Wii Shop Channel Thread - 12/29 StarTropics II, Maboshi's Arcade, Cue Sports: Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, I'm pretty sure they see they're release of Super Mario RPG as "good enough". Though this year, they don't really have that big holiday release. So this year is as good a chance as any. As with all things related to Nintendo, cross your finger/don't get your hopes up.

It sure would be nice though. Then I won't fully regret not bringing my SNES with me to Cali.

Ogre Battle would be awesome.

This is probably a "no shit" thing for most of you but have you ever tried a 3-player race on the second track in Mario Kart 64? It's the Moo Moo Ranch track (or something like that) and everyone in the race will be going much faster. It is a blast.

[quote name='Halo05']Ogre Battle would be awesome.

This is probably a "no shit" thing for most of you but have you ever tried a 3-player race on the second track in Mario Kart 64? It's the Moo Moo Ranch track (or something like that) and everyone in the race will be going much faster. It is a blast.[/quote]

Agreed on Orge Battle , even though I have the PS1 version already.

Funny you mention that thing about Mario Kart 64. I remember some other retro review of the game mentioning that as one of the few highlights of the virtual console version of the game , as opposed to the Wii version.

What first party games aren't out yet? North American, of course.

Earthbound. Yoshi's Island. Majora's Mask.

:whistle2:? What else? There has to be a ton more. There just has to be. I just can't at the moment.
I guess we can still consider Super Mario Kart, Star Fox SNES, and maybe even Super Punch Out!!?

Pretendo didn't give us Earthbound for Christmas this year, but gave us Phantasy Star IV

WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO WIIWARE GAMES AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Dec. 22, 2008 - Did you think Grandma's house was the only travel destination on your itinerary this holiday season? Think again. Thanks to the Wii™ Shop Channel, you've got some extraordinary places to see, from tropical islands and exotic golf courses to a faraway planet in need of triumphant heroes. Whether you play solo or with family and friends, these awesome new offerings are sure to deliver an extra dose of holiday cheer.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare™

Tiki Towers™ (RealArcade, 1 -2 players, Rated E for Everyone-Comic Mischief, 500 Wii Points): Tiki Towers is a game of construction, destruction, problem-solving and monkeys. Reclaim the islands of your tribe by defeating a series of evil enemy chiefs. Work with your monkey friends to build towers out of bamboo poles, coconuts and vines. Match wits against the enemy chiefs bent on destroying your towers and driving you from the islands. Navigate levels filled with crazy building challenges, and deal with unfriendly wildlife and other environmental obstacles. Get your monkeys to chant for the BananaMana necessary to counter enemy attacks. Play in either single-player or two-player cooperative mode in this game where monkeys rule.

Fun! Fun! Minigolf (Shin'en Multimedia, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 900 Wii Points): Play minigolf with your friends in beautiful environments. Choose a character and turn your Wii Remote™ controller into a golf club. With its easy-to-use controls, all you need to do is aim, swing and see who's the best putter. Play 27 holes spread across America, Asia and Europe. Enjoy exotic locations all over the world. Go for gold in single-player mode, or invite your friends. Fun! Fun! Minigolf supports up to four players. You can use one to four Wii Remote controllers. Fun! Fun! Minigolf is the ultimate party game for everyone.

Virtual Console™

Phantasy Star™ IV (SEGA GENESIS, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Fantasy Violence, Mild Sexual Themes, 800 Wii Points): Phantasy Star IV is the fourth released game from SEGA's epic Phantasy Star series, one of SEGA's biggest RPGs on the SEGA GENESIS. In the year AW 2284, planet Motavia is once again plagued by strange biocreatures, and it's up to the brave men and women of the Hunters Guild to exterminate them. You are Chaz Ashley, a rookie Hunter straight out of training who is supported by Alys Brangwin-a crafty veteran whose good looks and prowess with the blade have earned her an awesome reputation. These two Hunters, along with a cast of supporting characters, will go beyond Motavia to unwittingly save their entire solar system.

[quote name='StarKnightX']
Funny you mention that thing about Mario Kart 64. I remember some other retro review of the game mentioning that as one of the few highlights of the virtual console version of the game , as opposed to the Wii version.[/QUOTE]

I read about the trick over at toasty frog and decided to give it a shot. I don't know if I can really endorse spending 1000 points just to see the madness of 3 player Moo Moo Ranch but if you have cheap points or live with a bunch of people to play MK64 with you, it's worth thinking about.

