Wii Shop Channel Thread - 01/05: Kirby's Dream Land 3, Sandy Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week, Europe got two VC games, Clu Clu Land - NES/500 Points, and Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair - SEGA Genesis/800 Points.

I was going to try to finish LIT today so I could dive into Ogre Battle, but I think I'll have to go to a guide if I do. 117 is confusing the hell out of me.

lame

WII-KLY UPDATE: ONE WIIWARE GAME AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

March 9, 2009
Remember when Grandma used to mark your height on the wall every so often, just to see how fast you were growing? Well, if the Wii™ Shop Channel had its own growth chart, she'd be impressed at how the selection of great games keeps getting bigger and bigger each week. Take a look at the latest additions and you'll discover a pair of different yet equally engaging titles: a thrilled-packed WiiWare™ shooter and a classic SEGA adventure for the Virtual Console™. Thanks to this steady stream of new games, your own library ought to be growing up fast, too.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare

Gradius ReBirth (Konami, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Mild Fantasy Violence, 1,000 Wii Points): Blast your way through levels filled with alien spaceships and otherworldly creatures in this retro side-scrolling shooter. Pick your weapons carefully and upgrade them to create a devastating arsenal of space-aged weapons that will aid you in your challenging mission. Players can post their high scores to worldwide leader boards via Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection and see where they rank against all the other Gradius ReBirth players. Test your skills with Gradius ReBirth and see if you have what it takes to beat this action-packed arcade shooter.

Virtual Console

Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars™ (SEGA MASTER SYSTEM, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Comic Mischief, Crude Humor, 500 Wii Points): In this platformer from the 1980s, help Alex Kidd in a race against time to find the 12 missing zodiac signs hidden in six challenging levels-including toyland, the robot factory and an outer-space level-all complete with crazy enemies.

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

Alex Kidd = not lame. I've already owned that game three times (I keep giving them as gifts when I find other people who still have SMS) and I will probably get this version too.

[quote name='Josef']Seems to me like a pretty good week actually.[/QUOTE]

Compared to what we usually get, absolutely.

Compared to the potential that the VC has, oh god no.

I watched a couple Gradius videos. It looks and sounds nice but the price seems a bit steep given the fact that it seems to be a remake of the first Gradius. I mean, Mega Man 9 was archaic too but at least it was all new characters, weapons and the like.

I don't know, Gradius Rebirth looks pretty good. I'm a bit interested in that, at least. I like old-school shooters and $10 doesn't seem that bad, really, at least compared to the price of importing a decent PS2 shooter from Japan. Ouch.

That's a good point. I suppose I did drop ~60 on Karous for the Dreamcast back in 2006 and that turned out to be a huge mistake.

Don't get me wrong, Gradius is an "ok" shmup, but IMO, R-Type is better. With that said, after watching videos for it, if you want shmup action, there's better offers on the VC, with M.U.S.H.A and Lords of Thunder. Plus, Gley Lancer is coming in July as well. Gradius rebirth looks just as generic as the rest of the line, and $10 seems a bit steep.

Gradius Rebirth is not a remake of the first Gradius, but rather a "Remix" of different levels from previous Gradius games. I don't think it's lame, but yes you do have to be a fan of the genre and/or game series to have an interest in it.

I agree that the price is too high for what it is.

Yeah, I've started looking at the VC stuff, and Lords of Thunder interests me in part because many moons ago I had, for a while, a TurboDuo and Gate of Thunder, when those were new. I liked it, but I didn't keep the system and never got Lords of Thunder (I should have kept it, of course.) So, maybe I'll end up getting Lords of Thunder first, but I think Gradius Rebirth looks good too. I can see picking it up eventually.

[quote name='gunm']Gradius Rebirth is not a remake of the first Gradius, but rather a "Remix" of different levels from previous Gradius games. I don't think it's lame, but yes you do have to be a fan of the genre and/or game series to have an interest in it.

I agree that the price is too high for what it is.[/QUOTE]

I only watched part of the first level of Gradius Rebirth which mimicked the first level of Gradius pretty closely. I didn't want to spoil it for myself in case I decide to buy it. I'm more tempted now that I know it isn't just Gradius 1 with more colors.

EDIT - Lords of Thunder is possibly my favorite horizontal shmup of all time. Get it ASAP.

