Wii Shop Channel Thread - 01/05: Kirby's Dream Land 3, Sandy Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I have no idea. Is CV3 good or not? Also, it seems I was confused about the Ogre Battle game - I thought Ogre Battle 64 was the game that was being talked about, but obviously it didn't matter, because neither game was released!

[quote name='EXStrike']Virtual Console™

Castlevania® III: Dracula's Curse (NES™, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone—Fantasy Violence, 500 Wii Points): This is the third game in the popular Castlevania series and the last of the franchise released on the original NES console. Take on the role of Trevor Belmont, forefather of Simon, and battle Dracula in a time long before the events of the first two Castlevania games. In addition to his trusty whip, Trevor has a previously unseen power—the ability to transform into one of three different companion spirits that he meets during his quest: Syfa, a young vampire hunter capable of powerful magic; Grant, a ferocious pirate who can climb on walls; and Alucard, forgotten son of Dracula, able to shoot fireballs and transform into a bat. Use an assortment of weapons (some specific to each character) as you choose which path to follow in your fight against Dracula and his army. Loaded with replay value and featuring some of the best platform action ever, this title is not to be missed.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, Great Game.... Wonder which version. There were some significant differences between the American and Japanese versions of this game, the most notable being different sounds and music due some chip incompatibilities between the NES and Famicon versions.

I hope someone with the nitpicky wherewithall can confirm if CV3 is the same as the NES cart, or if it's a mildly redone version with the Famicom soundboard being emulated (and other picky graphics changes).

This will affect whether I buy it today or tomorrow. ;)

[quote name='crunchewy']Actually, I have no idea. Is CV3 good or not?[/QUOTE]

I'd love to know too - I've only played the first one, and only because I got the Classic NES GBA port for cheap.

I have a question about these VC games. I have yet to buy any, and one of the things holding me back is that one of the things I really like about emulators is that they have freeze saves. That really helps a lot of the older games that had no save mechanism or had those awful password systems, and it's unclear to me if the VC has that feature. Does the VC have freeze saves, or are you stuck with the game as it was? That would make all the difference for me on whether or not I pick up many of the older games.

On VC, you can quit out of a NES, SNES, Genesis, TG-16, or Master System game at any time and it will save where you are. You can't make a whole bunch of different flash saves in order to, for example, beat a boss without getting hit. For what it's worth, I think the system does a good job of preserving the challenge of old games without forcing you to endure all of the tedium.

[quote name='Halo05']On VC, you can quit out of a NES, SNES, Genesis, TG-16, or Master System game at any time and it will save where you are. You can't make a whole bunch of different flash saves in order to, for example, beat a boss without getting hit. For what it's worth, I think the system does a good job of preserving the challenge of old games without forcing you to endure all of the tedium.[/QUOTE]

Ah, great! That is what I was looking for and how I'd want it to be implemented. Thanks for the info!

[quote name='howlinmad']That's a joke right?[/quote]
I'm not a Castlevania fan, so no. I'm just under the impression that it was a desirable game.

[quote name='EXStrike']Got ya good ;)[/quote]

I don't get it.:dunce:

[quote name='crunchewy']Actually, I have no idea. Is CV3 good or not? Also, it seems I was confused about the Ogre Battle game - I thought Ogre Battle 64 was the game that was being talked about, but obviously it didn't matter, because neither game was released![/quote]

CV3 is supposed to be good , one of the best of the series , but I can't say from personal experience as I've never played it. Now I can though.;)

Both Ogre Battles were being talked about , it just wasn't always made clear when it was the first or the third (64) one. In any case it doesn't matter since , as you said , neither game has been released on the VC (yet :pray:).

[quote name='lordwow']I'd imagine it's the American version since there isn't a 100 point import fee.[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking.

[quote name='botticus']I'm not a Castlevania fan, so no. I'm just under the impression that it was a desirable game.[/QUOTE]

Its basically Castlevania for the NES perfected. So if you dont like the concept of the original, you wont like this one. Its linear, but with branching paths. The dual character concept is reused in later games and makes for some fun diversity.

From a historical perspective, the character introductions are the basis for all future Castlevania games. Belmot's only use the whip, Alucard can fly, females uses magic, ect...

If it includes the Japanese music, its a no brainer, if not, its still a good game and I'll pick it up next time I'm looking for some Castlevania fun.

I dunno, Planet Pachinko looks like it could be pretty awesome.

