Wii Shop Thread: ***FINAL FANTASY 3 IS OUT ON THE VC***

[quote name='Strell']Party Fun Pirate!

It has the words "party" and "fun" and "pirate" so you KNOW it has to be good![/QUOTE]

Nintendo picked a bad week to release a pirate-themed game. :shock:

I finally had a chance to play the Wario waggle platformer, and I guess based on that experience alone I'm not as excited about a 2D Mario platformer as I used to be. (Though I'd still jump on it Day 1.) The sprites in that Wario game were gorgeous but the gameplay? I'm probably the 7 billionth poster to note this, but so what, I'm behind everyone else.

Capcom pulled it off with MM9, but the context there isn't the same as the context of a new Mario 2D platformer. Wario waggle is in my mind an example of how Nintendo views gaming now and what they expect of gameplay. Those notes/rules probably guided whoever developed wario waggle for N. I don't see why Nintendo would make an exception to those rules simply because the game were developed in-house. Those new rules are now:

1. Gamer doesn't die.
2. Challenge is in repetition to discover hidden items. Never/rarely require gamer to use repeated deaths to acquire a skill--or "learn" a course--that will allow advancement to next level, level advancement should be available to all gamers at the outset through timed unlocks of levels or whatever other mechanic ensures gamer A and gamer B progress through levels at similar pace regardless of skill.
3. New levels require new gaming mechanic (that is, DKC cannons one level, vines the next, shroom that makes you big, cloud that makes lightning come out your ass, whatever). Reliance on jump/run and skill acquisition as a mechanic is to be avoided.

Just chiming in to say that I'll stick to bitching for Yoshi's Island to show up for the VC until I start giving a shit about seeing new Mario via 2D platform, be it a WiiWare or full-blown release. I realize I'm turning in to an honest-to-god curmudgeon when it comes to gaming, especially gaming on the Wii. Dammit.

[quote name='dothog']I finally had a chance to play the Wario waggle platformer, and I guess based on that experience alone I'm not as excited about a 2D Mario platformer as I used to be. (Though I'd still jump on it Day 1.) The sprites in that Wario game were gorgeous but the gameplay? I'm probably the 7 billionth poster to note this, but so what, I'm behind everyone else. [/quote]
I liked Wario Land: Shake It! but the waggle did make it suck more that it had to. Those cannons were impossible to pass until I put my Wii remote on a fucking table. I don't think all games should be as hard as Mega Man, (I ranted about this a few days ago) but I do see the appeal of a hard game or level in a genre you like.

Does Nintendo think the following is true:
No motion controls in a Wii game=player feels ripped off

I can't think of one Nintendo developed Wii game without some form of pointer or motion controls. If that is true, we will be cockblocked time and time again for a new 2D Mario game without some fucking gimmick. NSMB was close, but it was easier than Super Mario World and had a fucking gimmick (3D models on a 2D plane). Also note that SMW had some hard levels that were not required to progress through the game. I think that's a step in the right direction. Nintendo's patent from a while back where the game can show you how to do something can also help.

How did the DS get over tacked-on touch screen controls in like 1 year? I remember when I thought the Wii situation would get better. :cry:

[quote name='Doomed']
I can't think of one Nintendo developed Wii game without some form of pointer or motion controls.[/quote]Does Fire Emblem count? That was Intelligent Systems...

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Nintendo picked a bad week to release a pirate-themed game. :shock:[/QUOTE]

"Hey I heard you liked pirates so we made a game with pirates and then released that game with pirates."

"What? You shoot pirates in the head?! fuck."

[quote name='The Crotch']Does Fire Emblem count? That was Intelligent Systems...[/quote]

I'm probably wrong, but I remember hearing that Radiant Dawn was another one of those instances where it was going to be a Gamecube game that got held back and released for the Wii. Which makes me wonder, if that's the case, will the next Fire Emblem have motion controls?

