Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Deader2818']No, 3D mario refers to Galaxy type games.[/QUOTE]

I know what it means, but that email that's cited doesn't say anything about a 3D Mario.

Nintendo expects to launch new titles in the Mario Kart (Wii U), Super Mario Bros. (Wii U), Wii Fit (Wii U), Pikmin (Wii U), The Legend of Zelda (Wii U and Nintendo 3DS), Mario & Luigi (Nintendo 3DS) and Pokémon (Nintendo 3DS) franchises.

I know it likely means a 3D Mario, but it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo has done something off the wall.

Its 3D Mario. They already said that before in their last Wii U Nintendo Direct when they showed Wind Waker HD, SMT X Fire Emblem, etc.

If it was another 2D mario, it would say New Super Mario Bros since its a different franchise.

There are no new deals on the eShop this week, but that Rayman Legends Challenges App is out now for free.

The Online Challenges Mode includes:
  • a crazy run through the Land of the Livid Dead,
  • a dizzying descent into the Neverending Pit,
  • a fast and frantic sprint through the Infinite Tower,
  • a synchronized adventure through Murfy’s Dungeon, a challenge dedicated to the Wii U GamePad where one player controls Murfy on the touch screen while another controls one of the classic characters such as Rayman.
The demo will also allow players to discover and improve on their Awesomeness Level, which can be increased by winning cups at the end of challenges and levels. The bigger the cup you win, the more points you will earn. Similar to experience level, players will increase their Awesomeness Level to unlock the Daily and Weekly Extreme Challenges dedicated to the most competitive Rayman Legends players. Additionally, players can collect lums during the challenges to unlock several exclusive characters throughout the game.

I dunno, if you ask me, Nintendo skipping E3 says that they have absolutely nothing to showcase, and don't want to get hammered for having another lackluster showing. That's a very bad omen if you ask me.

[quote name='spmahn']I dunno, if you ask me, Nintendo skipping E3 says that they have absolutely nothing to showcase, and don't want to get hammered for having another lackluster showing. That's a very bad omen if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

They are not skipping E3.

[quote name='Deader2818']They are not skipping E3.[/QUOTE]

Ok, not skipping per se, but skipping the press conferences. From the sounds of it, they'll probably have the same demo booth I saw at PAX East which was essentially the same booth I saw at last years New York Comic Con.

[quote name='spmahn']I dunno, if you ask me, Nintendo skipping E3 says that they have absolutely nothing to showcase, and don't want to get hammered for having another lackluster showing. That's a very bad omen if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

It'd be one thing if they weren't doing Nintendo Direct. I feel like they're just comfortable enough with their own format.

[quote name='ActionKazimer']It'd be one thing if they weren't doing Nintendo Direct. I feel like they're just comfortable enough with their own format.[/QUOTE]

The thing with Nintendo Direct though, is that they're really only addressing people who already own their products. With an E3 press conference, you're addressing a much wider audience and keeping your brand out there. Even if they really don't have anything new to show, it keeps them relevant and keeps peoples interest and awareness up.

[quote name='SEH']The thing with Nintendo Direct though, is that they're really only addressing people who already own their products. With an E3 press conference, you're addressing a much wider audience and keeping your brand out there. Even if they really don't have anything new to show, it keeps them relevant and keeps peoples interest and awareness up.[/QUOTE]

Why do people think that? Has everyone been given a secret handshake and a decoder ring to intercept these broadcasts?

And ok, maybe these won't land a segment on CNN (how much that matters, I'm not sure), but did someone really say that IGN won't cover Nintendo Directs? Heck, there were articles leading up to it, prediction articles, and then a breakdown of what was covered, etc etc etc.

People think that because it's true. Sure, some people who don't own a 3DS or Wii-U will tune in to a Nintendo Direct, but the majority of the people watching are people who already own their product/s and have a vested interest.

