Wii Shop Channel Thread - 12/29 StarTropics II, Maboshi's Arcade, Cue Sports: Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woah, there's a Soul Bubbles demo up on the Nintendo Channel. I've been really interested in this game (TRU exclusive, I believe)

[quote name='lilboo']Woah, there's a Soul Bubbles demo up on the Nintendo Channel. I've been really interested in this game (TRU exclusive, I believe)[/QUOTE]

Sweet, I haven't used the demo channel in a while...but I want to check that out.

Is that a DS game? What's it like? I don't want to go deleting something I use just to re-download the Nintendo Channel unless it's something I want.

[quote name='wii skiier']Cornhole is a game in which players take turns pitching small bags filled with corn (or sand or beans) at a raised platform with a hole in the far end. These platforms are usually plywood, sometimes plastic, and sometimes decorated. A corn bag in the hole scores 3 points, while one on the platform scores 1 point. Play continues until a player reaches the score of 21.
Cornhole is super fun!

I have never played this version.[/QUOTE]

I know what the game is....just curious how the Wii version is...anyone get it?

[quote name='doubledown']I know what the game is....just curious how the Wii version is...anyone get it?[/quote]
I'm behind on my totally legit:roll: WiiWare acquisitions, sorry.

[quote name='Doomed']I'm behind on my totally legit:roll: WiiWare acquisitions, sorry.[/quote]
So sad... Boogerman not even worth pirating to play. :lol:

[quote name='yukine']So sad... Boogerman not even worth pirating to play. :lol:[/quote]
The only VC games I've pirated are Super Smash Bros., which I own on N64, and EarthBound. I'm sure you know Nintendo is hell bent on people not remembering EB. Both aren't even real VC games, they're hacked into real ones. Which I'm sure you know, yukine. Right after you were knocking me about pirating I saw someone with your username, avatar, and signature posting on a torrent site. :lol:

I was thinking the same thing when Microsoft and Sony discounted stuff in their stores. There are alot of games I'd be tricked into buying if they were 200-300 points cheaper.

[quote name='Doomed']The only VC games I've pirated are Super Smash Bros., which I own on N64, and EarthBound. I'm sure you know Nintendo is hell bent on people not remembering EB. Both aren't even real VC games, they're hacked into real ones. Which I'm sure you know, yukine. Right after you were knocking me about pirating I saw someone with your username, avatar, and signature posting on a torrent site. :lol:[/quote]
I wasn't knocking you, I was speaking for myself as well. :lol:

This week, Europe got Space Invaders: The Original Game - SNES/800 Points, Forgotten Worlds - Sega Genesis/800 Points, and Metal Slug 2 - Neo Geo/900 Points.

That game looked sick ... and isn't it supposed to be $5?

Edit: I googled my answer, and came up with this ...

[quote name='"www.nintendowiifanboy.com"']the Starter Pack that you purchase for 500 points (three extra packs of DLC are available for 500 points apiece, taking the full game to a whopping 2,000 points) is incredibly meager, and I don't want anybody to get a nasty surprise from this. It took me twenty minutes (and only one retry) to complete the two levels and one boss that you receive from the start.

As it happens, such brevity is forgivable. After all, playing and replaying the same stages to perfection is pretty much how all shmups work, and so three levels for $5 or £3.50 is passable value.[/QUOTE]

I'm less stoked, but will still be picking up at least the starter game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The Crotch']Finally got World of Goo.

God damn is it good. Surprised by the music, too.[/quote]

Just got it a few hours ago. It's amazingly cool though I had to spend $20 to get enough points to get it. Well worth it I guess. Next up to try...Boingz :).

WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO WIIWARE GAMES AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Dec. 1, 2008

After a long, lazy holiday weekend, it's time to shake off your post-Thanksgiving daze. Need some suggestions for boosting your activity level back into the red? Let the latest additions to the Wii™ Shop Channel be your guide: Take command of a UFO in an epic space battle, get your engine revving as the leader of a frenzied pit crew, or storm the battlefield in a high-tech military mêlée. With all this excitement, you may be ready for another vacation day sooner than you think.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare™

SPACE INVADERS GET EVEN (Taito, 1 player, Rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and Older-Cartoon Violence, 500 Wii Points): The Space Invaders are back, and this time they're out to get even. Take control of a UFO and make those Earthlings pay by unleashing your fleet of heroic invaders against their puny tanks, fighter jets and artillery-but watch out for the massive boss awaiting you at the end of each stage. Use your invaders' five attack types and the might of the mother ship to rack up high scores, then upload them via Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection and see where you stand in the global rankings. (Note: Router and broadband access required for online play. For more info, visit www.nintendo.com.)

