Wii Shop Channel Thread - 01/05: Kirby's Dream Land 3, Sandy Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='E_G_Man']I would pay 500 points for M.U.L.E. and Impossible Mission.... maybe Space Taxi, but beyond that I don't think there are any other C64 games I am interested in.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget Archon, Elite, and Samurai Warrior: The Battles of Usagi Yojimbo. Of course, Archon and M.U.L.E. would likely require EA's ok, and they haven't been too supportive of VC (Or of their classics library for that matter).

[quote name='StarKnightX'](is there any other systems on the VC that 1 country has and nobody else?)[/QUOTE]
As it stands now, the MSX and SuperGrafx are the only ones that are only available in Japan. In the MSX's case, it's pretty safe to say that it has very little chance of leaving Japan, as its more well-known games* in the can be substituted in other ways. (Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Konami already translated the remakes of these games for Subsistence, so I'd imagine that they'd port those instead. Snatcher: They would be more likely to use the Sega CD version if that ever comes to the VC. That only leaves SD Snatcher, but I doubt that Konami will go through the trouble of translating it.

*Of course, the MSX VC offerings in Japan have been pretty barren for the past year; only 2 games released, and 1 has been stuck in TBA for a while now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can the Wii Browser do flash?
I tried watching South Park Studios on my PS3 but, the browser was like "lolol no". Can I do this on the Wii? :whistle2:s

[quote name='lilboo']Can the Wii Browser do flash?
I tried watching South Park Studios on my PS3 but, the browser was like "lolol no". Can I do this on the Wii? :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

Definitely not flash 10 and I'm thinking Flash 9 is out too. Adobe hasnt released the necessary info to incorporate the Flash engine into something like the Wii browser, rather requiring Flash to run as a plugin.

[quote name='mykevermin']500 points?

:rofl:

fuckin' VC.

I YouTube'd International Karate. I think I'd rather be kicked in the dick by an NFL Punter than play that game, let alone pay $5 for the privilege.[/QUOTE]

I know, it's nuts. At least this is one think the app store has right over any other dlc offer: an affordable price structure. I mean hell, there's people making thousands of dollars over $0.99 games. I've know we've complained about the pricing structure in the past, but I really feel ripped off now with VC titles (not including new WiiWare games).

[quote name='foltzie']Definitely not flash 10 and I'm thinking Flash 9 is out too. Adobe hasnt released the necessary info to incorporate the Flash engine into something like the Wii browser, rather requiring Flash to run as a plugin.[/QUOTE]

Even worse. Flash 7.

You can thank Adobe for not releasing their SDK for 8-10, so its not really Opera or Nintendo's fault in this case.

Hmm... two wii points cards sitting around for over a year and I have yet to pick any games to buy. That's sad isn't it?

Guess I'll have to rummage through the threads again.

[quote name='Hibiwa']Hmm... two wii points cards sitting around for over a year and I have yet to pick any games to buy. That's sad isn't it?

Guess I'll have to rummage through the threads again.[/QUOTE]

World of Goo. Go get it. Right now.

Japan has listed their VC games for March!
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/vc/lineup.html

Famicom:
Clu Clu Land
Takeshi no Chousenjou (Takeshi's Challenge, an infamous "crap game" from comedian Beat Takeshi. Game Center [CX] did their very first challenge* with this game)

Super Famicom:
Daikoukai Jidai II (New Horizons: Uncharted Waters 2)

Master System:
Sonic Chaos

Megadrive:
Dragon Slayer: Eiyuu Densetsu II (March 3rd, 700 Points)
The Super Shinobi (Revenge of Shinobi)

PC-Engine:
Space Invaders: The Original Game (March 3rd, 800 Points)

*Alt. link: http://www.veoh.com/collection/gamecentercx/watch/v1434248968K7BR3z

This week, Europe got 2 WiiWare games, Frat Party Games: Beer Toss, (aka Pong Toss in America) - 800 Points, and Snowboard Riot - 1000 Points.

[quote name='Cao Cao']
Famicom:
Takeshi no Chousenjou (Takeshi's Challenge, an infamous "crap game" from comedian Beat Takeshi. Game Center [CX] did their very first challenge* with this game)
[/quote]
Wow. Too bad there's no chance of this ever getting translated and imported. I've tried playing it on an emulator a few times but English would really be nice. I love games like this and the unfinished Penn & Teller game.

Ah, Ceodore, that name didn't get him beaten up in elementary school... middle school.... high school... college.... graduate school.... work...

