Wii Shop Channel Thread - 01/05: Kirby's Dream Land 3, Sandy Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd buy Super Mario All Stars on VC. It had Lost Levels too, right?

And no offense to lilboo (I know it's less your fault than it is Nintendo releasing shit on the US VC), but hail to Strell for taking this sinking ship thread over.

Well I downloaded Bit.Trip Beat this morning after clearing some space for it and I have to say it is a pretty cool game.

It is basically a trippy version of Pong (complete with sub 8-bit graphics) with a cool chiptune soundtrack.

You control your paddle by holding the wiimote sideways and tilting it forward and back which is probably why the game seems pretty hard. It isn't that the controls don't work, they actually work really well, its just that you have to be pretty damn precise in order to hit some of the objects just right.

If you miss enough blocks/lines/what have you, you end up going to a black and white version of the level where there is no music except for the sounds of the blocks hitting your paddle. If you do well enough in this negative world, you are sent back to the proper level. Keep doing poorly in the negative level and your game is over.

I don't really know how far I made it through the first level (it doesn't really have a level structure per se) but apparently there are only 3 songs to play through.

IGN notes that the game can be hard on your eyes and I would agree with them. I'm playing on a 32" CRT (letterboxed) and the amount of focus you need to keep track of the little pixels bouncing around can put a strain on your eyes. When you are finished playing you also get that Rockband/Guitar Hero affect where the walls look like they are moving. I guess that just adds to the trippyness of it all.

There is also co-op play up to 4 players. Just sync up however many remotes you want and start the game - you're now playing co-op.

Sorry for such a long write-up on a 600 point game, but I would definitely recommend it for someone who likes retro stuff, chiptunes, or just something different. You could spend 600 points on worse.

[quote name='pete5883']You can't just use the d-pad?[/quote]

Nope. The buttons and d-pad just play notes that you can improvise into the song (which pretty much makes the game impossible to play).

I don't think the d-pad or even an analog stick would work with this game at all. I mean it is basically Pong so the paddle-style controls make sense (and work).

Another thing to note is that the wiimote rumbles in sync with the music which can be a little troublesome as it can actually shake your hand enough to move the paddle on the screen. Of course you can turn rumble off on your wiimote to avoid this.

[quote name='Strell']INintendo hasn't made their emulator handle it, and refuses to update it in order to do so.

Which means - once again - all those nerds in their basements who already got that shit working ten years ago are somehow smarter than all of Nintendo's programmers.

It aint happening, for a slightly less bullshit reason than Earthbound, because they can hide behind the "technical difficult" barrier and call it an impermeable membrane.[/QUOTE]
It's more of a bullshit reason IMO. The legal BS around the samples in EB is a legit reason: It's potentially messy. But not updating the emulator that you package with each and every game to expand easily the amount of titles that would otherwise gather dust? Strell gonna buttrape you so much for that.

[quote name='Strell']What happened to your shift key, dothog?[/QUOTE]
i caps banged your mom so hard it fell off.

[quote name='spmahn']I wouldn't say the Lost Levels are better on the SNES, the two games are actually very different. The NES / FDS version is unreasonably difficult due to poor programming and numerous gameplay errors that never work out in your favor. The game also suffers from a physics engine that is wildly inconsistant from one moment to the next, making the game artifically challanging due to numerous factors such as these that are beyond the players control.

The SNES version is more polished, cleaning up the glitches and errors found in the original version. The physics engine has also been improved, so there's a lot less blind guessing when it comes to making certain jumps. The level design is also changed significantly to make the game less challanging. The original NES version features numerous areas that are almost impossible to navigate due to an endless barrage of unavoidable enemies that appear at random, and areas with jumps that are almost impossible to make (Castle 8-4 anybody?) The SNES version regulates the appearence of enemies on screen to make it a bit more predictable, and also redesigns most of the insanely difficult jumps to make them more manageable. The SNES version isn't better, but I would say it's more fun, as the original NES version makes me want to throw my controller through the TV once I reach World 8.[/quote]

That's essentially what I was getting at. Lost Levels on the SNES is challenging without feeling broken. Lost Levels on the NES is like Ninja Gaiden levels of difficulty at points , and I would still rather play gaiden than Lost Levels , but only because I'm a Masochist for death and mediocrisy.

[quote name='StarKnightX']I would still rather play gaiden than Lost Levels , but only because I'm a Masochist for death and mediocrisy.[/QUOTE]
I tried Lost Levels on SNES and did okay, but in the end the mediocrisiousness of it all got to me so I understand the point re: Gaiden v. LL.

And if you're really into SM play give me a call, I bring the pain.

[quote name='dothog']I tried Lost Levels on SNES and did okay, but in the end the mediocrisiousness of it all got to me so I understand the point re: Gaiden v. LL.

And if you're really into SM play give me a call, I bring the pain.[/quote]

:lol: Vagueness FTL. My post was poorly put together and only really got about half the message I intended across.

Big Ass off topic post incoming:

1. I didn't really intend to imply that Lost Levels or Gaiden were mediocre games. The "Death and Mediocrity" bit was not really meant to be all encompassing. Which leads to...

