hardcore gamer" with a fiery passion.[/QUOTE]
You need to differentiate between casual players and core gamers with some type of description...

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']
So you're passing judgment on four games that haven't been released yet, and an opinion on the fifth ("better on GC" is not only an opinion, but one that most of the people who've played the games with the Wiimote would disagree with)? You've convinced me - the Wii is only worth $80. :roll:[/QUOTE]
Reviews for Muramasa are out, MPT is better on GC technically which is BS and arguably control wise as well depending on the person, Dead Space as I said is a rail shooter and no matter how good it is it won't compare to the original, New Super Mario Bros was 90% likely a DS game originally and it's unlikely it will be something people will be dying to play plus the development is a bit lazy without a 4th unique character.

I'm also curious why "good" or "great" games don't appeal to you. I think your user title of "photorealism in 3 gens" is a good clue - they're just not pretty enough, are they? [/QUOTE]
They do appeal to me, just not as much as excellent games, excellent > good. Can't play everything. I like games regardless of graphics, that is why I play DS and classic titles still. That quote is a prediction about the industry's future, not an obsession with graphics.

That never meant anything. The only thing the seal ever meant is that the game is certified to work with Nintendo hardware (which was an issue back in the days of unlicensed NES games), and has nothing to do with the quality of the product inside.

Want proof?

Notice the Seal of Quality on the cover of those game? Ever played those games?[/QUOTE]
Actually the Seal of Quality meant a publisher was only allowed to release 5 games per year on that Nintendo system. So it prevented them from releasing tons of shovelware... :roll:

[quote name='blitz6speed']i honestly think the game uses trickery to make it seem like there is no lag.

Smash is literally unplayable online. Unless you like 2FPS gaming, dont even bother with the online multiplayer portion of the game.[/QUOTE]
Point one is correct.

The second point is wrong. Play with friends, and for whatever reason, the lag is gone.

[quote name='J7.']Reviews for Muramasa are out, MPT is better on GC technically which is BS and arguably control wise as well depending on the person, Dead Space as I said is a rail shooter and no matter how good it is it won't compare to the original, New Super Mario Bros was 90% likely a DS game originally and it's unlikely it will be something people will be dying to play plus the development is a bit lazy without a 4th unique character.[/QUOTE]

Again, assumptions. Of course Dead Space won't compare to the original, because it's a different genre. Did Resident Evil Survivor - the light gun game - compare to the other RE games? What about FFXI against any of the single player titles?

As for Mario..."90% likely a DS game?" Do you have any proof of that? As for "people dying to play," I seem to remember New Super Mario Brothers selling pretty well. Why wouldn't people want to play a new 2D Mario game, given how revered the earlier ones have been?

[quote name='J7.']They do appeal to me, just not as much as excellent games, excellent > good. Can't play everything. I like games regardless of graphics, that is why I play DS and classic titles still. That quote is a prediction about the industry's future, not an obsession with graphics.[/QUOTE]

Please enlighten us, then: what makes an excellent game?

[quote name='J7.']Actually the Seal of Quality meant a publisher was only allowed to release 5 games per year on that Nintendo system. So it prevented them from releasing tons of shovelware... :roll:[/QUOTE]

I guess I was wrong in saying that it meant nothing, but it still doesn't change my argument. Quantity and quality are not directly connected, and the seal did never mean anything in terms of quality of the product it was printed on.

The current explanation of the seal:
The official seal is your assurance that this product is licensed or manufactured by Nintendo. Always look for this seal when buying video game systems, accessories, games, and related products.
Again, all this really means is that the product will work with the Wii. No more, no less.

Besides, when was the last time Nintendo actually enforced that rule? EA's been releasing more than five sports titles in a year for at least a decade, and they haven't been denied the seal.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lombarvm']For those of us with little time for games, and who have actually seen a vagina, the wii is a great casual system and $199 is worth it.[/QUOTE]

hahahah. nice. :lol:

Most of the wii bashers want to know whether dog vagina counts.

:roll: Damn... now more lame office holiday parties to attend. Several co-workers were waiting for a price drop so they could finally pick one up and have a Wii party. :drool:

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Again, assumptions. Of course Dead Space won't compare to the original, because it's a different genre. Did Resident Evil Survivor - the light gun game - compare to the other RE games? What about FFXI against any of the single player titles?

As for Mario..."90% likely a DS game?" Do you have any proof of that? As for "people dying to play," I seem to remember New Super Mario Brothers selling pretty well. Why wouldn't people want to play a new 2D Mario game, given how revered the earlier ones have been?

Please enlighten us, then: what makes an excellent game?

I guess I was wrong in saying that it meant nothing, but it still doesn't change my argument. Quantity and quality are not directly connected, and the seal did never mean anything in terms of quality of the product it was printed on.

The current explanation of the seal:

Again, all this really means is that the product will work with the Wii. No more, no less.

Besides, when was the last time Nintendo actually enforced that rule? EA's been releasing more than five sports titles in a year for at least a decade, and they haven't been denied the seal.[/QUOTE]
Every rail shooter based off an action game has paled in comparison and this time it's being made on a subpar system. It's simple rationale. No those other games did not compare directly, other than being worse. You can still make a distinction between titles in quality even if they're different genres...

