Wii Shop Thread: ***FINAL FANTASY 3 IS OUT ON THE VC***

[quote name='vherub']super punchout on the vc is cool, but I was hoping it be a free unlockable in the upcoming game instead[/QUOTE]

haha! delightful!

[quote name='Strell']Emulation was terrible from what I know.

I tried playing Ocarina from the GC compilation, and it was just aggravating. Every time you opened up the inventory menu, there was a few seconds of lag. This alone was a total chore, so added emulation issues would have made it much more annoying.[/QUOTE]

I've played Ocarina of Time from start to finish, but didn't notice any major issues. But of course, I never played the N64 version extensively, so I didn't have anything to compare it to.

[quote name='The Crotch']Yeah, the CE version had some slowdown/music issues/freezing. Or so I recall.

I mostly just recall being pissed at running out of time after almost finishing the water dungeon or something and not coming back to the game for a month.[/QUOTE]

I could just never finish Majora's Mask because of the time limit. I don't deny that some of the ideas were very fresh to the series, I just hated having all my progress reset every 3 days and having to do some of it all over again. I think I pretty much made it to the water temple in both of my play throughs and eventually gave up, so maybe I never encountered the emulation issues that people seem to have.

Good to see that it's coming though, since I know a lot of people are looking forward to it.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']
I could just never finish Majora's Mask because of the time limit. I don't deny that some of the ideas were very fresh to the series, I just hated having all my progress reset every 3 days and having to do some of it all over again. I think I pretty much made it to the water temple in both of my play throughs and eventually gave up, so maybe I never encountered the emulation issues that people seem to have.
[/QUOTE]

From what I remember, there were two songs that could be played that allowed the reversal and the advancement of time by like 12 hours, so you could move the clock back 12 hours if you needed to.

I played it all the way through on the N64 and it was something I almost did grudgingly. There were all sorts of weird animation hiccups that annoyed me and adding the time element and the mask collection felt ever-so-tedious. I liked every other version of Zelda that I've played more than MM - even Adventure of Link, though I (mercifully) never played the CD-I games. There was one fairy in I think the water temple that I was never able to find, though, which is the only thing I didn't find in MM, and it kind of haunts me, so I have a feeling that I'll be playing it again at some point. I have a strong feeling, though, that the entire time that I'm playing it I'll be saying, "WHY ISN'T THIS TWILIGHT PRINCESS?!".

I did like some of the masks, though, as it lent a Mega-Man feel.

[quote name='vherub']super punchout on the vc is cool, but I was hoping it be a free unlockable in the upcoming game instead[/QUOTE]
From my post in the NPC topic:
[quote name='Cao Cao']For your answer, I refer you to a part of Jeremy Parish's Animal Crossing: Wild World 1up review:
533.gif
[/quote]

I really liked Majora's Mask, it's not in my top three Zeldas but I certainly enjoyed it more than I did TP. The thing about MM, though, is that the cart was supposedly glitchy and the CE version was just a freakin trainwreck of freezes. So if they want to re-release this via the VC, good on them, they just need to keep in mind that some of us aren't gonna fall for this a third time around.

I played through OOT and MM on the CE and never once had it lock up or slow down on me. Maybe I was lucky. Maybe I got a good disc. But I haven't tried it on Wii once, though.

The good thing about MM is that you can actually replay dungeon bosses if need be (The only one that should be replayed is Goht because you can get the Gilded Sword through the Goron Race that way). As well as another mask...or two.

[quote name='Cao Cao']
Master System
Phantasy Star - When this releases in the other regions, the main series will be complete on VC. It's still not up to the standard of the complete collection that was released in Japan for the PS2, and not as good a value as the Sonic's UGC for the PS3/360, but it'll still nice to have every main game on the VC.
[/quote]
I'm ignoring boring Zelda talk to remind everyone that the original Phantasy Star is still one of the best games ever made. Take that, elves!

PS I have no idea if Link is an elf but I think he has pointy ears and that makes him as good as an elf in my book. Which is to say he is no good in my book. You should read my book sometime. It does not hold elves in a high regard.