[quote name='StarKnightX']I don't get it.:dunce:[/quote]

I beat him to the punch? :whistle2:s

[quote name='EXStrike']I dunno, Planet Pachinko looks like it could be pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]

Looks don't mean anything on the Wii. :cry:
As always, I'll watch the videos on Nintendo Channel when I go home. The Monday update is a good 10/15 minute time killer.

WiiWare needs demoes. Perhaps that Sandy Beach game last week was fun, but who knows? I'm sure not going to chance it. Videos alone don't cut it.

[quote name='EXStrike']I dunno, Planet Pachinko looks like it could be pretty awesome.
[/quote]
I can see myself actually enjoying Planet Pachinko. I can stare at stupid Peggle on the PC for an hour every so often and enjoy random ball bouncing and flashing colors, so why not on the Wii? As long as the block count is low, I might go for it.

$10 for a virtual card games makes me furious though. Something tells me it doesn't quite capture the basic element of Speed. The, uh, speed.

From the video, I can't even remotely tell what Planet Pachinko is, though. Is it like Peggle, or is it some weird platform game? Something else? It kind of looks like your moving some little guy around and shooting. Or maybe not. All this could easily be resolved with a demo. Oh well. Hopefully one of you will risk it and let us know. :)

[quote name='lilboo']Needs storage to have demos![/QUOTE]

Huh? We have storage. How else are you downloading WiiWare games? Why would WiiWare demos take up more space then the actual WiiWare games?

[quote name='lilboo']Wait. :dunce:

Planet Pachinko = Peggle'ish? O_O
[/quote]
Not entirely from the video. The gameplay seems different (you do appear to control a little man shooting something), but it seems to have some of the same elements of random things falling and bouncing with flashing lights. That's all I really look for in a game.
[quote name='crunchewy']Huh? We have storage. How else are you downloading WiiWare games? Why would WiiWare demos take up more space then the actual WiiWare games?[/quote]
It only takes a few WiiWare games to completely fill the Wii memory. Many of us in this thread have long been at the point where we have to move games back and forth to the SD card because we have more games than memory.

[quote name='wii skiier']It only takes a few WiiWare games to completely fill the Wii memory. Many of us in this thread have long been at the point where we have to move games back and forth to the SD card because we have more games than memory.[/QUOTE]

I thought that the Wii was ridiculously low on storage space to the point of, well, ridiculousness, until I realized that that "Connecting to the Internet" video was taking up a huge amount of space! I'm sure you've already realized this and long since "watched" and removed it, but I point this out just in case. After running the video and then deleting it, we had something like 1600 blocks of space, that with already having Bomberman Blast and Pokemon Ranch, as well as some extra channels and then games saves and such. Don't quote me on the exact numbers. Still, that will hold about 5 more of the biggest WiiWare titles. So 7+ WiiWare games. I'm not saying that's enough, but it is more then 2!

[quote name='crunchewy']From the video, I can't even remotely tell what Planet Pachinko is, though. Is it like Peggle, or is it some weird platform game? Something else? It kind of looks like your moving some little guy around and shooting. Or maybe not. All this could easily be resolved with a demo. Oh well. Hopefully one of you will risk it and let us know. :)[/quote]

Run-and-gun, methinks, except the stages are set up like pachinko machines.

[quote name='crunchewy']I thought that the Wii was ridiculously low on storage space to the point of, well, ridiculousness, until I realized that that "Connecting to the Internet" video was taking up a huge amount of space! I'm sure you've already realized this and long since "watched" and removed it, but I point this out just in case. [/quote]
I don't even remember something like this - maybe it wasn't included on my Wii since it's one of the first ones. You make me want to go home and check to make sure though. I do need to look into removing the News and Weather channels - I know there is a (non-Nintendo) way to do this and I think they are like 100 blocks each or something. I have not used either since about a week after each came out.

[quote name='crunchewy']Huh? We have storage. How else are you downloading WiiWare games? Why would WiiWare demos take up more space then the actual WiiWare games?[/QUOTE]

512mb isn't really something to call storage. #-o
We could have EASILY had 2gb and been perfectly fine.

Two weeks ago we got StarTropics 2, then Kirby last week, and CV3 this week, so the VC console is off to a great start for 2009.
We can only hope that the good VC games keep coming, because there are still plenty of titles that I want. Mostly SNES stuff left at this point I believe, but there are at least a few I want added for every system.

Castlevania 3 is as brutal as I remember. I got to the level after the ship without too much trouble. I might start over and bring Grant with me instead of Syfa. I forgot how often that little bastard could climb his way past various parts of levels.

