Wii U - Beginning of the end > Cheap game thread

I was in target earlier and they had several of those GameCube-inspired controllers for 15 I think. Is that a decent substitute for Pro controller?

Did you get from Walmart instore?

.. I can't find any $25 Wii U Pro Controller in my area Portland, Oregon :(. I wonder does instore still have it.
Don't bother going to Salem. Two stores still say they each have two in stock but I went to both last Friday and they couldn't find them.

Well ended up going to check out my local walmart, nothing clearance at all. However, they did have 2 switches sitting there so that presents a new problem... 

I guess you missed out on Target's mini-clearance of Wii U games. Most of them hit 70% off. I picked up a Hyrule Warriors for $18. By the way, I actually recently heard that Hyrule Warriors was $30 somewhere. As I already have a copy, I didn't pay attention to it, but I think it was at Wal-Mart.
Isn't Target clearance YMMV? Because my Target clearance section always has highly undesirable licensed games for DS / PC. And very rarely a good game, like Ground Zeroes for Xbox One. It's not nation-wide, right?

Anyone having trouble locating Zelda for wii u? I pre ordered it from Best Buy and its pretty great im surprised how well it runs in such limited hardware. It proves the wii u was much more powerful than anyone knew.
I think its more of a case of almost no game has ever actually pushed the Wii U, everything from third parties is sloppily ported, and everything from Nintendo has been simple games like 2D Mario, or Pikmin. Only Mario Kart 8, Xenoblade, and Zelda look like they're pushing the hardware. It's sad that this system will go down in history as never truly being pushed to its limits outside of those 3 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, no Wal Mart's near me have Kirby for WiiU. Worse comes to worse I'll get it off eBay.

I was in target earlier and they had several of those GameCube-inspired controllers for 15 I think. Is that a decent substitute for Pro controller?
Nope, because if any of those games require you to press in an analog to do an action you're SOL. If you're using it for games that are either virtual console or Wii that support the classic controller, you'll have better luck. Though if you're talking the PDP Gamecube controllers, those things have a high failure rate and I wouldn't bother unless it's for a one time thing, but I can recommend the Hori ones.

Damn, no Wal Mart's near me have Kirby for WiiU. Worse comes to worse I'll get it off eBay.

Nope, because if any of those games require you to press in an analog to do an action you're SOL. If you're using it for games that are either virtual console or Wii that support the classic controller, you'll have better luck. Though if you're talking the PDP Gamecube controllers, those things have a high failure rate and I wouldn't bother unless it's for a one time thing, but I can recommend the Hori ones.
Thanks. My Wii u should be here later this week. I'll just try the game pad, and if I'm not a fan then I'll just bite the bullet and order a pro.

Can't wait for $10 games for this shitty console. Even at $150 this thing was a waste...Zelda looks okay and is decent gameplay, but it's just a money grab again

Can't wait for $10 games for this shitty console. Even at $150 this thing was a waste...Zelda looks okay and is decent gameplay, but it's just a money grab again
See I was just about to ask: what is a good price for a Wii U console? It's dated and dead but now going to be getting rarer. I saw one at the pawn shop Saturday for $150 and I know I could haggle it down maybe another $20 but even that feels like too much for this. I just really wanna replay Bayo 2 and the zelda reviews have piqued my curiosity. I can be weird with cheapness since I just paid $200 for Nier but hesitate at $130 for an entire console.

Can anyone give me some advice on a good one to purchase? I'm needing to pick one up for my daughters Wii U also.
As posted, go with the name brand one. I'm not sure if there are 3rd party versions of this one, but I've bought 3rd party DS batteries in the past, and everyone was garbage except the "N" branded one.

See I was just about to ask: what is a good price for a Wii U console? It's dated and dead but now going to be getting rarer. I saw one at the pawn shop Saturday for $150 and I know I could haggle it down maybe another $20 but even that feels like too much for this. I just really wanna replay Bayo 2 and the zelda reviews have piqued my curiosity. I can be weird with cheapness since I just paid $200 for Nier but hesitate at $130 for an entire console.
It was $150 at target on clearance two Christmas's ago, though that deal is obviously over, I personally wouldn't pay over that since it should be a standard for which you base the purchase on.