I prepared a checklist for this weeks VC release...

Do I have a 360 or a PS3? If yes, wait two months for the Sonic's Ultimate Sega Genesis Collection and get ~40 Genesis games for $30.

Do I have a PS2 or a PSP? If yes, go find the now very cheap Sega Genesis Collection. I think I saw it for $14.99 at Best Buy yesterday.

Do I only have a Wii? If yes, go spend 800 points on one of the best RPGs of the SNES/Genesis era.

:rofl: @ "FUN! FUN!"
Siiiiigh.

Been playing World of Goo lately & Space Invaders Extreme. Fun! They are decent quality games. We need MOAR quality.. like Lost Winds (of course, LONGER PLZ) and My Life as a King.. :drool:

[quote name='Halo05']I read about the trick over at toasty frog and decided to give it a shot. I don't know if I can really endorse spending 1000 points just to see the madness of 3 player Moo Moo Ranch but if you have cheap points or live with a bunch of people to play MK64 with you, it's worth thinking about.[/QUOTE]

Yeah , Toasty Frog , thats where I remember reading it from.

How much is World of Goo?

edit: never-mind, search function. $15, why do I have to be such a CAG :lol: I wish we'd get some sales like on PSN. I'll wait until I can get some Wii points cheap.

edit 2: Space Invaders Get Even for 500 points sounds worth it though.

What Japan is getting in January:

Famicom (500 Wii Points)
Detective Saburo Jinguuji: The Dangerous Duo Part One*
Getsufuu Maden
Zoids: Mokushiroku

Nintendo 64 (1,200 Wii Points!)
Super Smash Brothers

Master System (500 Wii Points)
Fantasy Zone II: Opa Opa no Namida

Mega Drive (600 Wii Points)
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair

PC Engine
Rastan Saga 2 *
Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu (800)
Spelunker mark 2 (800)
Champion Wrestler

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/vc/lineup.html?link=rss
http://www.siliconera.com/2008/12/26/super-smash-brothers-coming-to-virtual-console-next-year/

Yeah, they're getting SSB.

Wow, really? Another version of Monster Lair 3? There's already two out there (Dragon's Curse on the TG16 and Dynastic Hero on the TGCD) that are virtually identical. Why even bother releasing the 8bit crappy version? It's not even a situation where there's different enemies or dungeons or anything - it's 100% the same as Dragon's Curse but probably has worse musical effects.

Amazing.

Wtf@SSB as well, especially with the increased price. The linked siliconera article says that NoA "probably won't pull this same stunt" in terms of the increased price, and that Japan already had to pay a premium on Ocarina of Time back when it was released. I don't even see why they bothered to bring it out considering we have Brawl now.

That Xanadu game looks kind of fun in an der old skoolen way. Weird combination of side scrolling platformer with Ys's overhead battle system where you run into enemies. The graphics and animation are 100% mid-90s anime inspired RPG, which I guess could make for some fun. 'Course it'll never show up.

H'ah well.

Oh wait... OoT is $12 over in Japan too? :whistle2:s
Well, if it IS coming out for us.. then there could still be hope that it'll be a normal $10 game. $10 = Yes, $12 = No.

It's not so much "$2", it's the principle. :nottalking:

What better way to return than with an image macro? :D

HayGuysWhatsGoingOnInThisThread.jpg

[quote name='Strell']I don't even see why they bothered to bring it out considering we have Brawl now.[/QUOTE]

Have you not gone back and played Melee since Brawl came out? You wouldn't want a Smash Bros. instantly accessible from the Wii menu? You hate our freedom?

[quote name='snipegod']Have you not gone back and played Melee since Brawl came out?[/QUOTE]

No.

[quote name='snipegod']You wouldn't want a Smash Bros. instantly accessible from the Wii menu?[/QUOTE]

No.