[quote name='Cao Cao']
Master System
Phantasy Star - When this releases in the other regions, the main series will be complete on VC. It's still not up to the standard of the complete collection that was released in Japan for the PS2, and not as good a value as the Sonic's UGC for the PS3/360, but it'll still nice to have every main game on the VC.
[/quote]

Question since I'm too lazy to look. All 4 Phantasy Star games are on Sonic's UGC? Cause I know the PS2/PSP collection only had 2 , 3 and 4.

[quote name='Strell']Emulation was terrible from what I know.

I tried playing Ocarina from the GC compilation, and it was just aggravating. Every time you opened up the inventory menu, there was a few seconds of lag. This alone was a total chore, so added emulation issues would have made it much more annoying.[/quote]

Since I love to be nitpicky , was it the Master Question compilation or the Collectors Edition one? Although I doubt the emulation would really be any different between the two I have both and just kinda struck me as curious.

[quote name='yeah-yeah']From what I remember, there were two songs that could be played that allowed the reversal and the advancement of time by like 12 hours, so you could move the clock back 12 hours if you needed to.

I played it all the way through on the N64 and it was something I almost did grudgingly. There were all sorts of weird animation hiccups that annoyed me and adding the time element and the mask collection felt ever-so-tedious. I liked every other version of Zelda that I've played more than MM - even Adventure of Link, though I (mercifully) never played the CD-I games. There was one fairy in I think the water temple that I was never able to find, though, which is the only thing I didn't find in MM, and it kind of haunts me, so I have a feeling that I'll be playing it again at some point. I have a strong feeling, though, that the entire time that I'm playing it I'll be saying, "WHY ISN'T THIS TWILIGHT PRINCESS?!".

I did like some of the masks, though, as it lent a Mega-Man feel.[/quote]

There was no song that reversed time other than the one that reset your 3 day time limit. There was a song that doubled the speed of time , a song that slowed the speed of time by half , and a song that jumped you forward about half a day. The first was good when you needed to wait for a specific time , the second was pretty much necessary the entire game , the last was only really used alongside the first.

I liked Majoras Mask , although some of the errand running and fetch quests did admitidly get repetitive. A lot of the quests in the game were pretty fun and goofy though.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Question since I'm too lazy to look. All 4 Phantasy Star games are on Sonic's UGC? Cause I know the PS2/PSP collection only had 2 , 3 and 4.[/QUOTE]

Yep, Sonic's UGC had all four Phantasy Star games, with the original Phantasy Star serving as one of the unlockable Master System games. However, the PS2 collection I was referring to was not the Sega Genesis Collection released in the West, it was a collection that was only released in Japan for the PS2, "Sega Ages Vol. 32: Phantasy Star Complete Collection"

This Sega Ages title lives up to its name, as it includes all four of the main Phantasy Star games, along with all of the PSII text adventures and the two Game Gear Phantasy Star games. The four main games are surprisingly import-friendly, as they include both Japanese and English language options. But wait, there's more! Along with the standard "special features" fare (Art galleries and whatnot), the developer included a bunch of bonus options for changing things like the display (Progressive Scan, adding scan-lines, etc.), the difficulty (All four main games have "Easy" and "Very Easy" difficulty options that adds a multiplier for experience and meseta; double for easy, triple for very easy), and speed. [HG101 Article]

Apparently, M2, the developer for the Sega Ages "collection" titles (Space Harrier II Collection, Monster World Collection, Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box, Phantasy Star Complete Collection, Fantasy Zone Complete Collection, etc.) has been the one working on the emulation for Sega's Virtual Console releases (Master System, MegaDrive, Arcade).

[quote name='Cao Cao']Yep, Sonic's UGC had all four Phantasy Star games, with the original Phantasy Star serving as one of the unlockable Master System games. However, the PS2 collection I was referring to was not the Sega Genesis Collection released in the West, it was a collection that was only released in Japan for the PS2, "Sega Ages Vol. 32: Phantasy Star Complete Collection" [/quote]

I knew that you were referring to the sega ages collection , I was just asking about the Genesis one.:) It would be nice to have all the Phantasy Star Games all in one place , since currently I have the Sega Genesis one that has 2 , 3 , and 4 , as well as the GBA collection that has 1 , 2 and 3.

