Wii Shop Channel Thread - 01/05: Kirby's Dream Land 3, Sandy Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol:?

WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO WIIWARE GAMES AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Jan. 19, 2009

Wii™ owners know all about the power of motion, and this week's additions to the Wii Shop Channel deliver some cool new reasons to keep on moving. Race, jump and skid in a high-powered hot rod. Slide, shoot and score in a glide hockey showdown. Soar, swoop and battle in a futuristic armored fighter. With fun, invigorating games like these, the only thing you won't be able to do is sit still.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare™

High Voltage Hot Rod Show™ (High Voltage Software, Inc., 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 1,000 Wii Points): High Voltage Hot Rod Show is a slick and fast-paced racer that challenges up to four players to tear up the track on a variety of off-road courses, mastering death-defying stunts and building enough Boost to stomp the competition. Players must learn to tame their monster Hot Rods by nailing ramps, power slides, bunny hops and tricks while avoiding mud pits and smashing through Boost Rings to fill their Boost Meters. Players can compete against seven CPU opponents in Championship mode or set their best lap times in the time trials. Top times can be uploaded to an online scoreboard via Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection* and shared with players around the world. Multiplayer supports up to four players in split-screen mode, giving each player a wide range of controller choices. (Router and broadband access required for online play. For more information, go to www.Nintendo.com.)

Family Glide Hockey (Aksys Games, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): Daddy, Mommy, Sarah and Billy are back for more family fun, and this time it's glide hockey. Hone your skills in a gymnasium, a forest park, a beach, an amusement park, even the freezing Arctic. Family Glide Hockey sports appealing cel-shaded graphics and endearing music to go with its friendly, competitive match-ups. Choose between single-player mode, versus mode (up to four players can play), or challenge your skill in engaging minigames such as Glide Hockey Brawl, Glide Hockey Drill and Glide Hockey Tracer.

Virtual Console™

MUSHA™ (SEGA GENESIS, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone—Mild Fantasy Violence, 800 Wii Points): MUSHA is a SEGA GENESIS game that shooter fans favor for its intense and exciting gameplay. Players must control Terri, a girl who pilots a MUSHA (Metallic Uniframe Super Hybrid Armor). Terri's goal is to eliminate Dire 51, an Intellicomputer that has gone out of control and is planning an offensive attack upon humanity. Use special weapons like the Vanishing Buster, Blazing Beam and Defensive Detonator, along with offensive options that allow six types of formation fire. Battle through seven exhilarating levels to finally reach and destroy Dire 51 once and for all.

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

I'm glad I sold that Nintendo Wii but I will try to post these weekly press releases when I can.

Edit: Lilboo beat me to it, lol

[quote name='lilboo']I think so!! :wall:

And Wolfkin, 2gb would be more then enough. I have a 2gb SD card (with at least 500 pictures..several that are dirty :drool:) and I have MOST of my WiiWare/VC games on that card and i STILL have like 11,000 blocks left.[/QUOTE]

Photo Party with Liboo on xbox 360!

[quote name='lilboo']:lol:?[/QUOTE]

MUSHA is really rare, apparently, and supposed to be a good shooter. It might be worth checking out, but I'm still too addicted to Animal Crossing to bother. :lol:

Just watched some gameplay videos of Musha, I'll probably pick that up since I've had a stupid large amount of Wii points sitting on my Wii since like, october.

I love the Okiraku series, but this Air Hockey one isn't that fun. The controls are too slow for such a fast-paced game, and the gimmicky motion control is annoying.

Dang, MUSHA! This would be a must buy for me--but I have to see if I have enough space for it. >_<

If do, though, it's as good as purchased.

lulz at what might happen to the ebay prices on that game, though. :p

I already have Musha. It's a cool game which I recommend.

Here's a scan of the cover:

MushaFront.jpg

MushaBackRS.jpg

Wow, I'm just now reading that this game is rare and goes for over $100.00, complete. I guess it must be worth DL'ing. I'll have to find one of my Genesis systems and play this tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='vlv723']I'm glad I sold that Nintendo Wii but I will try to post these weekly press releases when I can.

