Wii U for $99 at Sears (YMMV?)

APHughes

CAGiversary!
Saw a post on reddit so I called the Seattle Sears location and they had 2 in stock of the 32GB launch consoles. They showed as $199 but I asked him to ring them up and they came up as $99. I had him hold both for me and when I picked them up I had him check the Seattle area for more but none in stock.

This is only for the Nintendo Land bundle, NOT the Zelda or Mario bundles.

Good Luck

EDIT:picture http://m.imgur.com/kS0TkOe
http://m.imgur.com/egTJvT8

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it was great. Most stuff wasn't tagged correctly either so you could wait for games to keep dropping in price every month until they got a price you wanted and they had a much better selection of games back then too. Then when the employees would ring up a game tagged $59.97 and it scanned for $0.97 it was always interesting to see how they would react. Same thing with KMart, back when games used to get to 90% off and still in the system so you didn't have to hope that a manger would agree to the 90% off price.
I caught the tail end of the Sears clearance glory days (which is what first led me to CAG when I just lurked). It was always a thrill to bring your scan sheet on those Fridays for the drops, or just randomly pick up a stack and head on over to the self scanners (when they had decently sized dump bins).

I remember picking up a few games for a quarter each, and the sales rep asked me if I wanted to tack on the warranty for another $0.02.

Kmart clearance at the end of the sixth Gen was godly. None of the employees gave enough of a shit to organize/sticker the case, so stuff fell back into limbo all the time. Best deal I ever got was Xbox Psychonauts for $3.

Super bummed this didn't pan out for my buddy since now hr won't have a Wii U for multiplayer till Smash.

How long did it last? What games did you score?
The game that was tagged for $59.99 and scanned for $0.97 was Full Auto 2 for PS3. Some others I remember were Guitar Hero 3 Bundles for XBox 360 for $5, a lot of GBA, Gamecube and original XBox games for $0.25 - $0.97 (not anything like 1st party Nintendo games at that price though), PSP games like Hot Shots Golf for $2.97, Zelda Twilight Princess for Gamecube for $9.97, Gamecube and PS2 systems for $19.97 and many I just can't think of right now. I remember really building up my original XBox game collection from the clearances and it seemed like practically every month there was at least a few games that were at amazing prices, sometimes a lot more.

I would say Sears clearance was really good from 2003/2004 to maybe 2010 or 2011 when they stopped lowering prices as often. There was also a lot less "competition" back then too.

I caught the tail end of the Sears clearance glory days (which is what first led me to CAG when I just lurked). It was always a thrill to bring your scan sheet on those Fridays for the drops, or just randomly pick up a stack and head on over to the self scanners (when they had decently sized dump bins).

I remember picking up a few games for a quarter each, and the sales rep asked me if I wanted to tack on the warranty for another $0.02.
I remember being asked about the warranty on the cheap games too. For one game that was $1.97 the worker said for $0.15 I can get the warranty and then if the game breaks I can get a $1.97 giftcard. I'd throw the game out if it broke before going to the trouble to file a warranty claim for under $2.

I went to Sears today and the guy knew exactly what I was talking about, but he said that they went quick. Hopefully another deal pops up before MK8.

They also had a 4gb 360 for about $130.

Thanks for posting that information. You saved me a ton of gas. I'll either wait til Black Friday to get one or I'll keep on waiting. I'm not in a rush to get a Wii U, but it's the only system that I don't have. I picked most of the games pretty cheap so they can sit there for the time being. I had my friend check the Walden Galleria Sears location, and they only had the Mario And Luigi Bundle which was $299.99...Called the Amherst, NY location and they didn't have it either. Those were the only stores that I was going to check.
Thanks for the heads up. Figured the Galleria was probably a bust...and didn't really have the ambition to waste the gas/time to run up to Amherst. Definitely would have grabbed one if I'd found it for $99, though. Not all that psyched about the wii u, but at that price, I'd grab it just to play my old wii games and the handful of wii u games I'm interested in.

No Luck on my end they only had the mario and luige one's at full price.

THen again I dont even have a PS3 rather get that vs. a Wii U :D

Not sure if anyone had luck in kingsport tennessee, but i tried and they didn't have any in stock except the  mario and luigi one for 299.99  i was really hoping to get one too.

Um, it makes a lot of sense, actually. If you could pick and choose what to transfer freely it would allow for game sharing. Just transfer a game or two to your friend, and they could do the same. It would be beyond stupid. Nobody allows that sort of thing, and for good reason.
Oh yeah, because nothing is killing Nintendo faster than when I share my physical copy of 3D Land or Fire Emblem with my friends. Hell, I just loaned out my copy of Yoshi's New Island so I guess it's my fault the game is getting panned critically. And obviously that's why every game only has one save file. :roll:

Game sharing hasn't killed Sony, Valve, or Microsoft. It's Nintendo's incompetence/greed, and nothing more, that prevent the features we take for granted on every other fucking electronic device today.

Seriously, nothing annoys me worse than when people go out of their way to defend shitty anti-consumer practices. If people had that kind of submissive ass kissing attitude when I was a tyke segregation would still be a thing :???:

Last edited:
Oh yeah, because nothing is killing Nintendo faster than when I share my physical copy of 3D Land or Fire Emblem with my friends. Hell, I just loaned out my copy of Yoshi's New Island so I guess it's my fault the game is getting panned critically. And obviously that's why every game only has one save file. :roll:

Game sharing hasn't killed Sony, Valve, or Microsoft. It's Nintendo's incompetence/greed, and nothing more, that prevent the features we take for granted on every other fucking electronic device today.

Seriously, nothing annoys me worse than when people go out of their way to defend shitty anti-consumer practices. If people had that kind of submissive ass kissing attitude when I was a tyke segregation would still be a thing :???:
Couldn't agree more. It seems to me that Nintendo really doesn't trust it's customers. They have a strange mentality that people are going to rip them off, so they implement ridiculous anti-consumer DRM. They're way behind the times when it comes to reasonable rights management. It really doesn't help them compete when they stubbornly refuse to ease up on these harsh policies.

I happened to be next to a Sears this afternoon. I knew I wouldn't be able to cash in on this deal but I figured I'd check the gaming section, if only to see how it was doing these days.

Lord... it was like Katrina hit Detroit after an atomic bomb went off. 

Didn't find a wii u but I did score s sony shelf system on clearance for $60. Does a hell of a lot better job than a boombox, every shower is a concert now haha

I'd buy it at 99.99 in a heartbeat, but my Sears wanted to get rid of all its video game stock months ago. 

Did anyone actually get in on this deal? I didn't even bother going to my local Sears since this is just too YMMV to even try, especially since the only Sears near me are in 2 malls.

I happened to be next to a Sears this afternoon. I knew I wouldn't be able to cash in on this deal but I figured I'd check the gaming section, if only to see how it was doing these days.

Lord... it was like Katrina hit Detroit after an atomic bomb went off.
deadmanny.png

LOL, sorry to bump this but I haven't laughed so hard all week.

So wrong but we know it's true. Just another reason I couldn't be bothered to actually step foot into this place without guaranteed stock. Congrats to those who got one, though.

Picked one up on saturday in El Paso TX from sears. It rang up for 199. still pretty good. It was the Nintendo Land Bundle

When I found mine in San Jose, Ca, the cashier was shocked at the price. He seemed disappointed. I imagine he would have bought it, if he had known.

bread's done
Back