In somewhat seriousness though, I saw the pics of it, day 1 download for me on Wii or 360.

[quote name='wii skiier']Wow. Too bad there's no chance of this ever getting translated and imported. I've tried playing it on an emulator a few times but English would really be nice. I love games like this and the unfinished Penn & Teller game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, as some folks at vc-reviews said, Takeshi no Chousenjou has that Plan 9 From Outer Space feel, in that it's so bad, it's totally worth seeing.

Anyways, my opinion is that the big release in VC Japan for this month is probably New Horizons: Uncharted Waters 2. I've only played a bit of it in the past, so I can't say anything definitive about it, but the simplest way to describe it is: "Sid Meier's Pirates!" if it was made by Koei in the RotTK-style. As such, expect a lot of micromanagement, turn-based gameplay, quite a bit of replay value, etc.

EDIT: Also, this has been floating around for a couple of days, but the "Night Game" for Wiiware that was listed on Nintendo's release schedule was revealed. It's being developed by Nicalis, developers of freeware indie platformer Knytt, along with the Wiiware port of Cave Story. Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7DQsurf7mI

Impossible Mission is available for the DS and is inexpensive. So if you haves ds you can play it now and it's portable. Plus it offers original mode plus two enhanced modes. I'd call that better then a VC version and it's available now.

I bought Startropics II yesterday because I loved 1 so much as a kid. What did they do?? Took out the tiles, and therefore tile puzzles. There isn't even a yo-yo.

[quote name='Cao Cao']
EDIT: Also, this has been floating around for a couple of days, but the "Night Game" for Wiiware that was listed on Nintendo's release schedule was revealed. It's being developed by Nicalis, developers of freeware indie platformer Knytt, along with the Wiiware port of Cave Story.[/QUOTE]

That is awesome stuff. I'm a sucker for any sort of realistic-ish physics-based game, so it looks right up my alley.

Where's my port of Incredible Machine?

[quote name='yeah-yeah']That is awesome stuff. I'm a sucker for any sort of realistic-ish physics-based game, so it looks right up my alley.

Where's my port of Incredible Machine?[/quote]
Am I doing it wrong, or do all Incredible Machine games before 3.0 run the puzzles at hyperactive hyperdrive?

[quote name='PR'] WII-KLY UPDATE: ONE WIIWARE GAME AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

March 2, 2009
In like a lamb and out like a lion, or vice-versa? Whether March finds you digging out from a late-winter blizzard or reeling in the spring thaw, the fun is both mild and wild at the Wii™ Shop Channel. Even the littlest lambs in your household can take part in a cool new family-friendly WiiWare™ game, while strategy-loving gamers will be roaring like lions as they battle evil foes in a classic Virtual Console™ title.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare™

Family & Friends Party
(Gammick Entertainment, 1-8 players, Rated E for Everyone, 1,000 Wii Points): Have fun with all your friends and family as you take on some very exciting challenges. This is an interactive board game for as many as eight players of all ages. The goal is to be the first to complete a series of challenges. During each turn, a challenge will be played by one or two players per team depending on the type of challenge you've been given. (Other players on your team can still help and support you). There are six different "Single" challenges that must be played cooperatively by members of the same team. Family & Friends Party can also suggest "Versus" challenges, which must be played competitively by all teams at the same time.

Virtual Console™

Ogre Battle™: The March of the Black Queen™
(Super NES™, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): It's up to you to defeat the Empire. It's been nearly a quarter of a century since the Zetegenian Empire first conquered the Kingdoms of Zenobia with a wrath of fear and bloodshed. You are the leader of a band of rebels who've fought to preserve the last shred of honor in this desperate time of treachery. Manage the ranks of a full-blown rebel army, complete with hundreds of characters, magic items, weapons and mystical Tarot cards. You must succeed in ousting the evil usurpers-your fate, and that of the entire population, depends on it.[/quote]

Ogre Battle!

Yay for Ogre Battle!

I'll get it today, I've been so close to buying the PSX version for ~50 that I can't pass up a version for much less.

I'd also buy that sequel to FF4 in a heartbeat. I wasn't a huge fan of FFIV DS but the original version is one of my top 2 fave Final Fantasies.

Ogre Battle is strategy RPG. I've only played the N64 game but I thought it was pretty good. Maybe I'll check out the SNES version.

[quote name='lilboo']Family & Friends Party!!!! :whee:[/QUOTE]

Despite going to press.nintendo.com to learn about Ogre Battle right before I read/posted here, I literally did not know what WiiWare game was coming out today.