[quote name='snipegod']You hate our freedom?[/QUOTE]

3dflags_can0001-0003a.gif

In the spirit of Gothic's return:

[quote name='snipegod']Have you not gone back and played Melee since Brawl came out?[/quote]

Not once, but to be fair, a good friend I play locally with when he's in town suggested we do this exact thing in order to experience the mindfuck it would provide, but then we just kept on playing Brawl.

You wouldn't want a Smash Bros. instantly accessible from the Wii menu?

If I had the space and points? Sure. But otherwise, not really. Though it would give me a chance to relive Kirby's More Powerful than Superman, Batman, Spiderman, and the Incredible Hulk put together days.

You hate our freedom?

Your face is freedom and I hate that, so does that count?

:]

[quote name='Strell']Wow, really? Another version of Monster Lair 3? There's already two out there (Dragon's Curse on the TG16 and Dynastic Hero on the TGCD) that are virtually identical. Why even bother releasing the 8bit crappy version? It's not even a situation where there's different enemies or dungeons or anything - it's 100% the same as Dragon's Curse but probably has worse musical effects.

Amazing.

[/quote]

It's sad, but Nintendo has been doing that all along with the VC. We've gotten tons of shumps that are pretty much the same, multiple versions of the "same" pinball game, and even Sonic for SMS after the Genesis version. Not sure what their rationale is for this when they have perfectly great games waiting to be released ().

[quote name='Strell']Wow, really? Another version of Monster Lair 3? There's already two out there (Dragon's Curse on the TG16 and Dynastic Hero on the TGCD) that are virtually identical. Why even bother releasing the 8bit crappy version? It's not even a situation where there's different enemies or dungeons or anything - it's 100% the same as Dragon's Curse but probably has worse musical effects.
[/quote]
I'm too lazy to look, but isn't the Wonder Boy version of this out on the VC too?

[quote name='snipegod']Have you not gone back and played Melee since Brawl came out? You wouldn't want a Smash Bros. instantly accessible from the Wii menu? You hate our freedom?[/QUOTE]

Yeah for how long??! It'll be like 200-300 blocks and when you need to download something, a game like THIS is the first to go!! :shame:

:cry:

[quote name='wii skiier']I'm too lazy to look, but isn't the Wonder Boy version of this out on the VC too?[/QUOTE]

It's a Wonder Boy game. After the initial platformer, they took it into a sort of action adventure direction, almost like a Metroid title. Monster World/Lair 3 = Wonder Boy 3 in terms of the SMS, so this is the final version that could be released. The other versions technically aren't Wonder Boy, but you wouldn't know that unless you are a huge nerd like myself.

Still, it's triple dipping on a title for the most inferior version. I guess I can give them a partial pass since all three versions are from three separate systems, but that's not enough to allow a full pardon.

[quote name='Strell']It's a Wonder Boy game. After the initial platformer, they took it into a sort of action adventure direction, almost like a Metroid title. Monster World/Lair 3 = Wonder Boy 3 in terms of the SMS, so this is the final version that could be released. The other versions technically aren't Wonder Boy, but you wouldn't know that unless you are a huge nerd like myself.

Still, it's triple dipping on a title for the most inferior version. I guess I can give them a partial pass since all three versions are from three separate systems, but that's not enough to allow a full pardon.[/quote]
I'm a pretty big nerd, and about that game in particular on SMS and TG-16 (I know, they're the same game). For some reason I thought there were four versions, but what I gather from the Wikipedia page at least is that my memory of a Genesis version is incorrect. It doesn't help that these games have so many different names and versions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Boy_III:_The_Dragon's_Trap

Well, there's a Wonder Boy in Monster Land title on the Genesis. It looks and plays identically to MW3 in terms of graphics and play control, but they are different in that you go to different areas and fight different monsters. At casual glance you could mistake them as the same, but you do have different objectives and such.

It's kinda like how Mario Bros 1 and Mario Bros 2 JP look the same but have radically different stuff goins' on.

After briefly having SSB on my menu a while ago, it isn't worth it. Sure it's nice to be able to use Kirby and not get beat every single game, but the channel takes up something like 270 blocks. (The hacked one, obviously there is no real channel yet)

edit: Strell, since your PM box is usually full, I'm not even going to bother putting this in a PM. In EarthBound, are the 1/128 items like
The Sword of Kings
worth it?

It's not full at the moment - I've been meaning to clean it out.