I will say that I loved the one-handed, vertical Wii remote control scheme in Radiant Dawn. I'd like to be in a Wii commercial, slouching on the couch, playing FE with one hand and eating pretzels with the other. Take that Wii Fit!

[quote name='dmunkee']I'd like to be in a Wii commercial, slouching on the couch, playing FE with one hand and eating pretzels with the other. Take that Wii Fit![/quote]

I guess you didn't see the Game Handler commercial for the original NES where the kid is eating popcorn while he is playing a game, and the announcer says it's "Approved by the One-handed popcorn eaters of America."

[quote name='Doomed']I liked Wario Land: Shake It! but the waggle did make it suck more that it had to.[/QUOTE]
o snap, I made a big error referring to the game as "wario waggle." It was not meant pejoratively toward waggle, as hard as it is to believe. I just knew the game had something like "shake" or "bump" in the title and waggle came to mind. I don't think Wario Shakin It Adventure's problem was the waggle. Waggle has its place and I thought it worked okay. It's the way you play through the game, going over levels again and again.

That's what a platformer is now. It's not dictated by the old rules of learning the timing to move from treacherous platform to platform, it's bound to the new gaming tradition of simply requiring a gamer to stick around long enough for the game to pat you on the head and say, "Huzzah, you get to progress to the next level for participating! SELF-ESTEEM GET!" This is where I'm curmudgeony, I'm not an unreasonable asshole about game control, I'm an unreasonable, aging asshole about the evolving framework of what it means to Game.

My assumption is that Nintendo, were they to craft a new Mario 2D sexxy time (and as zeiganjesus notes, there's no fucking way that's happening), would feel compelled to force these evolving gaming conventions on the platformer. They did it to SMG, I don't see why any future mario title would be an exception. And if that happens, it's going to pull us in a lot of directions.

That's my point, and really, who gives a shit about my point because it's all conjecture. The point to this post is that I was not waggle bashing*, honest to god, it can and does work, and waggle did not take anything away from Wario's Shake n' Shit Goodtimes Funbag.

*If I want to waggle bash, I'll exert myself in the fucking LoZ:TP thread, if there is still one for that abortion of a game. Troll out!

Party Fun Pirate™ (TOMY Corporation, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone - Comic Mischief, 500 Wii Points): Based on the popular Pop-Up Pirate toy, players take turns thrusting swords into a barrel that holds your captain captive, trying to see who can insert the most swords into the barrel. Thrust a sword into the wrong hole and you'll send your captain flying, which means it's game over for you! Unique Wii features add to the excitement, making for a fun-filled party game. Try swapping out the captain and putting your custom Mii character in the barrel for some real laughs!

Am I the only one who read this description and thought that I was reading the synopsis for, ahem, an entirely different form of entertainment?

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate the Wario Land: Shake It! style of completing a game. It's a platformer, not a point and click adventure.
No Strell, I didn't finish Monkey Island, go away.

[quote name='Doomed']
No Strell, I didn't finish Monkey Island, go away.
[/QUOTE]

I didn't expect you to interrupt your unblemished record of being a disappointment any time soon.

Carry on.

[quote name='Strell']I didn't expect you to interrupt your unblemished record of being a disappointment any time soon.

Carry on.[/quote]
I am a disappointment. I finished Day of the Tentacle though! That counts for something, right?

...right?

/I'm going to my room and never coming out

//Maybe I can finish Monkey Island while I'm there

I liked WarioLand: Shake It. Honestly.

But my main beef was with the decision to make it impossible to complete most levels without more than one play through. Maybe that kind of design would be easy to tolerate as a kid, but I no longer have that kind of patience. If I explore every nook and cranny I expect to be rewarded damn it, and not have the cookie jar within view but oh so far out of reach.

That aside - I'm all for new forms of exploration. People act like having "waggle" is a bad thing, when it's not in most cases. Provided it's utilized right and not overused, it's a great addition. Most of Nintendo's games developed solely for Wii have shown at least how it should be used, but unfortunately for us, not all 3rd party developers have followed suit.

