Wii price drop (Confirmed for Sunday) $199 TRU, Target, Best Buy ad leaks

wildnuts02

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
this has finally been confirmed by Best Buy internal emails. The price drop will be officially announced by Nintendo on 9/25:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/22/wii-price-drop-confirmed-199-starting-this-weekend/

Ad Leaks

http://kotaku.com/5359038/toys-r-us-ad-points-to-199-wii-price-drop-this-month

Also, if you notice, in the TRU ad, there is a bonus that has a $12.99 value. According to CAG prim4444 the bonus is a Nintendo T-Shirt. Thanks!

500x_wii_tru_price_cut.jpg

Target ad proof:
[quote name='Fernando Rocker']An anonymous tipster sends us this picture of an alleged Target circular for the week of September 27th, joining Wal-Mart and Toys R Us on the $199.99 Wii price drop bandwagon.
Sure it's blurry and only a partial picture of the full page, but the information in this picture coincides with the information we've seen previously in rumored ads from both Wal-Mart and Toys R Us, sharing the exact date with the latter.

This latest ad also fuels our suspicions that Nintendo will make a big price drop announcement during the Tokyo Game Show next week, despite the fact that the company does not have an official presence at the show.

Via Kotaku.

500x_targetad.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Best Buy
c6a6s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ddeeaallzz']Anyone know if this means the DS might drop as well? DS is overdue for a drop to $99.99, and the DSi should drop accordingly.[/QUOTE]

DS sales have not slowed at all though. They'd be leaving money on the table.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Wow. You do realize that NSMB Wii is NSMB DS with 4 players tacked on, right? Man, i hope you do. If you've played NSMB DS, you've played the wii version.[/QUOTE]

lol_cat-12926.jpg

You do realize that "New Super Mario Bros. Wii" is a completely new game, right?

There's alot of angry people in this thread for no apparent reason.

The way I look at it is that if you think that "teh Wii is Kiddie", doesn't have enough games, doesn't have the games you like, or whatever, just go on playing your 360 and PS3 and shut up about it.

I mean seriously, no amount of you bitching is going to change anything. Let those of us that enjoy the Wii enjoy it, dammit. No amount of convincing is going to make us think otherwise.

[quote name='uglyteradon']I gotta sell my Wii... immediately.[/QUOTE]

Anyone the least bit interested in selling their Wii for the most possible money should do it NAOW. As soon as the general population become aware of new systems selling for $200 you'll be lucky to get $150 including shipping.

At least this general philosophy has prove true for the PS3. I own (& am forever keeping) a 60GB full BC PS3. They & all other BC systems were welling for a premium. But now that new slims are selling for $300 nobody is selling BC systems for more than $250. And that's if you're lucky. Before the Slim PS3 the BC's were selling for $00-400 >.< That is a huge drop in resale value.

[quote name='maximumzero']
lol_cat-12926.jpg

You do realize that "New Super Mario Bros. Wii" is a completely new game, right?[/QUOTE]

1) he probably thinks because the characters Mario and Luigi are in it, that's it's just a port of an old arcade game. Nintendo is ripping people off again.

2) I doubt he'll answer his own mistake.

I learn something new every day here at CAG. For example, I was wrong when I thought I liked the games I have for the Wii. Apparently all those games suck. For example, I didn't actually have a blast playing Punchout like I thought I had. Apparently I was delusional. Or something. Ditto for all the other games we have. I must have been seriously fucked up when I thought I liked those games. Not only that, but all the games that I was looking forward to on the Wii in the future are going to suck ass. Knowing that saves me a lot of money. Thanks CAG!

[quote name='maximumzero']There's alot of angry people in this thread for no apparent reason.

The way I look at it is that if you think that "teh Wii is Kiddie", doesn't have enough games, doesn't have the games you like, or whatever, just go on playing your 360 and PS3 and shut up about it.

I mean seriously, no amount of you bitching is going to change anything. Let those of us that enjoy the Wii enjoy it, dammit. No amount of convincing is going to make us think otherwise.[/QUOTE]

This.

I can see people who plan on reselling their Wiis being mad about price dropping, but everything else...yeesh!

An anonymous tipster sends us this picture of an alleged Target circular for the week of September 27th, joining Wal-Mart and Toys R Us on the $199.99 Wii price drop bandwagon.
Sure it's blurry and only a partial picture of the full page, but the information in this picture coincides with the information we've seen previously in rumored ads from both Wal-Mart and Toys R Us, sharing the exact date with the latter.

