Wii Shop Channel Thread - 01/05: Kirby's Dream Land 3, Sandy Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I could. The qualification is more or less "get a mod to do it." I'm sure if we pursued this, I could get io or shrike or even a few others to help on that regard.

I'm held back by a few things, primarily that I don't want to usurp someone else. But if they willingly agree they aren't going to go anything, why do they continue to hold onto it?

What we really need is a way for an OP to be edited by a select few people, who are granted access to it under certain conditions that a mod has to put in place. Then whoever shows up first on Monday or whatever gets to have at it.

[quote name='Strell']why do they continue to hold onto it?[/QUOTE]

I had the same frustration in the Animal Crossing thread. Comically the OP there who railed about the game and even held an event in which he was going to have people come to destroy his town before he sold the game, and perhaps then his Wii, was worried about who would take over the thread, worried that he couldn't trust them with it. Who was it that he was worried would take over the thread? Someone who didn't like the game anymore, was planning to destroy his town, sell the game and perhaps even their Wii? Cough.

Yeah. Someone needs to tell Zen Davis he needs to give up ownership of the AC thread. I haven't been paying attention to it since I haven't been playing AC (something I'm going to pick back up full force when I'm through with Fallout 3), but I knew he cycled between wanting to sell the game and not. Then I saw some debacle about hacked items and how that could hurt other peoples' games due to the restriction in slots for DLC.

At any rate, that's a situation where the OP needs to be entirely deposed. I don't feel the same here with lilboo for....well for different reasons.

We really do need a way for some posts to be semi-editable by certain qualified individuals. Hell, I need to update the FAQ thread, but I know it's going to be a chore, and really it would be nice to think I had the option of allowing others to do so.

At any rate, for the moment, we'll let this stand. Lilboo if you really don't want to relinquish it, that's fine. But at least change the current title to "Wii Shop Channel" or something else generic, and for the time being we'll live with that.

Maybe we can ask John the Super Programmer if such functionality can be added to CAG in the future, or perhaps even on a stickied-thread-by-stickied-thread basis.

[quote name='lilboo']I would love for that to happen! Have more then 1 person being able to update it![/quote]

There's a very simple solution to that. Create a new joint username account and share the password. The new user can be, for example, STRELL-BOO and you both share the password, and give it out to other trusted members who you would allow to edit the thread. This could be done for every joint thread. There won't be that many of them so there won't be that many stray accounts.

Only since lilboo doesn't seem to want to do it anymore...

and LIL-STRELL didn't seem as obvious that you weren't referring to something untoward...

[quote name='Strell']
What we really need is a way for an OP to be edited by a select few people, who are granted access to it under certain conditions that a mod has to put in place. Then whoever shows up first on Monday or whatever gets to have at it.[/quote]I think I've posted that once or twice in the "what do you want CAG to do for 200x?" threads (basically allow the OP to delegate access to a particular post), but alas. Might just be too much of an administrative pain, don't know enough about vBulletin to say.

[quote name='botticus']I think I've posted that once or twice in the "what do you want CAG to do for 200x?" threads (basically allow the OP to delegate access to a particular post), but alas. Might just be too much of an administrative pain, don't know enough about vBulletin to say.[/quote]
SlickDeals has the WikiPost, which can be very useful. Wouldn't help with the thread title in this case, but I wonder if that's a possibility for CAG.

we could do with a system like over at FatWallet where below the OP is a community editable post that 'anyone' can update.. sorta like how anyone can edit tags.

heck yeah LIT. been waiting on that one. Heck i might even buy it. of course this means I have to plug my Wii back in. Every time my nephews come over they move my Wii and I'm very lazy to hook it back up since I game 1,2 games at a time and atm I'm doing Fallout and Burnout.

[quote name='Wolfkin']we could do with a system like over at FatWallet where below the OP is a community editable post that 'anyone' can update.. sorta like how anyone can edit tags.
[/QUOTE]

That's kinda asking for trouble though. Like it or not, there's got to be a screen that keeps out the people who are just going to go in and screw it up for their own personal amusement.

I imagine this is how a wikipost works, unless that has a built in screen already.

Also: utopianmachine has the best AC town name ever, and that is really all that matters right now.

Any impressions on Lit? It looks like a pretty decent WW title and I'm kinda interested after watching the trailer.

Or perhaps the OP can assign other people who can edit it, either way this really should be CAG's next big feature...

LIT looks interesting.