Edit: Lilboo beat me to it, lol[/QUOTE]

Jesus christ, you had to have $400+ worth of VC titles alone. That alone would have been worth keeping the damn thing around.

[quote name='Strell']Jesus christ, you had to have $400+ worth of VC titles alone. That alone would have been worth keeping the damn thing around.[/QUOTE]

After not using the Wii for months, I totally forgot about those games. However, if I end up buying a Wii once again (it CAN happen), then those games are still bind on my account.

[quote name='vlv723']After not using the Wii for months, I totally forgot about those games. However, if I end up buying a Wii once again (it CAN happen), then those games are still bind on my account.[/QUOTE]

Nope.

# Points have no monetary value and cannot be redeemed for cash. All points and software downloads are only for use on a single Wii console and are non-refundable and non-transfereable.

You can get your stuff back if you send your Wii in to Nintendo to get it repaired, but that's about it.

[quote name='jer7583']It's pretty clear at this point that Nintendo could not possibly give a fuck less about a storage solution and just will continue making money as the ants under their feet cry, "we need space to buy VC games!"

I heart Nintendo, but it has to be one of the most absurd positions for any company to be in, for their customers to be crying out to buy an accessory that will allow them to buy more products from them, and a company flat-out IGNORES their customers.

This is such a problem that users are modding the system to have more storage. It's the most ridiculous thing.[/quote]

Seeing as how fast it now is to transfer games to the SD card after the latest firmware updates (300 block games used to be 5+ minutes, now they're down to 1-2 minutes) I wouldn't be surprised if their storage solution of downloading games directly to the SD card that's coming soon will include being able to hot swap games on the SD card into memory like what's being done with Guitar Hero and Rock Band DLC.

[quote name='pete5883']You know, I don't think they are.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']
Nope.

You can get your stuff back if you send your Wii in to Nintendo to get it repaired, but that's about it.[/QUOTE]
Wonderful. Their "DRM" is worse than Microsoft or Sony IMO. At least the Wii is with family so I can take it back anytime if I want to...just have to pay the money back what my brother paid it for.

Well, if you sold the Wii with the games on it, and you knew they were on it, you shouldn't feel shafted in the slightest about not being able to download them a second time to a second Wii. You sold the Wii with those games on it and the person that bought the Wii is enjoying those games right now. They are probably quite pleased to have gotten a good deal. Those games are gone. You should have priced the Wii accordingly. You should have included the cost of those games in the price of the Wii, or some portion of the cost since, of course, you can't likely find a buyer who likes all those games.

However, Nintendo *should* have a mechanism in place that would allow you to remove and *deauthorize* a game or games from one Wii and then, perhaps at a much later date, download and install them again on another Wii. That they don't allow you to do that, that *is* Nintendo's fault. They dropped the ball.

Also they should have a similar mechanism in place that lets you move save files from Wii to Wii. Supposedly the reason so many save files are locked is due to friend codes. OK, fine. So make it so you have to "move" the save files, as opposed to copying. You start a process where you move your save to an SD card or perhaps even to Nintendo WiFi, and it gets removed from your Wii, then when you get to another Wii you move the save file from the SD card (or from Nintendo WiFi.) Then back again. Problem solved as the save file only ever exists on one Wii at any given time. Again Nintendo dropped the ball.

This week, Europe got two VC games, Mario Golf - N64/1000 Points, and Wonder Boy in Monster Land - SEGA Master System/500 Points.

New WiiWare title in development: Super Meat Boy

Are you a fan of small cubes of animated meat?

Do you enjoy the sound of buzz saws?

When you hear the term "wall jump" do you get excited?

Well, what if you woke up to find you were made of a lump of juicy raw meat, your girlfriend was made of band-aids and to top it all off she had been kidnapped by a fetus in a jar wearing a suit and monocle? Would that be totally awesome? or just kinda awesome?

Well I'm hoping you chose totally awesome, because that's basically the premise of Super Meat Boy.

In Super Meat Boy you take the role of a small animated cube of meat on his quest to save his lady love Band-Aid girl from the clutches of the evil Dr. Fetus! Sliding his way through saw mills, salt factories and even hell itself, Meat boy jumps into action in this fast paced and extremely challenging platformer that will "melt your face off".