This latest ad also fuels our suspicions that Nintendo will make a big price drop announcement during the Tokyo Game Show next week, despite the fact that the company does not have an official presence at the show.

Via Kotaku.

500x_targetad.jpg

Cool. Looks like it might be universal.

cue the "Wii suxxors !!!1!!" and the "it's only worth $79 with $500 worth of extras bundled" posts... 3...2...1...

[quote name='crunchewy']I learn something new every day here at CAG. For example, I was wrong when I thought I liked the games I have for the Wii. Apparently all those games suck.

Not only that, but all the games that I was looking forward to on the Wii in the future are going to suck ass. Knowing that saves me a lot of money. Thanks CAG![/QUOTE]

Are these the games you are talking about?

917213bx.jpg
230205b.jpg
230160b.jpg

917087b.jpg
230362b.jpg
230352b.jpg

230516b.jpg
230322b.jpg
230185b.jpg

These games are better than Little Big Planet, MGS4, Halo 3 ODST, Gears of War 2... right?

Hey just because it's not your type of game doesn't mean they aren't good games!! Those are good games and way worth my $50! Yea....right...

[quote name='oasisboy']
These games are better than Little Big Planet, MGS4, Halo 3 ODST, Gears of War 2... right?[/QUOTE]

That has to be the most specious argument yet.

[quote name='JohnDoeHoe']Hey just because it's not your type of game doesn't mean they aren't good games!! Those are good games and way worth my $50! Yea....right...[/QUOTE]

Name ANY console/handheld and I bet you I can show you a list of turds. Doesn't mean that console isn't worth liking.

But I doubt this will change haters' minds.

I think 200 dollars is...ok...but not great for a wii.

Considering the lack of a range of third party games, it kind of knocks the value of the system.

Almost all the third party shovel-ware really holds the weight of the system down.

The Wii is starting to feel more like the ill-fated Phantom console where you download everything and everyone else can go F off.

Figures that I win a Wii in a raffle right when the price drop is announced. I already have one, and this announcement probably means I'll have to craiglist it off for less than 200
But I shouldn't complain about getting free stuff

Meh. I was never really interested in the Wii that much but I kinda want to play some of its games now (Zelda, Super Mario Galaxy and some others) plus old Gamecube and N64 games. I grew up on the Playstation so I never really played a Zelda game before, even Ocarina of Time, so I kinda want a Wii for that. Plus, when it gets to 199 it will definitely be cheaper used as well, maybe I can snag one for 130ish. Plus Wii games are cheaper than 360 and PS3 games, and I have both... hm... I just realized I have been using this post to basically weight the pro's and cons of me buying one... sorry hahhaa

Sure it's not the best system but there ARE some pretty decent games for it already, with more to come.

Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
Fatal Frame IV
ExciteTruck
Another Code: R
SSBB
The Conduit
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
Punch-Out
Cursed Mountain
Disaster: Day of Crisis
The Grinder
MadWorld
No More Heroes 1 & 2
New Super Mario Bros.
Fragile
Dead Space Extraction
Tornado Outbreak
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

[quote name='JohnDoeHoe']If anyone wants to sell their old Wii I'll give you 40, ah make it $50.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

Seriously. Why does the wii engender so many retards making pointless digs at the wii.

We get it, it's not for you. NOBODY GIVES A fuck. Go play your PS3 or Xbox 360 (both of which I own btw) and STFU already.

[quote name='d3adliner']Sure it's not the best system but there ARE some pretty decent games for it already, with more to come.

Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 - 2 doesnt even have a screenshot.
Fatal Frame IV - never coming to europe or america.
ExciteTruck - You're serious? This and ExciteBots are really boring racers with bad controls for the tricks.
Another Code: R - Hardly everyones cup of tea. Very niche.
SSBB - Fake fighter for children with 2fps online.
The Conduit - LOL
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles - Resident Evil! ON RAILS!
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles - See above.
Punch-Out - Its decent, but lost a lot of its charm. I didnt even end up finishing it.
Cursed Mountain - LOL
Disaster: Day of Crisis - Never coming to america
The Grinder - LOL
MadWorld - 4-5 hour repetitive game.
No More Heroes 1 & 2 - 1 is decent, 2 is still far away
New Super Mario Bros. - remake of the DS title, no online
Fragile - LOL
Dead Space Extraction - DEAD SPACE!!!! On rails!
Tornado Outbreak - ????
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - No action for extra casualness!
[/QUOTE]

Man i love these lists.

