Wii U - Beginning of the end > Cheap game thread

My refurb from ebay WiiU didn't come in a plain white box.  It came in what looks like a retail box with a UPC and pictures and fine print etc...but has a refurbished banner printed on it.

Should really check out how to jailbreak a wii u, lets you install custom firmware and install ANY region game, install mods, custom apps, stream your game to a PC and control the game from your PC, and a ton of other things.  Its quite amazing and I rebought a refurb wii u a few months ago just so I could jailbreak it and install every good game from japan on it, works great.  Even installed BOTW and could activate a cheat if I wanted to give myself unlimited durability or whatever.

You can still play online any game you want no problem, I play MK8 and Splatoon online and can download/play Mario Maker levels with zero issues.  People have come up with some crazy hacks like using a sony dualshock 4 with a wii u.

You can start by reading the FlimFlam69 Guide at the top of the wii u hacks reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/WiiUHacks/

fwiw there is something similar for 3DS as well under /r/3dshacks

Jailbreaking your wii u / 3ds is NOT illegal by the way

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently started picking up games. Lots that I still want.
Will follow this thread

sent from my galaxy s6 edge plus using tapatalk on android

Good thread idea.

I actually backed Bloodstained for the Wii U and saw It's coming to Switch. If they actually produce it for Wii U It's probably going to be really rare. My last planned title is Zelda and It's a big one!

Lots of Gems on the Wii U! Bayonetta 2,  Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. It will be interesting to see how many get switch ports outside of Zelda and Mario Kart 8.

I guess Super Smash Bros, Splatoon, and Hyrule Warriors will never drop down to $30 like I was hoping. :wall:
I guess you missed out on Target's mini-clearance of Wii U games. Most of them hit 70% off. I picked up a Hyrule Warriors for $18. By the way, I actually recently heard that Hyrule Warriors was $30 somewhere. As I already have a copy, I didn't pay attention to it, but I think it was at Wal-Mart.

Nintendo Store stuff

Toad Wii Remote - $25

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash - $25

Star Fox Zero + Star Fox Guard - $30

Wii Fit U + Fit Meter - $20

Wii Fit U + Fit Meter + Balance Board - $25

Xenoblade Chronicles X SE was $45, but it's OOS now. I just missed it (was able to add it to my cart a day or two ago, but couldn't check out).

Standard prices, but who knows how long they'll be available:

Wii U high-capacity battery pack - $40

LAN adapter - $25

Gamecube controller adapter - $20

There are some good deals outside of the Wii U area, like the first 3DS Yokai Watch for $20.

Picked up a cheap one Friday to play BotW, hacked it today. There's so much you can do apparently. I see a lot of people put their entire Nintendo collection on their sans Switch.

Nintendo has refurb systems are $200 directly:

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat570935

The black one has 32GB internal HD and the white one has 8GB internal.

Also, WiiU pro controllers are $25 at most (but not all) Walmarts currently:

http://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=21977094

(link is from the Walmart clearance thread)
The site says the white one is 32 GB also, which is strange because the white ones were originally 8 GB when the console launched (it was the "Basic Model" and was discontinued pretty quickly).

Is it possible that in the refurb process, Nintendo is upgrading the internal flash memory to be 32 GB? That would be sweet. I do prefer the white version simply because it matches my white Wii controllers.

So do you have to have a nunchuck play any games?
Or will the Standard controller, Pro Controller & gamepad be all I need?

My refurb from ebay WiiU didn't come in a plain white box. It came in what looks like a retail box with a UPC and pictures and fine print etc...but has a refurbished banner printed on it.
I expected mine to come in a retail box, as that is what I had read for awhile from refurb reviews, so when I got the generic, I was like WTF!?

But then I remembered, the white 32GB model was never released here, so there is no american box for that model. So I'm 99% sure, that is why that model gets the generic white box.

The site says the white one is 32 GB also, which is strange because the white ones were originally 8 GB when the console launched (it was the "Basic Model" and was discontinued pretty quickly).