Alex Kidd was pretty cool for its time. Here's the front and back scans of my copy the game:

Alexkiddfront.jpg

alexkiddback.jpg

[quote name='Cambot']Alex Kidd was pretty cool for its time. Here's the front and back scans of my copy the game:
[/quote]
Wow - thank you for bringing back so many memories! All my SMS stuff is in storage right now so it's been a while since I saw the cover. I remember all my NES-owning friends coming over and complaining that the game wasn't like Mario, which made me feel superior. I'm not sure which I played more - this or Alex Kidd: High-Tech World, an even harder game to explain to friends. Reading the plot synopsis on Wikipedia makes me so happy:
Alex Kidd: High-Tech World
Alex Kidd is contacted by one of his friends, whom tells him a new arcade has opened in town. Alex has a map to its location, but it has been torn into eight pieces, and is needed to find the arcade before it closes at 5:00 sharp. He solves puzzles, answers questions, runs errands and does housework to find the pieces. After that, he must find another way to leave the house, as the front gate is shut. When Alex finds the map and leaves his house, ninjas appear, who attempt to kill him.

Is my memory bad or do the SMS Alex Kidd games control better than that early Genesis Alex Kidd game?

I can't play the Genesis version, that bastard floats all over the place. However, back in the day I remember playing some Alex Kidd game on my friend's SMS and having a blast with it.

I think I want Super Mario All Stars. I did enjoy the enhanced versions of Mario Bros 1-3 better. Just IMO.
I wonder if they'll actually put it out. :whistle2:k

[quote name='lilboo']I think I want Super Mario All Stars. I did enjoy the enhanced versions of Mario Bros 1-3 better. Just IMO.
I wonder if they'll actually put it out. :whistle2:k[/quote]

The only way I could see them releasing Mario All-Stars (or pretty much any other compilation game) is to make it equivalent in points to the individual titles on the VC. ie: 2000 points (I know this would be 100 points cheaper but 2100 points seems like an unlikely amount). The same with Ninja Gaiden Trilogy , 1500 points. If they didn't they would be cannibalizing sales of the NES titles , or getting complaints from people who bought the NES ones and feel ripped off.

Also , Lost Levels on All Stars is way better than the NES version.

WII-KLY UPDATE: ONE WIIWARE GAME AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

March 16, 2009

Old-school action is the main attraction at the Wii™ Shop Channel this week. With a wealth of underground buzz already surrounding it, a brand new WiiWare™ title uses vintage-looking graphics and 8-bit sounds to create a rhythm-based game that's loaded with retro cool. Find out if you have enough skill to create order from chaos in a game that is as mesmerizing as it is challenging. Meanwhile, the latest addition to the Virtual Console™ lineup brings a Commodore 64 classic to the Wii console, proving that fans of international sports events needn't wait until 2012 to get their track-and-field fix. Even if you're too young to remember the original days of 8-bit gaming, these awesome titles provide timeless kicks.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare

BIT.TRIP BEAT (Aksys Games, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 600 Wii Points): BIT.TRIP BEAT is a rhythm game that brings retro action into the present, letting you use the motion-sensing Wii Remote™ controller to bounce beats. Retro visuals, classic game play, four-player multiplayer and an 8-bit soundtrack will get you in the zone and rock your world. The challenges are mighty, but if you can stay cool as the difficulty increases, you'll discover the beginnings of the BIT.TRIP saga.

Virtual Console

Summer Games II™ (Commodore 64, 1-8 players, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): A thousand athletes. A hundred countries. Billions watching around the world as you enter the stadium, marching confidently among your nation's strongest, fastest and boldest young men and women. Your gaze sweeps the crowd as you realize the scope of your achievement. You are about to compete against the world's best athletes in a 3,000-year-old competition. This is the pinnacle of athletic achievement: the Summer Games. Summer Games II challenges your competitive skills with a series of athletic contests for one to eight players. Experience the excitement and realism of eight different events: cycling, equestrian, fencing, high jump, javelin, kayaking, rowing and triple jump. Practice each event to sharpen your skills, then choose from the 18 countries you can represent in the competition.

LOL .. ::yawn::

I had that game on Atari Lynx and I hated it. :rofl:

The sounds were pretty awesome, though.

EDIT: Just noticed one of the moves is named Axle Foley. :]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='botticus']I want whatever the Summer Games one was for NES. Good times.

Edit: California Games is what I need.
[/quote]
Yes, we definitely need California Games (I preferred the SMS version of the three I played). I wonder when the new version is coming out? I don't really want it, but maybe they will release one (or more) of the older versions on the VC to coincide with the release.
http://gonintendo.com/?p=18211
“(Concerning the new California Games) You’ll be able to buy it online, as an online purchase of course, on Wii and PS3, and you’ll be able to buy it as a retail product too on Wii and PlayStation 3.” - System 3 CEO Mark Cale

See, I was afraid that C64 games meant fewer Nintendo machine games.