I am so apathetic to the turds that Nintendo pushes out in the form of WiiWare that despite being on a webpage half-devoted to WiiWare releases, I completely forgot to check what the WW release was for today.

My instincts served me well. I realize that I said I'd download FF4-2 when it comes out but I now realize that I'll probably forget about it for the first few days because in my mind, it'll get lumped together with Beer Pong fest, Family Party, and Play This Shit You Retard 2.

[quote name='lilboo']Family & Friends Party!!!![/quote]
The annoying thing is that (if done well) a game like this should easily be able to topple Mario Party and all it's slow, cutesy annoyances. A fast-paced, streamlined board/party game could work really well; something tells me this is not that game.
[quote name='lilboo']
But seriously, what's up with Ogre Battle? Never played it. What kind of game is it?[/quote]
I've always wondered too. Is it like Shining Force II?

[quote name='wii skiier']I've always wondered too. Is it like Shining Force II?[/quote]

Dunno, I never played Shining Force II. I think it is more like Fire Emblem with real time movement and it has has group battles. I think there is a reputation meter too.

I recall if you defeat an enemy's troop leader than the rest of the unit retreat back to base.

[quote name='hero101']Dunno, I never played Shining Force II. I think it is more like Fire Emblem with real time movement and it has has group battles. I think there is a reputation meter too.

I recall if you defeat an enemy's troop leader than the rest of the unit retreat back to base.[/quote]
I'm glad you mentioned the real-time movement - I'm not usually up for that so I might hold off. Everything else about it sounds good though.

[quote name='wii skiier']I'm glad you mentioned the real-time movement - I'm not usually up for that so I might hold off. Everything else about it sounds good though.[/quote]
If I'm not mistaken, you can set up movement and stuff while it's paused.

Trying to find a good Youtube video that includes both map movement and battle is a pain in the ass. Skip to 2:30 or so, this is the first map.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmNEMKPWBuo&feature=related

It obviously gets more complex as you deploy more (up to 9?) units, and have enemy units gunning for your base as well.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']C64 games should be 250 points or under. 5 bucks {is a pop in the nuts}[/QUOTE]

Fixed. :)
[quote name='Halo05']... it'll get lumped together with Beer Pong fest, Family Party, and Play This Shit You Retard 2.[/QUOTE]

If a developer actually had the guts to name a game something like that, it might actually be pretty good.

If I had more room on my Wii, I would purchase Ogre Battle and a lot of other things. I would probably even re-purchase things that I still own physical copies of. But no way I'm deleting anything else off of my Wii. The day you can play games off of SD cards (or preferably USB HDDs), I'm going to download 1000's of points worth of stuff. I hope that happens for a lot of people so that Nintendo can see what kind of retarded whores they have been and how they have kept people from giving them money.

[quote name='lilboo']But seriously, what's up with Ogre Battle? Never played it. What kind of game is it?[/quote]

[quote name='wii skiier']I've always wondered too. Is it like Shining Force II?[/quote]

[quote name='hero101']Dunno, I never played Shining Force II. I think it is more like Fire Emblem with real time movement and it has has group battles. I think there is a reputation meter too.

I recall if you defeat an enemy's troop leader than the rest of the unit retreat back to base.[/quote]

[quote name='wii skiier']I'm glad you mentioned the real-time movement - I'm not usually up for that so I might hold off. Everything else about it sounds good though.[/quote]

For those asking about Orge Battle , yes it is a real time strategy game , but your squads fight in battle scenes more like a traditional RPG. You have no control over how your party fights in the battles however (exception being if you choose to activate a tarot card spell). Instead your squads fight based off of what classes they are and whether they are in the front or back row of the unit.
Example1:A knight in the front row will attack an enemy 3 times per battle. In the back he will only attack twice.
Example2:A cleric in the front row will attack the enemy once. In the back he will heal one of your party members twice.

Thus the key to the game is class and squad management. Having good classes and making sure those classes work well together in a squad make a big difference between victory and defeat.

The game is tough , no question about that. Even if you read a lot of guides and tips on how to play better , it makes the game no less challenging. One of the only helpful tricks I can remember (I know it worked in the PS1 version , can't remember if it worked in the SNES one) is that you CAN pause the game and issue commands to your squads while paused. They won't do anything till you unpause the game of course , but at least it gives you some ability to plan out a strategy.

As for me , even though I already own the PS1 version , I'll still probably download this version , if only because 1) I really like Ogre Battle and I've still never beaten the game 2)Conveince factor 3)Support the game and give Squenix/Quest insentive to bring Ogre Battle 64 and Tactics Ogre over.