[quote name='wii skiier']I don't even remember something like this - maybe it wasn't included on my Wii since it's one of the first ones. You make me want to go home and check to make sure though. I do need to look into removing the News and Weather channels - I know there is a (non-Nintendo) way to do this and I think they are like 100 blocks each or something. I have not used either since about a week after each came out.[/quote]

It is only on newer Wiis. My launch Wii didn't even come with the Weather and News Channels. My parents just bought a Wii in November and they have that channel as well.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']It is only on newer Wiis. My launch Wii didn't even come with the Weather and News Channels. My parents just bought a Wii in November and they have that channel as well.[/quote]
Yeah - I had to install the News and Weather Channels when they came out. I really loved the idea at the time, now I want the space.

[quote name='crunchewy']Huh? We have storage. How else are you downloading WiiWare games? Why would WiiWare demos take up more space then the actual WiiWare games?[/quote]512MB isn't storage. It's a tease. Like firmware updates.. in theory it could fix a lot of the Wii's problems in reality it just gives Nintendo a way to kill homebrew.

[quote name='wii skiier']I don't even remember something like this - maybe it wasn't included on my Wii since it's one of the first ones. You make me want to go home and check to make sure though. I do need to look into removing the News and Weather channels - I know there is a (non-Nintendo) way to do this and I think they are like 100 blocks each or something. I have not used either since about a week after each came out.[/quote]I'd love the News and Weather channels if Nintendo didn't lie to us about it. I used to think it would download the current weather and show it on the icon. Turns out nope. The current weather doesn't show unless you login frequently. I don't have many VC games but soon as I get 80% full those two channels are gone.

[quote name='lilboo']512mb isn't really something to call storage. #-o
We could have EASILY had 2gb and been perfectly fine.[/quote]I wouldn't say fine but at least our whining would just be whining and not screams of agony at trying to shovel 1 gig of games into 512 megs of shuffling room.

I wish the Wii had more storage space, but there *is* storage space, however small. And, in fact, there is enough to hold WiiWare demos and there should be WiiWare demos. That's my only point. WiiWare demos presumably would be smaller then full WiiWare games too, so would be quicker to download and take up less space.

The "Connecting to the Internet" video probably is cutting into Nintendo's WiiWare sales. I have to presume that there is a significant number of people out there who don't realize it is taking up space at all and who didn't need, nor want to watch it. They download two WiiWare titles and they are out of space. Moreover they get especially pissed at the big N about the lack of storage space!

[quote name='lilboo']512mb isn't really something to call storage. #-o
We could have EASILY had 2gb and been perfectly fine.[/quote]
Did lilboo fall into a time machine destined for 2007? :whistle2:(

I think so!! :wall:

And Wolfkin, 2gb would be more then enough. I have a 2gb SD card (with at least 500 pictures..several that are dirty :drool:) and I have MOST of my WiiWare/VC games on that card and i STILL have like 11,000 blocks left.

[quote name='crunchewy']I wish the Wii had more storage space, but there *is* storage space, however small.[/quote]
Cheap Sandisk MP3 players have more space than a $250 gaming machine that is meant for downloads. Less than a gig of space, in this day and age, is a joke.

[quote name='crunchewy']The "Connecting to the Internet" video probably is cutting into Nintendo's WiiWare sales. I have to presume that there is a significant number of people out there who don't realize it is taking up space at all and who didn't need, nor want to watch it. They download two WiiWare titles and they are out of space. Moreover they get especially pissed at the big N about the lack of storage space![/QUOTE]

Maybe. But we can't tell if that is outweighed by the number of casuals who connected to WiiWare only because of the video. Two is better than none.

[quote name='crunchewy']
The "Connecting to the Internet" video probably is cutting into Nintendo's WiiWare sales. I have to presume that there is a significant number of people out there who don't realize it is taking up space at all and who didn't need, nor want to watch it. They download two WiiWare titles and they are out of space. Moreover they get especially pissed at the big N about the lack of storage space![/QUOTE]

[quote name='thedizz']Maybe. But we can't tell if that is outweighed by the number of casuals who connected to WiiWare only because of the video. Two is better than none.[/QUOTE]

Haha. Maybe at the end of the video it should mention that it can be deleted to free up some space for Wiiware. :]

[quote name='lilboo']I think so!! :wall:

And Wolfkin, 2gb would be more then enough. I have a 2gb SD card (with at least 500 pictures..several that are dirty :drool:) and I have MOST of my WiiWare/VC games on that card and i STILL have like 11,000 blocks left.[/quote]you know i never tried sticking my camera's SD card into my Wii. I don't know i just don't like the fridge analogy. It makes me lazy to buy games every game put me closer to that point when I'm gonna have to start shuffling.