Pit Crew Panic! (Hudson Entertainment, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): Pit Crew Panic! is a frantic, action-packed game that unfolds on the racing circuit. During the game, the pit crew is not only faced with repairing vehicles, but also various WHATSITs. Handling the WHATSIT repairs is a pit crew made up of legendary beauties. The controls are simple: Just grab a member of the crew with the Wii Remote™ controller's A Button, then release the button when the Pointer is over the damaged PART, and that crew member will begin repairs. Assign repairs to the members of your team and provide support using the Wii Remote to send a fully repaired WHATSIT out of the pit as quickly as you can. The game features Normal mode, which can be played using one of two rules: Abnormal mode (players split into two teams and compete against each other) and Ranking mode (compete with players around the world for the top record). Each mode can be played with a maximum of four Wii Remote controllers, allowing you to team up with friends and family. Your teamwork could lead to outstanding records.

Virtual Console™

METAL SLUG 2 (NEOGEO, 1-2 players, Rated T for Teen-Blood and Gore, Violence, 900 Wii Points): Released in 1998 by SNK, METAL SLUG 2 is a side-scrolling military-action game. Players choose from Marco, Tarma, Eri and Fio, setting their sights on wiping out Morden's newly remobilized Rebellion Army. Just like the original METAL SLUG, players blaze a trail by shooting and jumping, but METAL SLUG 2 adds a new arsenal for you to command, including a heavy machine gun, a shotgun and even a laser gun, providing players with rich variety. Battle effects are packed in, as well-players turn into mummies after getting caught in poison gas coughed up by mummies. After picking up too many food items, characters turn fat, but they get an attack-strength upgrade. Two-player action is supported, too, so players can have a blast with their friends.

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

sigh, another one game release for Virtual Console...but Space Invaders makes it up.

Why sigh? It's been a one-game VC release for a few months now, hasn't it?

Ever since WiiWare, the digitally distributable version of those $8 shareware discs Aunt Earl buys for christimas since she hears you like to play the Nintendo 360, came out, that is.

Right?

[quote name='mykevermin']Why sigh? It's been a one-game VC release for a few months now, hasn't it?

Ever since WiiWare, the digitally distributable version of those $8 shareware discs Aunt Earl buys for christimas since she hears you like to play the Nintendo 360, came out, that is.

Right?[/QUOTE]

In Sept & Oct we got a few weeks in a row of 2 games for VC and 2 games for WiiWare. I think we got one of those weeks in Nov.. :shrug::

But yeah, for a while we DID somehow get 2 & 2.

--
As always, another sucky week. Space Inavders seems neat, but another game that has too much DLC :(

Still waiting till AFTER the CAG secret santa to get stuff :cool:

"Handling the WHATSIT repairs is a pit crew made up of legendary beauties."

pit-crew.jpg

Creepy.

This description is even crazier (from Hudson's site):

"However, even when you’re running those girls around as fast as you can, it may not be enough against those ticking time bombs. But in sticky situations like these, you can help out your girls by using your Wii Remote™ just like a real pit crew tool to speed up the fixing. Hammer away with up and down swings, or tighten that bolt with some wrist turns! The tools are really in your hands… as if all the mayhem wasn’t time consuming enough! Pit Crew Panic! is like condensed milk, super high concentrations in uniqueness, randomness and hyperactivity, all packaged in a WiiWare game can. Although it’s not as edible as the milk cans from the store, it is sure to be the most eccentric and fun experience you will have! "

[quote name='wii skiier']
This description is even crazier (from Hudson's site):

"However, even when you’re running those girls around as fast as you can, it may not be enough against those ticking time bombs. But in sticky situations like these, you can help out your girls by using your Wii Remote™ just like a real pit crew tool to speed up the fixing. Hammer away with up and down swings, or tighten that bolt with some wrist turns! The tools are really in your hands… as if all the mayhem wasn’t time consuming enough! Pit Crew Panic! is like condensed milk, super high concentrations in uniqueness, randomness and hyperactivity, all packaged in a WiiWare game can. Although it’s not as edible as the milk cans from the store, it is sure to be the most eccentric and fun experience you will have! "[/QUOTE]

Ha, that's awesome. Besides all of the obvious sexual innuendo, they managed to fit in that fantastic analogy. If there's anything that will sell me on a game, it's its similarities to condensed milk.

Wait a minute, not as edible? No sale.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Oh shit... my most wanted Wii game...

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20081203/stt.htm

you evolve your monkey by lightgunning things ... !!!! it's also only $6![/quote]
Holy monkey-tail Jesus on toast! I need that. Now. Is it out in Japan?

