Wii Shop Channel Thread - 12/29 StarTropics II, Maboshi's Arcade, Cue Sports: Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get too excited...unless you're a cheapass and prefer the 8-bit Sonic 2 over the 16-bit edition...

WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO WIIWARE GAMES AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Dec. 8, 2008

Neither sleet nor snow nor ice-cold winter winds shall keep Wii™ Shop Channel users from enjoying the best new and classic games. In fact, this week's offerings include a hot new strategy-based puzzle game that promises to keep everyone in the household enthused, no matter how frightful the weather outside may be. Harrowing puzzles, hockey pucks and a world-famous hedgehog are all featured in the latest downloadable lineup, providing red-hot gaming thrills to counter the imminent December chills.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare™

Bruiser and Scratch (Steel Penny Games, Inc., 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 1,000 Wii Points): Bruiser and Scratch are stranded in a strange world with a dark secret. Their only hope in finding a path home is to unravel the mystery of this place, one oversized puzzle at a time. Along the way, they make new friends and meet up with old adversaries, each of whom plays a role in their journey. Bruiser and Scratch offers a number of tutorial levels to bring the player up to speed gradually. The story unfolds over 48 puzzles and six landscapes. And for players who can't get enough, Challenge mode offers 75 additional puzzles that range from child's play to mind-bogglingly difficult.

Hockey Allstar Shootout (Big Blue Bubble Inc., 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): Use the Wii Remote™ controller as a stick and take the shot as you compete in three exciting Hockey Skills Challenges. In Head 2 Head, it's just you versus the best goalies in the world in a five-puck shootout. Race against the clock to post the most goals in the fastest time. The three difficulty levels will place you against three increasingly talented goalies, each donning the jersey of their home country. In two-player mode, each player will take a turn as shooter and as goalie, and the player who scores the most goals in five shots is the winner. In Sharp Shooter, you post a high score in one of three difficulty levels by breaking as many targets as you can. Each time a shot fails to break a target, an X will appear in the upper left corner. Three misses and the game is over. Power Shot has you take your best shot and watch the Shot-Speed Clock light up. You have three attempts to blast the fastest shot you can, and only the best speeds will grace the high score list.

Virtual Console™

Sonic The Hedgehog™ 2 (SEGA MASTER SYSTEM, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): Play the popular Sonic The Hedgehog sequel, made specifically for the SEGA MASTER SYSTEM. Sonic returns home to his island just in time to see Dr. Eggman (a.k.a. Dr. Robotnik) run off with Tails. In fact, Dr. Eggman has kidnapped all of Sonic's animal friends and placed them in robotic mind-controlling suits. He demands the six Chaos Emeralds, hidden on the island, in exchange for their safe return. Explore underground mine shafts, dash through underwater tunnels and hang glide through the clouds in Sonic's search for the Chaos Emeralds. Once Sonic's found them all, he must face off with the evil Dr. Eggman and thwart his plan for global domination.

So many puzzle games...but B&S looks pretty good.

I'm going to wait until noon to check out the B&S video on the Nintendo Channel to get a better idea of what that game looks like. It does sound really neat.

Didn't Sonic 2 for SMS never come out in the States? Is it the same as Sonic 2 on Gen? :whistle2:s

[quote name='lilboo']I'm going to wait until noon to check out the B&S video on the Nintendo Channel to get a better idea of what that game looks like. It does sound really neat.

Didn't Sonic 2 for SMS never come out in the States? Is it the same as Sonic 2 on Gen? :whistle2:s[/quote]

Sonic 2 for the SMS is Sonic 2 for the Game Gear. I don't know what collection game has it but one of the sonic games has it.

Nice! I think I remember Sonic 2 from GameGear. :whistle2:k

I can't wait to see B&S videos. It almost sounds like Zack & Wiki, but also Toki Tori at the same time. I beat off to both of those games, so if it's like either one of them I'm in!

[quote name='lordwow']I have the sonic mega collection + for Xbox and it has it. You can get it for $5 on Goozex.[/quote]
But it's $5 on VC. Why not just get if for VC?