Interesting info on the sega ages phantasy star collection though , I didn't know some of that other stuff about the set.

Interesting that my 16 gig SDHC card works perfectly on the wii dashboard with all my wiiware titles on it with TONS of space left, but it doesnt work at all under HBC. So gonna need my 2 gig stick laying around for when i want to boot up TvC, otherwise im super happy with the 16 gig, i have like 100,000+ blocks left.

I posed this question in another thread elsewhere, but can't seem to recall where.

Ever since the update, there's been several games that I have been unable to play from the SD card.

The first issue, the channel shows up displaying the game as expected, but attempting to run causes a "Failed to Launch." message. If I try to copy or move these back to the internal memory, "The data may not have been copied/moved." is displayed. Deleting and re-downloading these games do not fix the problem. The odd thing is, only a few games seem to actually work. I haven't tested every game, but so far Kirby's Dreamland 3, Secret of Mana, Starfox 64 and World of Goo are currently not working for me. Megaman 9 and Super Metroid do work however.

The second issue, is I have two channels which show up as ?'s on the SD card, Space Invaders Get Even and Cubello. Deleting and re-downloading doesn't fix the problem either.

I plan on calling Nintendo up this next week, but I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing the same problems.

It sounds like the root of the problem could be the SD card, in which case the solution may simply be to format it with a program like the SD Association's official SD Formatter. Be sure to back up any data on the card before formatting so you can copy-paste everything back afterwards.

I think the ? channels might be a known issue, but on the 'failure to launch' things, those sound like you lack the space on your Wii.

Apparently, the SD card menu's 'launching' is actually transferring the data to the Wii's internal storage, so if that has too much space taken up, it can't move them. Maybe try moving some more channels from your Wii menu to your SD card menu, or otherwise clearing up space on it?

[quote name='Cao Cao']It sounds like the root of the problem could be the SD card, in which case the solution may simply be to format it with a program like the SD Association's official SD Formatter. Be sure to back up any data on the card before formatting so you can copy-paste everything back afterwards.[/QUOTE]

I did this about a month ago, so I'm not sure if that's what is causing the problem or not. I may try to do it again to see if it fixes the problem.

[quote name='gaxur']I think the ? channels might be a known issue, but on the 'failure to launch' things, those sound like you lack the space on your Wii.[/QUOTE]

What's the issue with the ? channels?

Don't worry, I'm not ignorant enough to not check for the space on my Wii, I have plenty of room internally. Aside from that, it wouldn't make any logical sense for a larger game like Megaman 9 to work compared to Kirby's Dreamland 3.

So having had the functionality for a few days now, I've been turning this question over in my head.

When the solution was originally announced last year (I want to stay at the September press conference Nintendo held), there was a lot of discussion over how vague it was worded. Originally it sounded like all that would be unlocked would be a "save to SD card" option from Wii Shop, but that if you wanted to run the game, you'd have to copy it to the system, run it, and then offload it if you needed the space. Essentially an extra step in cleaning the fridge.

The solution as it stands now seems less cumbersome than that - it does appear that the game is being run from the RAM. But then some issues came up - you have to have the space available to begin with on your system internally, and certain games don't support all their features if you run them "from the card."

This makes me wonder if the update really is just as it was originally hinted, and that instead of actually running the game off random memory, it's still just copying it back and forth in one step without prompting us to do anything in the meantime.

If that's the case, then the solution kind of works, but it's definitely not a hard drive substitute.

Likewise, in light of the fact that the solution doesn't retroactively work with games like Rock Band, this further seems to support the idea that this is really more smoke and mirrors than anything.

In the end, though, does that matter? If it's pantomiming the whole thing but works essentially just as quickly as a true storage solution, what's the difference? And if that IS the case, then I imagine that piracy isn't that much more enabled than it has been already.

I guess I really need more input from the HB community, since they'd be the ones who could tell me definitively what is going on.