[quote name='Strell']Haha. Maybe at the end of the video it should mention that it can be deleted to free up some space for Wiiware. :][/QUOTE]

The Wii does offer to delete it for you once you have viewed it (and you can't delete it until you have viewed it), but I don't recall that it said anything about it freeing up space, only that you could delete it. I imagine many newbies would be afraid to delete it and so wouldn't.

[quote name='Wolfkin']you know i never tried sticking my camera's SD card into my Wii. I don't know i just don't like the fridge analogy. It makes me lazy to buy games every game put me closer to that point when I'm gonna have to start shuffling.[/quote]
It gets worse. I'm at the point where I no longer have room for some game saves. I was trying to keep 100 blocks free at all times but then Rock Band 2 came out with a save file over 50 blocks. And we have Spray that I have been unable to try because the stupid save file is like 150 blocks. Apparently the save file remembers everything you sprayed everywhere. I haven't played it, so I don't know if that's necessary or not. I need to just get around to finishing World of Goo so I can take it off the console and get 300 blocks back.

They should just quietly release a revision of the Wii with 2 GB of internal flash storage instead of 512 MB. It's not an HDD, but it would be a significant improvement and I don't think it would result in any compatibility issues since it's the same type of storage. Not that I'm an expert on the topic. Of course it wouldn't do us any good, but it would still be a good move on their part and with little to no effort or expense.

[quote name='crunchewy']They should just quietly release a revision of the Wii with 2 GB of internal flash storage instead of 512 MB. It's not an HDD, but it would be a significant improvement and I don't think it would result in any compatibility issues since it's the same type of storage. Not that I'm an expert on the topic. Of course it wouldn't do us any good, but it would still be a good move on their part and with little to no effort or expense.[/quote]
I like this solution. It's easy and cheap for them and doesn't necessarily feel like a required upgrade for existing owners. Of course, if they did this I would sell mine on craigslist since used prices stay high and just "upgrade" for less than $50.

See, I would love for that too but what does that do for all the WiiWare/VC games we purchased?
There's like 2 parts to this solution. That solution (releasing a version of the Wii with a 2GB inside) is a good start, but, we need to be able to re-download items.. especially if we have them linked to an Club Nintendo account.

[quote name='lilboo']See, I would love for that too but what does that do for all the WiiWare/VC games we purchased?
There's like 2 parts to this solution. That solution (releasing a version of the Wii with a 2GB inside) is a good start, but, we need to be able to re-download items.. especially if we have them linked to an Club Nintendo account.[/quote]
I'd forgotten about that. You're right - there needs to be a system in place (like a Shop Channel "account" separate from the hardware) to allow easy transfer of your digital property to a new console.

[quote name='lilboo']See, I would love for that too but what does that do for all the WiiWare/VC games we purchased?
There's like 2 parts to this solution. That solution (releasing a version of the Wii with a 2GB inside) is a good start, but, we need to be able to re-download items.. especially if we have them linked to an Club Nintendo account.[/quote]

I agree it's a good solution, another solution could be they let people send in their Wiis and get them upgraded to 2 GB of flash memory at cost.

[quote name='wii skiier']I'd forgotten about that. You're right - there needs to be a system in place (like a Shop Channel "account" separate from the hardware) to allow easy transfer of your digital property to a new console.[/QUOTE]

Steam has the process down pat assuming you have an active internet connection. Then again, I don't think Nintendo would want Mr. and Mrs. Newtovideogames to have to log onto some sort of network everytime they were hankering for a game of Wii Tennis.

[quote name='wii skiier']I'd forgotten about that. You're right - there needs to be a system in place (like a Shop Channel "account" separate from the hardware) to allow easy transfer of your digital property to a new console.[/quote]
Nintendo even has a system in place for that, when I sent my Wii in for repairs and it came back without my shop channel account linked all I had to do was email them, and when I created a new account with all of my old info everything reappeared in my account.

It's pretty clear at this point that Nintendo could not possibly give a fuck less about a storage solution and just will continue making money as the ants under their feet cry, "we need space to buy VC games!"

I heart Nintendo, but it has to be one of the most absurd positions for any company to be in, for their customers to be crying out to buy an accessory that will allow them to buy more products from them, and a company flat-out IGNORES their customers.

This is such a problem that users are modding the system to have more storage. It's the most ridiculous thing.

Seriously, fuck Nintendo too for not releasing Earthbound yet.

I'm so sick and fucking tired of waiting around on the good stuff that was rated over a year ago while all these shitty WiiWare games get released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back