Zen Davis is banned Strell, so I'd imagine that contacting him to change the thread would prove quite diffucult. However, I do endorse Strell's usurping of the VC thread.

Lit seems like it could be pretty cool.

well the FW system works because the topics aren't as persistent as they are here. it's one thing to do it on a single deal but on a game discussion no. but I still think it's a valid model with some changes. it does need a sort of screen so maybe only the OP's picks or maybe only CAGversary level poster or whatever some sort of limiter.

[quote name='botticus']Play's review is all I've seen: http://playmagazine.com/index.php?fuseaction=SiteMain.showGamePage&Game_ID=967

I went ahead and queried John about the post editing in the Beta thread just to see if it's possible.[/quote]

Yeah, I already saw that review on GAF, I'm probably going to bite on this one, not till tomorrow though after my test.

And for people that care, and to put into the OP (looking at you Lilboo, erm...or whoever is taking the reigns of this thread) but LIT is 232 blocks.

Played through the first boss in LIT, fun game. If you're not interested in scanning the room pretty thoroughly with your flashlight before you start you'll run into a lot of trial-and-error, but even so the levels are pretty short so it's not too frustrating having to redo a couple minutes. Boss battle was really creative too.

Quick and stupid question , isn't Wolf of the Battlefield : MERCS , made by Capcom and related to the Commandos series? I only ask because didn't capcom make Wolf of the Battlefield : Commando 3 for the XBLA/PSN last year?

It is. Mercs is the sequel to Commando although it was never emphasized in the US back in the day. In fact, I don't remember ever hearing the "Wolf of the Battlefield" subtitle attached to Mercs until yesterday.

[quote name='botticus']Played through the first boss in LIT, fun game. If you're not interested in scanning the room pretty thoroughly with your flashlight before you start you'll run into a lot of trial-and-error, but even so the levels are pretty short so it's not too frustrating having to redo a couple minutes. Boss battle was really creative too.[/QUOTE]

I had a similar first impression, I'm enjoying the game and some of the touches, while small, are rather clever.

ONE WIIWARE GAME AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED (AND ONE SURPRISE COMING) TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Feb. 16, 2009

Outer space meets inner space at the Wii™ Shop Channel this Presidents Day. A new WiiWare™ title will have you soaring across the astral plane, while a vintage NES™ shooter for the Virtual Console™ invites you to battle your way through the innards of an alien creature. Choose a hot new WiiWare game or a Gradius spin-off. It’s what the presidents would have wanted.

In other news, the Wii-kly Update has a fun surprise coming soon for all our fans. We can't tell you the secret just yet but maybe we’ll offer you some hidden clues. From AZ to NC, if you’re a fan, your applause could rattle your walls, windows, door. You might enjoy this news whether you live in a brick house or Vanderbilt dorm. Even people living along Route 286 in rural Pennsylvania ought to be excited. It’ll feel like a bunch of birthday greetings and, really, who could ask for more? But that's about all we can say for now, so be sure to check future Wii-kly Updates.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week’s new games are:

WiiWare

Evasive Space™ (Yukes Company of America, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone – Mild Fantasy Violence, 1,000 Wii Points): Launch a one-of-a-kind mission to rescue the stars. The universe is going dark, and it’s up to you, Konki the Stellar Guardian, to set things right. Dr. Dark Matter and his roving band of space thieves have stolen many of the Constellation Stones that make up the heavens. It's time to suit up, power up, recover the Stones and once again bring light to the night sky. Using the Wii Remote™ controller's unique pointer capabilities, simply point and thrust Konki through 20 dangerous time- and collection-based missions in the harshest of environments. Navigate through narrow, mazelike astral caves riddled with space worms, steam pipes and mining drills. Explore vast space stations while avoiding turret fire, mines and huge crushing gears. Weave through cluttered asteroid fields and gaseous planetary rings. Evade the hazards, pick up precious items and ship upgrades, and save the Constellation Stones before the night sky is lost forever.

Virtual Console

Life Force (NES, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone – Mild Fantasy Violence, 500 Wii Points): This classic shooter, originally ported to the NES in August 1988, is a spin-off of the seminal Gradius series. Pilot the Vic Viper through six stages of intense action, alternating between horizontally and vertically scrolling environments, and take on wave after wave of enemies. Destroy particular enemies throughout the game (which takes place within the body of an enormous alien) to release power-up capsules and equip your ship with your choice of more powerful weapons, extra speed and shields. Utilize the power-ups carefully, though, as a fearsome guardian lurks at the end of each stage and won't be easily defeated. You can go it alone or bring along a friend to take on the challenge simultaneously. Do you have what it takes to save your planet?