Lastly, SDHC should have been enabled from the get go of the entire system. The fact that they apparently only needed a small firmware update to fix that is infuriating.

I'll admit I haven't played any games from the SD card. I kinda just picked some to see if it worked, but that was that.

However, I put ALL my games on the SD card and only kept a few channels (Check Mii Out, Everybody Poops, etc) on the system. Maybe by doing this, will clear up enough space on the Wii and no one will have any problems?

:shrug:

So what "features" are you talking about? I'm guessing you mean something like Pokemon Snap where you can't save photos the Message Board. If it doesn't include the ability to use save states, then that's pretty bad.

I'll probably be putting almost all my stuff on my card, not including channels (I'll be putting the Internet Channel back on my system). Although from what I understand it (and it's a very sloppy way of doing things) is that it basically quick copies your game to the System Memory and when you turn your system off, it deletes it. So it's running off the 256mb you have available.

Right here, direct from Nintendo:

“Some features of WiiConnect24 will not work with games or Wii Channels when they are launched from the SD Card Menu. These features will only work when the item is moved or copied into the Wii system memory.”

Save states should still be usable no matter what.

I switched to a 2 GB SD (not SDHC) card that is rated as "52x" speed. I switched to that card and it is noticeably faster then my previous lowly 256 MB card. It got me to thinking... Pit Crew Panic seems to load in only a few seconds, which is interesting since it took *much* longer then then to copy it to the SD card. If, when run, it is being copied to internal memory I would have expected that it would take nearly as long to load as it did to copy it to the card, and there is no even remote comparison. I didn't time it, but probably close a minute to copy it to the card, yet only 3 or 4 seconds to "run" it from the card. Given that, how could it be the case that they are simply copying to internal memory and then running? Maybe it is a hack solution, but if so it's a particularly clever hack solution.

WII-KLY UPDATE: "THE FAREWELL EDITION"

March 30, 2009
In this farewell edition of the Wii-kly Update (more on that below*), we're pleased to announce a pair of excellent games based around completely opposite vocations. Newly available on the Virtual Console™ is Super Punch Out!! ™, the classic boxing title that pits players against tough pugilist rivals such as Bald Bull. Speaking of baldness, the unique new WiiWare™ game Bonsai Barber™ invites players to take off the gloves and work their clippers instead, giving new hairstyles to a colorful cast of fruits and vegetables. Both are yours for the downloading via the Wii™ Shop Channel.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare

Bonsai Barber (Nintendo, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone-Comic Mischief, 1,000 Wii Points): The village residents are hungry for the latest in foliage fashion, and it's up to you, the new barber, to fix them up. Use the tools of your trade: scissors, clippers, spray can, and more in this humorous, first-of-its-kind "first-person-groomer" game. Bonsai Barber features a colorful cast of 12 intriguing customers, including a temperamental shallot starlet (don't call her an onion), an oddball strawberry boffin, a cactus cowboy, a daredevil carrot, and a suave banana with top-secret clearance. Each day, five customers arrive to test your stylistic skill. If the customer requests a specific style, you'll plow that furrow, or you can rely on your expertise to pick from more than 30 popular fashions. Or, why not turn over a new leaf? Be creative and see how they react. They're a demanding bunch, so if you miss an appointment, you'll hear about it-on your Wii Message Board. If you do a good job, you may receive a gift or even a postcard from an exotic destination as your happy customers travel to distant lands and show off their exquisite coifs.

Virtual Console

Super Punch-Out!! (Super NES™, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): Featuring the tight game play and humor the series is known for, this sequel to the NES™ classic sees Little Mac return to the ring with the World Video Boxing Association belt once again at stake. Slug your way through the grueling, sweat-pounding matches of the Minor, Major and World Circuits as you face off against some of Little Mac's greatest rivals, such as Bear Hugger, Bald Bull and Super Macho Man. With a cast of new challengers waiting, do you have what it takes to identify their unique patterns and exploit their weaknesses? Go to your corner and come out fighting, but remember what Doc Louis would say: "It's not about brawling-it's about finesse!"

