Wii Shop Thread: ***FINAL FANTASY 3 IS OUT ON THE VC***

[quote name='MorPhiend']I was hoping this would be announced today. Now I can finally have more use for my 4GB SD card! Yay!

Except I can't. This update breaks certain "abilities".[/QUOTE]

Its all good, "abilities" will be reconciled with the new firmware in due time.

fuckin finally.
Updating now.
So I guess I'll keep channels on the system. (Like Web Browser, Check Mii Out, lol)
It's taking awhile to update. Question. Can you now download directly to an SD card?

[quote name='lilboo']fuckin finally.
Updating now.
So I guess I'll keep channels on the system. (Like Web Browser, Check Mii Out, lol)
It's taking awhile to update. Question. Can you now download directly to an SD card?[/quote]

Yes. In the Shop Channel you should have an option to select Wii Internal or SD card now.

I'm anxious to try this out.

This is pretty bad ass. I am a bit annoyed, though. It just.. it's just.. this.. this should have always have been. It's such a simple, SIMPLE thing..and yet, we waited/cried/complained for 2.5 years.

I'm not complaining now. I am actually happy about this! VERY much actually.

This situation reminds me of copy/paste on the iPhone, only the Wii folks haven't been defending Nintendo through the whole affair. The rejoicing is that much cooler given the criticism from the Wii's VC fan base, unlike the Apple iPhone fanbois, who've gone from a few years of saying, "You don't need copy/paste! Gawd, it's a feature!" to saying after iPhone 3.0, "I CAN CUTS N PASTE HOW YOU LIKE ME NOW! THX APPLE YOU ROCK!"

I'd just like to thank and congratulate those of you who took time to assemble internet petitions threatening physical harm to Iwata and his family if he did not allow games to be run off the SD card. Top flight work!

Hm, so if you do the update and already have an SD card in the slot, it automatically saves whatever you have onto it? Looks that way to me. I have a 2GB in there now, but I'm going to upgrade to a 16GB for a longer-term solution. I wonder if I can just image the old card to the new card?

I don't know where you got that idea, gunm. I've got plenty of VC games on my system that remained there after the update. I'm really doubting that you could slip one in there and get everything sent over.

I've actually thought a bit about this today - ultimately I'd like to get a bigger card now that it is essentially endless, minimum 16GB if not twice that. I figure it's best to prepare for the future. Problem is that I'm trying to figure out how I'll get my existing SD card inventory onto the new one. I imagine I can do it with a computer, but we need someone to research this. Besides, I need a faster card anyway.

Spent some time downloading stuff off the 'shop and saving it to my SD card, and then cleared up some internal memory so now I can run basically anything from the card.

This also brings up new things to consider: Does Nintendo increase the size of Wiiware games now? Will more games utilize things like custom soundtracks by pulling files from the card? Does this open up more possibility for things like movie streaming services and the like? How quickly will hackers break this wide open and piracy increases?

So many questions.

[quote name='Strell'] Problem is that I'm trying to figure out how I'll get my existing SD card inventory onto the new one. I imagine I can do it with a computer, but we need someone to research this. Besides, I need a faster card anyway.
[/quote]
Wait, what? I can't tell if you are joking or not. If not, can't you just...use a computer like you say? I've got 2 1GB cards I use interchangeably right now since I had an extra lying around and figuredd it couldn't hurt to have a backup. Whenever I think of it I just copy files from one to my hard drive and then over to the other card.

I know that I can, but I never venture guesses on things I've never tried.

I.e. I don't know if I just copy and paste that it'll work, since sometimes there's formatting concerns to worry about, or other nonsense I've never dealt with before.

If it's just as simple and dragging folders, then that's all I need to know. This is me explaining that I've never done X before and won't know how to do it until it's a bridge worth crossing. And since it now IS a bridge worth crossing, I'll deal with it once I get a larger capacity card.

But if it's just that simple, cool. That's all I need to know.

[quote name='Strell']I know that I can, but I never venture guesses on things I've never tried.

I.e. I don't know if I just copy and paste that it'll work, since sometimes there's formatting concerns to worry about, or other nonsense I've never dealt with before.

If it's just as simple and dragging folders, then that's all I need to know. This is me explaining that I've never done X before and won't know how to do it until it's a bridge worth crossing. And since it now IS a bridge worth crossing, I'll deal with it once I get a larger capacity card.