Man, I have all these Wii points that I bought months ago and Nintendo just keeps giving me more and more reason to not use them :cry:

[quote name='soonersfan60']So you want to read pages and pages of complaints about not getting Earthbound...[/quote]
Yes. Combined with pages and pages of complaints about complaints about not getting Earthbound. That makes pages and pages and pages and pages!

[quote name='yukine']Where are all these cock avatars coming from?

Maybe I want a proto cock avatar.[/quote]
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=4668
I want a Casey cock. And his brother too.

[quote name='dcfox']But it's $5 on VC. Why not just get if for VC?[/quote]
$5 for one novelty game on the VC, or $5 for like 20 novelty games with great emulation that don't take up any memory. I love my Mega Collection.

Lilboo - post your B&S impressions if you end up getting it and let me know if you beat off to it. I liked Zack & Wiki but not Toki Tori.

fucking christ. I've been sitting on like 7700 Wii points since Wal-mart clearances/TRU sales from months ago and all they bring out to tempt me is Sonic 2.

I just had an epiphany about why the VC releases annoy me. The Wii has some very good disc-based games. SMG is probably my #2 pick for 2007 GOTY. Smash Brothers Brawl is pretty fun. The port of RE:4 is amazing. However, for the most part, the disc based stuff I see on the Wii appeals to my sister. There's nothing wrong with that. I love my sister, I'm glad she's happy with her Wii *snicker*. That being said, the VC is the perfect candidate to fill in where the Wii's disc-based games fall short (at least in terms of quantity). Bring me more shooters, bring me more fighting games, bring me more role playing games, bring me hard-ass platformers that are a joy to play with the Classic Controller. Instead, more than half the time, crappy dreck is delivered.

Anyhow, sorry if any of that sounds trollish. It isn't meant to be. See y'all next Monday for Earthbound.

I agree.

WiiWare should be used for more quality games, then the shovelware we get. What makes the shovelware even more ridiculous is they usually tend to chage like $8-$10 for it. :roll:

There should be more updates and sequals to classic 2d games. There's no reason why we can't have a Super Mario Bros 4 or Super Metroid 2.

[quote name='lilboo'] There's no reason why we can't have a Super Mario Bros 4 or Super Metroid 2.[/QUOTE]

You know I don't disagree with the overall idea here, but let's be honest - those games take time to develop. NSMB was a nice game and all, but I think just about everyone knows that the level design in it was leagues below Yoshi's Island/Super Mario World/SMB3. I think I'd rather a game not be made than a shitty cash-in be released, and since Nintendo actually has barely done that with Mario platformers, I'll let it slide (but only just so).

It wouldn't be hard for Nintendo to release a 2D based Mario (most likely with 3D models) for Wiiware. But that wouldn't make it a quality game.

I think Wiiware is a better place for things like World of Goo/Lost Winds/Strong Bad. Wiiware would be a fantastic place for things like Super Metroid 2, but then again, so would a handheld. I think that's the identity crisis Nintendo has at the moment with such titles, assuming they are even thinking about them to begin with.

This all said, again - I said a few pages ago that Wiiware's poorest games are absolutely abysmal. I actually sort of want to know where all these companies are coming from that are making this shit. They can't seriously be making money on them, so how are they surviving? Hell, where did their original investments come from? 'Cuz I need to find those people - they'll give money to anyone and for anything.

But what about Mega Man 9! That took time to develop. I know it was also a multi-platform release, but still.

They must know that since a lot of Mario/Nintendo titles are usually in the top 10 (let alone the top 20) in the "Popular Virtual Console releases", and if all of these people are buying Mario titles, SURELY, they know a whole brand new Mario would sell very well.

Same with a new Metroid.

I'd love a NEW NSMB on my DS as well as Super Metroid 2 (or just a new 2D metroid..), but my DS gets enough attention. I much rather see them in 2D, looking great on my TV.

[quote name='lilboo']But what about Mega Man 9! That took time to develop. I know it was also a multi-platform release, but still.[/quote]

And tons of self-entitled elitist jerk gamers ignored it solely based on the graphics. Not to mention we have no real clue what the development costs were.