Remember that Wii features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other Wii features, visit Wii.com.

* - About that "farewell edition" stuff: Starting next week, the name of this newsletter will be changed from Wii-kly Update to Nintendo Download. Why? With the April 5 launch of the new Nintendo DSi™ portable game system comes the opening of the Nintendo DSi Shop. Like the Wii Shop Channel, the Nintendo DSi Shop will offer a growing library of downloadable games, with new titles added every week. Accordingly, we'll be using this space to tell you not only about new games for Wii but also for Nintendo DSi. Watch for the first edition of Nintendo Download on April 6.

I'm wondering if the noted WiiConnect24 features in Bonsai Barber are an example of what won't work if installed on SD. Also wondering if new games could be designed such that these features do still work even if installed on SD and/or if older games could be updated to support it.

But what I *really* want to know is why can't I copy VC game saves to SD? What in the world could the reason be for locking those? There is no friend code issue is there? The stupidity of the fact that I can't copy even those saves to SD has me considering the idea of installing the homebrew channel if there is in fact software that will let me unlock locked saves. That alone would be worth it. That, of course, only when a new exploit is found, as I already have the latest firmware and thus can't install the HBC.

The main reason I wanted to copy/move a VC save to SD, though, was to allow for multiple save state files. It wouldn't be convenient, but it would work. It sucks only having one save state file. My kids want to play and I want to play and we have to share the same save state file (or submit to writing down password saves). In the case of Ristar, I also like the controls one way and my kids like the other. You can't change the controls mid-game in Ristar (as far as I can tell), so that means nobody is ever going to finish this game unless one of us (that would be me) decides to never play it again. If VC settings and save states/saves were associated with Mii's, this wouldn't be an issue. You could "log in" with your Mii and then have completely separate settings and saves from others. Oh well.

[quote name='KingBroly']So what "features" are you talking about? I'm guessing you mean something like Pokemon Snap where you can't save photos the Message Board. If it doesn't include the ability to use save states, then that's pretty bad.

I'll probably be putting almost all my stuff on my card, not including channels (I'll be putting the Internet Channel back on my system). Although from what I understand it (and it's a very sloppy way of doing things) is that it basically quick copies your game to the System Memory and when you turn your system off, it deletes it. So it's running off the 256mb you have available.[/quote]

It works exactly like you are saying, but it keeps the SD data in system memory until you launch a different game from your SD card. So if you played World of Goo from SD, it would copy the entire 300-something blocks to system memory and then auto-launch it.

If you turn off your Wii after playing WoG, the data still stays in system memory, taking up 300-something blocks of space. If you play WoG again after booting up your Wii, it will load it from the WoG data that is in system memory which will mean it will load instantly.

If you quit WoG and then launch Mega Man 9 from SD, it will auto-delete the WoG data and copy the Mega Man 9 data and auto-launch it.

You can actually see the SD card data that is saved to system memory by going into the Wii settings and looking at the channel data.

As long as you have enough system memory to cover the largest game on your SD card, you should have no problems running anything from SD. Since a vast majority of our storage issues are from VC and WiiWare, it would be pretty rare to not have enough internal memory to run a game from SD.

[quote name='vherub']I still have fight night 2, too bad I can't rip super punchout to the wii[/QUOTE]

Wow I almost forgot about that. I have that still for cube so you just save me $8 because I was going to be all over Super Punch Out.

[quote name='StarKnightX']
Since I love to be nitpicky, was it the Master Question compilation or the Collectors Edition one? Although I doubt the emulation would really be any different between the two I have both and just kinda struck me as curious.
[/QUOTE]
I played both editions. I experienced big freezes and some glitches in MM on the CE. I hadn't heard of any problems for OoT and/or MQ on either disc outside of general emulation stuff (music, maybe force feedback, don't know what else). None of the OoT stuff was a game wrecker. MM's "quirks" were a much different story.

I'm still pissed because it wrecked three individual attempts at playing through the game to completion on two different discs and two different GCs. It would freeze up, then when I would go back to play the saved data I would continue to get freezes on that save. Eventually I got the point.