But if it's just that simple, cool. That's all I need to know.[/QUOTE]

Unless Nintendo changed how it works, it should work since it currently works with 3.4U and prior firmware. I keep a backup of my SD card on the computer. You just need the proper formatting and folder structure. I would buy the new card, have the Wii format it, then just delete the folders it made and drag and drop your old folders onto the newly formatted card.

does this update stop homebrew from working? should i be worried that i wont be able to play my tatsunoko vs capcom japanese import... i just bought it in jan for about 80 bucks too. :(

[quote name='Strell']I don't know where you got that idea, gunm. I've got plenty of VC games on my system that remained there after the update. I'm really doubting that you could slip one in there and get everything sent over.[/quote]

Yeah, what I am saying is, the update apparently copied everything from my system onto the card already...so now I have copies both on my Internal storage and my SD card.

Unless I'm not looking at it right.

I click on the SD card icon on the main Wii Channels screen and I see all my VC games. When I click on a game, it asks me if I want to play off the SD card. Wish there was a little better info that was included with the update and how to use the new features. :p

Anyway, I can't currently copy my third party VC stuff from Internal to SD card, so I'm confused.

The update didn't copy my channels and games onto my SD card automatically, so I doubt yours did gunm. Any chance you (or someone else in the house) had copied them there before? I did have a few of our channels/games on the card, but that's because I had put them there a while back as a backup.

[quote name='Strell']
I've actually thought a bit about this today - ultimately I'd like to get a bigger card now that it is essentially endless, minimum 16GB if not twice that. I figure it's best to prepare for the future. Problem is that I'm trying to figure out how I'll get my existing SD card inventory onto the new one. I imagine I can do it with a computer, but we need someone to research this. Besides, I need a faster card anyway.

Spent some time downloading stuff off the 'shop and saving it to my SD card, and then cleared up some internal memory so now I can run basically anything from the card.

This also brings up new things to consider: Does Nintendo increase the size of Wiiware games now? Will more games utilize things like custom soundtracks by pulling files from the card? Does this open up more possibility for things like movie streaming services and the like? How quickly will hackers break this wide open and piracy increases?

So many questions.[/QUOTE]

Question: What would you need a faster card for? I have a regular ol' 2GB SD card..and it takes just a moment for the games to load on the menu, and another moment for the actual game to play.

Also, curious again, what do you mean by preparing for the future? I have 55+ games on my 2GB SD card with 880 pics and I have ~6800 blocks left. For me, I think it's safe to say that I'll have lots of space left.

Unless, you are onto something and they DO release much larger games. Does this open up the possibility of things like.. Sega Saturn..Dreamcast games on the VC? I mean, I'd imagine Dreamcast games would be rather large, but now would it be an issue?

[quote name='crunchewy']The update didn't copy my channels and games onto my SD card automatically, so I doubt yours did gunm. Any chance you (or someone else in the house) had copied them there before? I did have a few of our channels/games on the card, but that's because I had put them there a while back as a backup.[/QUOTE]

It never automatically moved my stuff. Hmm. :whistle2:k

Did anyone notice that Arcade games are live in the store??? Prices are 500 and 600 points currently. Titles are: Gaplus (600), Mappy (500), Star Force (500), The Tower of Druaga (500).

EDIT: also there is a Wii Speak Channel update available in the store that adds SDHC support to it. You have to view your previous downloads to see the listing for it and download the update.

Also Namco has announced upcoming arcade releases (at least in Japan). I read this on vc-reviews.com (some already released as note above):

Assault
Burning Force
Cosmo Gang the Puzzle (Remade into Pac-Attack outside Japan)
Cosmo Gang the Video
Cyber Sled
Dragon Buster
Dragon Saber
Dragon Spirit
Finest Hour
Galaga '88 (Ported to the TG16 as Galaga '90)
Genpei Toumaden (This is the predecessor of Samurai Ghost)
Hopping Mappy
Knuckleheads
Mappy
Marvel Land
Numan Athletics
Pac-Mania
Phelios
Rolling Thunder
Sky Kid
Splatterhouse
Starblade
The Tower of Druaga
Wonder Momo
Xevious
Youkai Douchuuki

People wanting to keep full control of their console shouldn't update, no matter what appears to be working afterwards. You don't know what doors you close in the future due to your ignorance now. Nintendo are a sneaky crew. As I predicted, there are already tools by waninkoko to circumvent possible future problems that have been released this morning. I won't provide a link because that will end my ambiguosity (it's called Google, people). But I personally am still going to wait a few more hours to let these tools be publicly tested and see what the people think before I make a move.