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure

Didn't this game come out on every format between the years 1994 and 2001? I think it shares the record with Revolution X.

As for Pitfall, I have 23 copies of that game on 17 different systems. Add VC to the shit pile.

[quote name='Doomed']NSMB was close, but it was easier than Super Mario World and had a fucking gimmick (3D models on a 2D plane).[/QUOTE]

That's a gimmick? If so, then gimmicks are as generic as patents these days.

[quote name='Cambot']As for Pitfall, I have 23 copies of that game on 17 different systems. Add VC to the shit pile.[/QUOTE]

So, you bought it?

[quote name='BlueLobstah']
But my main beef was with the decision to make it impossible to complete most levels without more than one play through. Maybe that kind of design would be easy to tolerate as a kid, but I no longer have that kind of patience. If I explore every nook and cranny I expect to be rewarded damn it, and not have the cookie jar within view but oh so far out of reach.[/quote]

I'm with you on this one. I really did enjoy the game, but with so many other games in my backlog, I just don't have the time or patience to play a game on it's time. My biggest problems (well, one of them anyway) this generation is the artificial "padding" put into games to stretch them out. The arguement could be made (especially in Warioland: Shake It!) that this is to make shorter games longer. Something that a lot of people can complain about as well. I personally see no problem with a short game. Some of my favorite games many console generations ago could be beat in just a few hours, but that didn't make them bad or not worth the cash.

[quote name='gunm']So Majora's Mask is coming to US VC soon?[/quote]
It should, there's no reason for it not to. No announcement has been made, however.

Majora's Mask isn't coming - it has all those licensing issues going on with the music. Nintendo is actually scared Nintendo will sue Nintendo using Nintendo's lawyers.

[quote name='Strell']Majora's Mask isn't coming - it has all those licensing issues going on with the music. Nintendo is actually scared Nintendo will sue Nintendo using Nintendo's lawyers.[/QUOTE]

are you serious or just making fun of earthbound? I can't tell anymore

[quote name='Doomed']I liked Wario Land: Shake It! but the waggle did make it suck more that it had to. Those cannons were impossible to pass until I put my Wii remote on a fucking table. I don't think all games should be as hard as Mega Man, (I ranted about this a few days ago) but I do see the appeal of a hard game or level in a genre you like.:[/QUOTE]

Megaman was hard? I didn't think so.

Yeah... I always think it is weird that people think MM9 is really hard, it is one of the easiest entries in the series in my opinion. I've heard Cheapy and Wombat say it is hard, as well as most of the crew from GiantBomb, so these are guys who do play a lot of games.

[quote name='gunm']So Majora's Mask is coming to US VC soon?[/QUOTE]

Hell no, they still haven't released the Atari Jaguar version of Zoop.

[quote name='Halo05']Hell no, they still haven't released the Atari Jaguar version of Zoop.[/QUOTE]

Hey - I'd be all for them releasing the Jaguar game Tempest 2000 first.

[quote name='yukine']Yeah... I always think it is weird that people think MM9 is really hard, it is one of the easiest entries in the series in my opinion. I've heard Cheapy and Wombat say it is hard, as well as most of the crew from GiantBomb, so these are guys who do play a lot of games.[/quote]
It was hard. Not fun hard. Annoying hard. They're all frustratingly difficult, but that one did stand out for me. I understand not wanting to be lead by the hand through a game and never failing, but I don't get any enjoyment out of spending time training my hand muscles to memorize a two-minute timed jumping sequence.

MM9: Hard, but nowhere near the level of the old MMs.

And the point of the big fuck-you jumping section was to make you feel god damn awesome once you complete it flawlessly.

[quote name='The Crotch']MM9: Hard, but nowhere near the level of the old MMs.

And the point of the big fuck-you jumping section was to make you feel god damn awesome once you complete it flawlessly.[/quote]

I agree that MM9 was not that hard. It is certainly not easy, but I was surprised at how well I did playing it. I did play the original Mega Man on the VC right before MM9 so maybe that helped.