I have a buddy who has made it his quest to get every one of those things, and has top notch suggestions on how to best get them. Unfortunately it's all still hugely luck based, so you've just got to fight to get them. I always got the Sword of Kings, making sure to fight until it was in my possession. You'll gain a bunch of levels in the process and it's generally easy to get a drop on the Starmen, resulting in a first attack that - after a while - is all you'll need to kill them.

Everything else I never bothered with. I know the Magical Frying Pan is really good for Paula, and there's some nice defensive equipment in the Underworld (with the dinosaurs), but I never bothered with those.

The Gutsy Bat IS easily the best weapon for Ness. But I was confused on how to get it. Originally the manual/guide said that you had to fight Krakens, but you only encounter them (past the first one) in Ness's dream from the Mani Mani statue. And only then, you fight three at most, because they don't regenerate. So I'd sit there and reload an old save trying to get it. My aforementioned friend, however, says you get them from Bionic Krakens, which are in the last area of the game. I don't know how far you are, but you'll have a fairly good idea of what is the last area of the game.

So in short: Sword of Kings is worth it. Gutsy Bat is as well but I never tracked it down successfully. Everything else I didn't care about but I'm guessing they are quite worth it.

[quote name='snipegod']Have you not gone back and played Melee since Brawl came out? You wouldn't want a Smash Bros. instantly accessible from the Wii menu? You hate our freedom?[/quote]

My brothers have. As much as they like Brawl , they like Melee better in some ways. Mainly feeling like the game has better balance.

[quote name='Strell']Wow, really? Another version of Monster Lair 3? There's already two out there (Dragon's Curse on the TG16 and Dynastic Hero on the TGCD) that are virtually identical. Why even bother releasing the 8bit crappy version? It's not even a situation where there's different enemies or dungeons or anything - it's 100% the same as Dragon's Curse but probably has worse musical effects.[/quote]

[quote name='Strell']It's a Wonder Boy game. After the initial platformer, they took it into a sort of action adventure direction, almost like a Metroid title. Monster World/Lair 3 = Wonder Boy 3 in terms of the SMS, so this is the final version that could be released. The other versions technically aren't Wonder Boy, but you wouldn't know that unless you are a huge nerd like myself.

Still, it's triple dipping on a title for the most inferior version. I guess I can give them a partial pass since all three versions are from three separate systems, but that's not enough to allow a full pardon.[/quote]

[quote name='wii skiier']I'm a pretty big nerd, and about that game in particular on SMS and TG-16 (I know, they're the same game). For some reason I thought there were four versions, but what I gather from the Wikipedia page at least is that my memory of a Genesis version is incorrect. It doesn't help that these games have so many different names and versions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Boy_III:_The_Dragon's_Trap[/quote]

[quote name='Strell']Well, there's a Wonder Boy in Monster Land title on the Genesis. It looks and plays identically to MW3 in terms of graphics and play control, but they are different in that you go to different areas and fight different monsters. At casual glance you could mistake them as the same, but you do have different objectives and such.

It's kinda like how Mario Bros 1 and Mario Bros 2 JP look the same but have radically different stuff goins' on.[/quote]

To be even more nitpicky and specific:

Wonder Boy (Master System) = Adventure Island (NES/TG-16) [We have both versions of this one]
Wonder Boy 2 : Monster Land (Master System = Bikkuriman World (TG-16) [We have neither of these]
Wonder Boy 3 : Monsters Lair (Genesis) = Monsters Lair (TG-16) [We already have Monsters Lair]
Wonder Boy 4 : The Dragons Trap (Master System) = Dragons Curse (TG-16) [We already Dragons Curse]
Wonder Boy 5 : Monster World (Master System/Genesis) = Dynastic Hero (TG-16) [We already have both of these]
Monster World 4 (Genesis) [We don't have this]

Personally I'm hoping we do get Wonder Boy 3 over here , even though we already have the TG-16 equivalent , if only because I want the original "Wonder Boy" versions of all the games , and not the Hudson remix versions. Which means I'm also waiting for Wonder Boy 2 and 4 still.