[quote name='crunchewy']Did anyone notice that Arcade games are live in the store??? Prices are 500 and 600 points currently. Titles are: Gaplus (600), Mappy (500), Star Force (500), The Tower of Druaga (500).[/QUOTE]ummm... That was announced yesterday. But good eye on catching the Wii Speak update. First I have heard of it.

And why do quick edit boxes say "Vote Now" instead of "Post". This has irked me for some time, but I am just now saying something...

Sorry to bring up negativity to this thread when it's been nothing but positive, BUT, 500-600 points for these arcade games are.. eh.

Now if they were like arcade games such as..The Simpsons, X-Men, TMNT...etc. Then that's different :cool:

[quote name='lilboo']Sorry to bring up negativity to this thread when it's been nothing but positive, BUT, 500-600 points for these arcade games are.. eh.

Now if they were like arcade games such as..The Simpsons, X-Men, TMNT...etc. Then that's different :cool:[/QUOTE]

They are old games, but if the NES ports of such and similar games are going for 500, they have to at least match that for arcade perfectness. I'm sure more technologically advanced arcade games will be coming.

And as someone mentioned and as I predicted when VC was originally announced, I'm sure Saturn emulation is possible with Wii. Maybe this will open it up.

[quote name='lilboo']Question: What would you need a faster card for? I have a regular ol' 2GB SD card..and it takes just a moment for the games to load on the menu, and another moment for the actual game to play.[/quote]

It seems like the speeds of all cards have been improved with the firmware update as well. I have an older 1GB SD card which caused WiiWare titles to take several minutes to load. Now with the new firmware, it only takes about 3-8 seconds. I might upgrade in the future if I see it becoming an issue, but for now 1GB is more than enough for me.

[quote name='lilboo']Unless, you are onto something and they DO release much larger games. Does this open up the possibility of things like.. Sega Saturn..Dreamcast games on the VC? I mean, I'd imagine Dreamcast games would be rather large, but now would it be an issue?[/QUOTE]

The only real limitation is obviously the memory actually on the Wii, unless they get creative with how games are split up. They could raise the imposed limit of WiiWare titles, but I imagine the limitation could only be raised to something like 200~mb. I actually hope the limitation is raised slightly, if only to allow some higher quality games on the system. It's amazing what can be done with the limit now, but I believe that some developers would benefit from a little more breathing room.

Myself, I'd rather play Mappy then any of those games you listed lilboo. However, I too question the value. If they'd priced it at, say, 250 points, I'd be all over it.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']It seems like the speeds of all cards have been improved with the firmware update as well. I have an older 1GB SD card which caused WiiWare titles to take several minutes to load. Now with the new firmware, it only takes about 3-8 seconds. I might upgrade in the future if I see it becoming an issue, but for now 1GB is more than enough for me.[/quote]

I have so much stuff on my 1GB card and still tons of room to spare. I can't see needing more than a 2GB card for the life of the Wii unless they do start providing CD-based games because of the internal memory problem you mention here:

[quote name='BlueLobstah']The only real limitation is obviously the memory actually on the Wii, unless they get creative with how games are split up. They could raise the imposed limit of WiiWare titles, but I imagine the limitation could only be raised to something like 200~mb. I actually hope the limitation is raised slightly, if only to allow some higher quality games on the system. It's amazing what can be done with the limit now, but I believe that some developers would benefit from a little more breathing room.[/quote]
200 MB is now feasible. I don't see how the hell they would get a 650MB Saturn game on the internal memory ever.

The words "Saturn" and "Dreamcast" are being tossed about carelessly here. Please to not do so for the sake of those of us with fragile constitutions, unless there's something of substance to back all of this implied rumormongering.

I think perfect Saturn emulation is still a long way away. Even SEGA has said that Saturn titles are incredibly difficult to emulate properly.

[quote name='wii skiier']I have so much stuff on my 1GB card and still tons of room to spare. I can't see needing more than a 2GB card for the life of the Wii unless they do start providing CD-based games because of the internal memory problem you mention here:[/QUOTE]

umm... Well, that's you. I have had 3 out of 4 GB on my SD card filled for a month or two. And I would be out of room if I had been able to load games from SD previous to now. As soon as I have a way to use this update safely, I will be using up a bunch of my stored up 2000 Wii Point cards. I have no doubt I will need to move to SDHC soon for more capacity.