Has someone ever made a list of all possible Nintendo games that could likely be released on VC (minus obvious licensing issues), then checked off what we've gotten so far? I'd love to see what percentage of possible games have acutally been released so far. (I'm sure it's astonishingly low.) And speaking of that, whatever happened to the "storage solution?" They were hot on that for awhile, but now talk of it has died down quite a bit. Maybe that's why they're doing C64 games, because I doubt they take up much space.

If Nintendo were smart, they'd release Wii 1.5 with more storage and Wii Motion Plus controllers in the box (with Wii Sports & Resort on the same disc). That would spur sales (and I'm sure upset some, but so be it).

Sadly the problem is that the Wii is still selling really, really, well. There is no reason for them to do anything to spur sales since there is no work involved. Their job is to send them out..that's it. In a business sense, that's pretty awesome.

However, as a consumer, this sucks.

[quote name='Strell']I'm going to take over updating this thing. Everyone ok with that?[/QUOTE]
so long as you bring yoshi's island to vc. this shit is ridikolus. get on the horn and make this happen zeiganstrell, otherwise it's gonna get raw like sushi in here. tell iwata i said that, that it's gonna get raw like sushi. kind of growl when you say it, too, to get the right effect. maybe slap him, too, or sodomize him somehow. you'll make it work.

I'd like to make that happen, but I can't.

Sooners up there was asking for a list of Nintendo titles that can't appear for various reasons, and the thought re: Yoshi's Island and other SuperFX chip enabled games is that the SNES emulator can't handle it.

Or, more precisely, Nintendo hasn't made their emulator handle it, and refuses to update it in order to do so.

Which means - once again - all those nerds in their basements who already got that shit working ten years ago are somehow smarter than all of Nintendo's programmers.

It aint happening, for a slightly less bullshit reason than Earthbound, because they can hide behind the "technical difficult" barrier and call it an impermeable membrane. Unlike your mom.

What happened to your shift key, dothog?

[quote name='Strell']I'm going to take over updating this thing. Everyone ok with that?[/quote]

I'm more than ok with it. It should have happened a long time ago.

OT: I think I am going to pick up Bit.Trip Beat. I have a ton of points and it looks interesting enough. I just have to see if I have enough space. Over 300 blocks for this thing!

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Only if its riled up with pseudo sexual innuendo.[/QUOTE]

Have you seen a Strell post before?

The guy has a list of innuendos as long as your... It's a pretty long list.

I'm no longer convinced that Nintendo uses the "dartboard" technique to select VC games.

I am now convinced, at least with regard to VC selections, that they hired a panel of select internet trolls to have a weekly discussion: what classic video game do you hate more than anything else on planet earth?

Coming next week: Santa's Christmas Chaos (C64)

[quote name='foltzie']Have you seen a Strell post before?

The guy has a list of innuendos as long as your... It's a pretty long list.[/QUOTE]

Essentially, my post was like saying, "Is the sky blue? Do chickens have lips?" I wouldn't expect anything less of Strell.

[quote name='lilboo']I think I want Super Mario All Stars. I did enjoy the enhanced versions of Mario Bros 1-3 better. Just IMO.
I wonder if they'll actually put it out. :whistle2:k[/quote]

No way, the original NES versions are better by a mile, the music in the SNES remakes is totally grating, although the graphics are very nice. I wouldn't mind Mario All-Stars on the VC, but they would definitely charge between 2000-3000 points for it.

[quote name='StarKnightX']The only way I could see them releasing Mario All-Stars (or pretty much any other compilation game) is to make it equivalent in points to the individual titles on the VC. ie: 2000 points (I know this would be 100 points cheaper but 2100 points seems like an unlikely amount). The same with Ninja Gaiden Trilogy , 1500 points. If they didn't they would be cannibalizing sales of the NES titles , or getting complaints from people who bought the NES ones and feel ripped off.

Also , Lost Levels on All Stars is way better than the NES version.[/quote]

I wouldn't say the Lost Levels are better on the SNES, the two games are actually very different. The NES / FDS version is unreasonably difficult due to poor programming and numerous gameplay errors that never work out in your favor. The game also suffers from a physics engine that is wildly inconsistant from one moment to the next, making the game artifically challanging due to numerous factors such as these that are beyond the players control.

The SNES version is more polished, cleaning up the glitches and errors found in the original version. The physics engine has also been improved, so there's a lot less blind guessing when it comes to making certain jumps. The level design is also changed significantly to make the game less challanging. The original NES version features numerous areas that are almost impossible to navigate due to an endless barrage of unavoidable enemies that appear at random, and areas with jumps that are almost impossible to make (Castle 8-4 anybody?) The SNES version regulates the appearence of enemies on screen to make it a bit more predictable, and also redesigns most of the insanely difficult jumps to make them more manageable. The SNES version isn't better, but I would say it's more fun, as the original NES version makes me want to throw my controller through the TV once I reach World 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back