Lets put it this way, parents/grandparents watch the 5 minutes CNN Tech blurb. They show parts of the MS keynote with Kinect and kids games plus more adult oriented stuff. Then they show a quick blurb of the PS4 keynote and show some kids stuff with Move (will that be in the box?) and more adult oriented games. Then they don't show Nintendo because there is no keynote.

These people are now going to be looking solely at Xbox/PS4 for the holiday season. I don't care what people say, this is NOT a good thing.

I happen to agree with this opinion piece.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...eynote-is-penny-wise_2c00_-pound-foolish.aspx

Menus are definitely much faster and (GOOD LORD FINALLY) discs no longer spin constantly. Now they only spin on the home menu, when you're playing, and in the 'background' (Internet, MiiVerse, etc) apps.

Honestly, that alone was worth this for me. My lazy ass can switch to Netflix without having to get up and eject a disc now. Hooray.

[quote name='007']Menus are definitely much faster and (GOOD LORD FINALLY) discs no longer spin constantly. Now they only spin on the home menu, when you're playing, and in the 'background' (Internet, MiiVerse, etc) apps.

Honestly, that alone was worth this for me. My lazy ass can switch to Netflix without having to get up and eject a disc now. Hooray.[/QUOTE]

I never noticed the disc spinning all the time. I probably just haven't played it all that much ;).

I did bust out NintendoLand upon my son's request the other day. That is a seriously underrated (by CAGs and gamerdudes in general) game. The Zelda and Pikmin coop games get seriously tough. They are as hardcore as any 360/PS3 game. And for the first time I finally tried a few of the single-player games. There is just a ton of content there. But I guess most people just can't get past the up-front cutesy theme park look and the Wii's (and by extension Wii U's) reputation for bad mini game collections.

Yeah, discs spun no matter what you did before, even entering Wii Mode. :S Loading is much improved, with it being 40% faster in most areas to 75% faster in returning to the menu from in-games. Some things still aren't improved though, like returning to the menu from settings and Netflix. They also fixed Overscan for older TV's, which is nice. You can also download updates while it's off; I don't know if game/systems updates can be delivered that way like it is on 3DS, but it'd be nice.

I agree with you about Nintendoland, that is a hardcore game wrapped in a casual wrapper.

Donkey Kong Crash Course is hard as hell. Reminded me of bit trip runner, where if you remember the patterns, it goes by smoothly, but you can screw up if you're not careful

yay! the overscan is fixed! That alone makes this update worthwhile. Background/stand-by downloading is icing on the cake. (yes, these should have been default features, but still good to see them implemented).

This update broke Netflix on my console.

I was only able to fire it up ten minutes or so before I had to go to work. Launched Kirby's Adventure; no issues. Back to the main menu was quick!

Launched Netflix.....and I sat....at the main menu....for at least 20 seconds. Once Netflix did open, I got the red "Netflix" screen on the Gamepad for a few seconds, before it went to a black screen. And, that's it. Sound still continues to play from the Gamepad, but, the application never fully launched. I gave the black screen five minutes or so before trying to head to the Home menu; which it wouldn't let me do.

I eventually had to hard power down the console. I then tried it a second time; same result.

Did the same to me. Got it running the second time, though. At least when it crashed I could hit the power button on the console rather than ripping out the plug.

Virtual Console games are up on the store, but the storefront has not been updated with any direct links yet.

You can however find them if you search for Virtual Console. If you have transferred titles over from the Wii into the Wii U's Wii mode a corresponding Wii U title will show "Discount" and the reduced price.

It's nice that they enhanced the download queue so you can better manage what you want to download first, though it's not much of an issue with the way the eShop currently lacks games.

There also needs to be a much better way to save screenshots than the lazy method that's available now where you have to pause the game, go the Miiverse, make a post, and then go to the website to grab the url for the image. It needs an upload option to Twitter, Facebook, or something like Flickr to make it quick and easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CHEAP ASS DUDE']$5 NES games
$8 SNES games

lol[/QUOTE]
Actually by value, it's a better deal, since you get the off-screen play feature compared to the Wii versions for the same price. If they increased the price that would have been a different story.