It's kind of like 12 years ago when HDDs started being available that were not only 10's of GBs, but starting to reach 100GB. People didn't think there was any purpose. Now a laptop is a crappy deal if it comes with less than 200 or 250 GB. Same with 3-4 years ago when TB technology was coming into view for consumers. People thought the notion was ridiculous. But people have found ways to usefully utilize all of that space. The same will happen with a 32GB SDHC and the Wii. That is why I have always hoped for USB HDD support instead of SDHC. Allow a multiple 100GB HDD to stream data to the Wii and the possibilities become endless.

But that's where the current problem lies anyhow. This is not a streaming solution. This is an automated copy/paste hack job. I don't know if they think it'll be more apt to stop HB or not, but if they do they are wrong. Regardless, this shows some progress and I wouldn't be surprised if pressure from devs (for more space to work with than NAND) pushes Nintendo to eventually do this right and allow booting straight from the SD.

If you have 240 (12 spots x 20 pages in the SD channel) 40mb WiiWare games, that would take up less than 10GB. If they increase the cap on downloads, you could theoretically need a 16 or 32GB card, but not until.

[quote name='botticus']If you have 240 (12 spots x 20 pages in the SD channel) 40mb WiiWare games, that would take up less than 10GB. If they increase the cap on downloads, you could theoretically need a 16 or 32GB card, but not until.[/QUOTE]

If that's in reference to what I said, I already have 3/4 of my 4 GB card taken up. If I updated to 4.0, there would be enough that I want to fill the rest of it (I haven't been buying WiiWare/VC for a few months because I realized what big douches Nintendo were being).

It's true that you couldn't fill 32GB with stuff very reasonably right now, but I didn't say you could. What I did say is if technology opens a path, even though currently unusable, people will find a way to use it. If 200, 300 or even 400MB games/apps start being released, you can guarantee that soon enough people will be crying that 32GB is too small.

[quote name='crunchewy']The update didn't copy my channels and games onto my SD card automatically, so I doubt yours did gunm. Any chance you (or someone else in the house) had copied them there before? I did have a few of our channels/games on the card, but that's because I had put them there a while back as a backup.[/quote]

Maybe, I really don't remember. You can tell I use my Wii a lot, lol.

If I didn't already have Super Punch Out on my Fight Night disc, I would get it next week.

[quote name='lilboo']
Also, curious again, what do you mean by preparing for the future? ...

Unless, you are onto something and they DO release much larger games. Does this open up the possibility of things like.. Sega Saturn..Dreamcast games on the VC? I mean, I'd imagine Dreamcast games would be rather large, but now would it be an issue?
[/QUOTE]

Dreamcast emulation is almost certainly out of the question. The emulator has to be many times more powerful than the original hardware in question. The 360/PS3 could handle that - there's no way the Wii could. (Side note: Rez/Virtual On going to XBLA is sort of the same thing.)

Saturn emulation is theoretically possible, but still highly theoretically. SL4IN pointed out how Sega said it's a tough issue.

The idea though is that Nintendo could push their machines as these sort of "jack of all trades" when it came to emulation. If the supposed DSi VC came to fruition and Sega got on board, Nintendo could try to get the other portables of the past on it (Lynx, NeoGeo Pocket, Wonderswan) and market it as the ultimate handheld. There was speculation they'd do that with the Wii also - if someone had Saturn discs, it could run them directly.

It's something to think about - I don't actually see it happening anytime soon.

As for "the future" comment, I meant more generically. More photos from Animal Crossing, MP3s, potentially a lot of VC games, etc. I just like to be prepared is all.

[quote name='KingBroly']Final Fantasy's also coming to the Virtual Console. I and IV in the US/EU, I-V in Japan. No mention of VI.[/quote]Why wouldn't they bring all I-VI on over. They've been localized for the GBA. I just assume we'd be gettting I,II,III,IV,V, and VI.

[quote name='Strell']I've actually thought a bit about this today - ultimately I'd like to get a bigger card now that it is essentially endless, minimum 16GB if not twice that. I figure it's best to prepare for the future. Problem is that I'm trying to figure out how I'll get my existing SD card inventory onto the new one. I imagine I can do it with a computer, but we need someone to research this. Besides, I need a faster card anyway.