That sucks. I thought Ebay was the last place where free tax was still practice in every state, I guess I was wrong. But hey, still free shipping right? Better than nothing. LOL
Yep, I got *no* shipping charge, but got taxes.

However, I am enrolled in ebay bucks program (I think), I like ebay protection for buyers, and you in fact don't have the shipping. Saving a few bucks with that. Always hate paying shipping!

Am also totally doing the cfw. I've seen that it is the path for me.

EDIT: Just ordered Wii U Nintendo's ebay store. Kind of super excite cause...ironically enough, lots of great games. Mario, Zelda, Fire Emblem, oh my!

For anyone in SoCal, there are 2 pro controllers left at the Colton Walmart. I picked two up this morning for $25 each. There were about half a dozen of the Toad remotes for $20 each.

I need to stay out of these threads. Despite already having a "back up" system in the form of a white Skylanders bundle that I got when clearanced for $150 years ago, I ordered refurb from nintenbay.
Good thing I have miyamotorola tricking double shifts this week.

I wouldn't want to pay over $100ish for a used one at this point. They are completely moddable now which is a major plus to some but it is a dead console. There is one local to me listed on CL for $140 with Windwaker HD + a wiimote+. It has been listed for almost a month without selling. Thought about offering the guy $100 for it so my brother would stop borrowing mine.

yeah how will that work in the future though when the online downloadable levels are no longer supported I wonder? I have yet to buy this game and likely now will wait for the switch. Is there an actual game here and then you go online to find new content.. I will have to research this I guess.

OP happy this thread is here I have been doing this since late last fall and plan on grabbing what I can as it comes up.
I just started playing Mario Maker for the Wii U last week. Its fantastic, I've been unlocking a bunch of goofy characters like Cat Mario and the Famitsu wolf, and plenty others. The community is still thriving and there's tons of courses to play. Even silly 'automatic courses' which are great to simply watch.

Can anyone give me some advice on a good one to purchase? I'm needing to pick one up for my daughters Wii U also.
As others have said, always buy the official brand, they're $50(!) with tax and shipping, but anything else is going to be trash.

This battery that people keep mentioning, is this a replacement for the battery in the tablet controller? I'm planning on finally picking up a Wii U over the next few days, so I'm not exactly an expert on the console. I'm trying to figure out if I should be adding a replacement battery to my shopping list.

Is Hyrule Warriors worth getting at this point? Been thinking about it. How is it controlling with the main pad?

Hyrule Warriors is very fun. I never play the Dynasty games, and I enjoyed HW.

This battery that people keep mentioning, is this a replacement for the battery in the tablet controller? I'm planning on finally picking up a Wii U over the next few days, so I'm not exactly an expert on the console. I'm trying to figure out if I should be adding a replacement battery to my shopping list.
Battery for the Wii U Gamepad. On Nintendo's online shop. Only place to get it I think. I bought it long ago, and it definitely helps.

I was able to nab two wii u pro controllers for $25. Two nunchucks for $10. Two Hori wheels $5 luigi and zelda and the toad remote plus for the wii u. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Jealous of you folks who are finding those pro controllers at $25.  No luck for me.  

I did find a PowerA Wii U pro controller for $15 - picked that up.  Not a fan of the size, though.  I have BIG hands :)

Driving tomorrow to a Walmart 40 mins away to pick up some of those $25 Pro Controllers and $10 Nunchucks (Walmart.com and Brickseek says they have them) and who knows maybe I'll find some other things on clearance since it's a small SMALL town Walmart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driving tomorrow to a Walmart 40 mins away to pick up some of those $25 Pro Controllers and $10 Nunchucks (Walmart.com and Brickseek says they have them) and who knows maybe I'll find some other things on clearance since it's a small SMALL town Walmart.

What's the SKU or whatever for the Pro controller on Brickseek.