Is it possible that in the refurb process, Nintendo is upgrading the internal flash memory to be 32 GB? That would be sweet. I do prefer the white version simply because it matches my white Wii controllers.
This is a question I've had a for awhile, and with "N" being tight lipped about any and everything, there is no way to know 100%. It was released in other regions, and technically, all the systems are the same physically speaking, so a unit from Japan would just need a new sticker and a re-flash to US settings, and it would be good to go. As you state, these could be left over 8GB models, that they realized was better to sale at 32GB, and upgraded the memory as well. They also could have always had a surplus of these and never sold them. When it comes to NoA, can we ever really know anything for sure? LOL

I highly recommend the upgraded battery to anyone wanting a Wii U, as the one included is about NS numbers play time wise(3 hours or so). Since I bought one for my son years ago, I have never once seen the low battery light come on once. And he plays for pretty good lengths of time.

Anyone having trouble locating Zelda for wii u? I pre ordered it from Best Buy and its pretty great im surprised how well it runs in such limited hardware. It proves the wii u was much more powerful than anyone knew.

Anyhow, I have not seen copies in the wild at any retailers ive been to and have heard itll be rare to find for wii u. I found one local music/book store that has about 15 copies however, so if any cags having a hard time locating one check out Bull Moose Music. Its still 60 but totally worth it, especially if itll be hard to find and you dont want to pay 4bills to play it on switch.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is 30 new at gamestop.com. And Tokyo Mirage is 40.

I was thinking of getting a switch when it's available but decided on a wii u instead since the only game I would get on switch is also for wii u.

I ordered a used one on eBay which came in a bundle with 6 games (mario maker, mario 3d, yoshi, mario kart, smash bros, and donkey Kong tropical) for 400. That seemed like a pretty good deal so hopefully everything works.

So far I've ordered the 2 games from gamestop mentioned above, and Zelda BOTW of course (BB with GCU). I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see what other things may pop up, but regardless, my summer gaming is already looking good. And then I can get a switch in a few years once the issues are ironed out and maybe theres a pack-in game.

Why is everyone surprised Zelda runs ok on the hardware it was originally developed for?!
Exactly! Eurogamer.net did a comparison between the Switch and Wii U versions and found the differences marginal even factoring the Switch runs at 900p in docked mode vs the 720p Wii U version.

Now waiting for Hyrule Warriors @ $19.

A Walmart 16 Miles from me shows 23 copies of Kirby. Lol, guess I can wait to the weekend.

It feels so weird to be less than 10 games away from what I consider finished with an entire console. I got the smash/splat bundle and won't be buying either of those games on disc unless I find them at a yardsale. Once the servers are down there won't be much use for them.

I need Kirby, game & Wario, paper Mario and wonderful 101. After that anything I buy will be because it was so cheap I couldn't not buy it.

And a pro controller.

Anyone know why I can't search game & Wario on the Gamestop site? I've never seen it in store either. I might just buckle and buy it on ebay because it seems like it's pretty uncommon.

Not a single walmart within a hundred miles of me has a pro controller. Would happily give someone 30 for one.

Anyone having trouble locating Zelda for wii u? I pre ordered it from Best Buy and its pretty great im surprised how well it runs in such limited hardware. It proves the wii u was much more powerful than anyone knew.

Anyhow, I have not seen copies in the wild at any retailers ive been to and have heard itll be rare to find for wii u. I found one local music/book store that has about 15 copies however, so if any cags having a hard time locating one check out Bull Moose Music. Its still 60 but totally worth it, especially if itll be hard to find and you dont want to pay 4bills to play it on switch.
I think (because it launched concurrently with the Switch version) most retailers got very limited (if any) stock. There are four Best Buy stores in my city, and between them they got 5 copies for Wii U, all of which were preorders. Since I didn't grab a switch day 1, I went to the next closest store (about 45 minutes away) and picked up the game and amiibo there. None of my local Target stores got any copies for Wii U (6 stores), and the WalMart stores all got single-digits and sold out immediately.

Which is a shame, because the Switch will be a pain to find for awhile, and the game runs great on the Wii U anyway.