Also, what the hell is the actual title of the game? Google translates the header of that page to:

Grand Prix, Wii Ware "SHOOTANT ~ Past Hen"
Face for the future of mankind Action Shooting

Grand Prix, Wii Ware "SHOOTANT ~ Past Hen"
Face for the future of mankind Action Shooting[/quote]

wow......that's one catchy title.....just rolls right off the tongue. :lol:

shooting "things" and evolving a monkey? very weird, but i also agree - $6 for another light gun game? i don't think the Wii has enough of those, and even if it's a shallow game, c'mon, $6!!!

This week, Europe got 4 WiiWare games, Art Styles: ROTOHEX - 600 Points, Bang! - 600 Points, Pit Crew Panic! - 500 Points, and Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People - Episode 4: Dangeresque 3: The Criminal Projective - 1000 Points.

Bang! looks so terrible.
http://www.wiiware-world.com/games/wiiware/bang
I know there has to be plenty of crap mixed in to provide a steady stream of WiiWare releases, but for something that started out with so much promise WiiWare is not really panning out for me. It seems like the few good WiiWare games are buried under a mountain of garbage. I do really enjoy some of the games that I've gotten (Tetris Party is on nonstop in our house), but as a "brand" I can't imagine WiiWare has taken hold. A while ago I thought I saw some estimated sales figures for games - has anyone kept up on those?

[quote name='wii skiier']Bang! looks so terrible.
http://www.wiiware-world.com/games/wiiware/bang
I know there has to be plenty of crap mixed in to provide a steady stream of WiiWare releases, but for something that started out with so much promise WiiWare is not really panning out for me. It seems like the few good WiiWare games are buried under a mountain of garbage. I do really enjoy some of the games that I've gotten (Tetris Party is on nonstop in our house), but as a "brand" I can't imagine WiiWare has taken hold. A while ago I thought I saw some estimated sales figures for games - has anyone kept up on those?[/quote]

I wonder if most of these games would simply be free flash games we'd find on the internets somewhere....

this one sure looks like it.

This might have already been asked, but... Why are they releasing Metal Slug games on the VC? Don't we already have the Metal Slug Anthology or something?

[quote name='wii skiier'] but for something that started out with so much promise WiiWare is not really panning out for me. It seems like the few good WiiWare games are buried under a mountain of garbage.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but how is this any different from the library of console x, where x = any game platform ever?

[quote name='snipegod']I'm sorry, but how is this any different from the library of console x, where x = any game platform ever?[/quote]
It's not any different (and neither is the diappointment), but the fact remains that as something brand new WiiWare had promise. The biggest difference is what was mentioned above - many of the games that have been released seem worse than existing Flash games. With a normal console game the terrible games at least appear to be more substantial; with the terrible WiiWare games you know you're playing something you could have gotten for free.

I don't have a PS3 or 360 - are their digital content libraries subject to the same criticism? From the little I read and hear about them it seems like they are more judicious about what gets released, but I could be totally wrong.

Let's put it this way.

The best of Wiiware holds up to the best of XBLA. Wiiware's worst titles end up being waggle fests or IR pointing messes, where as XBLA's worst are essentially straight ports of existing Flash games. Which isn't to say those games are bad - it's just that you can play a good deal of them for free on your PC. This is mostly Popcap games inventory - they still have nice graphics, but overall are pretty simple. Still, that puts them above the trash on Wiiware.

XBLA has an edge in that the online components can be utilized quite well, but lag can still be a huge issue. I am told Castle Crashers suffers from bad lag, as well as the TMNT arcade games.

If you had to ask me, the best games on Wiiware are:
Strong Bad Series
Megaman 9
Lost Winds
Art Style
World of Goo

Best XBLA is:
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Settlers of Catan
Braid
Ikaruga
Megaman 9
Street Fighter 2: HD Remix

I haven't played a few on each service.

Overall I'd say Wiiware gets some great titles, but the majority is crap and looks like crap. However I'd say the highs are just as good as the best XBLA titles, and hopefully there's things in the pipeline that improve on the offerings. XBLA has some truly stellar downloadable games though.

Obviously there are some titles that can't work that well on XBLA - World of Goo and Strong Bad. Sure you could port both, but it would be an exercise in frustration playing without a mouse-like interface.

I'd probably give the edge to XBLA simply for the fact hat you can play a lot of multiplayer easily and on a reliable service, which is something Wiiware simply can't match, no matter how good the developer tries. Until we have unified codes for multiplayer in all aspects (Wiiare+retail), that bullet point is always, always diminished.