Nintendo hardly ever re-uses sprites. Just look at the "evolution" of Mario - he's never drawn the same way twice (though some instances come close). I get the feeling Nintendo doesn't want to attempt too many 2D Mario games for fear of destroying the pedigree they tend to have, which is only compounded by their paranoia and restless fever in attempting to always change/one-up previous efforts.

MM9 is a great game and a partial exception, but that's pretty much Capcom being Capcom - reusing materials they already have to construct a new game. I love MM9 to death but it's not really comparable to a new Mario 2D game. Plus, as you said, it was multiplatform. Nintendo doesn't have that luxury.

They must know that since a lot of Mario/Nintendo titles are usually in the top 10 (let alone the top 20) in the "Popular Virtual Console releases", and if all of these people are buying Mario titles, SURELY, they know a whole brand new Mario would sell very well.

Same with a new Metroid.

Yeah. I know. But 1) you yourself even called the "top 10" lists or whatever total nonsense in the past, and 2) I'm not so sure Nintendo is paying attention to them. Remember, Nintendo's success in that area earns them a ton of hatred from developers and gamers alike, so they probably see it as a situation where they'd cause a backlash by releasing another new Mario.

This isn't great reasoning, because a great 2D Mario would shut up a LOT of flaming. I'm merely the messenger here.

I'd love a NEW NSMB on my DS as well as Super Metroid 2 (or just a new 2D metroid..), but my DS gets enough attention. I much rather see them in 2D, looking great on my TV.

I know, I know. I agree 100%.

Yeah I imagine MM9 would've been a hard sell if Capcom was indeed selling it for one system, especially since the concept probably sounds stupid to today's general gamer. I'd be happy if more companies did decide to take chances by remaking old classics, but I'd imagine they're not easy to market at all.

And while i'm here, I want a River City Ransom remake/update with online play so we can form gangs. Now entering "DA SHUVVA KRU'S TURF!"

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Strell']Wtf.

Shuvva Kru's turf.[/quote]

Can't believe I missed that one#-o pure gold. It will be changed accordingly, but dammit, you just made me want this fake game even more.

I'd much rather see a new 2D Metroid game for a console than a Mario game, as I find Mario in 3D works out well.

Where as... Metroid Prime and such, I can't stand. So I've been Metroid-less for far too long.

[quote name='yukine']I'd much rather see a new 2D Metroid game for a console than a Mario game, as I find Mario in 3D works out well.

Where as... Metroid Prime and such, I can't stand. So I've been Metroid-less for far too long.[/quote]

I agree with that. I too been dying for a 2D metroid again. I did like the Prime games and thought Prime 3 was amazing...but I would love a return to the playforming old-school way where Metroid was built upon.

I remember that Sonic 2 Master System game. I had it on the Game Gear. The game is all but impossible in this sky level. I remember playing the game when I was like 8 up to the sky level with the hang gliders probably a hundred times but never getting further than that.

Also the first boss fight confused the shit out of me because I didn't realize you just had to avoid the bouncing ball thing. I kept trying to attack in every different way you could..

Also, an endlessly chatty GameStop manager (the most annoying type) replied to my comment about Mother 3 by saying "why did you go to all the trouble to play that on GBA? Mother 3 is on the release list for virtual console next year!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best part is I said "that is absolutely never happening" and he insisted I was wrong. :lol:

This week, Europe got Boogerman: A Pick and Flick Adventure - SEGA Genesis/800 Points, Impossible Mission II - Commodore 64/500 Points, and Last Ninja 3: Real Hatred is Timeless - Commodore 64/500 Points.