It's a replacement, as well as a bigger capacity battery as well. The tablet comes with the low one, which gives you about 3 hrs I believe, and the high capacity probably doubles that. The battery compartment actually has two positions in it. One for the small battery, and one for the large, so out of the gate, "N" knew they would offer the bigger battery, but it comes at the premium price. It doesn't look like they offer the smaller one anymore, but that one would have been cheaper.

I've been searching rigorously the past few days to add to the Wii U collection. I ordered Twilight princess for 40 new on ebay, and Pikimin 3 for 16 from best buy.

Current collection:

Zelda: BOTW, TP, and WW.
Mario kart
Mario 3D
Mario maker
Smash bros
Xenoblade (30 at GS)
Tokyo Mirage (40 at GS)
Pikimin 3 (16 at BB)
Wonderful 101 (30 at amazon)
ZombiU (10 bucks at amazon)
Donkey Kong tropical freeze
Yoshi wooly world

I put any deals I thought were ok in parentheses. The other games besides Zelda were part of my bundle

Any other games a wii u collection should have? I've checked a few top 25 wii u lists and this looks to be the consensus. Is Splatoon of any interest if mainly playing single player?

For anyone who wasn't lucky enough to get Pro controllers at walmart, they're also on clearance at best buy. 40 bucks, so not as good a deal, but still better than MSRP, and I used some RZ certs to take off some of the sting.

Splatoon does have a single-player...and it's a few hours worth of time, but I don't think I would grab it just for that.  Multiplayer in the game is amazing though, and it's one of my favorite games.

I've been using my Pro controller for Zelda...and then I had to use the Gamepad for a shrine.  I didn't realize how good the gamepad buttons and sticks are compared to the Pro controller x.x

Not sure what to sell my Wii U for.    It has lots of digital games.  Super Smash Bros U.  Splatoon.  Mario Maker.  DK:Tropical Freeze.  Game & Wario.  Wii Party U.  Pikmin 3.   Also Kirby:Dreamland Wii and Super Mario Galaxy 2.  Plus Shovel Knight, Runbow, and assorted indie games. OH and lots of VC games.   Around 6 big name N64 games like Zelda:OoT.  MarioKart 64.  Paper Mario. Mario Golf.  Mario Tennis. etc.  Then a handful maybe two handfuls of NES/SNES games.  Plus Nintendoland, WiiPlay and WiiSports discs.

And besides the console and Gamepad itself plus original cables, it has  4  wiimotes, 2-4 nunchuks, a Pro controller and an old hard drive with the games on it.  3rd party power cable for the Gamepad which is handier because it is longer and has the power pack on the end.

I've been searching rigorously the past few days to add to the Wii U collection. I ordered Twilight princess for 40 new on ebay, and Pikimin 3 for 16 from best buy.

Current collection:

Zelda: BOTW, TP, and WW.
Mario kart
Mario 3D
Mario maker
Smash bros
Xenoblade (30 at GS)
Tokyo Mirage (40 at GS)
Pikimin 3 (16 at BB)
Wonderful 101 (30 at amazon)
ZombiU (10 bucks at amazon)
Donkey Kong tropical freeze
Yoshi wooly world

I put any deals I thought were ok in parentheses. The other games besides Zelda were part of my bundle

Any other games a wii u collection should have? I've checked a few top 25 wii u lists and this looks to be the consensus. Is Splatoon of any interest if mainly playing single player?
Are these Nintendo select titles or original prints?

I see a bunch ordering the refurb console listing off Ebay from Nintendo.  Are these indeed refurbs?  I thought people were mentioning getting units that looked Brand New - which would make sense since N pulled all the stock from stores.  So it's a crapshoot whether you get a New unit that was pulled or an actual refurb? 

So tempted to buy one as a backup.  Wii U was not my main console, but it still saw a lot of use and is a launch unit.

I see a bunch ordering the refurb console listing off Ebay from Nintendo. Are these indeed refurbs? I thought people were mentioning getting units that looked Brand New - which would make sense since N pulled all the stock from stores. So it's a crapshoot whether you get a New unit that was pulled or an actual refurb?