Besides the point, try finding a legal way to play Earthbound cheaper than $8, then laugh.

fyi - i checked the pricing on SMW since i had it on my wii and it was only $1.50. I know this was announced, i just had my doubts it would work for some reason.

In addition to the overscan setting, it seems like they fixed the horizontal skew of the Wii emulation. The vertical is still off with black bars but now I don't have to go into my TV's service menu every time I want to play Xenoblade. AWRIGHT

Wasn't sure if this deserved a new thread since it's just heresay, but it seems that Pikmin is coming out in July. This is from The-magicbox "Saturo Iwata said that the Wii U has lost momentum and it didn't sell as good as Nintendo has planned. The reasons are not enough first party games such that customer expectations were not met. He hopes the situation would change with the release of Pikmin 3 in July. There will be more and more major games appear for the Wii u, so that the Wii U business is revived."

[quote name='Gden']Wasn't sure if this deserved a new thread since it's just heresay, but it seems that Pikmin is coming out in July. This is from The-magicbox "Saturo Iwata said that the Wii U has lost momentum and it didn't sell as good as Nintendo has planned. The reasons are not enough first party games such that customer expectations were not met. He hopes the situation would change with the release of Pikmin 3 in July. There will be more and more major games appear for the Wii u, so that the Wii U business is revived."[/QUOTE]

It is coming out August 4th in North America.

[quote name='Gden']Wasn't sure if this deserved a new thread since it's just heresay, but it seems that Pikmin is coming out in July. This is from The-magicbox "Saturo Iwata said that the Wii U has lost momentum and it didn't sell as good as Nintendo has planned. The reasons are not enough first party games such that customer expectations were not met. He hopes the situation would change with the release of Pikmin 3 in July. There will be more and more major games appear for the Wii u, so that the Wii U business is revived."[/QUOTE]

His mention of July is in reference to the Japanese release the US release is August 4th!

Question (sorry if this has been asked and/or answered already):

I downloaded the Panorama View trailer to see how it is, because I love to travel and think the idea is pretty cool. I thought the quality was meh though. Are the paid versions of a higher quality? Also, do you have control of the view (pause, fast forward etc) with the paid version?

Thanks!

Downloading the new System Update now. I don't know if they included it but there should be a way to just auto update the system, or at least just auto download it like 3DS does.

Also excited for Earthbound. I will be buying that to support the series. Although I am still waiting on my motherfucking Pilotwings 64.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Downloading the new System Update now. I don't know if they included it but there should be a way to just auto update the system, or at least just auto download it like 3DS does.

Also excited for Earthbound. I will be buying that to support the series. Although I am still waiting on my motherfucking Pilotwings 64.[/QUOTE]

You should check your settings, my update did auto download.

The system seemingly needs to be on for this to occur, but after a session of Batman AC my system just asked me if I was ready to update.

[quote name='renique46']lmao Nintendo might have just seen a surge of wii u's sold if that certain "rumor" is true.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't find anything. Care to share?

Ugh. That's never good news.

Anyway, figured this was as good a place as any to ask... anyone know what's going on with the release date for Deus Ex? All articles from the beginning of April said May 7th, but nothing has been updated since. Amazon doesn't have a date listed, and GameStop and TRU don't even have a listing for it at all. Is it still coming next week or has it just sort of quietly slipped back and no one has mentioned it?

Never seen so many people excited hoping that would somehow make it region free, what the hell is even out to play besides dragon quest X?

[quote name='007']Ugh. That's never good news.

Anyway, figured this was as good a place as any to ask... anyone know what's going on with the release date for Deus Ex? All articles from the beginning of April said May 7th, but nothing has been updated since. Amazon doesn't have a date listed, and GameStop and TRU don't even have a listing for it at all. Is it still coming next week or has it just sort of quietly slipped back and no one has mentioned it?[/QUOTE]

http://nintendoeverything.com/120387/esrb-updates-42913/

It just got the rating now, so expect a delay most likely.

bread's done
Back