I think Wombat gave up on MM9 based on the XBLA demo level (the elephant section of the Concrete Man level). That section takes all of 5 minutes to figure out but most people are patient enough for even that amount of effort anymore.

This week, Europe got 2 VC games, Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars - SEGA Master System/500 Points, and Secret Commando (aka Rambo: First Blood Part II ) - SEGA Master System/500 Points.

I finally got Bit.Trip.Beat last night. Awesome game that proceeded to kick my ass. I need to work on that game for a while.

Also, first time experiencing the download directly to my SD card. Worked smoothly.

[quote name='crunchewy']Hey - I'd be all for them releasing the Jaguar game Tempest 2000 first.[/QUOTE]

That and Super Burnout, Defender 2000, AvsP, Doom, and Breakout 2000.

The Jag had a LOT of horrible games, but the good ones were actually very good.

RD

I guess Nintendo forgot it was my birthday.

WiiWare

CRYSTAL DEFENDERS R1 (SQUARE ENIX, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone – Mild Fantasy Violence, 800 Wii Points™): In CRYSTAL DEFENDERS R1, you must deploy various units such as Soldiers and Black Mages to stop wave after wave of encroaching monsters from escaping the area with your party's crystals. There are many different types of units to choose from, some specializing in powerful short-range attacks, some wielding far-reaching magicks, and still others equipped with bows that enable them to bring down aerial foes. Deploy units in strategic locations to take full advantage of their traits. Each time an enemy breaches your defenses and reaches a map's exit, your party will lose crystals. When all your crystals are gone, the game is over. CRYSTAL DEFENDERS R1 comes complete with a plethora of exciting stages, each varying in layout and difficulty. Can you defend them all without losing a single crystal?

Virtual Console

Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair (Sega Genesis, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone – Mild Cartoon Violence, 900 Wii Points): The once-quiet town of Xenobia is under attack from fierce and gruesome monsters. As Leo, it's up to you to save Xenobia from danger as you navigate through a series of worlds in a race against time. Use your sword and jumping abilities to battle foes. Watch for power-ups that will increase your health and add to the amount of time you have to complete your missions. Go it alone or play co-op with a friend who can take the role of Priscilla. Do you have what it takes to save the world?

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi Shop and the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

[quote name='tiredfornow']900 points? :whistle2:?[/QUOTE]

Probably due to the import surcharge, since it never came to the US originally. Bleh(ck) indeed. You'd be better off waiting for the Master System's "Wonder Boy III: Dragon's Trap;" it would be half the price and about a million times (conservative estimate) better than the Genesis game.

While I applaud Nintendo for releasing import titles on the VC, how about they release some that people actually want?

No shit. Japan has had CV:Rondo of Blood forever. That is something I'd happily pay 900 points to play in beautiful 480p on my bigish TV.

Ya know, DCFOX, there IS a thread for the DS games..I think it's in the DS forum! :nottalking:

(Dr Mario Express and some other Master of Illusion game came out)

[quote name='lilboo']Ya know, DCFOX, there IS a thread for the DS games..I think it's in the DS forum! :nottalking:

(Dr Mario Express and some other Master of Illusion game came out)[/quote]
So now I have to check out two threads? :roll:

Couldn't you guys just roll it all into one thread just to make it easier on me? Besides, that other thread is not even stickied.

[quote name='dcfox']whining[/QUOTE]

I haven't asked a mod to sticky it yet. I'll do so tonight.

You can go complain elsewhere though. Why have a thread where I chronicle releases on a portable in here?

I will not endorse a poorly hidden pro-Protoss (Pro-Toss, yuk yuk yuk) agenda in my threads. You take those arbiters somewhere else. Like straight into a volcano. Or a sun or something.

I'll add a link to the DSiware thread in the OP at the beginning of the post, so you can get back and forth easily (thus implying I'll do the opposite in the other).

bread's done
Back