Everyone was saying it looked like a DS port when it was first unveiled and that sentiment is justified based on its technical aspects. Yes a number of people will enjoy it just like the DS one, doesn't mean its an excellent game though.

An excellent game is a game that is highly rated by critics and users, but not because of hype or the bandwagon. In the case of Wii games, most of the best selling ones are unfortunately for casual players, which sucks for core Wii gamers.

Quantity and Quality are related, especially when the owner of a console limits the amount of games you can create for it specifically to ensure higher quality. You must not remember the crash of '83. :applause: That is why they had the seal. :roll:

[quote name='confoosious']Talk out of your ass much?[/QUOTE]
Look at the game much? Hurting for enough games mid lifecycle, a trend they've had since N64.... Solution found. Just like rereleasing GC games or upgrades of existing games (MPT, WF+). Hell Z:TP & Super Paper Mario were GC games pushed over to Wii.

No point in arguing with you two since it will go nowhere, I'm done with this thread & won't be wasting time replying to your next 'rebuttal'.

[quote name='J7.']I'm done with this thread & won't be wasting time replying to your next 'rebuttal'.[/QUOTE]

Mission accomplished then.

was reading about this this morning on cnet, i'd like to see game prices go down for a change, $50 a pop is pretty steep.

I would rather see Nintendo have a bundle system (Super Mario Galaxy & Super Smash Bros. Brawl or Zelda: Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime Trilogy or something to that effect) with the Wii and keep it at $250 or even $220, but I think the 360 & PS3 price drops forced their hand. I'm not even sure $199 for Wii with Wii Sports is even enticing for me if I didn't have a Wii.

Unfortunately, the prevailing myth about the Wii is that it's a "non-gamer system" even though it has some great games on it that aren't multiplayer games.

Still the worst value out of the three systems out now, especially after their respective price drops. There are a couple decent/good games on the Wii. There is practically nothing to it hardware wise though, why not drop it to $99 or at least throw in another controller at this price since its meant for multiplayer anyway?

A ton of bitching in this thread, the price is dropping 50 bucks, its a deal...if you like the system or not isn't the point, the drop will be saving people money :) which is the point

Besides, when was the last time Nintendo actually enforced that rule? EA's been releasing more than five sports titles in a year for at least a decade, and they haven't been denied the seal.[/QUOTE]
The reason it doesn't have online is because it pushes the Wii to its limits in 4 player. Definately a DS game. :lol:

Since they were required not to by law via antitrust suits.

I was happy to buy the N64 at $99... I'll only be happy to buy the Wii at the same price.

I figure, Nintendo will have to do something to combat the PS3's Motion Controller (out in Spring '10) and the 360's Milo tech...!

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']Wake me up when it's $150.[/QUOTE]

Ditto...

$150 with Super Mario Galaxy and I am in.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']A ton of bitching in this thread, the price is dropping 50 bucks, its a deal...if you like the system or not isn't the point, the drop will be saving people money :) which is the point[/QUOTE]

The drop is MSRP so no deal. More like a FYI for those who wanted to buy a wii for $250 (probably not many people here).

Reading some people mention about Nintendo re-releasing GC games enhance (J7.)...will you be saying the same about Sony now that they started that trend with God of War I and II getting a 're-release' for Blu-ray?

There is already articles of people asking for more re-releases when all it does is increase the graphics. Yet is bad when Nintendo does it and changes the control scheme completly?

[quote name='confoosious']Talk out of your ass much?[/QUOTE]

Wow. You do realize that NSMB Wii is NSMB DS with 4 players tacked on, right? Man, i hope you do. If you've played NSMB DS, you've played the wii version.

[quote name='Jon Bon']when will this ad be released? I know it says the week of the 27th but I was wondering on the specific day?[/QUOTE]

I would guess the 27th, since that's a Sunday.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Wow. You do realize that NSMB Wii is NSMB DS with 4 players tacked on, right? Man, i hope you do. If you've played NSMB DS, you've played the wii version.[/QUOTE]

Hi there. Do you have a demo version of the Wii game that was released to news outlets like IGN and Gamespot? Is it fun?

[quote name='blitz6speed']Wow. You do realize that NSMB Wii is NSMB DS with 4 players tacked on, right? Man, i hope you do. If you've played NSMB DS, you've played the wii version.[/QUOTE]
facepalm.jpg

[quote name='confoosious']Hi there. Do you have a demo version of the Wii game that was released to news outlets like IGN and Gamespot? Is it fun?[/QUOTE]

Its a wii game, of course it isnt fun! Why ask questions you know the answer to!!!

Anyone know if this means the DS might drop as well? DS is overdue for a drop to $99.99, and the DSi should drop accordingly.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']A ton of bitching in this thread, the price is dropping 50 bucks, its a deal...if you like the system or not isn't the point, the drop will be saving people money :) which is the point[/QUOTE]

Your logic and on topic reply will not be tolerated here.

bread's done
Back