I used to LOVE the original Punch-Out, but I've never played the SNES sequel. Is it worth the 800 points?

I know - it's probably a stupid question - but it never hurts to make sure. :lol:

Next week sees the start of the DSi store as well, so I've got to get that running in preparation for April 6th.

Super Punch-Out!! is greatness indeed, so I recommend it.

Nintendo would never do this sort of thing, but this would be perfect as a sort a Wiiware game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnZz5A9Z6A8&eurl=http://gonintendo.com/&feature=player_embedded

If you played around with the two player capability of Mario Galaxy, you'll get a sense of what is going on. This is "Drag 'n Drop Mario," which lets you pick enemies up with a cursor and fling them around. Creates some hilarious results and would be GREAT to play with a friend as they fooled around with the IR sensor as you played.

Nintendo could churn out little projects like this in a matter of weeks with various games. Basically a marriage of old skool with the new functionalities the Wiimote provides. Would be lots of fun.

I'll have to download that, looks pretty fun.

For some reason I find it hilarious when he flicks the goombas off screen like they are nothing. :lol:

[quote name='Strell']This makes me wonder if the update really is just as it was originally hinted, and that instead of actually running the game off random memory, it's still just copying it back and forth in one step without prompting us to do anything in the meantime.[/quote]for all the hints about a solution. as far as I remember this is exactly what Nintendo said it would be. It doesn't play 'from the card' directly. it just auto copies to the Wii and plays from there. sloppy yes but at least it's better than before.

[quote name='crunchewy']The main reason I wanted to copy/move a VC save to SD, though, was to allow for multiple save state files. It wouldn't be convenient, but it would work. It sucks only having one save state file. My kids want to play and I want to play and we have to share the same save state file (or submit to writing down password saves).[/quote]dude i feel for you. I love my nephews and all but I can't let them on my one slot VC games because they kinda suck. For the moment I'm glad the only games they like are Halo and Brawl.

[quote name='flybrione']Wow I almost forgot about that. I have that still for cube so you just save me $8 because I was going to be all over Super Punch Out.[/QUOTE]

I'm still going to pick this up. For a great pick-up-and-play game like this, I think it's worth having it ready to boot up instantly. It's perfect for blasting through over and over.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I used to LOVE the original Punch-Out, but I've never played the SNES sequel. Is it worth the 800 points?

I know - it's probably a stupid question - but it never hurts to make sure. :lol:[/QUOTE]

No question it's worth $8. Played the crap out of it yesterday and it holds up really well (just like the original). I feel comfortable saying that it is superior to the original in terms of gameplay but it doesn't quite have the same charm. I think that it's because the fights are only one round and because of that you miss out of the witticisms of the fighters.

[quote name='thedizz']I'm still going to pick this up. For a great pick-up-and-play game like this, I think it's worth having it ready to boot up instantly. It's perfect for blasting through over and over.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention how much better it is to play with the classic controller.

[quote name='natureboy46']No question it's worth $8. Played the crap out of it yesterday and it holds up really well (just like the original). I feel comfortable saying that it is superior to the original in terms of gameplay but it doesn't quite have the same charm. I think that it's because the fights are only one round and because of that you miss out of the witticisms of the fighters.[/QUOTE]

I agree with all of this. Though anyone who hasn't played it yet should know that the one-round fights are in normal time (unlike the original which had something like 3x-speed time). So the fights have the same total maximum time as far as I know.

Wow, I've been gone for so long. The Wii shop thread is under new management, I can run crap from the SD card, and Super Punch-Out!! is on VC!?

This thread has become a roller coaster of emotions for me just now.

[quote name='dmunkee']Wow, I've been gone for so long. The Wii shop thread is under new management, I can run crap from the SD card, and Super Punch-Out!! is on VC!?[/QUOTE]

We also have jet packs, flying cars, and house-cleaning robots, as promised by the Jetsons.

Actually, just the house-cleaning robots. But you've gotta figure that if they've managed to enable us to be able to run things straight from the SD card that those jet packs and flying cars can't be too far behind.

bread's done
Back