Anyone know why I can't search game & Wario on the Gamestop site? I've never seen it in store either. I might just buckle and buy it on ebay because it seems like it's pretty uncommon.
I've seen 3 stores with complete copies of G&W in the past month. I bought one and ignored the others but they're out there $31.xx after PUR, I believe.

I think (because it launched concurrently with the Switch version) most retailers got very limited (if any) stock.
Yeah, I agree. While Zelda could have been the best selling game on the system, since production has stopped of the hardware, most retailers probably didn't want to get stuck with tons of games they would have to discount in the future. At least the NS is just starting, so even if those extra's sit awhile, they know it will sale eventually.

Limited stock for this was discussed forever at CAG, so anyone who really wanted it, should have preordered, as almost everyone figured this was going to be a rather limited title. And "N" has no real incentive to make more, or make a lot to begin with, as they want your NS dollars now, and could care less about the Wii U.

I've had a lot of fun with my Wii U (got it at launch). 

I'm missing Pokken...at some point maybe I could pick up that Lego City game.  Otherwise, I think I've got about everything the console has to offer (of the first-party stuff).  They made a Paper Mario game?  I guess I need that also.

I need to look into the softmod.  I didn't know it wouldn't affect the online capability.  I still play Smash and Splaton, so I wouldn't risk getting banned.  But if there's no issue, I definitely need to get it modded.

kirby shows $10 at a walmart 16 miles away for me on brickseek but OOS....makes me wonder if i should do a return/rebuy, but one of the stores that has it is at the opposite end of town 

Strolled into two Best Buys this weekend and both didn't have BotW Wii U on the shelf, but had multiple copies(5+) in the cage when I saw them near the exit. They'll sell like hotcakes with that strategy /s

Also visited the local pawn shop and saw a Wii U system(that was scuffed to hell) behind the glass. Curiously asked how much; he said $350. I literally LOLed and told him I could buy $200 Wii U's on Nintendo's website. Some poor schmuck is gonna buy that thing cause they just don't know. Oh well

Should really check out how to jailbreak a wii u, lets you install custom firmware and install ANY region game, install mods, custom apps, stream your game to a PC and control the game from your PC, and a ton of other things. Its quite amazing and I rebought a refurb wii u a few months ago just so I could jailbreak it and install every good game from japan on it, works great. Even installed BOTW and could activate a cheat if I wanted to give myself unlimited durability or whatever.

You can still play online any game you want no problem, I play MK8 and Splatoon online and can download/play Mario Maker levels with zero issues. People have come up with some crazy hacks like using a sony dualshock 4 with a wii u.

You can start by reading the FlimFlam69 Guide at the top of the wii u hacks reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/WiiUHacks/

fwiw there is something similar for 3DS as well under /r/3dshacks

Jailbreaking your wii u / 3ds is NOT illegal by the way
Wow.. didn't know this was possible.

It's funny, everything I've seen from the Switch so far basically makes me want to stock up on Wii U stuff. After it was shown that the Wii U Zelda runs almost as well as the Switch version, I don't really see the point in investing in a new system so early, especialy with how fucking expensive local MP on this system will be. And outside of BotW, I haven't seen anything that excites me for the system outside of Mario Odyssey.

I need to track down 3x more Pro controllers and a few more games before I call it quits.

I expected mine to come in a retail box, as that is what I had read for awhile from refurb reviews, so when I got the generic, I was like WTF!?

But then I remembered, the white 32GB model was never released here, so there is no american box for that model. So I'm 99% sure, that is why that model gets the generic white box.

This is a question I've had a for awhile, and with "N" being tight lipped about any and everything, there is no way to know 100%. It was released in other regions, and technically, all the systems are the same physically speaking, so a unit from Japan would just need a new sticker and a re-flash to US settings, and it would be good to go. As you state, these could be left over 8GB models, that they realized was better to sale at 32GB, and upgraded the memory as well. They also could have always had a surplus of these and never sold them. When it comes to NoA, can we ever really know anything for sure? LOL

I highly recommend the upgraded battery to anyone wanting a Wii U, as the one included is about NS numbers play time wise(3 hours or so). Since I bought one for my son years ago, I have never once seen the low battery light come on once. And he plays for pretty good lengths of time.
I have one of the refurb white 32 GB models. The whole current console hardware market has been garbage in Japan, so they may have just had a surplus.