[quote name='confoosious']:roll:

Seriously. Why does the wii engender so many retards making pointless digs at the wii.

We get it, it's not for you. NOBODY GIVES A fuck. Go play your PS3 or Xbox 360 (both of which I own btw) and STFU already.[/QUOTE]

Like with any other system, the point of bashing is just to get attention and annoy others, BTW thanks for encouraging them. Yes I am also a hypocrite for not ignoring this thread....

[quote name='bluem00se']Meh. I was never really interested in the Wii that much but I kinda want to play some of its games now (Zelda, Super Mario Galaxy and some others) plus old Gamecube and N64 games. I grew up on the Playstation so I never really played a Zelda game before, even Ocarina of Time, so I kinda want a Wii for that.[/QUOTE]

No offense, but growing up with the playstation....either you're really young or you didn't grow up till you were in your teens =P so it's no wonder you don't have much love for a nintendo system. Half the reason I wanted a wii was to play nintendo games on it, caring for the controls and third party stuff came later.

[quote name='JohnDoeHoe']If anyone wants to sell their old Wii I'll give you 40, ah make it $50.[/QUOTE]

Funny, that's the same price your mom....

[quote name='blitz6speed']Man i love these lists.[/QUOTE]

Man i love these trolls who love these lists.

Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 - 2 doesnt even have a screenshot.

Huh? Have you even looked? LMAO! There's even video.

Fatal Frame IV - never coming to europe or america.
Point being? Ever heard of imports? Not to mention the English fan translation is near completion.

ExciteTruck - You're serious? This and ExciteBots are really boring racers with bad controls for the tricks.
Not anyone elses issue that you have issues controlling things.

Another Code: R - Hardly everyones cup of tea. Very niche.
Exactly why it was listed. Not sure how your comment is a bad thing.

SSBB - Fake fighter for children with 2fps online.
Fake? What? The online fps is not slow whatsoever unless either yourself or the person on the other end has a crap connection - or the combination of both. Sorry you're on dial-up.

The Conduit - LOL
And that's funny, why?

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles - Resident Evil! ON RAILS!
Your point is? If you don't care for rail shooters/light gun games - that's a personal issue. Doesn't make it a bad game.

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles - See above.
See above.

Punch-Out - Its decent, but lost a lot of its charm. I didnt even end up finishing it.
No comment

Cursed Mountain - LOL

More funnies? Have you even played it?

Disaster: Day of Crisis - Never coming to america
This means what to users outside of the US? Anyway...I play the PAL release with no problems on my NTSC Wii and tv.

The Grinder - LOL
More laughing with no explanation

MadWorld - 4-5 hour repetitive game.
Some camera issues, but repetitive? Maybe the commentators but that's about it. Very unique & great fun for the time it lasts.

No More Heroes 1 & 2 - 1 is decent, 2 is still far away
No comment

New Super Mario Bros. - remake of the DS title, no online
I'm okay with no online. More games need to ditch online play as it's getting boring as hell and completely repetitive. Cut the online multiplayer crap and give us longer single player campaigns!!! Not that this game has any sort of "campaign", I'm just saying online is unnecessary & over done.

Fragile - LOL

HAHAHAAAAAAAAAAHAHAA!!! ???????????????

Dead Space Extraction - DEAD SPACE!!!! On rails!
Mmmmmm. Another gun game!!!

Tornado Outbreak - ????
Okay. Maybe ya got me on this one. Looks fun to me though, lol.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - No action for extra casualness!
Since when was Silent Hill supposed to be an action game?

You have to admit that was a pretty bad list he made.

No mention of Mario Kart Wii, Zelda TP, Prime Trilogy, WSR

Metorid Other M is left off for some reason along with other big upcoming third party efforts like Monster Hunters 3 and Red Steel 2

We get it, it's not for you. NOBODY GIVES A fuck. Go play your PS3 or Xbox 360 (both of which I own btw) and STFU already.[/QUOTE]

To add to this, for those that continue to complain about having to use friend codes, why don't you take your head out of your rear and realize that they did it to protect the market they intended it for.... families and kids. This is not your hardcore gamer console. We get it, no Haloz lobbies for you.

I also own all three consoles.