Super Meat Boy is based off the popular flash game Meat Boy hosted by Newgrounds.com. http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/472826

Super Meat Boy will be completely remade from the ground up for its release on Wiiware™ and will feature over 100+ single player levels, insane boss fights, competitive vs modes, beefy co-op play and a slew of unlockables that are rumored to fill your life with great happiness!

SMB (best abbreviation ever) is being designed by Gish co-creator Edmund McMillen, Tommy Refenes and "Big" Jon McEntee.

We will be documenting Meat Boy's rebirth for Wiiware on our development blog via Supermeatboy.com so feel free to pop in and tell us all your lame ideas we will never use!

Thanks for the support! and keep indie gaming alive!

-Team Meat

Sounds like a winner to me. :D

...will feature over 100+ single player levels, insane boss fights, competitive vs modes, beefy co-op play...
I saw "Flash game" in the copy and immediately read the above as "repetitive vs modes". I'll try not to get too down on another Flash port without trying it first. After all, World of Goo is basically a Flash game but done with enough care and effort that it transcends being lumped in with the hordes of less-satisfying WiiWare offerings.

We got two games - something called Rock 'n Nuts, and then Wonder Boy and his Wonder Nuts with Monster Nuts.

It's actually not a bad game - sort of like a Metroidvania, but it's level based. I.e. you go through each stage, but can gather gold to get better weapons, and there's hidden shops and things. I remember it being extraordinarily difficult though.

Edit: Rockinutz looks sort of like a Marble Madness platformer - you run over the doods with your nuts and kill them to clear out a level, and then I think you get nut points or something. It doesn't look terrible, but it doesn't look like anything special.

WiiWare

Niki - Rock 'n' Ball (Bplus, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone-Comic Mischief, 500 Wii Points): Are you in love with those unforgettable arcade classics where the only goal is to vanquish all opponents to reach the next stage? Niki - Rock 'n' Ball is a new interpretation of those games with a completely innovative and unique gaming mechanism. Roll along with Niki through fantastic worlds, find all the ZeLeLi pearls, and liberate your village from cuddly-yet-evil monsters before it's too late. Timing is everything. Jump in the nick of time to avoid landing amid barbs. Hop across the stages thanks to the realistic gaming physics. Snap on the ZeLeLi amulet, transform yourself into Niki Rock, and force even the most obstinate monster to its knees. Explore all the stages and win valuable medals while dribbling through them, alone or with a friend. Use familiar controls in Retro style, or experience novel controls in the Wii style.

Virtual Console

Wonder Boy™ in Monster Land™ (SEGA MASTER SYSTEM, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Alcohol Reference, Mild Cartoon Violence, 500 Wii Points): After the defeat of the evil king, the kingdom of Wonder Land was a paradise…for a time. The peace was broken when a ferocious, fire-breathing dragon struck without warning and took over Wonder Land with a swarm of evil, monstrous henchmen, turning the once-peaceful land into the utterly chaotic Monster Land. Unable to fight, the people now look to Wonder Boy. Realizing that he is Wonder Land's last hope, Wonder Boy sets out on an incredible journey to rid the country of the monsters and defeat the "invincible" evil dragon. Guide Wonder Boy through various environments and dungeons, and defeat enemies using Special Weapons and Spells.

Boo. I just realized this morning that I haven't had that "what's coming out on VC this week?" excitement for what feels like 4-6 months now.

And this week's releases remind me how I came to be in this spot. A yawn would be too much effort to express my interest in either of these.

[quote name='Strell']Wonder Boy and his Wonder Nuts with Monster Nuts.[/QUOTE]

Also, the power to kill a yak from 200 yards away.

WITH MIND BULLETS!

Strell make new thread? Perhaps featuring more Nuts? Or perhaps Strell somehow get Monster Nut access to thread, such as to be able to change thread title and add more Nuts?