2. The "death" part of my previous statement seems fairly clear , but just in case , I'm often drawn to games with a punishingly high challenge level (old school platformers like Gaiden and Vertical Shooters). Doesn't matter if I suck at them and how much I lose , I still keep playing them. As for the "mediocrity" bit , that was more meant to mean that I'm also often drawn to games that the critics often label average or mediocre and have more fun with them then with the "OMG you have to play this game it'll change your life" type ones. I can't really think of a good example of a "average" game that I liked better than "AAA" game , but to make a point , my current gamefly list of games to rent includes
Spiderman : Web of Shadows , Infinite Undiscovery , 007 Quantum of Solace , Spiderman : Friend or Foe , Fracture , Moon , Matt Hazard , Onechambara (both of them) , SimAnimals , LotR : Conquest , The Bourne Conspiracy , Kung Fu Panda , and other "better" games.
Bottom line : being a masochist of death and mediocrity = deriving too much enjoyment from games that kick my ass and decidly average games.

3.Lastly , as far as SM is concerned , I don't really think that's my kind of thing however
when I get angry or stressed (while playing games) I do have tendency to punch myself in the arm or leg , or bite my hand. It releaves the stress/anger and replaces it with pain.:whistle2:#
I don't do it as much as I used to , but certain "special games" have eliscited this reaction from me much more than others.

And now it's time for me to be quiet. I think I've talked for long enough.:lol:

[quote name='MisterModest']This week, Europe got 1 VC game, Super Punch-Out!! - SNES/800 Points.[/QUOTE]

But it's a damn good one.

You'd think Nintendo would make more fanfare about it with the upcoming version, kind of like with Metroid, but whoever runs this riverboat doesn't know their way down the Mississippi and can't read the stars.

/overwhelmingly obscure reference to Mark Twain's life

[quote name='lilboo']Super Punch Out? Aww, congrats![/quote]
We're next I think. Prepare for it lilboo. Do your fancy rain dance.

Ok everyone. Say goodbye to this thread - the new one is located right over here. I am asking a mod to close this thread but leave it open, as well as to sticky the other one I have linked to.

I would like to thank Lilboo for all the work he has done over the past year, and perhaps longer. He took the initiative to update a thread that has seen its share of good and bad releases (more bad than good), the introduction of Wiiware, new channels, and the continued whining over the lamentable tragedy that is Earthbound. Yes, I was going to work Earthbound into this post somehow.

I think this is the sort of thing one gets burned out on as time goes on, almost no matter what the results are. Even with a perfect string of releases that made everyone happy each week, you'd likely develop ire and agony as time wore you down week after week after week.

After a few weeks where nothing has really been updated, and given some of the requests, it looked like there was still reason to update this. Originally, someone (I think soonersfan60?) suggested that perhaps a joint account be created, where a few people could create the new Wii Shop thread and had login credentials shared. In that way, they could pick up the slack for each other and make it a team effort. I had asked about doing this with some mods, but they all agreed that the problems that could arise from this were legitimate. After discussing this with them, I agreed.

This means that we will not (at least not yet) allow multiple people to edit the OP. I'll handle it for now, and perhaps in a year will pass it off to someone else, assuming we last that long and the Wii Shop actually has things on it worth tracking and talking about.

So, again, I would like to thank Lilboo for all his efforts in getting this all set up for me. All I really had to do was copy and paste a bunch of information and make sure the formatting was all correct (which I hope I have). I did update with releases since 1/05/09, which is when he stopped updating. I have also updated all of the block sizes for Wiiware releases to date, and have added a number of other small features, including a Block Size Range for VC titles (which I will need help on), a section of helpful links, a small Commodore 64 section, and added DLC for some titles I knew had them.

There is still much work to be done, and while I like the graphics currently used, I am planning on making my own, assuming they turn out well. I don't know who made the current ones, but thank you for doing so as well - I'm not sure where that thread was or is, but I know it was long ago and Lilboo had several entries. So, to whoever that was, thank you. I am planning on making a section devoted to listing who has dedicated time and effort to these threads, and will add that information when I can.

So again, let us all take a moment to thank Lilboo for all the tireless work he has done despite the myriad complaints and whining we're so prone to each and every Monday. I hope the Wii Shop sooner-rather-than-later begins to have worthwhile releases, but history tells me otherwise. Regardless, it has been nice to see such commitment from one user for the sake of so many of us.

I would really like to get him a small present as a show of appreciation. While a Wiiware/VC game makes sense, I imagine he doesn't have space and probably isn't too excited by what is currently out. I was thinking perhaps XBLA or PSN points (ironic as that might seem given the reason FOR the gift) - these might better suit him. So if there is anyone out there who might want to donate toward that, please let me know. We are CAGs so this might not exactly fly, but if so, please PM me and we will try to work something out. Additionally, Lilboo, please PM me at your convenience so we can discuss that as well.

Anyway, and once again, thank you Lilboo. I hope I can continue the tradition as best I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back