[quote name='StarKnightX']
Wonder Boy 4 : The Dragons Trap (Master System) = Dragons Curse (TG-16) [We already Dragons Curse]

Wonder Boy 5 : Monster World (Master System/Genesis) = Dynastic Hero (TG-16) [We already have both of these]
[/QUOTE]

Wait....Dynastic Hero is equivalent to Dragon's Trap (SMS) and Dragon's Curse (TG16). WB5 I thought was the one that didn't make it to the states, where you control a girl.

Hardcore Gaming 101 keeps this all in order, I can't remember it all.

[quote name='Strell']Wait....Dynastic Hero is equivalent to Dragon's Trap (SMS) and Dragon's Curse (TG16). WB5 I thought was the one that didn't make it to the states, where you control a girl.

Hardcore Gaming 101 keeps this all in order, I can't remember it all.[/quote]

Shoulda checked your source before you mentioned that , cause if you did you'd have seen that I was right.:cool:;)

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/wonderboy/wonderboy.htm

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/wonderboy/wonderboy2.htm

[quote name='lilboo']I want Mario Party: The Original.

Someone make this happen.[/quote]

I agree. I want the third one as well. I can live without the second , although I wouldn't complain if we got it.

[quote name='lilboo']I want Mario Party: The Original.

Someone make this happen.[/quote]
Not going to happen without some effort on Nintendo's part, meaning that it's not going to happen. Nintendo got sued because a shitload of people got blisters from playing those fucking analog stick rotating games. fuck those games. That's why in future MP games they were replaced with equally annoying but easier to pull off button mashing games.

[quote name='Doomed']Not going to happen without some effort on Nintendo's part, meaning that it's not going to happen. Nintendo got sued because a shitload of people got blisters from playing those fucking analog stick rotating games. fuck those games. That's why in future MP games they were replaced with equally annoying but easier to pull off button mashing games.[/quote]

Well for one thing the gamecube and wii analog sticks are much studier and more comfortable to use then the 64 control stick. Maybe they could allow you to shake/rotate the wiimote/nunchuck as an alternative?

Lets correct that a little bit. Shitload is incorrect, one fucking soccer mom complained moaned and griped about it because her son bruised his hand playing Mario Party. Furthermore, the lawsuit was dropped. Nintendo, along with Wal-Mart, sent out gloves that can be used to be played with the game if you feared of getting a blister.

Which, you know, it did give a bit of hurt for people who played it excessively. I sure did when I was a kid. :D

Anyway, most people didn't take it seriously, the media never caught on with it, and it is more or less forgotten history.

This IS Nintendo, they WILL release these games. They want money, end of story.

The main reason the Mario Party series might not pop up is because they all are too similar ... they might not want to cannibalize sales of Mario Party 8 and its sequels with downloadable versions at a fifth of the price.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Maybe they could allow you to shake/rotate the wiimote/nunchuck as an alternative?[/quote]
A WORSE replacement. Are you seriously suggesting WAGGLE? As for the one soccer mom comment, sure, it was just her that complained, but who here DOESN'T hate pedal power/whatever the others were called? Even worse than winning at those stick games were almost winning and fucking up, leaving you with no reward and a hurting hand. :bomb:

[quote name='Doomed']A WORSE replacement. Are you seriously suggesting WAGGLE? As for the one soccer mom comment, sure, it was just her that complained, but who here DOESN'T hate pedal power/whatever the others were called? Even worse than winning at those stick games were almost winning and fucking up, leaving you with no reward and a hurting hand. :bomb:[/quote]

I disagree. Are you saying that shaking the remote is worse than mashing your palm against the control stick and grinding it wildly until either you win , lose , or your hand cant take anymore? Although the first Mario Party was possibly the best and most balanced , the stick games sucked , big time.

The stick mini games in MP1 would feel different if you used the nunchuck. It's easier to use your thumb to spin it fast, vs HAVING to set the controller on your lap and using your palm :lol:

Well, one more update for the year... :whistle2:?

I'm going to guess 2 WiiWare titles as usual with one VC game. I predict a mediocre/OK VC game with 1 shovelware WiiWare game with one "That looks kinda good, but that's too much money" WiiWare game.

Am I right?
Let's wait and find out! :whee:

[quote name='lilboo'] I had one of them blisters in the middle of my palm. All my friends had them.
[/quote]
That's a lot of friction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back