Was the PS1 version enhanced in any way over the original release (that must leave quite a bit of space left over on the disc), or am I better off buying the Virtual Console version?

[quote name='Renaissance 2K']Was the PS1 version enhanced in any way over the original release (that must leave quite a bit of space left over on the disc), or am I better off buying the Virtual Console version?[/quote]

To my knowledge , the only real change I can remember at all between the two is that the units on the map move much faster in the PS1 version than in the SNES version. Which is both a blessing and a curse. The unit speed in the SNES version is pretty slow , which means units take forever to get anywhere. The upside to slow units though was more time to plan moves. In the PS1 version because of the speed of movement you basically have to pause the game , issue unit commands , then let them go to work. But they do get to where they need to go quicker.

Other than that I don't think there was really any other changes to the game , and wikipedia doesn't mention anything either. If anyone else knows better than me though hopefully they will speak up.

I reckon the soundtrack was remixed and/or orchestrated...that was like the order of the day for PS1 ports...that and "ALL NEW TOTALLY AWESOME CG CUTSCENES!!!11!":lol:

[quote name='StarKnightX']To my knowledge , the only real change I can remember at all between the two is that the units on the map move much faster in the PS1 version than in the SNES version. Which is both a blessing and a curse. The unit speed in the SNES version is pretty slow , which means units take forever to get anywhere. The upside to slow units though was more time to plan moves. In the PS1 version because of the speed of movement you basically have to pause the game , issue unit commands , then let them go to work. But they do get to where they need to go quicker.

Other than that I don't think there was really any other changes to the game , and wikipedia doesn't mention anything either. If anyone else knows better than me though hopefully they will speak up.[/quote]
Someone on GAF mentioned it let you save mid-battle, but that difference is somewhat mitigated in this case with VC save states. Other than that, probably the usual PS1 loading times.

Wow, I hate that I didn't have power til jsut recently and lost it yesterday at 3 pmish, that woulda been a soon as I woke up purchase.

As for the WiiWare game, Family and Friends Party, if given a week, I don't think I could have come up with a more generic title and description for a piece of horsecrap shovelware than that.

As for Ogre Battle, I don't know how far I'll get, but I'll download it, at least, to cast my dollar vote - not as if Nintendo or the publishers listen...

[quote name='Cambot']As for the WiiWare game, Family and Friends Party, if given a week, I don't think I could have come up with a more generic title and description for a piece of horsecrap shovelware than that.[/QUOTE]

How about

'Flash Game that Uses a Wiimote'

or

'The Same Game You Bought Three Times Before, but with Different Graphics'

maybe

'Yes, This Douchey Announcer is the Game's Emcee'
family-friends-party-20090302111257760.jpg

or perhaps

'No, We Don't Really Think That You'd Shell Out Ten Bucks for this Piece of Horse Drivel, But We're Giving It a Shot Anyway'

[quote name='yeah-yeah']
'Yes, This Douchey Announcer is the Game's Emcee'
family-friends-party-20090302111257760.jpg

[/quote]
I'm actually slightly more interested now that I see the game boldly incorporates double amputees with robot diapers. They are a vastly under-represented minority in gaming and it pleases me to see them portrayed in a position of power.

Ogre Battle differences - Few if any. I actually owned both at one point and enjoyed them plenty. Saving in the PSX version was a huge blessing because later battles can take over two hours (maybe 3, the game gets intense) but with being able to save a state in SNES games, the problem is solved. Music-wise, I don't remember any major differences. The PSX version might've had slightly enhanced magic effects during battles but if it did, it was very subtle. Like I said, I had been in the market for a complete, under $50, PSX copy but now I'm not going to worry about it.

[quote name='Cao Cao']A new Harvest Moon game has been announced for WiiWare in Japan:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/959/959139p1.html
This time, you're running a farm and a store.[/quote]

Anytime they decide to do something to try and freshen the series up it raises my hopes but I think the best thing for the series at this point is either shelve it for a while and bring it back when people miss it/actually care about it again , or try to re-do the series from scratch. It just seems like Harvest Moon has gotten to the point where it just isn't relevant anymore. Maybe its just me. :/

On a completely unrelated note (to harvest moon and to the shop channel in general) does anyone know if there is any site that shows what the most played online games for the wii/ds/psp are (like how the 360 and PS3 have the top 5/10 most played online games list)? I would think making a list for those systems would be hard if not impossible given how they all handle online play , but I was curious none the less. I tried google but didn't really get back anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back