So tempted to buy one as a backup. Wii U was not my main console, but it still saw a lot of use and is a launch unit.
Mine was perfect, but I've seen others report of finger prints or smudges, or that the cables may or may not have been new, but still pretty good overall.

nintendo added the toad and yoshi wiimotes on ebay now for $25 so you can save shipping from their site.  Also triforce heroes for $20.

Mine was perfect, but I've seen others report of finger prints or smudges, or that the cables may or may not have been new, but still pretty good overall.
Hmm, think I may have to take a chance. Really hope I get a new one.

Then there is there online store, where they have both black or white 32gb consoles for 200. Both listed as refurb.

I just purchased the white 32gb yesterday directly from Nintendo's online website (not the ebay site). I'll update my post on the condition once I receive it.

Hmm, think I may have to take a chance. Really hope I get a new one.

Then there is there online store, where they have both black or white 32gb consoles for 200. Both listed as refurb.
Yeah, all the "N" ones now are refurbs. If you check over at Gamefaqs, most of the people there report theirs was in new condition as well. I would say maybe 1 out of 10 mentions something not being perfect, but those are the minority for sure.

My 45 min trip to a Walmart in a town of 5000 paid off.

add358e809c7d0d91a5dfad8a3ef7bbc.jpg

Dang sucks that people complained about this thread and it got moved here. I was looking for it so I could thank ya'll. Went to WM today looking for a Pro Controller. BS said there was -2 at my store lol so I was like I guess that mean none. Went hunting around and found one. Got it for $25 as posted here.

Also sale Yoshi with the pink amiibo and Toad Treasure but they were in the glass classes so I didn't get the scan them. Those are still marked as $38.99 correct?

I just purchased the white 32gb yesterday directly from Nintendo's online website (not the ebay site). I'll update my post on the condition once I receive it.
I also purchased the 32gb White from the Nintendo store. Except in my case, the purchase was made earlier today.

I wish you luck, and I've got my fingers crossed for myself.

Dang sucks that people complained about this thread and it got moved here. I was looking for it so I could thank ya'll. Went to WM today looking for a Pro Controller. BS said there was -2 at my store lol so I was like I guess that mean none. Went hunting around and found one. Got it for $25 as posted here.

Also sale Yoshi with the pink amiibo and Toad Treasure but they were in the glass classes so I didn't get the scan them. Those are still marked as $38.99 correct?
Oh well. Their loss. :p

Just subscribe to the thread and no need to worry about finding it. I didn't even know it was moved! Lol

As for Pink Yoshi/Toad it was on clearance for $19.99 for awhile but unfortunately it's now back at $39.99. Had one scanned the other day.

*watches this thread with interest*

So, I guess its time for me to finally pick up a Wii U. In addition to my original Wii games, I've gotten a few cheap games for the system over the years (HD Zeldas, Xenoblade, some party games, my husband has some of the Lego Dimensions toys because he collects Legos) I just don't have the system yet. I also want to play Zelda Breath of the Wild but I'm not even going to consider buying a Switch for awhile (I just refuse to buy a console with minimal games at launch). Its certainly going to be fun scrambling for cheap Wii U stuff over the next few months.

I ordered a refurb black unit from Nintendo yesterday so we'll see if it actually ships (I tried ordering one from them a few years back from the Nintendo website, and my order was cancelled because they went "out of stock," lets hope history doesn't repeat itself).

i was able to find a pro controller! tip: if you can't find any of the mentioned stuff on here, they have a clearance section apparently. any thoughts/ideas if these controllers will drop even more? i bought one on sale for $40 dollars last year and still havent used them  :booty:

Yeah, I was looking for this thread and couldn't find it, lol.  I didn't realize it got moved.  I'm maybe 2-3 games from "completing" my list.  Xenoblade & Tokyo Mirage Sessions aren't my type of game but if I find them at $20 or below, I'll definitely buy them.

Btw, has anyone seen the new Brickseek layout?  

bread's done
Back