I wish Nintendo would have a Wii Shop Channel sale so I'd actually care about what is going on with their Shop. But Nintendo hasn't had a price cut for anything in a while (hardware, game software, digital software, accessories)

[quote name='KingBroly']I wish Nintendo would have a Wii Shop Channel sale so I'd actually care about what is going on with their Shop. But Nintendo hasn't had a price cut for anything in a while (hardware, game software, digital software, accessories)[/QUOTE]

Fixed :lol: :cool:

As my Wii is collecting dust:

WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO WIIWARE GAMES AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Dec. 15, 2008

Time may be getting tight for holiday shoppers, but the selection and excitement at the Wii™ Shop Channel just keeps on growing. There's no simpler way to access a brilliant variety of new and classic games, and they're all available for download directly to your Wii console-no ribbons or wrapping paper required. This week's additions bring a fresh mix of challenges for new and experienced players to enjoy: Slay a dragon in the season finale of Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, solve a multiplayer puzzle or race the clock on an arcade-style motorbike course.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare™

Strong Bad Episode 5: 8-Bit Is Enough (Telltale Games, 1 player, Rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and Older-Mild Cartoon Violence, Comic Mischief, Mild Suggestive Themes, 1,000 Wii Points): Trogdor, the beefy-armed dragon of legend, has shaken free from his video game and is running through the countryside, "burninating" everything in sight. With a dragon on the loose and 8-bit classics leaking into the real world, it's all fun and games until the proud land of Strong Badia falls to Trogdor's fiery wrath. Now Strong Bad must take back the night by sending this scorching menace back into his arcade cabinet once and for all. Just one problem: Does anybody know how to kill a dragon?

Big Kahuna Party (Reflexive Entertainment Inc., 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 700 Wii Points): Embark on a tropical adventure with the explosively charged Big Kahuna Party. Looking to make the ultimate party game, we started with a concept that's accessible to the whole family-the popular match-three game. On top of that, we crafted a unique multiplayer experience in which you can choose to work together to complete the challenging levels before the timer runs out, or go head-to-head and compete in a frenzy of fun. To top it off, we added 99 uniquely free-flowing levels, the challenging Tiki Pole, 20 hidden tropical sea creatures to unlock, the strategic Fish Net and more. The result is a family party game like no other, easy to pick up but impossible to put down. Play alone or with friends, and unleash the Tiki spirit within.

Virtual Console™

Enduro Racer™ (SEGA Master System, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): Based on the popular SEGA arcade game and redesigned for the SEGA Master System, Enduro Racer takes you on an intense set of adrenaline-designed courses containing diverse and rough terrain that will test your skills and reaction time. Ride as fast as you can to pass as many cars and bikes as possible while also avoiding obstacles and pitfalls such as debris on the road. Take jumps off ramps and try to keep your speed up, but make sure to keep an eye on your bike so it doesn't blow up in your face. Are you ready for the challenge?

"Time may be getting tight for holiday shoppers, but the selection and excitement at the Wii™ Shop Channel just keeps on growing."

Growing? One game releases for Virtual Console every week? Right...

fuck, Enduro Racer? Well....it could be worse....but it could also be far better. Where the hell is my Castlevania III? Europe has had it for a while now.

Well, at least I am more than busy enough with my DS and Wii. :)

Oh, as for Sonic 2 SMS, the kite level is a pain in the ass but the easiest way to get through it is trying to hold down on the pad while using left or right to glide. It takes some practice though. It took me forever to figure it out when I did have a GG when I was a kid.

The game brought back some memories though, man. I just need to figure out how to burn up 800 points now....

I haven't visited this thread in a long time, and sadly, I see that I've missed nary a thing. I really want a reason to fire up my Wii but every time I find myself reaching for the 360 controller instead.

The only thing i have played on my Wii recently were the Strong Bad Games and put in a couple games of World of Goo...other than that...360 is taking up my time. I should start Fire Emblem soon though......Ive been wanting to play that.

Oh, by the way gals.
There's an Elebits DS demo on the Nintendo Channel. I forget the full name..but yeah, you know what I'm talking about.

It's... ehhhh. It's neat. I def want to get it.. eventually. I was a bit sad when the demo did end because I wanted to play more, but, I can't see myself being excited enough to pay full price for.

Anywho, you all should at least check it out. It's nice to see that we've been getting a good demo or two up each week. (For the most part..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back