Spent some time downloading stuff off the 'shop and saving it to my SD card, and then cleared up some internal memory so now I can run basically anything from the card.[/quote]

[quote name='lilboo']Question: What would you need a faster card for? I have a regular ol' 2GB SD card..and it takes just a moment for the games to load on the menu, and another moment for the actual game to play.
[/quote]if you sit down to turn on your Wii and it's not sitting at the Gradius start screen then it's not fast enough.

[quote name='Wolfkin']Why wouldn't they bring all I-VI on over. They've been localized for the GBA. I just assume we'd be gettting I,II,III,IV,V, and VI.
[/quote]
I'm not really familiar with the process, but I would imagine that using a new translation with the NES ROMs wouldn't be trivial - string size, actually editing the text into the ROM, etc.

i just finally bought tetris party today cause i been out of space and stopped shopping in a long time. it is great being able to play them off the sd card.

[quote name='Wolfkin']Why wouldn't they bring all I-VI on over. They've been localized for the GBA. I just assume we'd be gettting I,II,III,IV,V, and VI.
[/quote]

You seem to forget that import titles released so far haven't gotten translated on the Virtual Console. Do you honestly think Nintendo or Square would do that? The answer is no.

And clearly the reason VI was not announced for either Virtual Console is because of an inevitable remake for the Wii, to be announced at E3.

Neat, just updated and HBC still works so i can still play TvC. I only have a 2 gig card but it should be plenty for now. I dont bother with any VC stuff, just Wiiware.

Saw this on GN, and thought that it might be interesting enough to post here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXEwDsssA94

If you're watching with CAG's embedded player, then as the old saying goes, "Well, isn't that cute; BUT IT'S WRONG!!!" You need to click the link above the embedded video and choose the HD option at the video's page to see what this is all about.

Moar (The My Life as a King video looks good)

Japan's VC releases for April show Majora's Mask

I guess they've finally worked in emulation for the expansion pak. I forget what other titles utilized it outside of Donkey Kong 64 and Perfect Dark, and you know the latter won't show up.

Now they just need to get the SuperFX chip emulated properly, and then by golly, Nintendo's cadre of paid programmers will almost be equal to that of basement nerds the world over.

So it's been a good week in VC/Wiiware related news:
  • SD stprage/run games from the card
  • Super Punchout!! Monday release
  • Arcade game platform announced/released
  • Confirmation of Majora's Mask/expansion pak emulation
  • New titles announced such as "My Life as a Dark Lord" from Square

[quote name='Strell']I guess they've finally worked in emulation for the expansion pak. I forget what other titles utilized it outside of Donkey Kong 64 and Perfect Dark, and you know the latter won't show up.[/QUOTE]

List of Expansion Pak games: The only ones requiring the pak were Donkey Kong 64, Perfect Dark, Starcraft 64, and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

There are quite a few interesting titles on there for Japan next month (Didn't they get Rondo of Blood last April):
Famicom
Takeshi's Challenge - I guess it isn't surprising that they saved this one for April Fool's Day, since it's Beat Takeshi's big joke on gamers.
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse

Super Famicom
Der Wienerschnitzel Langrisser (AKA Langrisser II remake) - A classic SRPG series; The second game recently had a finished fan translation for the Genesis
Kirby's Dream Land 3

Nintendo 64
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Master System
Phantasy Star - When this releases in the other regions, the main series will be complete on VC. It's still not up to the standard of the complete collection that was released in Japan for the PS2, and not as good a value as the Sonic's UGC for the PS3/360, but it'll still nice to have every main game on the VC.

PC Engine
Ninja Gaiden - It's reportedly not as good as the NES version we already have, but there's an English language option that is accessed through a code, so it has a chance of coming here as a TG-16 import title.

Virtual Console Arcade
Genpei Toma Den
Space Invaders

I've noticed there is a lot of interest in a VC edition of Majora's Mask, were there issues with the Collector's edition version? I've never played the game to completion, so I never encountered any issues.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I've noticed there is a lot of interest in a VC edition of Majora's Mask, were there issues with the Collector's edition version? I've never played the game to completion, so I never encountered any issues.[/QUOTE]

Emulation was terrible from what I know.

I tried playing Ocarina from the GC compilation, and it was just aggravating. Every time you opened up the inventory menu, there was a few seconds of lag. This alone was a total chore, so added emulation issues would have made it much more annoying.

Yeah, the CE version had some slowdown/music issues/freezing. Or so I recall.

I mostly just recall being pissed at running out of time after almost finishing the water dungeon or something and not coming back to the game for a month.

bread's done
Back