....So there's a surprise coming? Does it mean to the updates?
To be honest the only GAME surprise would be Earthbound. Maybe something else?

Any other surprise would be an HDD.

Either way, let's not get too excited. :(

Looks like NeoGaf figured it out:

[quote name='joedick']
The song Brick House is by the Commodores.
[/quote]

[quote name='Capndrake']
Yeah, I think it's C64 games.

Commodore is a place in Pennsylvania, and the founder of Vanderbilt University was Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt.
[/quote]

Sigh. No one cares about those.

This is assuming they are right, but I'd like to think something common between all the "clues" is the best answer, and that seems to be it.

[quote name='Strell']
This is assuming they are right, but I'd like to think something common between all the "clues" is the best answer, and that seems to be it.[/QUOTE]

They are indeed right about the Commodore connections.

Instead of giving games people care about and would actually buy, let's put some schlock no one cared about when it was out up and watch it languish.

A nut-less monkey could do this job anymore.

The "surprise" sounds like NCAA Basketball. Makes sense with the NC and AZ references, plus March Madness is just around the corner (which goes with the rattling clues). Nintendo owns the rights to it, so just need to clear the college rights or put up generic stuff. It would only surprise me because it's such a mundane choice...

[quote name='tiredfornow']http://starmen.net/ebvc/

:'[[/quote]
If there was a legal issue with EarthBound, (am I so fucking retarded I didn't notice any parody/rip offs of other music even though I'm halfway through the game?) why hasn't Nintendo been sued for it? The companies have had almost 15 years.

From Starmen.net and elsewhere probably...

AZ to NC = Route 64
Brick House = song by the Commodores
Pennsylvania = Commodore, Pennsylvania
Vanderbilt = Commodore Vanderbilt

I find it interesting that there's a ton of games on the VC list that most people have not heard of, yet, a game that people want we don't get.

:lol: Nintendo :(

If they wanted to "surprise" us with a new system on the VC.. give us Sega CD.. or maybe even Saturn if that was possible..

Man, I didn't know Earthbound was full of music references either. I only just found out Michael Jackson worked on Sonic 3's music (see spoiler). I mean I imagine the Runaway 5 is the culprit here - I'll have to research all of this.

[Edit: Embedding is disabled, and since I still can't hotlink to a Youtube video without CAG's code immediately turning it into a movie, there's little else I can do with the above. Sorry.]

I think the bigger thing to consider is if NoA wanted the game out "only with changes," then I can only imagine the clusterfuck that would have been. Probably ripping out music in favor of some trashy synth techno bullshit, which would be removing a part of the entire game's soul. In that regard, I have to applaud NoJ for refusing to allow that to happen.

There's a side note of fuck the RIAA here, but that should more or less be understood in every post on the internets.

I guess it's time to consider this the final nail in the coffin. I've known the hope was slim to none for a while now, but this really seems to hit it home into "completely dead" territory.

A real fucking shame. Whoever is running the show needs to be deposed, and someone with a damn clue needs to be installed, because this is just ridiculous.

foltzie: NeoGaf already got the Commodore 64 references. Check back a page in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Strell']

foltzie: NeoGaf already got the Commodore 64 references. Check back a page in this thread.[/QUOTE]

I can't tears have shorted out the back buttons.

Dont ask how... they just have...

Meh. I can't type it enough.

I might get Lifeforce just to remind Konami and/or Nintendo that I want Rondo of Blood to come out in the US.

C64 games are welcome if it somehow bumps us up over one VC release a week. It won't and I'll resume typing "meh".

[quote name='lilboo']But is it really a big surprise? :whistle2:s[/quote]

Not really because:
1. Europe has been getting C64 games for a while so it seemed inevitable that we would get them as well (is there any other systems on the VC that 1 country has and nobody else?)
2. Nobody here really cares about the C64

I care , if only because I welcome more system variety into the VC , but at the same time I probably won't end up caring that much about any of the games so ehhh.

Of course nothing has been confirmed yet, but I hate when they do these things. "SURPRISE" and it's not really a big deal. When they added NeoGeo they didn't make a big deal about it..and I'm sure more people care about the NG more then a C64.

I think I would have been surprised if the surprise was actually good--regardless of whatever it was. We'll see, though.

I only welcome more systems if it means we get more than 1 VC game each week. Otherwise, it will just water down the pool and take even longer for some of the much-anticipated games to appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back