PSN I have no clue about. I tend to think of it as XBLA + Pixel___ Games, so I never see it as truly all that different.

The worst of Wiiware is absolutely abysmal, though - waaaaaaaaay worse than the competition. If we were taking those into account, Wiiware is probably still at the bottom overall.

It's a shame that Nintendo doesn't really bring the hammer down on this sort of thing. Pit Crew Panic? Really? This is why I knew the "there are over 100 Wiiware games in development" byline was nonsense, since you ultimately wouldn't care about 95% of them. 'Course that didn't stop third parties from bitching at the latest TGS about how "only Nintendo's first party games on Wiiware sell," which was a total fuckin' lie and nothing but whiner trash.

A shame, really. Here we have the perfect place for, say, a new 2D Metroid or Kid Icarus, and instead we're seeing the same shovelware mentality from third parties and a half-assed limp from Nintendo.

Yes! You'd think after something like Mega Man 9 existing, we'd see some new 2D Mario or Metroid or Legend of Zelda in the works.

:(

My Life as a King is probably one of my favorite games this year. Not GOTY, but "One of"

The relentlessly disappointing thing about Wiiware is that it seems to cut into VC releases. I'm thrilled that stuff like Alien Crush, Space Invaders, and Megaman 9 have come out but when garbage like Pit Crew Panic interferes with, I dunno, Rondo of Blood or Castlevania 3 getting US releases, I fill with hate.

Thank you for the thoughtful breakdown!
[quote name='Strell']
If you had to ask me, the best games on Wiiware are:
Strong Bad Series
Megaman 9
Lost Winds
Art Style
World of Goo
Overall I'd say Wiiware gets some great titles, but the majority is crap and looks like crap. However I'd say the highs are just as good as the best XBLA titles, and hopefully there's things in the pipeline that improve on the offerings. XBLA has some truly stellar downloadable games though.
[/quote]
I would add Tetris Party and Dr. Mario Online to my top list, but otherwise I agree. Those two games did well to realize the basic game was the selling point and for the most part designed the rest of the total package around it. Also, online has always worked perfectly for me with those games.

Saying that the highs are nearly equivalent sets me at ease a little. Honestly, the only reason I've ever been tempted to get a 360 was for things like Braid.

[quote name='Strell']
The worst of Wiiware is absolutely abysmal, though - waaaaaaaaay worse than the competition. If we were taking those into account, Wiiware is probably still at the bottom overall.
[/quote]
I did suspect this. Man, there are some really bad WiiWare games.

I don't want to hear anything bad about Wild West Guns, :shame:

It's corny, but it's a pretty decent "GET A HIGH SCORE" Zapper game.
I know it wasn't mentioned, :lol:, but still! ^_^

Honestly, the only reason I've ever been tempted to get a 360 was for things like Braid.
[/QUOTE]

I have the exact same mentality on the issue. I had to watch a friend's kid for a bit tonight, and he had Braid, so I finally got to play it. Absolutely beautiful game with amazing music, and I only messed around with the demo for all of ten minutes.

I had a 360 and the game I played the most was Catan. I'm about to get one again and I imagine the situation won't change that much. I found that the big games for it weren't bad, they just weren't my thing. Best example was Dead Rising - I tried to play it with honest effort, but it was just....bad. (Note: I think the upcoming Wii port will be much, much worse, despite fixing some of the logistical issues. I also happen to think the Wii version will get poor reception since apparently every reviewer refuses to give it a fair shake, which I believe comes from tainted rose glasses over the original, but that's another discussion.)

I just have so little interest in these games that look nice but have made changes to appeal to another audience, which in this case is hand-holding and coddling. But I'm not going to really go into that here.

Basically if XBLA were on the PC and you could intermix where you play the games, I wouldn't want a 360. Beh.

[quote name='lilboo']I don't want to hear anything bad about Wild West Guns, :shame:

It's corny, but it's a pretty decent "GET A HIGH SCORE" Zapper game.
I know it wasn't mentioned, :lol:, but still! ^_^[/quote]
I love that game. Everyone in my family and circle of friends loves that game. Timewise it probably places third after the two big competitive puzzlers I mentioned. It looks nice, controls great and has a clean interface and drives you to play more. But for some reason it just doesn't seem like a "great" game i my mind. Which is stupid, because I basically just said it meets all the qualifications of what most people would consider to be a great game.

Remember when we would all post on Sunday night wondering what tomorrow would bring us? :(

What a shame. I really was into those conversations/complaints. Whenever Monday would hit we would have a few new pages but lately it's been like..1 new page.. a page and 1/2 at most.

:(
I miss enjoying my Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back