Also, they got rid of the 8 GB model a few years ago even in the US. Must not have sold well, or maybe they figured it was hindering digital sales.

Wow.. didn't know this was possible.
A lot of times, I know stuff is possible, just not how easy it can sometimes be. The Mini is beyond easy, as it has a program that does everything for you.

Actually, while looking at NS reviews and previews last week, Youtube gave me a recommendation for the Wii U CFW, and that's when I started to look in to it. I haven't done it yet, but from what I can tell, you can 100% do whatever online, with no issues. I guess since the Wii U doesn't get a lot of updates anymore, it was easier to lock something in to place. Once I do that, I may look in to the 3DS, but whenever I looked in to that, it seemed like way more work than I was willing to do. LOL

I'm in Wal-Mart and they have Hyrule Warriors new marked down to 30 bucks. Good deal?

They also have Xenoblade X marked down to 30

Beginning of the end? What is this, 2013?
Hey it's this joke again. Go back a few pages to see it again.

Once again since the Wii U ended production in Nov and Switch is out many retailers are going to start clearing out Wii games and such. This is what this thread is for.

Hey it's this joke again. Go back a few pages to see it again.

Once again since the Wii U ended production in Nov and Switch is out many retailers are going to start clearing out Wii games and such. This is what this thread is for.
I don't have time to read the whole thread. I only have time for jokes.

BOTW on Wii U is simply amazing. I went to walmart yesterday and no copies anywhere to be seen so I head next door to gamestop & asked the guy behind the counter if they had the wii u version & he went and asked another guy that was working stocking & apparently he gave him the ok to sell me a copy. Not sure what was up with that unless I got a copy that was someones preorder that wasn't picked up or something. At any rate I'm so glad I got it because I spent hours on it last night & am truly blown away by the game. I've always had trouble getting into and finishing Zelda games (except my 1st gold NES Zelda I was so hooked on that back in the day) but this game is just perfection to me thus far. I can't wait to dive back in even as I'm typing this.

Just ordered the high capacity battery another Gamecube adapter.  You can use two at once (and a hard drive) for 8 player smash.  You won't get the rumble if you only use 1 USB, though.

RIP Wii U.  You're getting quite a play through on your way out.

BOTW on Wii U is simply amazing. I went to walmart yesterday and no copies anywhere to be seen so I head next door to gamestop & asked the guy behind the counter if they had the wii u version & he went and asked another guy that was working stocking & apparently he gave him the ok to sell me a copy. Not sure what was up with that unless I got a copy that was someones preorder that wasn't picked up or something. At any rate I'm so glad I got it because I spent hours on it last night & am truly blown away by the game. I've always had trouble getting into and finishing Zelda games (except my 1st gold NES Zelda I was so hooked on that back in the day) but this game is just perfection to me thus far. I can't wait to dive back in even as I'm typing this.
I'm in the same boat. Windwaker bored me after a while (the sailing took way too much time) and TP had a really slow start.

On BoW, I'm hooked. This is the first Zelda game that has me addicted. I'm about 10 hours in and loving every minute of it. I love the shrines, towers, and the warps.

Need to pick up a copy of Yoshi Wooly World, I have (what I feel is) the best games on the platform already, just missing Yoshi.

I need to grab a hi cap battery for my Wii U gamepad before they go OOS. I haven't broken into Xenoblade Chronicles X much and I have barely touched Tokyo Mirage Sessions but my gamepad lasts maybe 2 hours. I like my RPG sessions way longer than that.

BotW at every Best Buy in NoVA. Also saw it's in stock online.
Oh sure for now. But Nintendo already knows how many Wii Us have been sold in the US and they aren't producing anymore, just selling refurbs. So my guess is once the first run is over they don't ship anymore units. My walmarts got around 20 copies for the system and I can't see them sending out more then that. If you don't plan on getting a switch in the next few years I'd grab one. It's a shame Nintendo doesn't have some sort of save transfer program ala GTAV because I'd probably double dip on the Switch once those copies go to players choice.

bread's done
Back