To add to this, for those that continue to complain about having to use friend codes, why don't you take your head out of your rear and realize that they did it to protect the market they intended it for.... families and kids. This is not your hardcore gamer console. We get it, no Haloz lobbies for you.

I also own all three consoles and I feel safe that my kids are protected on the Wii enough that they can keep it in their room.

[quote name='oasisboy']Are these the games you are talking about?
230362b.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Yes. Spy Fox was created by the likes of Ron Gilbet, creator of games like Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle. The only difference is it's an easier adventure game designed for kids. It's still great.

[quote name='Caddywompus21']You have to admit that was a pretty bad list he made.

No mention of Mario Kart Wii, Zelda TP, Prime Trilogy, WSR

Metorid Other M is left off for some reason along with other big upcoming third party efforts like Monster Hunters 3 and Red Steel 2[/QUOTE]

Yeah, what a HORRIBLE list simply because a few more titles were not specifically noted. Yup, that makes it completely useless. :roll:

[quote name='WormFOODx'] This is not your hardcore gamer console. We get it, no Haloz lobbies for you.[/QUOTE]

Wow you're a hypocrite. BBAAAAWWWW STOP MAKING FUN OF MY CONSOLE AND GO PLAY YOUR HALO!!

:roll: Way to bitch when people generalize Wii owners but then turn around and do the same to everyone else.

[quote name='Distrato']Wow you're a hypocrite. BBAAAAWWWW STOP MAKING FUN OF MY CONSOLE AND GO PLAY YOUR HALO!!

:roll: Way to bitch when people generalize Wii owners but then turn around and do the same to everyone else.[/QUOTE]

You're right. I didn't generalize correctly. I reference Halo because it was the first console game to get online lobbies right. I should have just referenced everyone that plays on a 360 or PS3 that shouts the F-word in my ear every 5 minutes, tells me stuff about my mom I really don't want to hear, and thinks I'm gay because I threw a grenade the wrong way.

As for the Wii, I don't play it. I think it's a console that would do better to just focus on a market and try to survive. I let my younger kids play it because I know they won't be exposed to the elements you find on other consoles. My sister does the same. I think if you actually did some fact checking you would find that a majority of Wii owners or users are not the folks complaining about the codes. It makes me wonder why more people don't complain that the DS uses the same system too.

Also, thank you for saying that I was upset that people were dissing "my console". You generalize well too. I am just an advocate for a safer gaming environment for children.

[quote name='WormFOODx']To add to this, for those that continue to complain about having to use friend codes, why don't you take your head out of your rear and realize that they did it to protect the market they intended it for.... families and kids.[/QUOTE]

No one else uses friend codes (from the myriad of free web browser games to the giant franchises like WoW) and yet somehow children haven't been molested en masse. Nintendo is the one with their heads up their ass here. Always have been.

[quote name='TwistedBishop']No one else uses friend codes (from the myriad of free web browser games to the giant franchises like WoW) and yet somehow children haven't been molested en masse. Nintendo is the one with their heads up their ass here. Always have been.[/QUOTE]

Well I think a majority of parents are not aware of what their children are exposed to on the other mediums. I'm not going to turn this channel into this type of a debate. Maybe we can create a thread elsewhere to discuss.

[quote name='xycury']well... isn't that the same price as the 360 Arcade?

Wonder if they remodeled the Wii to use less parts, because they were easily making over $60 per console.[/QUOTE]

As manufacturing goes on longer, prices for various parts gets cheaper. Since the Wii is a massive hit, regardless of the opinion of the forumites, that means that it's probably a considerable amount cheaper than it was at launch.

Shakalaka. The question is whether I should pick it up B&M and pay tax thereby enabling me to enjoy the mountain of games I've been buying for it OR should I get it from Amazon and wait another week but pay no tax?

[quote name='cochesecochese']Shakalaka. The question is whether I should pick it up B&M and pay tax thereby enabling me to enjoy the mountain of games I've been buying for it OR should I get it from Amazon and wait another week but pay no tax?[/QUOTE]

Completely understand the dilemma, but I'd go with Amazon and try to be patient. :) Or you might consider dropping that saved $50 (plus $20 more) toward an Amazon Prime membership, thus getting the Wii pretty quick. Yeah, it's expensive, but once you have it you find yourself thinking that you'll probably renew it in a year. It's great to never have to worry about minimums and to get your stuff from amazon (be it games or not) so much quicker.

bread's done
Back