[quote name='crunchewy']Strell make new thread? Perhaps featuring more Nuts? Or perhaps Strell somehow get Monster Nut access to thread, such as to be able to change thread title and add more Nuts?[/QUOTE]

I'd support it, since someone isn't updating the thread title anymore. Why hath thou forsaken us, boo? :shock:

boo-hoo?

I might get Monster Land whatzit. I knew a kid with a SMS back in the day who was a savant at that game. I should see what, if anything, I remember.

Toribash is coming to Wiiware (Source), here's a video of the current development version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVAb-r1b1Fw

For those who don't know, Toribash is a freeware PC indie fighting game with online multiplayer. Its quirk is that it is bloody and turn-based, and you can choose how your character moves by changing its muscle actions. It's pretty difficult to learn, but once you figure out how to use the muscles effectively, you can pull off some pretty neat moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aMGLyXB9H0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R15aiWe4Yyk

[quote name='Cao Cao']Toribash is coming to Wiiware (Source), here's a video of the current development version:

For those who don't know, Toribash is a freeware PC indie fighting game with online multiplayer. Its quirk is that it is bloody and turn-based, and you can choose how your character moves by changing its muscle actions. It's pretty difficult to learn, but once you figure out how to use the muscles effectively, you can pull off some pretty neat moves.[/QUOTE]

That looks kind of awesome and kind of confusing.

Is the online multiplay going to be retained for the WiiWare version?

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']That looks kind of awesome and kind of confusing.

Is the online multiplay going to be retained for the WiiWare version?[/QUOTE]

Nothing else has been officially announced about it, outside of the developer's blog post that has some screenshots. Most of the shots have the single-player training dummy, Uke, as the opponent. However, one shot shows a menu, which says "Exit Local Game" at the bottom; for the option to make such a distinction tells me that they may at least have something else on the drawing board besides local play.

[quote name='wii skiier']It kind of reminds me of Ballz. I love Ballz.[/QUOTE]

I had that game for my Genesis. I definitely see the graphical similarity, but it sounds like the method of controlling the characters is completely different.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I had that game for my Genesis. I definitely see the graphical similarity, but it sounds like the method of controlling the characters is completely different.[/quote]
Yes, in this version you use a Wii remote instead of a Genesis controller. You're right though - it does look pretty different in terms of control, and I am at least curious about it. Mostly because it has balls.

i have been off the wii for a little bit. Too much GTA and Saints Row 2. has it been a yawn fest for the past couple of weeks or did i miss something blockbuster.

I did just read strell's post on rockin nutz. i love these titles with sexual innuendos lol.

Japan's VC games for February have been announced:

Famicom
Double Dragon
Formation Z

Super Famicom
Tactics Ogre

Master System
Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars

Mega Drive
Galaxy Force II
Dragon Slayer Eiyuu Densetsu

PC Engine
L-Dis (CD)
Super Darius 2 (CD)
DaiMakaiMura (Ghouls 'n Ghosts; SuperGrafx version, 800 Wii Points)
Wallaby!!
Winning Shot

Oh wow. I wonder if there's any chance of us getting Tactics Ogre. I realize it's in Japanese but it did get translated for the US PSOne release.

It's interesting to see that the VC can emulate the SuperGrafx. I've always wanted the system but it's too expensive to justify with only a few titles. I'd happily pay the 100 point premium for the SuperGrafx versions of 1941 and Ghouls N' Ghosts.

[quote name='Halo05']Oh wow. I wonder if there's any chance of us getting Tactics Ogre. I realize it's in Japanese but it did get translated for the US PSOne release.

It's interesting to see that the VC can emulate the SuperGrafx. I've always wanted the system but it's too expensive to justify with only a few titles. I'd happily pay the 100 point premium for the SuperGrafx versions of 1941 and Ghouls N' Ghosts.[/QUOTE]

I didn't even know there was a SuperGrafx. :whistle2:s

[quote name='Halo05']Oh wow. I wonder if there's any chance of us getting Tactics Ogre. I realize it's in Japanese but it did get translated for the US PSOne release.[/quote]

I wonder that too. I would love to get Tactics Ogre on the VC fully translated but the chances of that don't seem very likely. I wish I could be proven wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back